Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2022, 18:56   #35311
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
A man has died when a tyre broke off from a truck has hit him while he was standing on the road. It is near Chennai.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=r8TTeozPrds

Freak and horrible. I don't know how it broke off but is it so easy that tyres can come off without any impact to them? I have seen tyres flying only in F1 racing.

May his soul rest in peace.
Horrible is the word that popped up!!
Tire taking leave of a running heavy vehicle extracts the ultimate price maybe due to stress fracture.

What can be the cause:
Providence??
Overloading?
Bad state of roads?
Neglected maintenance?
Combination of above?

What could/can be done to effectively prevent this:
Nothing clever comes to the mind right now.
Arun yadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 19:37   #35312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
Horrible is the word that popped up!!
Tire taking leave of a running heavy vehicle extracts the ultimate price maybe due to stress fracture.

What can be the cause:
Providence??
Overloading?
Bad state of roads?
Neglected maintenance?
Combination of above?

I have seen atleast 20 videos over the years where tyres have come off moving trucks.
I am not sure of the reason, but it could just be loose nuts which become more loose as the vehicle kept moving.

In the meantime, another accident video shared today by Cyberabad Police. The Duster and its driver were so unlucky that this happened to them. I wish no one has to go through this ordeal due to reckless riders on the road.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 19:59   #35313
Senior - BHPian

^^ That is absolute bad luck. I witnessed a similar incident when I was in class 8 (1972). The main gate of our school faced the GST Road, and we were standing as a group on the roadside eating chikkis during lunch time. A tyre (probably the entire wheel) from one of the twin rear wheels of a passing lorry detached itself and immediately gained immense speed, much faster then the speed at which the lorry was travelling. Luckily it missed us but the passengers of a horse drawn cart going some distance ahead were not lucky. The wheel hit the rear step of the cart, bounced and went right into the cart. A male passenger died immediately. A female passenger and the cart driver were injured seriously.

I had never seen anything like it before, and was terrified of all passing lorries for quite a few years afterwards.

Last edited by Gansan : 8th June 2022 at 20:00.
Gansan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 20:14   #35314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The Duster and its driver were so unlucky that this happened to them. I wish no one has to go through this ordeal due to reckless riders on the road.
Not sure but Duster does look at high speed. Why don’t people slow at intersections? Even if it’s a highway, if there are gaps in the median, we must slow for our and others' safety. The Bike rider was absolutely wrong but it’s a sad reality.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th June 2022 at 20:16.
Turbanator is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 20:24   #35315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is absolute bad luck.
In driving/ career/ any sphere of life, there is always an element outside our control - call it chance, luck, fortune, fate or whatever.

Last edited by adisan : 8th June 2022 at 20:46.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 21:46   #35316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In the meantime, another accident video shared today by Cyberabad Police. The Duster and its driver were so unlucky that this happened to them. I wish no one has to go through this ordeal due to reckless riders on the road.
https://Youtu.be/sdGxWZP_YTQ
Another unfortunate incident similar to what we had couple of pages back (car ramming in to bikes stopped at the middle of road).
In this incident there is no bigger right or bigger wrong, both are equally at fault. The bike rider for taking a U turn like a truck without seeing the vehicles and the Duster driving that fast in the intersection. If you see the biker took a long and slow U turn, which means Duster had enough time to slow down but he did not. He might have been distracted with something else too, to miss the biker.

Last edited by sunikkat : 8th June 2022 at 21:49.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 22:52   #35317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Not sure but Duster does look at high speed. Why don’t people slow at intersections? Even if it’s a highway, if there are gaps in the median, we must slow for our and others' safety. The Bike rider was absolutely wrong but it’s a sad reality.
This makes me recollect my own video, which I shared with Cyberabad police sometime back.

Expect anything at intersections and be extremely careful.
Gap in median sign or flashing signal lights are one way to find out if there is an intersection ahead.

I always slow down, or at least stop accelerating near intersections and in this video, did the same.

There was a bus on our side of the road and someone just dashed towards it from across the road. As the car in front of me and I slowed down, we avoided a collision with this person(who literally freezed as if it was a statue-game). On the other hand, I avoided hitting the car in front as it braked.

Enjoy the near miss.

Please note: I just submitted my video, interpretation, wordings, editing etc are all done by Cyberabad police.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 8th June 2022 at 23:08.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 23:42   #35318
Senior - BHPian

Speeding Bike On Wrong Side Of Road Hits Scooter Head-On In Patna
Source : NDTV

Quote:
The two people riding on the scooter and the biker were injured in the accident. All three have been hospitalised.

"An FIR has been registered. The biker is a minor and has been hospitalised. Both the vehicles have been confiscated and an investigation is on," police said.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 02:30   #35319
BHPian

Quote:
A man has died when a tyre broke off from a truck has hit him while he was standing on the road. It is near Chennai.
A tangent: What is with these TV hosts, looping the video and explaining the same thing over and over again. Let's watch it again, let's watch it again. I wonder if they need to fill the time slots, or if they think their audience is too dumb to follow the story if they just see it once, or twice. Moreover, they put this clip on YouTube, where I can easily replay if I really want to watch it again. It looks like these people have watched too much of our TV serial/dramas, and they have made news into a tv serial.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 9th June 2022 at 02:35.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 04:00   #35320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
A tangent: What is with these TV hosts, looping the video and explaining the same thing over and over again. Let's watch it again, let's watch it again.
... and again in slow motion. And again in slower motion.

Yes, very annoying. I have noticed that occasionally people here will do the same thing, probably having got the idea from the TV videos. I'm sure you'd join me in saying, "guys, please don't!"

Of course, there are some incidents when well-done slo-mo can be revealing. Use with discretion, not to fill time up!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 08:13   #35321
One
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ That is absolute bad luck. I witnessed a similar incident when I was in class 8 (1972).
Once in the Mumbai-Pune expressway, saw a tyre come out from a huge trailer from the opposite side, move with such a huge velocity that it crossed the entire middle divider (which is not only wide but also had bushes planted), continue its path on our side like a fast moving vehicle and almost swipe a Sumo.

The size of the tyre, the level of kinetic energy in it to cross over, the speed at which it continued across from one side of the highway to the other were all surprising to me.

When someone said life is unpredictable, he was probably a frequent traveller referring to roads.

Last edited by One : 9th June 2022 at 08:16.
One is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 10:33   #35322
BHPian

A med student rams his car into wall near AIR, Raj bhavan Road, Bangalore.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/92091558.cms

The guy was upset over personal issues and was driving under alcohol.

Luckily, no other civilian was injured.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 10:45   #35323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
The guy was upset over personal issues and was driving under alcohol
Its such douchebags that make our roads unsafe for everyone else. Emotionally upset, inebriated, going out for a drive at 3AM, it probably cannot get any worse a cocktail for one to be a danger on road. So glad this did not end up another civilian loosing his/her life cause of an drunk moron on wheels.

Last edited by SR-71 : 9th June 2022 at 10:47.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 12:25   #35324

Quote:
I have seen atleast 20 videos over the years where tyres have come off moving trucks.
I am not sure of the reason, but it could just be loose nuts which become more loose as the vehicle kept moving.

https://Youtu.be/sdGxWZP_YTQ
There is also a slim chance that the biker was blinded by the Auto which is taking a right turn at the intersection at that very moment. Biker should never have taken the turn if he did not have a clear view, or perhaps he was just careless. Small mistake and it can lead to years of suffering for the family members. May his soul Rest in Peace.
The Duster did not have any right either to carry such high speeds at an intersection. Unfortunate.
behindthewheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 12:30   #35325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
I am not sure if it is considered clever, but a dedicated pedestrian footpath with railings could have saved the victim. The guy was walking on the road because there was no space next to the road.
The reason for the vehicle defect could also be determined and prevented from occurring in the future.

Unfortunately, such crashes are termed "Freak Accidents" or "Bad luck" or "Acts of God". By doing so, we lose sight of the factors that led to the crash and the resulting injuries.
I believe that all crashes and crash injuries are preventable.
Rohan265 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks