Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2022, 09:50   #35461
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Happened today in Kerala. Being very familiar with this route, this road is as it is dangerous (probably the narrowest NH in the country) and when you are not in controllable speeds during rains (read KL monsoon), that is a recipe for an accident with little room for any error. The autorickshaw could be the root cause, but if the bus was driven slow, he could have avoided crashing down.
This isn't surprising to me at all. This is how buses in North KL are driven. They regularly go off the road, on both sides, to overtake. Even if a vehicle is taking a turn, they will try to go off road and squeeze in, instead of braking. Here, the bus bounced off a ditch (or a deep pothole?), causing it to lose balance. The rain fills the potholes, making it difficult to judge the depth. If the pothole was a little bit shallower, the driver would have carried on, with a smile on his face.
Old 30th June 2022, 12:36   #35462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Sorry naive question, what was the point here. Is the number of the other car involved in the accident mandatory to claim insurance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
I'm not sure either, but better to have it.

I find this in one of the insurance portal websites.
(...)
In my experience, if you're claiming that another vehicle has hit you, your insurance company will ask for the other vehicle's details and an FIR. This is apparently to make sure that the version of events you're giving is reliable, and you were not doing something unauthorised with the vehicle when the accident occurred (say, filming a stunt scene for Instagram). This also helps the insurance company claim the damage from the other vehicle/their insurer.

The only way out of this - again, this is only by my experience, experts may correct if I'm wrong - is telling a different story altogether to the insurance company (which the cabbie in this case might have done). Which is not a legal thing to do, of course.
N.A.GTC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 13:06   #35463
Senior - BHPian

I think reporting the details of the other vehicle could affect the impact of the claim on your deductible and NCB.
Old 30th June 2022, 14:57   #35464

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Happened today in Kerala. Being very familiar with this route, this road is as it is dangerous (probably the narrowest NH in the country)
The man squatting on the lower left is unfazed, and continues with his tiling work, although he could hear the crushing noise of metal-to-tarmac and could see the wreck.

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th June 2022 at 15:31. Reason: Fixed quote
OldWays is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 16:46   #35465
BHPian

Not sure why people would race against an ambulance, but appaparently some idiots do.

Here's one that hopefully learned his lesson well :

nishsingh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 17:28   #35466

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaster View Post
Difficult to watch, toddler ran over by reversing car near Namakkal.
Heartbreaking.

I think reversing sensors and cameras shall be mandatory safety features and should be available from the base variant onwards. Currently, they, especially reversing cameras, are present only in the top variant, usually exorbitantly priced.
Old 30th June 2022, 20:55   #35467
BHPian

Boulder falls on pilgrims' car near Chamoli; 1 dead.
Name:  IMG20220630WA0025468x445.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  65.2 KB
https://uttarakhandhimalaya.in/bolde...-car-one-dies/

Monsoon has arrived in Uttarakhand and we will be hearing a lot of such news.
YD14 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 09:37   #35468
BHPian

KGF Actor met with an accident at Anil Kumble Circle. No fatalities.

But from the footage, it looks like a head-on collision, so looks like one of them is jumping the signal and taking a turn and faced each other at the intersection.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 771
Size:  251.1 KB

chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 10:19   #35469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
KGF Actor met with an accident at Anil Kumble Circle. No fatalities.

But from the footage, it looks like a head-on collision, so looks like one of them is jumping the signal and taking a turn and faced each other at the intersection.

Attachment 2327810

கே.ஜி.எப் நடிகர் சென்ற கார் கண்டெய்னர் லாரி மோதி விபத்து..! - YouTube
The actor in an interview mentioned that his car collided with a canter which ran a stop sign. Article here.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 19:15   #35470
BHPian

Very unlucky for the woman, although it was a no contact accident.

I may have quickly pushed the autorickshaw single handedly to save her and was getting too anxious seeing the delay from everyone in saving her. They decided to move the car instead.
Maybe they were seeing some more details, which I am missing.

For all those, who think that they rule the world just by giving an indication - please learn to use rear view mirrors along with the indicators.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 2nd July 2022 at 19:23.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 19:41   #35471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Very unlucky for the woman, although it was a no contact accident.
Oh man that was painful to watch.

The sheer amount of defensive driving we are having to do is just mind boggling.

I mean, how hard can it be to just move your hand a bit to flick the indicator stalk or at least look in the rear view mirror before making a magical turn!

And always wondered why our buses and autos don't have seat belts.
deathwalkr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:49   #35472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I mean, how hard can it be to just move your hand a bit to flick the indicator stalk or at least look in the rear view mirror before making a magical turn!
Terrible. Hope the lady is not seriously injured.

The car's right turn-indicator was flashing, but one could argue that the driver could have glanced in the ORVM before turning.

What was the autorickshaw doing it the right lane? As is the case in most accidents involving autorickshaws, it was very much the fault of the 3-wheeler driver here. This chap looked like he was in a tearing hurry. Most of Kerala's roads are narrow. One needs to be very careful while driving.
Aditya is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:02   #35473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumar79 View Post

The fourth ball, I give it a full whack of a forward spin and as it turns out, the speed relative to me is not 20 this time, but equal to v, same as the car speed.
Nice thought experiment!
One comment:
If you are traveling in the car at V and you spin the ball so that it’s surface moves at V=r*w (r is radius and w is angular velocity) , then when you release the ball it’ll move at speed less than V relative to the car (even if there’s no slip between the surface of the ball and the floor of the car)
All discussions below are in the frame of reference of the car.
1) When you spin the ball without releasing it it’s translational kinetic energy is 0. Rotational kE is 1/2Iw^2 where w is angular velocity and I the moment of inertia.
2) When you release the ball it acquires non zero translational KE which has to come at the cost of some rotational KE (by law of conservation of energy). Hence the rotational KE will reduce and hence the rotational speed will reduce to w- delta from w. This means the transitional velocity will be r*(w-delta) instead of V=rw
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:47   #35474
BHPian

A WhatsApp forward just received. Such an accident gives me the creeps. What was the rider thinking? No Slowing down. Just see the road is totally empty.

A picnic by the family is ruined by the bike rider.

Hope all are safe, including the rider.

Vasuki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 12:15   #35475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
A WhatsApp forward just received. Such an accident gives me the creeps. What was the rider thinking? No Slowing down. Just see the road is totally empty.

A picnic by the family is ruined by the bike rider.

Hope all are safe, including the rider.

Source
I think they just took a sharp turn and the rider lost control and went went off road.
This video is clipped because the person taking the video must have broken a rule or rode dangerously too.

Most Viewed