Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 00:24   #36151

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

After starting my expeditions on long roadtrips (greater than 800KM), I have started witnessing more fatal accidents involving trucks rolling over. Overloaded trucks are a major cause as I understand in case of trucks.
Once such instance was this where on the eastern express way (Mumbai), a small sized tempo rear ended a cab (wagon-r) and Wagon R rear ended Honda Accord (7th Segment).
Not sure who was the culprit but I am assuming this was some urgent braking by Accord that led to the previous two vehicles rear ending each other.

Tempo and Cabbie's dont really believe in keeping safe distance, in a similar situation myself on Vashi-Mankhurd stretch, where an absent minded car driver decided to cut lane without bothering to look into his ORVM, I did hit brake but steered left as well to avoid direct frontal impact and luckily we escaped the situation without any scratch. But another biker on road who was to my left was scared to death and I am sure he must have abused me but it was an unavoidable situation and I had to choose what will cause less damage. This was it when I decided to install a dashcam.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220909-00.13.44.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220909-00.11.22.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220909-00.12.00.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20220909-00.13.06.png  

singhvikas101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 10:11   #36152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Saudi drifting comes home!
The accident clearly shows that braking and aggressive maneuvering don't go hand in hand. Being a Maruti I'm pretty sure this car didn't have ESP which could have saved the situation had it been here. Nevertheless, the guys should thank their stars that the vehicle didn't tumble nor any other vehicle rammed them from behind.
AROO7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 12:55   #36153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Came across this accident on you tube. The car apparently was being driven by the owner, a Youtuber.
I don’t usually resort to name calling on public forums but this guy is a grade A moron. I remember stumbling across his videos when I was looking at ownership reviews of XUV700. They follow all the rules as mentioned in their handbook “how to drive like an idiot 101”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Earlier videos also he had invited ridicule for doing utterly stupid things like swapping Bridgestone for Apollo tyres. Most of his cronies appearing in videos, were seen milking his stupidity.
False and shady marketing by few YouTubers. This fellow ripped of Sony sound system from his XUV AX7L called it useless due to how “fragile” the “paper” was on speaker and got something else installed. He sabotaged his XUV by getting shady modifications done and then cried foul. He did the same with his fortuner, few even called out his claim of accident and whether those claims were genuine.

Take this another video for example, the car “reviewer” here is driving the vehicle like a mad man with one hand on steering wheel and phone to record video in another all the while honking, over speeding and then calling out others for driving on the wrong side of the road.

These YouTubers have lakhs of subscribers and Indian audiences as such are very impressionable. Many who follow them think it’s perfectly okay to do so. I am not going to sit here and act like I am custodian of the law or something but this kind of behaviour is dangerous and can lead to serious consequences for anyone.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 9th September 2022 at 13:03.
BleueNinja is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 00:15   #36154
BHPian

Rumble strips are useless in the Indian Heavy Vehicle context.

The truck's brake may have failed too.

Police car video in between is useless. Just depicting quick police response.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 10th September 2022 at 00:18.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 00:32   #36155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarML View Post
People seem to be waiting to see more drama without realizing that it could risk their lives along with other vehicles.
I always wonder what the objective of staying in such precarious places, making such a video is? Or, the crowd lingering around other accidents. When they cant be of help to anyone, why cant they go on with their lives?

Such instances serve as proof to the safety related poll that is going on here. People just dont care about the risk they take, for no returns.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 05:36   #36156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/DfF38ICbFNo

That car's occupants are incredibly lucky.

Good to know police respond quickly

What was the swaying bit in the end about?

This is an accident caused by because the truck is overloaded and there having a high centre of gravity. The rest is physics- obviously too fast for the condition and load.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 06:06   #36157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
What was the swaying bit in the end about?
It appears that one of the vehicle hit the pole which had the camera.
Old 10th September 2022, 08:50   #36158
Distinguished - BHPian

OVerloaded truck, going too fast on a curve - either due to faulty brakes and could not slow down, or deliberately going fast. While the trucks are normally overloaded, I dont think the driver would have deliberately gone fast on the ghat. They do have at least that much sense in them. My guess is the brakes.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 10:23   #36159
BHPian

Quote:
Rumble strips are useless in the Indian Heavy Vehicle context.

https://Youtu.be/DfF38ICbFNo

The truck's brake may have failed too.

I believe, most of the trucks "coast" in this section, since its downward slope, in neutral so as to save some fuel. This reduces engine braking and with that load normal brakes dont bite much or leads to brakes locking as we can see that the truck is swaying before toppling. Curvy Downward slope, over speeding, Over loading and high centre of gravity could be the reasons.
kiran_cr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 11:31   #36160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
This is an accident caused by because the truck is overloaded and there having a high centre of gravity. The rest is physics- obviously too fast for the condition and load.
This looks more like wrong loading and speeding.
If you see the truck carefully when it is entering the curve, the front tires and suspension show compression due to load, where as the rear axle and tires do not show any compression like an empty or lightly loaded truck.

Another thing is on 7th I went from Pune to Kolhapur and back in a bus, sitting right behind the driver both ways. In the round trip we got brake checked 3 times, all three times when the bus was overtaking a truck at or near 80 kph in LH lane, of these two were predicted by driver as he commented to the attendant that the #%$& will now brake and the third one caught him by surprise.
Old 10th September 2022, 13:21   #36161
BHPian

A 19 year old youth from Kerala lost his life yesterday when his SUV toppled during an overtaking gone wrong in Ooty, Tamilnadu.
The CCTV footages show the Scorpio undertaking a dangerous overtake of bus in ghat section while a truck is already in opposite lane. The SUV swerves, loses control, topples and hits a road side shop. The 19 year old was driving the Scorpio. The owner of the roadside shop was injured.

RIP.

Thankfully no other vehicle was coming on the opposite lane and thus no head on collision. Also other pedestrians were lucky that Scorpio didn't swerve their way.
Common sense, sensible driving in slower speeds would have averted the accident. Electronic stability control could have brought the SUV under control.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 10th September 2022 at 13:38.
Arwin07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 14:02   #36162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
A 19 year old youth from Kerala lost his life yesterday when his SUV toppled during an overtaking gone wrong in Ooty, Tamilnadu.
The CCTV footages show the Scorpio undertaking a dangerous overtake of bus in ghat sectio
Seatbelt and following road signs would have averted this tragedy.
The same road sign would be there on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20220910_1357192.jpg  

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 15:37   #36163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Common sense, sensible driving in slower speeds would have averted the accident.
Dear brother,

May the soul of deceased RIP. He was not over-speeding although the overtaking maneovour was risky.

The hard rubber compound Or old tyres of the scorpio caused this accident.
Stickiness which the tyres provides in turns was missing here.

We see dozens of new vehicles doing such overtakes on turns without losing grip.

Regards.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 16:02   #36164
BHPian

Guess, the Scorpio was above 70 kmph. Below 70 kmph, most of our Indian vehicles can be controlled. And they won't swerve in the way the Scorpio did.

Toppling is a natural phenomenon of any SUV, but Scorpio is more prone to it.

If he's a local person, then normally owners change their tyres earlier in hilly regions, compared to flat terrain owners owing to the risks involved.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 22:35   #36165
Team-BHP Support

Blind overtake on an S-bend, while barely missing oncoming uphill traffic and left-turn view blocked by a bus!

I wouldn't try two quick changes of direction at speed in a Scorpio on an open, flat, empty road. It must take a truly special kind to imagine downhill in traffic is the place to do it.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks