Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2022, 11:26   #35101
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Video of an extremely unfortunate accident that happened couple of weeks ago on Thamarashery ghats between Kozhikode and Wayanad. A boulder rolled over from the hills and knocked off a rider, pillion and his bike. The unfortunate rider was killed.

(The video report is in Malayalam)

more about the incident here: https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...rassery-g.html
sandsun7 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 11:39   #35102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Video of an extremely unfortunate accident that happened couple of weeks ago on Thamarashery ghats between Kozhikode and Wayanad. A boulder rolled over from the hills and knocked off a rider, pillion and his bike. The unfortunate rider was killed.
Oh man. What are the odds of that happening! :( What a way to go. Really unfortunate turn of events.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 11:54   #35103
BHPian

Quote:
What an unfortunate event from the rider perspective. No matter the reason behind the boulder coming down, this was just bad luck for the rider. May his soul RIP.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:03   #35104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A boulder rolled over from the hills and knocked off a rider, pillion and his bike. The unfortunate rider was killed.
Quite similar to the incident shared in this thread a few weeks back where a boy on a bicycle rolled down a hill. This video highlights how fortunate everyone was in that incident.

Really unfortunate for the rider in this case.
Old 29th April 2022, 14:53   #35105
BHPian

Quote:
Video of an extremely unfortunate accident ....
Oh man!!! What a sad way to go!

It was just about being at the wrong place at the wrong time!

In all the accidents on this thread, this one shows how unpredictable roads can be! No matter how much ever cautious and alert we remain, the inevitable will happen some or the other way!

RIP departed souls! May Almighty give strength to the family of the deceased!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 18:23   #35106
BHPian

Quote:
The video just sent shivers down my spine.

During my 4 years of B.Tech in Calicut, riding up this churam (ghat) for just having a tea at Lakkidi was a thing for many riders like us. My ancestral place is Wayanad so I used to regularly ride up to meet my folks over at Mananthavady as well!

Somehow, this just hit too close to home for me.

In the news report, the reporter is saying that in the history of this road a boulder falling down and causing an accident is a first. I have to agree; during my 4 years over there, I have heard of countless freak incidents but this is something that nobody would have ever expected.

So sad. I feel for the fellow riders as well, watching your friend carve the corners only to get knocked off by a random rock!
krishnakumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 19:26   #35107
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Very very unfortunate incident.

If it is frequently happening, then highway authority (state or center, it doesn't matter), needs to build a protection wall or put a mesh to catch falling rocks.
Old 2nd May 2022, 09:42   #35108
BHPian

This accident happened on Hoskote-Chintamani road, at approx 2.30 am. This is opposite to Sowparnika apartment, not much information is available as of now, may be overtaking has gone wrong?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220502wa0003.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220502wa0001.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220502wa0000.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20220502wa0002.jpg
SS80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 07:59   #35109
BHPian

One more case of a car underriding a parked tanker. Apparently this happened before dawn due to driver falling asleep behind the wheel.
Happened on Chennai Mathurathakam(?) highway according to Prateek Singh

A 6 month old infant and the driver both died.
TRoc is a CBU and Euro NCAP 5 star rated car. Proof that the build quality of the car doesn’t help much in such accidents. Never drive when drowsy
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-049dc0ba70d2471995f06b3da20a6939.jpeg  

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 4th May 2022 at 08:02. Reason: Grammar
StopUnderrides is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 20:34   #35110
Distinguished - BHPian

This father on the wrong side of law was driving with his family including wife and two sons on his bike on May 1st. It met with a serious accident at around 8.00 pm near Panvel (W. Mah) . Wife and his seven year old son were riding pillion while the youngest, a five year old was seated on the bike's petrol tank. Near the winding Karnala gorge the Dad lost control of his bike and hit a wall. All the four were thrown off the bike. They suffered injuries and were rushed to the MGM hospital. Critically injured, the youngest son died. Panvel police have booked the Dad for negligent driving causing death of his son and injuries to his family members.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...ource=inshorts

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th May 2022 at 20:36.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:13   #35111
BHPian

Another case of over speeding on infamous palm beach road.

Two youngsters lost their lives and third one, the one at the wheels is struggling with life at hospital.

Late night luxury ride gone wrong.

Name:  Palm Beach Accident.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  46.3 KB

Apparently car went out of control, crashed in the road divider and hit an electric pole at very high speed. Happened at around 3:30 am, 3rd May'22.

Difficult to make out which car it is.

HT

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th May 2022 at 12:07. Reason: Spacing
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:38   #35112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This father on the wrong side of law was driving with his family including wife and two sons on his bike on May 1st.
Now I know the father was wrong but the amount of people you see do this on daily basis is ridiculously high. I see many such families where the situation is exact, bigger child between dad and mom and younger on petrol tank. Or in some cases, the mom sitting side ways and carrying a small baby in her hand. It is so scary looking at it.

And here I am who gave up and sold my bike as soon as I had my first born as I has strict "no kid on bike policy".

But I know a friend of my dad who we not really well to do and he would transport his family (wife and 2 kids) from Vasai to Vikroli on highway on a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
A 6 month old infant and the driver both died.
TRoc is a CBU and Euro NCAP 5 star rated car. Proof that the build quality of the car doesn’t help much in such accidents. Never drive when drowsy
Checking the picture, seems the cabin is intact and I am 100% sure the infant was not secured in any way which is a norm in India. My little one (3.5 years) hates car seats and still we force him to be seated and got a taste of (slightly) hard braking when my wife was driving and he was not secured in car seat, just was sitting. My wife had to brake a little hard and my little one fell down from his seat. We now keep telling him what will happen if he didn't stay secured. My elder one (7.5 years) is not fussy and has extensive experience of car seats as he always rode in one while we were in US.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th May 2022 at 12:07. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
raksrules is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 17:01   #35113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
.. bigger child between dad and mom and younger on petrol tank. Or in some cases, the mom sitting side ways and carrying a small baby in her hand. It is so scary looking at it.
Once upon a time, this was how most families in India travelled. Most folks would have had this experience in their childhood. Forget carrying small babies in hand, mothers were adept at carrying quite a big child on their lap while sitting sideward.

On a positive note, scenarios such as the one quoted above are a rare sight these days atleast in Bangalore.

I hope our society as a whole continues to become more and more safety conscious with time with safety awareness being inculcated right in school.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 5th May 2022 at 17:11.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 18:40   #35114
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

It is at times like these that BHPians react with an 'elitist' mindset :
- why is a family of 4 travelling on a bike
- why are people in rural areas travelling on makeshift jugaad vehicles, tractors, and pile on 18-20 of them into a force toofan or a longwheelbase Mahindra jeep
- why are people travelling in city outskirts, 8-10 people in a share auto
- why are people buying 0 star rated small cars

The truth :
India is a poor country, it is marked 'developing' because, the disproportionate amount of wealth distribution evens out the per-capita number, despite the huge population. Such is the wealth disparity.

Sitting in a swanky apartment or a gated community villa in an urban megalopolis (majority of BHPians are city based, even mostly metro based), it's easy for a BHP-ian to say "don't they care about their family ?", whenever news about two wheeler accidents or accidents involving other unofficial forms of public transport pop up in this thread.

Honestly, this attitude is insolent & insensitive.

Majority of people are poor, they cannot afford "safe" transport - the taxation on vehicles is super-high and taxation on fuel is stratospheric. It's simply not possible for people from lower income groups. Yet, their life has to move on.

Whenever news about such accidents is shared in this forum, instead of gloating how we ensure that our children are always safely transported , or questioning "who in their right mind would carry a child on a bike's petrol tank?", the only thing for us to say is "it's unfortunate". Or even keep quiet, rather.

Last edited by venkyhere : 5th May 2022 at 18:46.
venkyhere is offline   (119) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 22:37   #35115
Team-BHP Support

Here is an accident waiting to happen - on the Hyderabad highway, a couple of nights ago. The car undertook us. Stopped PPS Ford and then did a launch and passed us as you can observe. I was at 80km/h

ajmat is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks