Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2022, 10:25   #36226
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
This is the craziest thing I've seen in a while

See it to believe it.
I did not see the second part coming! Man, he should be thanking his lucky stars. Should have gone and bought a lottery ticket after this.

Too fast? Car doing drama on road? Oh well...
deathwalkr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 10:30   #36227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Another Day; Another bunch of Idiots on Road. Amazing his phone was still recording even in water.
Which car is that? I know some Kia. The way it was driving from the beginning of video, clearly it was not settled and was expected. Or that idiot on the driving seat totally did not have control on the car and was still speeding beyond his and car's limit.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 12:27   #36228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
The government bus overtaking on a flyover, a 17 year old without driving license riding a motorcycle, riding motorcycle as triples, motorcycle trying to overtake on a flyover.

RIP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On top of all the other lessons mentioned by others, is the bad habit of treating immediately behind (tailgating, in fact) as the position from which to overtake.
I often wonder. We now have CCTVs aplenty on the roads. We have algorithms which can detect stupidity and recklessness, along with registration plates.

Why cannot traffic police join these dots and become the richest public department in a municipality?
Why do they instead insist on wasting their time going after peanuts and peaheads?
dust-n-bones is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 12:30   #36229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Which car is that? I know some Kia.
I thought KIA too but looking at the Infotainment screen seemed like Range Rover older model. Not sure.

Last edited by vidyanand : 16th September 2022 at 12:33.
vidyanand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 12:33   #36230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Which car is that? I know some Kia. The way it was driving from the beginning of video, clearly it was not settled and was expected. Or that idiot on the driving seat totally did not have control on the car and was still speeding beyond his and car's limit.
That's a Kia Sportage. I had seen couple of video reviews from India in some Youtube channel. Not sure how this guy got to drive this.

Hope these boys survived
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 15:40   #36231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Perhaps the thumb rule needs to be - two car lengths when following a car, two bus lengths when following a bus, two articulated truck lengths when following an articulated truck...
You can do this in US.
Heck, Initially I tried to "look over the shoulder" during lane change by habit, I almost crashed into an bike which came out of nowhere in front of me. Nowadays I am dependent on horn for lane change like everybody else.

It is very difficult to implement this level of defensive driving [ at least in and around Mumbai ]

If you try to follow this, you will end up with
  • some Idiot tailgating you, honking all the time.
  • some Idiot will slip into the vacant space .
narmad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 20:06   #36232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmad View Post

It is very difficult to implement this level of defensive driving [ at least in and around Mumbai ]

If you try to follow this, you will end up with
  • some Idiot tailgating you, honking all the time.
  • some Idiot will slip into the vacant space .
In Bangalore city if you leave 2 car distance following another car, that gap will get filled by 3 autos and 5 bikes. And if I keep making that distance again, I might be going reverse in the opposite direction
Jokes apart totally agree on this on highways though
sunikkat is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 20:19   #36233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
It is heartbreaking to see that there was one person in the car who had a sane mind, and tried to talk sense into the driver, but failed. Probably ended up getting hurt. If only he could have avoided getting into this car!

I think it is important to talk to youngsters about an exit plan from tough social situations. A code from the teen/youngster to get himself extracted out of any situation without consequence. The code can be anything, Lalbagh, or Lal Kila, or code red. This one time my son's friends were talking about a late night drive, he texted me the code. I called him to say there was a family emergency and I picked him up immediately. No lectures (about how much trouble it was for me), no questions - who the kids were, why he went there, etc. Just appreciate the good call he made.
That is how most of the youngsters would start realizing when and where to stop. As I mentioned in my earlier post that these habits are either inculcated by the parents or come in after self realization. Great parenting, Kudos to you.

It is not that youngsters (including me, am 21) don't go for late night drives or something like that. Me and my friends go for a late night drive almost every weekend and we have cars ranging from Ford Figo, grand i10, Gypsy to the luxury barges. But we all follow the speed limits or I would rather say we prefer cruising at 40-50kmph, enjoying songs under the night sky and discussing how our week went with a smoke or two. We prefer partying at someone's home and staying the night there rather than driving back.

These are very small things to follow but if followed, more than 50% of road accidents caused by people aged 18-25 can be prevented. And as I mentioned this can only be inculcated by the parents or come in after realizing yourself. For me, it was both.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th September 2022 at 07:22. Reason: Rule #11
Akash_1806 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 22:02   #36234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
I thought KIA too but looking at the Infotainment screen seemed like Range Rover older model. Not sure.
I believe the video is from Pakistan. The reason being their dialect, and a car which isn't sold in in our country.
Hemi6.2 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 22:07   #36235
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
The guy driving the bolero pickup was lucky and had good instincts, while the Etios braked at the last moment. It was purely the negligence of the truck driver. It is quite shocking and tragic to see that 3 lives were lost due to no fault of their own.
vivek2652 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 22:16   #36236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Perhaps the thumb rule needs to be - two car lengths when following a car, two bus lengths when following a bus, two articulated truck lengths when following an articulated truck...
The thumb rule followed in the other countries is not in terms of distance, but the time it takes for one to be able to count "1001, 1002, 1003". Reference. When I was getting my license in USA 20+yr ago, I remember it was 2 numbers. Having a fixed length gap will not address the speed variable.

Last edited by skumare : 16th September 2022 at 22:19. Reason: typo
skumare is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 22:55   #36237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Did the heavily loaded truck make an unsuccessful attempt to avoid the silver sedan jutting out across its lane? The nature of the skid seems like locked up wheels triggering a slide and the massive momentum of the load making it swerve uncontrollably.

Still surprising why the truck driver, despite the clear straight sight ahead; reacted thus

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 16th September 2022 at 22:56.
Old 16th September 2022, 23:27   #36238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I disagree strongly.

The overtaking bus driver is indeed wrong to be doing so in the face of oncoming traffic. This does not make him responsible for the idiot coming suddenly from the blind spot immediately behind the oncoming bus.
I disagree. Anticipation is one of the key qualities of good drivers. In many countries, anticipation is formally tested as a requirement for granting a driving licence.

We have to analyse the situation objectively, and for that we have to ignore the victim for a moment.

Consider the scenario from the perspective of the bus driver. He makes the following sequence of bad decisions
  1. Decides to overtake on a left-bend, which severely restricts his vision
  2. Tries to overtake behind a another bus which is already engaging in a dangerous maneuver. The bus in front of him further restricts his already restricted vision
  3. Tries to overtake two vehicles at the same time without enough space to merge back
  4. Executes an overtaking maneuver on the downhill side; the vehicles being overtaken naturally tend to speed up
  5. Does not stop his maneuver when he clearly sees the private bus which is way too close, and which doesn't have any room to pull to the left

This accident could have been avoided had the driver refrained from any one of the above through anticipation.

On the other hand, due to his dangerous maneuver, he caused danger to the white car that he's overtaking, the tata ace, the private bus, and indeed to his own passengers.

It is mere coincidence that the victim is an underage biker who's executing a risky maneuver himself. Had it been a truck, or an ambulance, or another bus, I'm sure that an accident would've been unavoidable.

Government bus drivers in Tamil Nadu are decorated morons who are vote banks for political parties. They believe that they are untouchable. In my opinion, the driver should be tried for voluntary manslaughter, and sentenced to rigourous imprisonment. Obviously, his licence must be revoked, and his PF etc. should be liquidated to compensate the victim's family. Only then those thugs will learn a thing or two.

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 16th September 2022 at 23:33. Reason: Typo
buzzy_boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 00:36   #36239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
I disagree. ... ... ...
This accident could have been avoided had the driver refrained from any one of the above through anticipation.
In other words, the accident wouldn't have happened in a different world. It looks to me like massive overthinking.

It was the biker that drove straight into the accident. Non-one else. Regardless of how bad the driving of others was.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 11:40   #36240
Distinguished - BHPian

A freak accident near Buldhana, West Central India, that claimed the limbs of two road users. The culprit was a Maharashtra State Transport bus whose driver had left open the tool box gate, as far as I could gather from the news report.
While driving with this metal gate open, two men on the traffic who came in its way got their hands chopped off. The driver was blissfully moving ahead even after the first victim's hand got chopped off.

A really sad commentary of the times when those not at fault can suffer grievous injuries.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nagpur-city-line_20220917-1.jpeg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th September 2022 at 11:43.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks