Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 17:15   #35551
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Got this as a whatsapp forward. Yet another attempted murder by these hooligans, this time by a couple of the "beloved" Aanavandis.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=0BK8k9_IW8w
Absolute disregard for the value of life. It is so disheartening to see such videos. If only the lawmakers and police were motivated enough to use such video footage and ensure that these monkeys do not sit behind a steering wheel in this lifetime. The biker must thank his stars.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:37   #35552
BHPian

Quote:
Got this as a whatsapp forward. Yet another attempted murder by these hooligans, this time by a couple of the "beloved" Aanavandis.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=0BK8k9_IW8w
See the biker squeezing his brakes (it certainly didn't look like he grabbed them). But yet the next moment his bike starts to wobble. Were his tires worn out?

I am not sure of the approach in this case. I would prefer to come to a full stop once the first bus was past me. Why risk trying to squeeze through the side of one these lunatics.

He is indeed lucky to be alive.
Old 12th July 2022, 18:49   #35553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
See the biker squeezing his brakes (it certainly didn't look like he grabbed them). But yet the next moment his bike starts to wobble. Were his tires worn out?
Looks like a glancing blow from the first bus' tail on the bike's RHS handgrip (0:52 in the footage), he tries to catch the wobble and brake gently but probably loses traction on the yellow painted line and drops the front wheel off tarmac.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th July 2022 at 18:50.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 20:29   #35554
BHPian

Not taking away the blame from the bus drivers at all, but always expect some idiots popping out from behind slow moving trucks. They will try to bully you off the road if they have vehicles bigger than yours. Luckily the rider was on the hill side of the road and not the valley side. It could have turned serious within no time.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 09:06   #35555
BHPian

Quote:
The poor biker would have managed if the third bus wouldn't have squeezed through. There was no space for him and luckily the speeds were low. Hope the bus driver gets arrested for his crime.

One thing I notice is the biker does not honk. He would have seen the second bus on the wrong lane at the 14 second mark and honking could have prevented the third bus from overtaking. Honking is very important in Indian conditions where people overtake on blind turns. Forget overtaking, people can't take decent turns by staying in their lane.
Meph1st0 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 09:30   #35556
BHPian

Quote:
Its beyond doubt that many drivers need serious therapy and education.

Kerala bus jugglers would definitely top the list.

As for me, I always try to follow the motif..

'ALWAYS assume presence of nasty vehicle(s) ahead on a blind bend IN your path'

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th July 2022 at 16:47. Reason: fixing quote tags + spacing for improved readability
Arun yadav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 09:48   #35557
BHPian

Came across this horrific accident happened in Kerala today. A head on collision between a Brezza and Celerio. From the pic, passenger compartment of the Brezza looks intact, while that of celerio totaled (yet another indication that GNCAP matters ?). 2 passenger in the Celerio succumbed to the injuries in this unfortunate incident.
mathewspaul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 12:29   #35558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewspaul View Post
Came across this horrific accident happened in Kerala today. A head on collision between a Brezza and Celerio. From the pic, passenger compartment of the Brezza looks intact, while that of celerio totaled (yet another indication that GNCAP matters ?). 2 passenger in the Celerio succumbed to the injuries in this unfortunate incident.
What pains is all 3 in Celerio passed away. Below is the CCTV footage and it was no fault of the Celerio driver. An entire family wiped off and the culprit is still alive post the murder.

sreerknair is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 12:34   #35559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across this horrific accident happened in Kerala today. A head on collision between a Brezza and Celerio. From the pic, passenger compartment of the Brezza looks intact, while that of celerio totaled (yet another indication that GNCAP matters ?). 2 passenger in the Celerio succumbed to the injuries in this unfortunate incident
The death toll is 3 now!

From CCTV footage, it looks like the Brezza's driver dozed off. At the curve, he did not make any attempt to steer. As per the news report, there were 4 male adults in the brezza. The fatalities are from the other car.

Footage in this news clip :

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th July 2022 at 16:49. Reason: spacing for improved readability
sandsun7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 13:04   #35560
BHPian

Very Unfortunate and RIP.

Classic example of risks in a left hand curve on a dual carriageway.

There is a double solid white line at the curve, indicating that, there should not be any lane change either with speed or for overtake.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-brezza.png

On a left hand curve, always expect an idiot to come head-on on our lane, slowdown and be ready to move left towards the edge, a sideswipe is at least better than a head-on ?

Share your views . The entire video below is useful, watch from 5:30 specifically for scenario of above type.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 13th July 2022 at 13:18.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 15:05   #35561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
On a left hand curve, always expect an idiot to come head-on on our lane, slowdown and be ready to move left towards the edge, a sideswipe is at least better than a head-on ?
The time gap is too less for anyone to have responded to that I think. I saw the video and the suggestions are very helpful, but I don't think it would have made any difference to the outcome in this case.

If you look at the video frame-by-frame, the Brezza is moving across the lane at 0:10 and has already collided with the vehicle between 0:11 and 0:12. Also, the Celerio does move to the left at 0:11 just before the collision.

It is very likely the Brezza driver dozed off. At 0:11, the Celerio most definitely would have sounded the horn and if it was inattentiveness (like changing music or something), the Brezza would've made some attempt to swerve back. But that evidence isn't there.

I can't think of any way that Celerio could've avoided this mishap other than just pure luck. Maybe a better NCAP rated car would've limited the consequence to some injuries to the occupants. Which is why I'm hoping the Bharat NCAP changes the landscape and makes even entry level cars crashworthy.

Buy a safe car if you can accommodate in your budget. Between a 10" infotainment screen and 5* rating, please make the right choice.

Needless to say, this video is a learning for better road design. Couple of things that could've made things safer:

1. Rumble strips between 50-100m from the left hander would've jolted a sleepy driver from slumber and slow the speed
2. Speed camera on the top - prevents awake hooligans from overspeeding
3. Properly designed barrier median just on the curve - would've prevented an out of control/understeered vehicle from crossing into the opposite lane

Last edited by krishnakumar : 13th July 2022 at 15:07.
krishnakumar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 15:32   #35562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
From CCTV footage, it looks like the Brezza's driver dozed off. At the curve, he did not make any attempt to steer.
From the reports, the folks in Brezza were nearing their destination, after a 4 hour drive. The accident happened at 6:30AM. Sleep deprived, and more chances of dozing off when one is in their familiar terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I can't think of any way that Celerio could've avoided this mishap other than just pure luck. Maybe a better NCAP rated car would've limited the consequence to some injuries to the occupants. Which is why I'm hoping the Bharat NCAP changes the landscape and makes even entry level cars crashworthy.
Quote:
From the pic, passenger compartment of the Brezza looks intact, while that of celerio totaled (yet another indication that GNCAP matters ?). 2 passenger in the Celerio succumbed to the injuries in this unfortunate incident.
The cabin of the Celerio is also not badly intruded. I doubt the occupants were belted. Even if the driver was wearing, the passenger behind would have crushed him to death. RIP

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-celerio.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-celerio2.jpg

Last edited by bejoy : 13th July 2022 at 15:37.
bejoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 15:49   #35563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The cabin of the Celerio is also not badly intruded. I doubt the occupants were belted. Even if the driver was wearing, the passenger behind would have crushed him to death. RIP
You are correct. Also, I do not see airbags deployed, which is the case if seat belts are not worn. In one of the pics, Brezza shows some white through window. So I guess airbags played a crucial role for their survival. Such a cruel fate that innocent gets killed while guilty party left alive.
mathewspaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 15:57   #35564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

Buy a safe car if you can accommodate in your budget.
Agreed. A safer could've changed the outcome, provided the passengers are belted etc.

NCAP started testing cars in India around 2014 and we can assume 10% of the cars sold in India since 2014 are high rated.

This is an assumption and I will try to get some data.

We still have non-rated cars which are sold before 2014 and sold after 2014, and they constitute a high percentage of vehicles on our roads.

So, until the numbers improve, we have to assume everyone is a vulnerable road user.

Until then, understand the risks at every situation and drive accordingly.

And government can keep rumble strips or blinking lights etc, at blind curves and at curves which come after a continuous straight line, where people has less/no tendency to reduce speed.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 13th July 2022 at 15:58.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 16:40   #35565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
So, until the numbers improve, we have to assume everyone is a vulnerable road user.

Until then, understand the risks at every situation and drive accordingly.
All all times, we should understand the risks at every situation and drive accordingly. Doesn't matter if entire country is running on 5 star rated tanks.

I guess it is not what you were intending to say, but it comes as if driver can just drive however they want in safer cars.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed