Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2022, 20:24   #35836
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
This is a video in which Mr. Velusamy promotes the XUV 700 on a popular Tamil channel.

The video is in Tamil, and it was virally shared within tamilnadu. In that video, he categorically states that "regular people" can drive the car at 200 KMPH, and that the car will keep them safe.
Car will keep them safe? We need to keep the car safe. Car is safe, automatically occupants are safe.

It is devastating to see a beautiful machine like the XUV700 shred to pieces . What were they thinking, that is if at all they had a brain in the first place?
Nalin1 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 20:48   #35837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
What a horrendous experience it must have been for the travelers in the Bus. May the departed souls rest in peace.

However, I would like to wait for some time and see what details come out before make a call on calling the car drivers irresponsible. On our roads, you never know what could have caused this accident other than high speed driving. 150KMPH is just near impossible to sustain on our roads unless you get a dead straight road with no traffic for a long stretch. This looks like at 4-lane state highway and I don't think any sane person would think of hitting 150KMPH here unless drunk or something.
People hit insane speeds on two lane state highways, and there are enough such idiots driving. For a car to be totalled the way it is, I could easily relate to it.

Slightly off topic - I recently returned from a trip. And I had two cars (one on onward journey and the other on return) tailgating so close to comfort and trying to squeeze / zig-zag their way ever so often, despite me moving over for them a couple of times only to catch up with him a few minutes later or at a toll. People just derive some kind of thrill doing things, they don't need to be drunk. And there are a hell lot of such drivers on our highways.
theabstractmind is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 22:53   #35838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbh View Post
What a horrible crash. It was unlucky for the car's passengers that it went under the bus but it was so lucky for the people in the bus. I can imagine a scenario where the initial impact could have lifted the car up and essentially pushed it inside the front window of the bus. Makes me thankful I had a slow car in my early driving days. Older and wiser now.
I was thinking how this accident happened. The car under the bus theory also came up, but this seems not to be the case.

The car was driven too fast and lost control and hit the bus in such a way that the front middle portion of the car hit the corner of the bus at an angle. This impact also hit the tyre and the bus's axle broke. What broken things you see on the underside of the bus is caused by the bus's tyre and has nothing to do with the car.

The bus was also at high speed and the tyre/broken axle caused all that damage to the bus. However, I am still not able to make out from where the white paint on the side of the bus came from. It could be that the car took a 180 deg turn and the right side of the car slided against the bus before they came to a halt.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th August 2022 at 16:23. Reason: Typo
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 14:07   #35839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra XUV700 head on collision with a private bus. Accident near Dharapuram, Tirupur in Tamil Nadu.
The front axle of the bus had broken
No point in blaming either the XUV people or the bus driver because we do not know any detail about who or what caused this. It could have been anyone amongst the people involved.
That said, if the bus caused it to happen then that is still unfortunate but if the XUV700 caused the accident then I personally would find that statistic quite worrying and alarming given the number of high-speed related extreme XUV700 accidents that have occured in the short time since it was launched.

Going by the statistics and how many XUV700 crashes since it's been launched, and all related to high speed, I have a strong doubt that there is an issue at speed with the vehicle which gets it out of control. It's not natural for so many high speed crashes of any newly launched car. The so-called "ADASS" and other seemingly "advanced" features offered by the company are at fault, is what I feel. Something's not right.

I mean, there are lot of rich people buying much more costlier SUVs with much more power than the XUV700, like BMWs, Mercs, Audi, Volvo, Jeep, etc which have 300-700 bhp power, but it's rare for any of them to have ended like these in the numbers the XUV700 is single handedly doing.

Looks like the Speed gets uncontrolled and keeps increasing or gets locked which leaves this result. Too many examples in too less time.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th August 2022 at 18:34. Reason: Typo
pixantz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 15:13   #35840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

I mean, there are lot of rich people buying much more costlier SUVs with much more power than the XUV700, like BMWs, Mercs, Audi, Volvo, Jeep, etc which have 300-700 bjp power, but it's rare for any of them to have ended like these in the numbers the XUV700 is single handedly doing.
Most of those cars you mention would be chauffeur driven. Also they are more expensive and hence driven carefully.
On the other hand, the XUV is more affordable to many, compared to those Mercs and Beemers and maybe the power and rush it provides will be a first for many too.

On the other hand given a km long stretch of well paved road and most of the new cars now can touch a decent speed. Add alcohol into the mix and it is no surprise something like this happens.

Last edited by tharian : 6th August 2022 at 15:31.
tharian is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 01:51   #35841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
On the other hand, the XUV is more affordable to many, compared to those Mercs and Beemers and maybe the power and rush it provides will be a first for many too.
I agree with your point. It still seems funny to imagine though that if people manage to get a fast car for cheap they'd be okay to drive it into a bus and become roadkill. But maybe that's exactly what's happening, in a way. I've seen the pictures of the guys who were in that XUV on another social platform. Boy, they were really mangled up bad. Totally smashed up like typical roadkill. Gory and ghastly mess it was. I'm not putting it up here because I think it may be edited off by the mods.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th August 2022 at 05:43. Reason: Minor typo.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 07:47   #35842

1. Alcohol
2. Speed
3. Drugs
+
4. Ego behind the wheels

Mix any 2 together and the accidents will happen. Ego is the most dangerous though. It’s the Spark for the Fire.
FortunerTRD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 08:59   #35843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I don't know if it was literally true, but my Dad scolded me for not taking a cow seriously enough, telling me, "That cow weighs as much as this car."
Could be true literally! A typical cow and a maruthi 800 weighs around 700 kgs

Last edited by ramradcliff : 7th August 2022 at 09:16.
ramradcliff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 09:06   #35844
BHPian

I think we might just have a new entry in the road nuisance list (atleast as far as my state is concerned), amongst the Innovas, the Crystas, the Swift and Ritz diesels - the all new XUV 7OO. I assume this was not the list any Mahindra executive hoped their car would be in.

I simply don't know what is in the minds of a lot of the drivers of the above mentioned cars, especially Ritz diesels, that make them so reckless on the roads. Ofcourse this is not to say that all drivers of those cars are reckless, but from my experience, most of the culprits drive those cars.
SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 09:33   #35845
BHPian

Quote:
Going by the statistics and how many XUV700 crashes since it's been launched, and all related to high speed, I have a strong doubt that there is an issue at speed with the vehicle which gets it out of control. It's not natural for so many high speed crashes of any newly launched car. The so-called "ADASS" and other seemingly "advanced" features offered by the company are at fault, is what I feel. Something's not right.
ADAS not involved in this accident
If you look closely at the wheels design, this model is not AX7. Only the top end AX7 & AX7L get ADAS related features, and hence it’s wrong to blame ADAS. I am 100% sure ADAS would have saved lives in this case. Automatic emergency braking would have certainly reduced the severity of impact
p_darshi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:15   #35846
BHPian

Very sad to see such accidents which primarily happen due to high speed driving. A little bit of patience and sane manners would have prevented the loss of life and material. It is true that Speed thrills but kills. As per report all occupants of the car where 30 year old and were in the prime of their life. They are gone but I guess they never thought about the impact of this loss on their families.

No amount of safety measures can make people sane enough to follow right driving etiquettes. It is a matter of habit which comes with practice and patience.
autobahnjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:21   #35847
BHPian

Even if the car remains intact, imagine the sudden deceleration from 150 to 0 within seconds! Isn't that force enough to crush a human body?!
Our Indian roads are limited to 80 kmph for a reason! And we have manufacturers who are going in for cars with such high power outputs!
I do remember my best friend telling me, the faster you go, narrower is your field of vision. So yeah even in a 8 lane highway, doing a speed of 150 will definitely limit the field of vision and the person driving would be barely able to mind his surroundings! And with more cars with higher power to weight ratio, accidents are bound to happen. I may sound obsolete and archaic. Most highways are near villages and trust me those drivers or pedestrians have the least bother for road safety.
Aravind_M92 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 10:32   #35848
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the Speed gets uncontrolled and keeps increasing or gets locked which leaves this result. Too many examples in too less time.
This is a baseless conspiracy theory.

Common to see reckless drivers with even less powerful cars on our roads. Blaming the car is the easy way out.

Seeing 140-150kmph driven cars on TN highways is not that uncommon. I see quite a few driven at that speeds whenever I venture out on the highways here. I try to do 80-100 max based on conditions and many fellow drivers on our highways just find me too slow for them.
Yieldway17 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 11:03   #35849
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Even if the car remains intact, imagine the sudden deceleration from 150 to 0 within seconds! Isn't that force enough to crush a human body?!
150+80(bus) would be 230kmph! Assuming the initial jump over the divider slowed it down a bit as it launched, it would still be in the range of a 200kmph impact. Sends shivers down my spine that other peoples stupidity can kill or maim you in a flash while you are all the while trusting your instincts to drive safely with good road behavior.
Ragul is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 11:12   #35850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I mean, there are lot of rich people buying much more costlier SUVs with much more power than the XUV700, like BMWs, Mercs, Audi, Volvo, Jeep, etc which have 300-700 bhp power, but it's rare for any of them to have ended like these in the numbers the XUV700 is single handedly doing.
I think it’s more to do with body type too, SUVs and crossovers are not meant to drive this fast, Period. It’s meant for some purpose and people should respect it. No matter how good the dynamics and technology are it can’t beat the physics of higher GC. In most of these high speed crashes in this thread, majority of them are SUVs/Crossover than bigger sedans. As mentioned how many similarly powered sedan accidents do we see in this thread. But you see quiet a lot of XUVs, Fortuner etc. And new Scorpio is another potential candidate to make it to the list in future (sincerely hope I am wrong here). I totally agree the sales numbers play a major part too.

And don’t get me wrong, I am not telling sedans are invincible. Car is as good as the driver, and he / she can crash anything. All I am telling is there is a break in point that your engine can take (based on performance) and your car can overall take (like high speed braking, handling, control in sudden manoeuvre etc.) and a good driver should very well be aware of that - mainly considering many external surprises that Indian highways throw at you.

Last edited by sunikkat : 7th August 2022 at 11:23.
sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed