Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2022, 21:12   #35266
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Man run over when rescuing a Kite on Worli Sea-link.
https://www.mid-day.com/mumbai/mumba...-kite-23229719
adi.mariner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 21:38   #35267
BHPian

Hit and run in Gwalior.
Don't know what these guys were doing on the middle of the road though.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 21:41   #35268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Hit and run in Gwalior.
https://Youtu.be/OOMc6oNp39Y
These guys think they are above everything. Though the car was also very fast for the road.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd June 2022 at 07:11. Reason: Toning down
sunikkat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 22:25   #35269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
These guys think they are above everything. Though the car was also very fast for the road.
One guy is directly behind a parked auto. People stop on our roads for all kinds of reasons. A quick question, wellness check, directions, etc. That is the norm, not saying they are in the right. But to say they deserved to be crushed by a car for living within these norms is crass/reckless. Yes, I do see they are riding triples, without helmets. They need a ticket from the cops for this mistake, not death sentence from a stranger. Going this fast on a local street filled with people, is the bigger criminal mistake here.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd June 2022 at 07:11. Reason: Quoted text edited
GutsyGibbon is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 23:35   #35270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
One guy is directly behind a parked auto. People stop on our roads for all kinds of reasons. A quick question, wellness check, directions, etc. That is the norm, not saying they are in the right. But to say they deserved to be crushed by a car for living within these norms is crass/reckless. Yes, I do see they are riding triples, without helmets. They need a ticket from the cops for this mistake, not death sentence from a stranger. Going this fast on a local street filled with people, is the bigger criminal mistake here.
I am sorry, but whatever the reason you cannot stop at the center of the road. No doubt the car driver was fast and is a criminal mistake, but for me stopping there and speaking is too criminal mistake. If there was someone else on bike just before the car and not able to move because of them, that innocent person would have got in trouble too without any fault of theirs. So no pity for these kind of people.
And I have seen many who stop like this, and when you honk their ego get hurt and start arguing with you. There is a reason why rules are made. And from the video it looked like they are very casual about standing there and speaking.

Last edited by sunikkat : 1st June 2022 at 23:38.
sunikkat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:48   #35271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Hit and run in Gwalior.
This yet again reconfirms my belief that road is full of idiots. Be it, stopping bang in the middle of the road with three seated on the same bike or wearing headphones while riding a two wheeler and filtering through the traffic without any signals, driving rash and recklessly thinking they are invincible etc.etc.

In all the commotion in the above video, the only sensible being I could find is the dog, who came running at the first instance and after looking at all that happened, quietly returned back to base. Even he seems to have resigned the fact that things might improve with humans any time soon!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:03   #35272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And from the video it looked like they are very casual about standing there and speaking.
It is not as if the scooter stopped suddenly. Even if it stops suddenly, the car driver will be at fault for hitting them. But here the scooter is there for a while before the car hits.

The car driver must have been drunk, that is why he runs away. He should be booked for attempted manslaughter, or manslaughter if any of the scooterists died.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:43   #35273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is not as if the scooter stopped suddenly. Even if it stops suddenly, the car driver will be at fault for hitting them. But here the scooter is there for a while before the car hits.

The car driver must have been drunk, that is why he runs away. He should be booked for attempted manslaughter, or manslaughter if any of the scooterists died.
Absolutely no debate on car driver being wrong. He is totally wrong to drive in that speed on such roads, and should be punished. No two ways about it.

Last edited by sunikkat : 2nd June 2022 at 12:45.
sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:47   #35274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry, but whatever the reason you cannot stop at the center of the road.
...So no pity for these kind of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
This yet again reconfirms my belief that road is full of idiots. Be it, stopping bang in the middle of the road
...driving rash and recklessly thinking they are invincible etc.etc.
I am appalled at the responses here - a speeding and out-of-control car hits and injures / kills scooter riders who stopped in the middle of the road, and the riders deserved it (i.e. deserved to be injured / die)? They don't merit our pity? How heartless have we become, to justify human injury & death? There can be a dozen justifiable reasons that may have caused the riders to stop in the middle of the road, but there is no single reason to justify a driver maiming / killing them (or anyone else) with his car.

OTOH, there's no outrage against the out-of-control driver, who, IMO, should be jailed for (attempted?) manslaughter!

Please, please, value human lives above anything else.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd June 2022 at 07:12. Reason: Quoted post edited
SS-Traveller is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 14:43   #35275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I am appalled at the responses here - a speeding and out-of-control car hits and injures / kills scooter riders who stopped in the middle of the road, and the riders deserved it (i.e. deserved to be injured / die)? They don't merit our pity? How heartless have we become, to justify human injury & death? There can be a dozen justifiable reasons that may have caused the riders to stop in the middle of the road, but there is no single reason to justify a driver maiming / killing them (or anyone else) with his car.

OTOH, there's no outrage against the out-of-control driver, who, IMO, should be jailed for (attempted?) manslaughter!

Agreed.

But, what if there was a mechanical problem with the car and it was uncontrollable by the driver(speaking in a generic sense)?

IMO, it should not be a mandatory blame on either side without checking facts and merits of the case. One or both of them could be at fault.

Last edited by amods : 2nd June 2022 at 14:45.
amods is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 14:43   #35276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you so much for your post. I am equally alarmed reading the posts above. Absolutely heart-wrenching to see people justify this. The car diver is clearly speeding and definitely engaged elsewhere for not even having spotted them on the road. I don't think the driver is drunk given his/her clear and rapid decision to reverse and drive away.
It is your responsibility to keep a safe distance from the object in front. Period. To justify anything contrary to that on a forum like this is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
Agreed.

But, what if there was a mechanical problem with the car and it was uncontrollable by the driver?

IMO, it should not be a mandatory blame on either side without checking facts and merits of the case. One or both of them could be at fault.
There can never be an end to what could be wrong. What if the driver was having a seizure? What if the brakes failed? The driver clearly reversed and ran off. So much for mechanical problems.

Last edited by drmohitg : 2nd June 2022 at 14:47.
drmohitg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 15:11   #35277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
There can never be an end to what could be wrong.
Precisely why chit chat or any non driving activity has no business in middle of a road. There could be anything wrong with machines and people driving them. So if one is not driving, should immediately get out of an active driveway.

My comment on mechanical issue was not for this case, it was generic.

Nobody deserves to die or be in an accident, but if they will be this naive, I'm afraid that could be the result.
Old 2nd June 2022, 15:13   #35278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Totally agree to this point and apologies if my post was rude. That was not my intention. I should have been more empathetic in putting my words.

At the same time I am surprised by posts which are supporting the bikers. If we are applying assumptions for a biker to stop in the middle of the road, triple without helmets breaking multiple rules there needs to be assumption for the car too. His medical condition is not good, he was taking someone to the hospital and so on and so forth. And we can justify everything else where people are not following rules - a truck driver driving on wrongside in a expressway, a breakdown vehicle stopped in the highway without any warning lights causing an accident, a car missing a turn and abruptly stopping in the middle of the road, someone receiving an urgent call while driving and losing his concentration and meeting with an accident etc. We can justify anything and everything.

Again as mentioned earlier, the car driver is totally at fault for driving at that speed and there can be no reasoning for it. Similarly the bikers stopping in the middle of road (in addition to breaking many other rules) and speaking is also equally wrong. Let's not try to justify one wrong.

Last edited by sunikkat : 2nd June 2022 at 15:26.
sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 15:21   #35279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
APrecisely why chit chat or any non driving activity has no business in middle of a road. There could be anything wrong with machines and people driving them. So if one is not driving, should immediately get out of an active driveway.

Nobody deserves to die or be in an accident, but if they will be this naive, I'm afraid that could be the result.
With all due respect, the point here is that people are willing to jump the gun straight away and defend the car driver by indirectly saying the bikers deserved it and this was coming their way. No that is wrong in any civilized society. Were they wrong to have parked in the middle of the road? Yes absolutely. But what the car did was criminal. Even if the bikers make an emergency stop, the car had no business even touching them. What the bikers did is penalized with a traffic fine. What the car did carries a jail term. The law differentiates between the two and I wish that the public identifies the difference between the two.

You ought to maintain an appropriate distance from the vehicle in front at ALL times. There is no excuse for that. And what is really disturbing is that in the video above, the bikers had been stopped for some time. The car had ample opportunity to stop but didn't show any signs or inclination to stop. So sorry, but there can simply be no excuse for this.
drmohitg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 18:22   #35280
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry if my post conveyed a different message.
I completely agree with your point that the car driver had no business driving so fast on an otherwise crowded road.
He is equally at fault and is surely part of the idots on the road part of my post.

Most Viewed