Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 23:33   #35941
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
Captured this accident with my car dashcam on Saturday. The red Ford was being driven at some what high speeds in the rains and ended up hitting a divider after getting aquaplaned. The rest is in the video.

https://Youtu.be/5b7U_ZrU6dE
I am unable to figure out what pushed the car backwards after going through that pond of water.

Did it rear-end that 3-wheeler which caused the backward push to Figo?

I don't think the Figo hit the divider and that caused the Figo to get pushed backwards. Or am I missing something?
Old 13th August 2022, 00:02   #35942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I am unable to figure out what pushed the car backwards after going through that pond of water.

Did it rear-end that 3-wheeler which caused the backward push to Figo?

I don't think the Figo hit the divider and that caused the Figo to get pushed backwards. Or am I missing something?
Inertia.
This happens so often. Everytime a car(or any vehicle for that matter) swerves and turns around 180 deg, it will continue to move in the direction of its initial motion.
Driver usually applies brakes and stops this motion. If the clutch is pressed and brakes are not applied, it will continue for a longer distance.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 00:38   #35943
BHPian

Not a accident, but a really close one, who's at fault? The bike in the middle of the road or the M2 Competition sending it.

Split second manoeuver saved the motorcyclist, could have ended up much worse.

Last edited by RohaNN_kWh : 13th August 2022 at 00:40.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 00:58   #35944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
https://Youtu.be/2h-_Cdzu8GE

Not a accident, but a really close one, who's at fault? The bike in the middle of the road or the M2 Competition sending it.

Obviously the car because it's going much faster than it should in that stretch of road. People who walk and people on bikes do need to cross the road sometimes. They cannot be expected to prepare for cars going 100kmph in front of them.
karanddd is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 01:57   #35945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post

On the contrary, sane speed of 80-90 not only improves FE, I feel fresh after reaching the destination and can carry on usual chores.

I do drive a Ciaz, probably premium Cars/SUVs can do little more speed, but our brain can process the images only at certain speeds anything in excess is inviting trouble or fatigue do to over alertness.
I experienced this first hand in my Baleno. I used to travel 200kms from my hometown to my university once a month by car and I'd sometimes drive at 100-120 trying to reach home before the sun set. I would reach home dead tired, with discomfort in eyes and mentally exhausted. On the other hand, during the long days of summer I'd drive calmly at 80 and after the journey I'd feel completely fresh. The time difference? A mere 30 minutes. The faster trip also wore down the brake pads more. The Fuel economy difference was also quite significant.

Indian roads have haphazard traffic and people don't follow the lanes or the rules properly. You can't maintain high speeds for long, and the inevitable up-down in speed tires you.
RoadMonkey is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 07:21   #35946

Quote:
That is horrible driving to race ahead at that speed straight off a toll booth.
Ram22693 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 10:06   #35947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Judging by the person taking the video and one more person doing the same, looks like a planned speed run for social media?! If yes, couldn't they have found a nice empty stretch or track to do such things?
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 13:57   #35948
BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/2h-_Cdzu8GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
Obviously the car because it's going much faster than it should in that stretch of road. People who walk and people on bikes do need to cross the road sometimes. They cannot be expected to prepare for cars going 100kmph in front of them.

Eh? The biker is clearly crossing the road at a point where it is illegal to do so. Notice the median and the solid/unbroken white line. Also notice that he seems to be coming against the flow of the traffic.

Yes, the car was speeding. But the biker has no business being on the wrong side of the road and attempting to make a u-turn(?) at that place. Follow the rules, go the extra 100 meters or so, and make a proper, legal u-turn.
N.A.GTC is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 22:37   #35949
BHPian

The video shows the most common and dangerous mistake we tend to commit.

Never, ever, ever overtake when you do not have a clear path ahead. Especially when the other vehicle in front is changing lanes.
It is changing lanes for a reason!

Start the video from 30 sec to save yourself from unnecessary repeating video and commentary.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 14th August 2022 at 22:39.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 00:14   #35950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The video shows the most common and dangerous mistake we tend to commit.
Oh yes, this is basic! Vehicle in front slowing down or changing lanes? Slow down too, ask why, and don't overtake until you know and know its safe.

I have a horrible feeling that most of my posts are 2-wheeler rants these days. Sad, but honestly, this is the majority of the worst stuff I see around me on the streets: vehicle slowing down? Get past it!

I hope the cow was ok.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 02:41   #35951
BHPian

Just heard of a horrific accident of some politician, Vinayak Mete, on Mumbai Pune highway.

A truck came from the opposite direction and hit the politician's Endeavour. He was seated in the backseat and got enough injuries to result in his sad demise. The driver and co driver are alright. As tragic as the accident is, it is unfathomable how the truck came from the wrong direction on the expressway.
Old 15th August 2022, 09:23   #35952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
I recently did a Mumbai Goa round trip, an aquaplaning was one of my biggest worries. Thankfully it did not rain a lot and I stuck to the middle lane with speeds in check.
Found this on the Continental website. I hope this will help in an event of aquaplaning.

https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...ns/aquaplaning

I drove on a highway for the first time in 2010 towards Madikeri from Bangalore with my Brother-in-law and his friends one of them was an expert driver. He taught me as soon as we see water pool on road and have to pass through it, we should just press break pedal lightly and pass through the water in reducing speed. Its in my subconscious memory now, activates automatically when such conditions occur.
s.sriram1989@gm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 09:51   #35953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Slow down too, ask why, and don't overtake until you know and know its safe.
True. Usually when someone ahead slows down the reaction is “that driver is an idiot to have blocked traffic “. Everyone thinks they are better than the average driver and hence don’t pay attention to others’ actions
StopUnderrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 10:05   #35954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Just heard of a horrific accident of some politician, Vinayak Mete, on Mumbai Pune highway.

A truck came from the opposite direction and hit the politician's Endeavour. He was seated in the backseat and got enough injuries to result in his sad demise. The driver and co driver are alright. As tragic as the accident is, it is unfathomable how the truck came from the wrong direction on the expressway.
All papers are telling a coherent story different from yours. It seems to be a clear cut case of rear underride with a truck while overtaking.
Typically this is how it happens:
- Truck moving at 40kph
- Car overtakes at 90kph without honking
- Truck suddenly moves slightly to the right or car driver is not attentive while overtaking
A car’s greenhouse (region above bonnet) can’t take a hit at more than 20kph relative speed thus causing direct contact of occupants’ heads with the truck’s rigid load body.

https://www.mid-day.com/mumbai/mumba...ssway-23241007

Last edited by StopUnderrides : 15th August 2022 at 10:23.
StopUnderrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 12:54   #35955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
All papers are telling a coherent story different from yours. It seems to be a clear cut case of rear underride with a truck while overtaking.
Typically this is how it happens:
- Truck moving at 40kph
- Car overtakes at 90kph without honking
- Truck suddenly moves slightly to the right or car driver is not attentive while overtaking
A car’s greenhouse (region above bonnet) can’t take a hit at more than 20kph relative speed thus causing direct contact of occupants’ heads with the truck’s rigid load body.

https://www.mid-day.com/mumbai/mumba...ssway-23241007
I was narrated this incident by a friend who works for NHAI. The narration seems to be clearly wrong after reading the news source posted by you. Thanks!
Fuldagap is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks