Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 11:56   #35206
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Feel really bad for all those who lost their lives due to the time taken for rescue. Have been to Jalori Pass couple of times in my Triber, and other official vehicles, and it really requires skills to drive your vehicle due to both the steep ascent and descent. Moreover, as written in the news, very few locals drive there in the night, because all these passes are considered dangerous at night, and especially for tourists, driving downhill with engine braking is tough, and it takes a toll on the brakes of the vehicles as well, with clutch heating and brake fails a common phenomenon.

Again, really sad for the loss! May their souls rest in peace.
True I was on the very same pass in my Isuzu V-cross last week. I did it from Jibhi side to and fro. The route is steep and while climbing the Isuzu being heavy 2+ tons has a tough time climbing if momentum is broken. Having driven on such roads many times I always knew it's more dangerous down hill. Used ample of engine braking including 1st gear for down hill drive on the long section of Hairpins. The Local Alto guys honked at me in full glory, I would simply put my hand out and apologize and give them way at the first opportunity. At half way downhill I could smell the brakes so took a 10 mins stop where space was available and enjoyed the views. My wife asked me why I stopped and I explained her and the kids the whole reason why I stopped.

Other than the local Alto cars a lot of CH and DL cars (Mostly SUVs) overtook me while going downhill.

Watch this video for how I did it.

Example of how I allowed faster cars to pass.

Very sad for the lives lost RIP

Last edited by tazmaan : 19th May 2022 at 12:09.
tazmaan is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 16:59   #35207
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sad to see the loss of such young lives in a tragic accident. RIP.

I observed that the car involved in the accident was a Rental? These cars are not usually maintained in the best of the shape especially when it comes to braking system.

The brake pads and the brake fluid must be in excellent condition when climbing down any hill. Organic brake pads fade pretty soon on repeated braking which causes the system to overheat. Semi metallic pads or ceramic pads are the best since they have a wide operating temperature range.
sagarpadaki is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 17:42   #35208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Moreover, as written in the news, very few locals drive there in the night, because all these passes are considered dangerous at night, and especially for tourists, driving downhill with engine braking is tough, and it takes a toll on the brakes of the vehicles as well, with clutch heating and brake fails a common phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Only braking isn't enough as brakes get hot and loose their ability almost completely.
That's exactly what has happened. As per one of the survivors, they had burning smell emanating and they had stopped to check what was wrong. This was few mins before the accident. No one in the group was aware that the brakes would burn out in such conditions and lead to failure. They wrongly assumed it was the tyres due to heavy braking. They continued with the journey and within minutes in that fatal turn the brakes failed. Though they weren't speeding driver lost control. All 3 survivors were thrown out of the car as the door opened in the initial impact. They were found at 50 meters from the road while the 4 who lost their lives rolled along with the car nearly 200 meters into the forest.

I have always felt that as part of the driving license test, learner should be taught about how to drive on different terrains, the dos and donts, driving in rains / snow, how to perform a tire change in case of puncture and also some basics about vehicle components and their functions. In most driving schools there is no theory class at all. You take the drivers seat just after you make the payment. All that they teach you is to hold the steering and to use the clutch, brakes and the gear.
Jude300 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 18:29   #35209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
That's exactly what has happened. As per one of the survivors, they had burning smell emanating and they had stopped to check what was wrong. This was few mins before the accident. No one in the group was aware that the brakes would burn out in such conditions and lead to failure. They wrongly assumed it was the tyres due to heavy braking. They continued with the journey and within minutes in that fatal turn the brakes failed. Though they weren't speeding driver lost control.
Lack of knowledge about the brakes and how to use the brakes and engine braking in the downhill drive turned out fatal for these unfortunate souls.

A simple way to check if the brake pads on your car are Non-Asbestos Organic or Semi-Metallic is by the amount of brake dust generated. Organic pads generate less brake dust, whereas the semi-metallic pads generate more brake dust which is also sticky to the alloy wheel. The Semi metallic brake pads also produce a grinding noise when brakes are applied whereas the Organic ones are pretty smooth.

People in the hills know how to drive without overheating the brakes and also how to use engine braking since they drive in such terrain daily. People in the plains need to gain this knowledge.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 19th May 2022 at 18:31.
sagarpadaki is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:17   #35210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
I have always felt that as part of the driving license test, learner should be taught about how to drive on different terrains, the dos and donts, driving in rains / snow, how to perform a tire change in case of puncture and also some basics about vehicle components and their functions. In most driving schools there is no theory class at all. You take the drivers seat just after you make the payment. All that they teach you is to hold the steering and to use the clutch, brakes and the gear.
This is actually part of the curriculum as per law or rules. It is ignored by both - the instructors and the students, as everyone wants to be more 'practical'. Unfortunately, I too had the same thought process when I learned driving long back. We change and learn with experience only I guess.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 20:52   #35211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarpit96 View Post
Had a minor accident today on electronic City flyover (for those who don't know, it's a 8km toll flyover).
Anything else I could have done differently? Is this something everybody driving on highways who are already aware?
I used to stay at ECity for over a decade, and know exactly what you faced. You were very lucky not to aquaplane. Sometimes it points the car inwards towards the median. As many people has said, this is what you can do :
1. Go on the outer lane.. the inner lane on both sides accumulate water rapidly during rain.
2. Watch out for standing water .. also watch out for splash from the opposite side due to vehicles driving over standing water - that is also a frequent occurrence and can reduce your vision significantly.
3. Don't keep your hazards on continuously during rain- use them only if you are slowing down significantly , or to make people behind you aware of the danger in front of you.
4. Slow down .. if others want to zoom by- let them at their own peril.
adg_andy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 16:26   #35212
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

An Accident on ORR near Banashankari, caught on nearby CCTV.

https://twitter.com/rakeshprakash1/s...93239842148352

Looks like driver was low on sleep.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th May 2022 at 17:58. Reason: Same link posted thrice
Old 20th May 2022, 18:42   #35213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Driving with hazards on is purely an Indian jugaad which is meaningless.
For whatever it’s worth, this behavior is not seen only in India. I have been caught up in couple of extreme downpours where you can’t see a feet in front of the car while living in metro NYC area and at that time the hazards came out from most of the drivers while driving on highways. I think it’s a behavior that when people see one do, they follow as well thinking it can improve their car’s visibility to other drivers.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 20th May 2022 at 18:49.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 19:11   #35214
Distinguished - BHPian

In Europe, bad visibility has been covered by rear high-intensity fog lamps. As people familiar with driving there will know, these things are bright. And some people have the habit that when turning on their lights, they turn the switch all the way, pull, push, whatever, all the way, because lights on is lights on. Everything. They are bright enough to be a nuisance to follow even in daylight. I am very glad that they are not common here!

In a similar way, hazards are seen by some to be just another level of lighting. Thank goodness they, at least, have a separate switch, or I'm sure we would see more every-day-hazard-light drivers.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 20:42   #35215
Distinguished - BHPian

Always be very careful while walking on roads. Today's accident in Bangalore, one killed three injured.

Footpaths are non existent due to encroachments by shopkeepers and usage by motorists for parking. Many are compelled to walk on the main carriageway and that's an invitation for trouble. Please tap the twitter link to view the horrifying video.

https://twitter.com/rakeshprakash1/s...yVgYENayw&s=19

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th May 2022 at 20:44.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 21:06   #35216

I had an accident on 14.05.2022. Me and wife were travelling from Hosur to Chennai. Some distance after crossing Vellore, when I was cruising in the middle lane, a brown car cuts in front of me. He stopped seeing me but by then he had already crossed into my lane. I had to brake abruptly. While I managed to brake the car behind me didn't. The impact pushed my car into the car which cut in front of me. This broke his mirror an also damaged mine. Here is the dashcam footage which shows what happened.

The stupid scream you hear is because of my frustration that someone hit me, not because of any injuries. We come out and check to see the damages. The boot is fully damaged. Here is the picture of the boot.

The car that hit me was a Kia Carnival, which doesn't look like it was involved in an accident. The driver of the Kia came out and according to him I shouldn't brake suddenly in a highway. I told him clearly he needs to maintain proper distance so that he can stop in any situation if the car in front of him stop.

Just behind us a guy came in an Innova and he asked us where we are going etc. He was the owner and the guy driving the Carnival was their driver. He told the driver he was probably not paying attention.

Anyway we exchanged numbers. I felt it was better if we got it checked nearby if we had any damages. So we went to the Nexa showroom which was around 10Km behind us. The driver also came with us. The owner carried on with his car to Chennai. The guys in Nexa said it is drivable, just some minor bend in the axle. Meanwhile the owner transferred 5K and promised he will bear any other expense which we have to pay apart from the insurance claim. After some discussion we decided to continue to Chennai. We came back to Hosur on Monday and have given the car at Amman cars Hosur. Apart from the damaged boot, the driver seat has bent backward a bit, the AC knob is damaged and LH RVM is also damaged. For claiming the damage to LH RVM the surveyor asked for FIR or CSR. I said I have video and shared it to him after which he agreed and said he will send it for processing.

We were thinking whether to leave the car in Chennai or Vellore but one major factor was that for insurance claim we needed original RC and DL and I don't carry any originals since I use digilocker. Makes me wonder what would I do on long trips out of state if I am immobilized. I have to come back with the originals just to process the insurance claim?

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20220520-9.00.28-pm.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20220520-9.02.04-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th May 2022 at 16:47. Reason: Correcting a few typos :)
Jonathan Arpith is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 21:34   #35217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Arpith View Post
I had an accident on 14.05.2022. Me and wife were travelling from Hosur to Chennai.
Hey Jonathan, you weren’t by any chance travelling towards Poonamallee side from Porur today around 6 PM? I spotted a blue Ciaz with a similar boot and the boot lid wasn’t closed, waving up and down.

Sorry about the accident man. Hope you get this sorted soon.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st May 2022 at 16:26. Reason: Removed quoted post.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 21:47   #35218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Hey Jonathan, you weren’t by any chance travelling towards Poonamallee side from Porur today around 6 PM? I spotted a blue Ciaz with a similar boot and the boot lid wasn’t closed, waving up and down.

Sorry about the accident man. Hope you get this sorted soon.
No, I've given the car here at Amman Cars Hosur on 17th. The JC is already open. I don't think they would have taken it for a ride right?
Old 20th May 2022, 22:04   #35219
BHPian

Maruti Ignis accident in Bengaluru.

Content Warning: Disturbing visuals. Viewer discretion advised.

Source

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st May 2022 at 01:18. Reason: Added content warning due to nature of video.
WhiteSierra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 22:33   #35220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Maruti Ignis accident in Bengaluru
Damn, this was nasty. Inspite of walking in the opposite direction of the vehicle movement they weren't able to escape the speeding vehicle. The first guy noticed the car but wasn't able to react quick enough. The group coming behind were busy talking to even notice the speeding vehicle. If they had chosen to walk on the footpath then they would've been safe. What was the driver doing? The road was empty and yet the driver ran over the pedestrians. Really sad incident. Hope there is no fatality and the people involved recover soon.
Funny is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks