Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2022, 09:25   #36271
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A very somber and sad collection of events. Just goes to show how risky it is to drive and live .

Just yesterday I drove to the airport to pick up some one
From sarjapura to Bial and have 3 close calls.

One : near Budigere I was travelling on the left lane at city speeds while a truck was travelling on the right lane.. Suddenly the truck swerved to the left by atleast 7 feet with out a horn or indicator .. I had to swerve evasively as well. Saw in my ORVM that a bike had blocked a small intersection and the truck had swerved
To avoid the bike.

Incident two and three : google maps took me through narrow lanes where two cars could pass if they drive slowly. Atleast a couple of instances where the opposite driver came too fast and almost hit my car. I had to swerve left to avoid the hit. God forbid a biker or pedestrian on the left may have limited my ability to swerve.

I believe we need to buy the safest car in respective budgets, buckle up, stay super focused to anticipate any sudden threats and pray to god we return back safe..
charanreddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 11:20   #36272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Accident at Chikballapura, in today's news. Few people lost their lives.
Skip 15 seconds.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=PBHjCT5-ZDI

Not safe even in a proper parking space some 100 meters away from Road. Terrible!

There could have been a chance for the man and the kid if the man had kept eyes on the truck instead of turning around and running away from it.
Old 21st September 2022, 12:02   #36273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
+1.

I think the bigger culprits are the stationary white car and the truck behind it, which have essentially blocked a highway carriageway. The 18-wheeler trucker had no space left for any sort of evasive manoeuvre except the break in the median.
I agree that given our road infrastructure, all drivers in general have to take over-sized responsibility for safety.
Having said that, we should use this forum to also highlight the complete dis-regard to safety by NHAI and Indian Road Congress as well.
  • How can there be a through intersection across four 80 kmph lanes? Entrance (and exit) to highways should be via on-ramps with sufficient distance to merge safely - in the same direction.
    Like this. Don't find many good examples of this in street view from India. Happy to stand corrected.
    Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-highwaymerge.jpg
  • If a U-turn has to designed across high speed lanes, should there not be a 'turning lane' with rumble strips, sign-boards and flashing orange lights?
    Something like this, if you can ignore the incorrect STOP sign on a high speed lane, faulty paint on the same lane suggesting you can go straight or turn right from it, and (phew) gardening in another with a flimsy plastic barricade.
    Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-turninglane.jpg

Last edited by dust-n-bones : 21st September 2022 at 12:13.
dust-n-bones is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 13:38   #36274
BHPian

Lucky kid escapes the fatal accident miraculously, in Kerala.
Kid might've got some minor scratches.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 21st September 2022 at 13:39.
ramki.grandhi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 14:02   #36275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Having said that, we should use this forum to also highlight the complete dis-regard to safety by NHAI and Indian Road Congress as well.
Found this interesting video on intersection safety.

We have 1000s of intersections, gap in medians across our highways and it takes time to implement all over India. Until then, we need to be aware of the conflict points, angles discussed in the video to prevent a collision.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 14:57   #36276
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Dj4VH78v5JI
I'm more concerned for the right leg of the crossing rider.

There are so many such accidents where the person who is crossing a road doesn't have enough patience and people driving on country roads drive way too fast, there is no point even trying to point out the mistakes.

We can only feel sorry for the whole drama on Indian roads and wish to be safe ourselves while venturing out.
amods is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 15:41   #36277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is ridiculous. It's the sort of thing that one used to see in old silent movies. Slapstick humour. It would be funny if it wasn't real.

Two bikers with no care in the world. Certainly no care for each other .
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 19:36   #36278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it. The kid's face seems to bang on the road. Hopefuly no injuries to the jaw. Both riders are stupid. Especially the one with the kid on the pillion. He must be extra careful, doubly sure before attempting to cross.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 19:52   #36279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
We have 1000s of intersections, gap in medians across our highways and it takes time to implement all over India. Until then, we need to be aware of the conflict points, angles discussed in the video to prevent a collision.
If NHAI recognizes the problem and has a plan to address it, I would agree with you. No such thing. They conveniently pass on the blame to the drivers. We keep ignoring design flaws which have been fixed decades ago elsewhere in the world. And normalizing stats like these.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accidentstats.jpg
dust-n-bones is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 20:30   #36280
BHPian

A wrong side rider learnt a lesson very hard. Hope they both survived.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 20:40   #36281
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n33rav View Post
There could have been a chance for the man and the kid if the man had kept eyes on the truck instead of turning around and running away from it.
Who will do that, when he is tending to the kid near the car, parked well inside a parking lot, well away from the service road of the highway, but facing the highway all the time, inorder to watch out whether some vehicle is boomeranging towards them ? I know I won't.
It was too late by the time he saw the truck, and instinctively he picked up the kid. The rest is simply muscle reflex. To see the truck that late, and then to pickup the kid, and jump out of the way, in the most optimal direction, whilst predicting the path that the truck is careening into , it will have to be a person with special forces training or a ninja.

It is simply unfortunate. Bad luck.
To suggest "had he always kept his eyes on the truck......" is invalid, IMHO.
venkyhere is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 20:43   #36282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
A wrong side rider learnt a lesson very hard. Hope they both survived.
I may sound like a sadist here but everytime I see someone riding on the wrong side I sincerely wish this happens to them and at the same time I feel bad for an innocent law abiding driver getting tangled in a legal mess and will most likely be penalized for 'overspeeding'.

So I am changing my wish - I wish every wrong side drivers gets hit by another wrong side driver and learn a lesson! I only hope that such a crash doesn't involve two wrong sided school buses because that would be too cruel on the innocent kids.. Uff! I really hope we find a solution for this wrong side driving disease
nagr22 is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 20:50   #36283
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
  • How can there be a through intersection across four 80 kmph lanes? Entrance (and exit) to highways should be via on-ramps with sufficient distance to merge safely - in the same direction.
  • If a U-turn has to designed across high speed lanes, should there not be a 'turning lane' with rumble strips, sign-boards and flashing orange lights?
You mustn't forget that this is India, and this is NHAI with it's monumental inertia of babudom with it's own gravity field of corruption. It doesn't matter if there are a few righteous or bright or scientifically/logically aware people in the pyramid, the inertia of 'that will do' is too much. Are you seriously expecting "let's review the accidents, is there a design fault, which if it is, needs to be corrected" thought process from an Indian govt organisation ? Maybe if it was Japan or Israel or Germany or some such country, where they are willing to learn from mistakes. But this is India, 'luck' and 'fate' are the root cause of 90% of problems that it's citizens face.
venkyhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 21:06   #36284
BHPian

Found one more video:

Don't have airbags? No problem, we have sand bags for you and your car!
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 21:51   #36285
BHPian

Horrible hit and run in Mumbai
https://twitter.com/i/status/1572613764696117249
s.sriram1989@gm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks