Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2022, 01:46   #35926
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
.. don't know from where ... drivers decide to cruise at 140/160kmph? It's sheer lack of education which kills them.

... To mantain an average speed of 90kmph on your journey, you should cruise at 100/110kmph (well within posted limits).
Would like to add that it is next to impossible (without endangering yourself) to achieve an average speed of 90 kmph on our 4/6 laned highways.

Practically, an average speed of 60 kmph achieved is also too good on a 4/6 lane roads.
Even to achieve this, you would be in the range of 90/110 kmph peak speed along with the regular slowdowns because of obstructions (heavy vehicles, two wheelers, people/animals running across, junctions)

And if you're on a dividerless road facing oncoming traffic, consider it great to achieve 40 kmph average speed. In these conditions, reckless/risky overtaking is a common scenario just to save a few inconsequential minutes.

The above are practical max average speeds realistically achievable without undue risks on our roads and if one keeps the distance to be covered in a day's drive to be realistic and allows the needed time, then driving becomes a pleasurable and effortless/stressfree activity.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th August 2022 at 01:52.
for_cars1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 02:26   #35927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
When tech reaches the wrong hands...

https://www.facebook.com/reel/477601...id=chYV2B&fs=e
Wow! Can't believe that they were so confident
Old 9th August 2022, 07:20   #35928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Would like to add that it is next to impossible (without endangering yourself) to achieve an average speed of 90 kmph on our 4/6 laned highways.

Practically, an average speed of 60 kmph achieved is also too good on a 4/6 lane roads.
Even to achieve this, you would be in the range of 90/110 kmph peak speed along with the regular slowdowns because of obstructions (heavy vehicles, two wheelers, people/animals running across, junctions)

And if you're on a dividerless road facing oncoming traffic, consider it great to achieve 40 kmph average speed. In these conditions, reckless/risky overtaking is a common scenario just to save a few inconsequential minutes.

The above are practical max average speeds realistically achievable without undue risks on our roads and if one keeps the distance to be covered in a day's drive to be realistic and allows the needed time, then driving becomes a pleasurable and effortless/stressfree activity.
Thank you for bringing out a point I wanted to convey. A car which does 0 -100 in less than 10 secs can easily mantain an average of 90kmph if driven sanely (until 110kmph). A car which does 0-100 in 15/18 seconds will struggle to get an average of 60kmph at those speeds. This is an answer for those who want lower powered cars, cars which have less acceleration in the interest of 'preserving lives'. The converse effect of capping engine power is either longer travel times or people trying to mantain higher top speeds to get higher average speeds. This is also why a commuter hatchback or a pseudo suv is more dangerous on the highway.
apachelongbow is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 09:41   #35929
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
Captured this accident with my car dashcam on Saturday. The red Ford was being driven at some what high speeds in the rains and ended up hitting a divider after getting aquaplaned. The rest is in the video.

How is that we see such big rain puddles (pools actually not even puddles!) on 4 lane highways built costing crores? Is this not deficient road construction design and implementation and negligence by the Govt/Contractors? Why are these roads not levelled in a manner that the center median with grassy plantations drain and absorb the water like done for rain-water harvesting? Even I have been lucky with mild aquaplaning when driving above 80kmph because I least expected large puddles on such expensive infrastructure!

Last edited by Ragul : 9th August 2022 at 09:43.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:05   #35930
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: The XUV700 accident has been discussed enough, let us please move on. Any further posts on that accident will be deleted. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:14   #35931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A youngster aged 19 with his cousin on the front passenger seat on the move through Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata, was driving a red Jaguar F-Pace SUV rashly and negligently, hit an app aggregator's cab, a parked BMW and also a 40 year old woman. This happened yesterday at 3.50 pm. Unfortunately, the woman died on the spot while the other vehicles were damaged.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolk...ign=TOIDesktop

Such a senseless loss of human life. The woman who died has two teenage daughters who are now orphans. I hope the 19 year old is shown no leniency in criminal trail and gets a commensurate punishment for the hardship caused. The father of the 19 year old needs to be severely punished for the vehicle not having insurance and Letting his immature son take the wheel. However this being india I am sure the real estate rich guy will find a high priced lawyer and get out with minimal damage to himself and family
charanreddy is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:55   #35932
BHPian

This is epic. Policeman dangerously hits a car, arguably carrying drug peddlers in a busy street, visibly endangering lives of other commuters and then 'Shooting' at them in the same busy location.

My question is, what will you do if such an event unfolds behind your car?

I will just try to reach out to the bottom of my seat if there is traffic ahead. Else, I will run for it and pick some vacant space to park and then hit the bottom of my seat to avoid a stray bullet.

Any better suggestion?

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 9th August 2022 at 12:01.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 13:46   #35933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
My question is, what will you do if such an event unfolds behind your car?

I will just try to reach out to the bottom of my seat if there is traffic ahead. Else, I will run for it and pick some vacant space to park and then hit the bottom of my seat to avoid a stray bullet.

Any better suggestion?
Yikes! This is freakish, looks like it is straight out of a movie.

If things unfold at the rate as shown in the video you shared, I doubt any rider will have a chance to react to the gun on the loose. Most of the riders and pedestrians were still reacting to the "Accident" due to the aggressively driven SUV.
whitewing is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:12   #35934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When two similar vehicles travelling at x speed collide, there impact does not become 2x.
There is a beautiful and costly experiment video on this concept. It may be shared on t-bhp sometime ago also. Here is the link
https://Youtu.be/r8E5dUnLmh4
Thank you for the video. Certainly illustrative. Moving away from speed only to weight/mass - my understanding is that if a car weighing 1-tonne moving at 50 kmph collides with a truck weighing 10-tonnes moving at 50 kmph in the opposite direction then the force/deacceleration experienced by the 1-tonne car will be 10X (or is it 9X) that of the 10-tonne truck.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 14:15   #35935
BHPian

CCTV capture of XUV700 - Bus accident is recorded from the other side of the road.

The area looks very crowded based on the footage.

Watch from 07:00

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 11th August 2022 at 14:17.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 14:51   #35936
BHPian

Quote:
This is epic. Policeman dangerously hits a car, arguably carrying drug peddlers in a busy street, visibly endangering lives of other commuters and then 'Shooting' at them in the same busy location.
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/pu...eozepur-420139

Police- Damn, if they do, damn if they don't.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th August 2022 at 18:22. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
~Zombie~ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 16:29   #35937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zombie~ View Post
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/pu...eozepur-420139

Police- Damn, if they do, damn if they don't.
All we need is a 'police pursuit policy'.
If every policeman starts doing what was done, we don't have to go the movies for entertainment, it will be delivered live and kicking.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 11th August 2022 at 16:38.
Old 11th August 2022, 18:47   #35938
BHPian

Quote:
All we need is a 'police pursuit policy'.
If every policeman starts doing what was done, we don't have to go the movies for entertainment, it will be delivered live and kicking.

Extrapolation is exaggerated. Reference of entertainment is a misfit to be fair. nevertheless courts are there, for review of police executive powers.
Sticking to accidents pictures and related comments, going onwards.
~Zombie~ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 19:08   #35939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zombie~ View Post
Extrapolation is exaggerated. Reference of entertainment is a misfit to be fair.
The irony is, that the link you shared had the headline 'Bollywood-style chase'.

All news channels also reported this incident similarly.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 11th August 2022 at 19:13.
Old 11th August 2022, 20:59   #35940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
N
To usher improved safety of road users, we need 2 very HARSH actions from the Government:
a) DEMONESTISATION-style scrapping of existing licenses of road users, so that everyone has to retake their tests and licenses are given to only those who have studied and at the bare minimum, road-worthy.
Education has nothing to do with how you drive. We can see this on our roads all the time. In fact the state with highest literacy has one of the most dangerous and infamous bus drivers.

Giving DL after accepting bribes is a 2 way process. RTO examiners will openly take bribes and issue new DLs again.
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed