Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2022, 17:40   #36316
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

I still don't understand how that car moved, and kept moving. Was it an automatic (unlikely given it was a cab)? It would either lunge and stall (if not in neutral and no 'press clutch to start' mechanism), or would start and rev (if started in neutral). The news article explanation doesn't seem to hold up.
It’s possible that he started it in N (no brake necessary) and a simple knee or wrist hit to the shifter and it’s in D where it’ll start creeping forward, now he panics and presses the accelerator instead of the brakes, it’s happened with many old people before. If you’re tall, it’s very easy to hit the shifter with your left knee as it’s at an angle and small cars have very narrow centre consoles.

Last edited by AJ56 : 24th September 2022 at 17:42.
Old 24th September 2022, 17:51   #36317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
It’s possible that he started it in N (no brake necessary) and a simple knee or wrist hit to the shifter and it’s in D where it’ll start creeping forward, now he panics and presses the accelerator instead of the brakes...
Plausible on an AT.

That car appears to be an Xcent Prime (cab version) though. I don't believe it's sold with an autobox.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 18:14   #36318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It would either lunge and stall (if not in neutral and no 'press clutch to start' mechanism)..
Exactly. This looks like a case of unknowingly stepping on the gas even before cranking the engine. Unlike car drivers, an auto driver wouldn't find anything unusual in this as they are used to press brake with their right foot.

Now if the car is in 1st, handbrake engaged or not, it will lunge forward when the motor is cranked. It won't stall as long as the accelerator is kept pressed.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 19:05   #36319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Now if the car is in 1st, handbrake engaged or not, it will lunge forward when the motor is cranked. It won't stall as long as the accelerator is kept pressed.
This topic has been stretched a lot and I apologize for adding to it further, but your explanation still would not make sense.

In news story it says the car moved from standstill when the driver got inside to charge his phone. The key point being, "from standstill".

No matter what gear the car was in, moving a car from standstill would have necessitated some form of clutch input. So the story that says that "the car moved accidentally because the driver unknowingly pressed the accelerator" doesn't fit.

I believe the actual cab driver would have asked the auto driver to press the clutch to get the car started but the auto driver must have released it afterwards and pressed the accelerator.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 24th September 2022 at 19:07.
Old 24th September 2022, 20:57   #36320
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
No matter what gear the car was in, moving a car from standstill would have necessitated some form of clutch input. So the story that says that "the car moved accidentally because the driver unknowingly pressed the accelerator" doesn't fit.
What if this is the scenario :
1. Car is stopped in gear
2. The guy trying to start the car is an auto-rickshaw driver, who is used to a 'foot brake' on his right foot
3. He turns the key, whilst foot is firmly on the A-pedal (didn't know which pedal is brake, but the feet remembered to press something out of muscle memory).
4. Car takes off and doesn't stall, because A-pedal is firmly pressed
5. He panics, but muscle memory in his right foot keeps the leg planted on the A-pedal, because that is how to 'brake' an auto-rickshaw in panic.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 21:31   #36321
BHPian

Quite an eventful trip to Gurgaon yesterday !
Spotted an accident on the Delhi-Meerut expressway while coming back. Was raining non stop and the expressway was wet. No further details on the accident, must've been a simple case of aquaplaning and losing control. Hope there were no casualties. What's funny is that people had stopped just to spectate, which itself could've resulted in a disastrous pileup. There were plenty of puddles on a supposedly world class expressway and I myself ran into several of them. Photos are at the end.

Another example -

I was maintaining a slow 60-70kmph due to the rains, there was enough water on the road for aquaplaning to be possible.

Near Muzaffarnagar, spotted a weird guy in my RVM and at first thought it was a normal stupid guy jumping from lane to lane, later looking at his erratic steering inputs, I suspected him to be sleepy/drunk. Luckily he pulled over 10 seconds after this clip.
You be the judge.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus2.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus-crash.png  

Yash390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 10:56   #36322
BHPian

A scary accident happened at Palladam bus terminus. It didn't look as if he was trying get down from running bus, either the person got fainted or slipped. The only mistake was, he shouldn't have stood at the exit. Feel sorry for all the affected parties

vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 12:27   #36323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
Near Muzaffarnagar, spotted a weird guy in my RVM and at first thought it was a normal stupid guy jumping from lane to lane, later looking at his erratic steering inputs, I suspected him to be sleepy/drunk. Luckily he pulled over 10 seconds after this clip.
You be the judge.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=S1-2...nel=YashSharma
Seems like someone driving on a wet road on bald tyres.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 16:49   #36324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
You be the judge.
Perhaps he was fatigued and disoriented and maybe trying to stay off the path of possible spray coming from behind you?
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 19:10   #36325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
A scary accident happened at Palladam bus terminus. It didn't look as if he was trying get down from running bus, either the person got fainted or slipped. The only mistake was, he shouldn't have stood at the exit. Feel sorry for all the affected parties

https://Youtu.be/-AV2g_pFK2k
Awful end. This shouldn't happen even to our worst enemy.

Additionally, the conductors ought to monitor and insist all passengers to be seated till the bus comes to a complete halt. I hope this acts as a wake up call and new SOPs are introduced for bus operators.

Would pray for the departed soul.
Old 25th September 2022, 20:12   #36326
BHPian

While I always prayed I wouldn’t Have to post an accident activity by myself, yet the dreadful day has arrived.

Today afternoon, at around 12 noon, started from home, Borivali towards Sion. Took the normal WEH and things were fine until the Oberoi/Dindoshi Flyover.

The usual traffic build up on the southbound arm (towards Bandra) led to bumper-to-bumper traffic and I stuck to the usual middle lane.

Was patiently waiting for the traffic ahead to move, and had stopped my car (Ciaz) just behind a Tata 407, keeping a safe distance of about 5-6 ft between us.

A couple seconds later, glanced at the IRVM, and saw a fast moving dumper closing in from the rear. A second later, the dumper rammed himself into the boot of my car, and here are the pictures (first 3)-

The impact was such that the car leaped forward by atleast 6-7 feet and rammed into the stationary 407, with right headlight coming out of the assembly as a result of the impact (picture 4).

Fortunately, none of us in the cabin (myself, wife and our 6 month old toddler) felt anything except for a jerk, the boot and the bumper having taken the entire impact to not transfer anything into the cabin.

As of now, car is in the Sai Service workshop for repairs, with estimate of about 1.65 L being quoted (actual figure to be confirmed upon the Surveyor visiting and inspecting the vehicle tomorrow).
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-9051a74f8ec84fa7a91cd96fede69326.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-08503df125394d15a48d3feb19df8a59.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-59ae6cc0415744a684ff20712bbc9dd7.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a9607bbe2e344e3cabbb07a238bb6a7b.jpeg  

jigar1791@gmail is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 21:25   #36327
SDx
BHPian

Saw this accident on ramp to enter Barapullah flyover today. Not sure exactly what happened but my guess is its was a head on head collision. One of cars was heading in wrong direction.

Felt bad for the new Brezza and it's owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pxl_20220925_1051025853.jpg  

SDx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 21:51   #36328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
While I always prayed I wouldn’t Have to post an accident activity by myself, yet the dreadful day has arrived.
Very sorry. Sad to see your car looking like that.

It seems that it is all too easy to drive into stationary traffic. Somehow, even if fully alert and awake (and maybe your guy was not) it takes time to realise that the cars we think are moving are stopped.

No, I have never done it. But I was with a friend who was driving fast, and I realised that he had not realised. As we came to a halt, in time, he said, "Thank you. That was almost an emergency stop at that speed, and no, I hadn't realised."

Passengers can be useful. Never nag the driver, but be like a watch keeper at sea. Just tell what you see. I always tell my passengers to do that. Usually I have seen, but there's always a chance they might save some bodywork or even a life.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 22:12   #36329
BHPian

Quote:
Was patiently waiting for the traffic ahead to move, and had stopped my car (Ciaz) just behind a Tata 407, keeping a safe distance of about 5-6 ft between us.
Glad to know you and your family are fine. I always am scared about the rear impact rather than front collision. I drive with good distance between two, but during hard breaking scenarios my first reaction is checking the rear view mirror.

Road is filled with idiots and careless people.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 22:55   #36330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A couple seconds later, glanced at the IRVM, and saw a fast moving dumper closing in from the rear. A second later, the dumper rammed himself into the boot of my car, and here are the pictures (first 3)-

The impact was such that the car leaped forward by atleast 6-7 feet and rammed into the stationary 407, with right headlight coming out of the assembly as a result of the impact (picture 4).

Fortunately, none of us in the cabin (myself, wife and our 6 month old toddler) felt anything except for a jerk, the boot and the bumper having taken the entire impact to not transfer anything into the cabin.
Very good news that you and your two family members are safe and unscathed. We can just imagine two Tata trucks on both ends and a Maruti in between to fathom what could have been the scenario had the dumper hit the car at any higher speed. Moreover, the Ciaz endured it well though the damage that has happened makes one sad and much disturbed.

Such accidents could occur with any cautious and even not so cautious driver, as his driving skills were neither tested otherwise and were in no way responsible to cause the mishap. It was bad luck that played a major role.

The ASC will surely be able to put your car back in ship shape soon, even though at a cost.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks