Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2022, 07:21   #35446
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
A clear example of how ego and impatience cause accident. Caught on my dashcam in Electronics City, Bangalore.

https://Youtu.be/NRqzVu7u5J0
2 months ago, I was going in a cab to pick my car from service.

The Cabbie stopped at the ECity Gate traffic signal as it's still red. Another cab came from behind, and rear-ended our cab, as he couldn't stop on time.

Both of them exchanged few words with each other and when signal turned green, both went away as if nothing happened

I asked the cab driver, whether he had noted down the number of the cab that rear-ended him. He said, "No I didn't , but insurance is there, why worry " and he was busy on phone as usual.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 27th June 2022 at 07:45.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 07:41   #35447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
"No, Insurance is there, why worry " l.
Business as usual - this is rampant. All the authorities need to do is seize the vehicles without insurance. And we can see changes in many places - including a reduction in insurance premiums for everyone.

This point about not having insurance was shared with me by my friend - his Nano got rear-ended by a school mini-bus. He was aware of the possibility and hence just negotiated a settlement from the other driver.
Old 28th June 2022, 09:08   #35448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A clear example of how ego and impatience cause accident. Caught on my dashcam in Electronics City, Bangalore.
Both rides seem to have just started?

Both drivers probably entering OTP on their phones...
Rehaan is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 12:46   #35449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Two idiots in the same frame.

One only needs to let the other go! That is all .

Not surprisingly, both were cabs. I am 100% sure two private cars would have 'adjusted' easily and moved on .
The Suzuki guy hasn’t put on his turn indicator signaling his intention to move! I feel this is one of the major issues with our drivers be it taxi / private! We turn at our whim expecting the guy behind us to have Magical powers to understand when the turn is bound to happen! Sad but this is the world we live in and prosper !
cdrajeevkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 14:59   #35450
BHPian

How do cab drivers build up such a risk appetite ? Isn't it their own cars (and their bank balances) that get affected due to such carelessness ?
Old 28th June 2022, 15:56   #35451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
A Figo was misintentioned. He was tailgating the Swift, and rammed into him when the Swift braked to avoid its own calamity.

There was a large thud, and some bruised egos and body panels, but nothing else. It could have been much, much worse.
Lesson is to not do double overtaking on highways and watch your surroundings before any maneuver.
Old 28th June 2022, 20:21   #35452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder... How can a detached wheel move faster than it's parent vehicle? Does that really happen, or does it just look like it because of the slowing of the lost-wheel vehicle?

Let's do this thought experiment, it's fun:

I am being driven to my tennis classes.

First a simple case: I drop a tennis ball out of my car running at speed = v. Its speed will be same (=v) at the moment of the drop. No surprises there.

In the second step of this experiment, I give a little forward spin to the ball and let it drop to the car seat. It rolls ahead on the seat, and I measure its relative speed to myself as, say, 20 kmph. Speed relative to road =v+20.

The third ball: I give the same amount of spin and drop it on the road. Speed relative to me is 20, relative to road is v+20. As expected.

The fourth ball, I give it a full whack of a forward spin and as it turns out, the speed relative to me is not 20 this time, but equal to v, same as the car speed.

If I drop it on the road, it will zoom ahead with speed of v+v=2*v relative to the road.

Observations:

Similar to how my fingers hold the ball right before I drop it, the wheel nuts hold a wheel right before it breaks away. That the tyre was already touching the road doesn't matter. The fact that the car moves due to tyre rotation is at best, a distraction in this experiment.

My fourth ball spinning at high speed approximates the state of each wheel of my running car.

Conclusion:
A car wheel when detached, therefore, should have a speed of 2*v relative to the road.
mkumar79 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 01:13   #35453
Hbh

Hello,
Came across an article where an etios driver seems to be racing an ambulance with its siren on. Highly illegal, stupid and overall douchebag move. The etios hydroplanes and crashes into the median. The rear lost grip first and pulled the car around because he applied the brakes aggressively. Front gets more grip and rear loses grip at the same instance due to weight transfer.
Video is in the article.

https://www.cartoq.com/toyota-etios-...s-on-wet-road/
Hbh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 03:44   #35454
BHPian

Quote:
That video made my day. Instance justice to both the fools in a single frame. Monkey behind the wheel must pay a price when it assumes the other monkey should apply brake.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 29th June 2022 at 03:47.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 06:23   #35455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbh View Post
Hello,
Came across an article where an etios driver seems to be racing an ambulance with its siren on. /[/url]
Before I saw the video, I thought perhaps it is a relative of the person in the ambulance.

This is criminally stupid behaviour
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 15:43   #35456
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A clear example of how ego and impatience cause accident.
After I moved to Chennai, I lost tolerance after becoming accustomed to the traffic condition here, and Chennai two wheeler culture gradually crept into my thoughts. Most of the time, I don't come to a complete stop. My driving style was destroyed by this very negative thinking, and a few years ago, as I was driving in my hometown, a buddy reprimanded me for this horrible driving practice.

Fortunately, I was able to comprehend and quickly returned to my standard driving approach. The true cause of all types of accidents is impatience.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 19:48   #35457
Senior - BHPian

Happened today in Kerala. Being very familiar with this route, this road is as it is dangerous (probably the narrowest NH in the country) and when you are not in controllable speeds during rains (read KL monsoon), that is a recipe for an accident with little room for any error. The autorickshaw could be the root cause, but if the bus was driven slow, he could have avoided crashing down.

Sadly, one person lost life.

balenoed_ is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 21:35   #35458
BHPian

Quote:
Both of them exchanged few words with each other and when signal turned green, both went away as if nothing happened

I asked the cab driver, whether he had noted down the number of the cab that rear-ended him. He said, "No I didn't , but insurance is there, why worry " and he was busy on phone as usual.
Sorry naive question, what was the point here. Is the number of the other car involved in the accident mandatory to claim insurance?
Old 29th June 2022, 21:46   #35459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Sorry naive question, what was the point here. Is the number of the other car involved in the accident mandatory to claim insurance?
I'm not sure either, but better to have it.

I find this in one of the insurance portal websites.

How To File Car Insurance Claim After An Accident? (iffcotokio.co.in)
Get the vehicle number and contact details of the other party involved in the accident. If there are any witnesses to the accident, get their contact details as well.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 21:49   #35460
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure either, but better to have it.

I find this in one of the insurance portal websites.
Ok, thanks for sharing. I actually found the behaviour of your cab driver to be fine. After all, why fret about a minor accident or argue with the other party if the car has insurance.
But I get your point now.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks