Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2022, 23:01   #35116
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Once upon a time, this was how most families in India travelled. Most folks would have had this experience in their childhood. Forget carrying small babies in hand, mothers were adept at carrying quite a big child on their lap while sitting sideward.

On a positive note, scenarios such as the one quoted above are a rare sight these days atleast in Bangalore.

I hope our society as a whole continues to become more and more safety conscious with time with safety awareness being inculcated right in school.
I'm glad to know it is getting rare in Bangalore. Absolutely not so in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
It is at times like these that BHPians react with an 'elitist' mindset :
- why is a family of 4 travelling on a bike ....
I know. Every time I talk or post about this, I remind myself of my elite position as a car driver and I cannot defend that. But I still believe that a bike is no place for children, let alone babies.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 10:29   #35117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Here is an accident waiting to happen - on the Hyderabad highway, a couple of nights ago. The car undertook us. Stopped PPS Ford and then did a launch and passed us as you can observe. I was at 80km/h
That's called Tempting Fate. Like you said, it's just an accident waiting to happen. Not "if" but "when"!

Wonder what goes on in their minds when they drive like this.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 10:32   #35118
Senior - BHPian

Car - Bus collision claims two lives near Kengeri (report in Deccan Herald)

Quote:
A 22-year-old youth and an 18-year-old woman were killed after the car they were travelling in jumped the median, entered the opposite side of the road and collided with a mini bus. The accident took place near the BDA toll gate near Kengeri in Bengaluru West on Thursday evening. Both the car and the mini bus toppled. While the bus driver suffered serious injuries, a few passengers in the bus were hurt.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 19:08   #35119
Senior - BHPian

Another car-bus collision resulting in loss of life.

The news report is in Malayalam and includes the dashcam footage from the bus. This is one of the buses from the new KSTRC-Swift service.
Old 7th May 2022, 01:01   #35120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Another car-bus collision resulting in loss of life.

The news report is in Malayalam and includes the dashcam footage from the bus. This is one of the buses from the new KSTRC-Swift service.
Accident happened just after 11pm, so drowsy car driver might not be the likely cause. Seems like driver was somehow distracted and missed to make correction for the turn in road.

Another point to note, the CCTV/ dashcam in bus doesn't have any speed reading. The antenna is disconnected. Deliberately ?? To prevent self-incrimination for speeding ??
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 01:29   #35121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Another point to note, the CCTV/ dashcam in bus doesn't have any speed reading. The antenna is disconnected. Deliberately ?? To prevent self-incrimination for speeding ??
Unfortunately for them, it’s not the only way to deduce the vehicle’s speed .

Measure the distance between 2 prominent stationary points that appear in the video, divide it by the time taken to cover this distance and you have the speed of the vehicle!

Even in this case, people familiar with the area should be able to find some points and do this exercise on google maps.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 07:31   #35122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Measure the distance between 2 prominent stationary points that appear in the video, divide it by the time taken to cover this distance and you have the speed of the vehicle!
"We are going well," said he, looking out the window and glancing at his watch. "Our rate at present is fifty-three and a half miles an hour."

"I have not observed the quarter-mile posts," said I.

"Nor have I. But the telegraph posts upon this line are sixty yards apart, and the calculation is a simple one."
binand is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 13:05   #35123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
That's called Tempting Fate. Like you said, it's just an accident waiting to happen. Not "if" but "when"!

Wonder what goes on in their minds when they drive like this.
I am reminded of an incident several years ago when I was traveling with my family in my Dzire to Goa from Pune. There was a Chevy Cruze which was being driven by a lady with some other people on board and she was driving pretty rashly on the Khambatki ghat section. We all observed this. And about an hour or so later, I found that there was a commotion on a bridge. Passing through slowly, we realized that the same car had turned turtle and people were all around, looking inside if they could pull anyone out. We were shocked, needless to say, but moved on , and unconsciously I too eased off the pedal for some time.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 7th May 2022 at 13:07.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 15:47   #35124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Here is an accident waiting to happen - on the Hyderabad highway, a couple of nights ago. The car undertook us. Stopped PPS Ford and then did a launch and passed us as you can observe. I was at 80km/h

https://Youtu.be/YkJNrs9KL9A
I have observed this many times in Hyderabad. Premium cars being driven very rashly at great speeds. This is much rarer in Bangalore. Don't know the reason. Is the police more lax in Hyderabad especially with rich people. Or Bangalore is to clogged for any one to reach that speed?
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 20:42   #35125
Senior - BHPian

Accident on the Pamban Bridge - Hyundai Venue hits a bike, throwing the driver into the water and severely injuring the pillion rider.

Couldn't find an English article, here's one from a Tamil news site (translated).

The article says that the pillion rider succumbed to injuries, while the rider who was thrown into the water was rescued and is in hospital.

The Venue's occupants were safe, one of them suffered minor injuries.

Looking at the pics and video, it seems either the driver of the Venue lost control/ slept behind the wheels and ended up in the side walk, or was trying to avoid someone and ended up oversteering into the kerb (sidewalk)...
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 21:29   #35126
BHPian

Happened on a flyover in Paschim Vihar, from the looks of it the women must have been driving at quite a high speed.
I have travelled on the same road at almost all timings and it looks like a busy day I don't understand why was she speeding.

And the worst is no guilt in the eyes of the daughter of women after what her mother did, all she was shouting was 'Shut down the recording' not an ounce of remorse after most probably killing an innocent guy.

As most people have smartphone nowadays, atleast she won't be able to get someone innocent to stand on trial in place of her.

This is the only reason my father doesn't let me ride a two wheeler long distances and neither i do let him.
revvharder is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 22:35   #35127
BHPian

I read in an article elsewhere that the driver is already in custody so hopefully the law does its job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
And the worst is no guilt in the eyes of the daughter of women after what her mother did, all she was shouting was 'Shut down the recording' not an ounce of remorse after most probably killing an innocent guy.
Just another perspective: different people respond in different ways when in shock. She witnessed a person dying first hand and is likely saying what she thinks is important.

Let's not judge people when they're their most vulnerable.
lordtottuu is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 09:15   #35128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtottuu View Post
Just another perspective: different people respond in different ways when in shock. She witnessed a person dying first hand and is likely saying what she thinks is important.

Let's not judge people when they're their most vulnerable.
This.

It is a sad, sad event and the driver must face the consequences for her actions. But shock is a state even the best of us can flounder in.
asmr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 10:45   #35129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post

Not gonna lie, but I think it was a very natural reaction from a child. Heaven forbid, but if any of us get into a similar situation where our parent does something in public, accidentally or inadvertently or deliberately...and then onlookers whip out their phones and point it at our parent, how would we react?

I am no one to judge others. I leave it to the judicial system to sort matters. And from I read, I think the law has caught up to the driver.
DriverR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 11:13   #35130
BHPian

Name:  allwyn_070522_accident.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  accident.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  38.0 KB

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/91408145.cms

Innova and KSRTC collision near Sathanur. Apparently, the Innova driver dozed off as he's driving from Udupi.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 8th May 2022 at 11:27. Reason: repeated messages are trimmed
chaitanyakrish is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks