Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2022, 17:02   #36586
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
We have a really sad state of law affairs where even the police works without using their common sense.
Maybe they are using common sense, the deceased were well connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I simply don't know whether to feel sorry for these men or not. It is not as if they were 18 year olds out for a spin in Daddy's car.
Call me desensitised but I don't feel sorry for at least the front occupants not sure about the other two, but definitely all their families.

Going by the video, the "300 maar" chap was drunk/high to his gills, the chap driving didn't seem high but was too obedient to be the owner and the other two were too timid/high/scared to speak up as it often happens in such a setup. There was some talk of "we've not paid 50k to go slow" by the drunk chap which might have been a reference to the service bill but just guessing since some initial reports(Dainik Bhaskar) said that they 'd gone to Lucknow to get the car serviced.

But IMO this isn't a driving sense issue but more of a social sense where the concept of safety, responsibility and assessing the impact of your actions on others(including your friends and passengers) has to be considered. All this and more results in the lack of driving sense which is a subset of the lack of civic sense and lack of respect for rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The BMW-truck accident appears to have happened on a stretch of expressway where one carriageway was closed due to flooding, and traffic in both directions was sharing the remaining carriageway.
This is quite common, also happens during repairs and honestly has scared the daylights out of me especially when the traffic is sparse and I had to drive on the only remaining lane, against traffic. This seems like standard practice on our highways.

If MoRTH is listening this needs a change in how NHAI/contractors form a diversion instead of just directing vehicles to share the same lanes.
What is really scary is that the drivers on the side which doesn't have a diversion have no clue of this until they see a vehicle approaching head on.

I hope this change will meet the same enthusiasm and action as the 6 airbags and rear seatbelts issues. I also sincerely hope that the erring officials and contractors will be fined and face action on like we do.

Last edited by shancz : 17th October 2022 at 17:05. Reason: cmpt
shancz is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 17:26   #36587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Moving on to one that I saw being cleaned up yesterday:

MSRTC Shivshahi bus encountered brake failure and crashed into 7 vehicles before screeching to a halt near Chandani Chowk, Pune. I crossed the accident spot on the other side of the highway when this was being cleaned up. Brake failure seemed to me the most likely cause to me too when I looked at the wreckage.
On a lighter note, looks like the bus driver had a gripe against MSIL cars, all cars in the crash are from the MSIL stable and different ones at that!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 18:31   #36588
BANNED

It is always a sensible idea to have a sane man behind the wheel, it doesn't matter what the guy seated next to me is speaking or thinking about my driving skills - I am behind the wheel and I am the one responsible for where we reach - the intended destination or the final destination.

I too have such incidents to share but not just me, even my friends are also kinda low on courage when it comes to doing foolishness on the roads; recently an acquaintance was showing off the performance of his Creta 1.4, initially I asked him to slow down, then I sat silently for a while, suddenly kept my hand on my mouth and made a gesture to stop, which he did. you request anyone to slow down, they won't, you ask for a nature's call stop - again they won't; try this "I am gonna vomit" gesture and they immediately stop the car - it always works.

Once I was out of the car, it was clear that either I am taking a bus back or I am driving the car - case sorted and I am alive to share this incident. If the driver is doing foolishness on the road, make a scene in the car - if he won't slow down to 100 kph, he certainly won't maintain 150+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
On a lighter note, looks like the bus driver had a gripe against MSIL cars, all cars in the crash are from the MSIL stable and different ones at that!
He simply chose the crumple zones to crash into so that the bus comes to a safer stop.

Last edited by VKumar : 17th October 2022 at 18:34.
VKumar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 18:46   #36589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
If MoRTH is listening this needs a change in how NHAI/contractors form a diversion instead of just directing vehicles to share the same lanes.
What is really scary is that the drivers on the side which doesn't have a diversion have no clue of this until they see a vehicle approaching head on.
Looking back on my days of driving in GB, they feel like being completely nannied! This stuff would never happen there. If a lane is blocked, or there are people working on it, they will try to leave an empty lane, and everything is controlled by a million traffic cones. Same with traffic diverted onto the wrong carriage way. It is going to be coned and signed, and probably floodlit at night, like the world is ending. In fact they overdo it! Sometimes all the signage is so distracting that it itself becomes dangerous.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 19:01   #36590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I am unable to fathom the monkey antics by the occupants of this vehicle. First, it’s evident, the driver is not someone with any reasonable experience or was inebriated. While vehicle malfunction cannot be ruled out, it seems more like a panic reaction from a useless driver considering there was no emergency around him. Second what were the occupants doing running out of the car on to the middle of the highway. Are they out of their mind? IMHO a lot of people need to be thanking their stars there was no other traffic in the vicinity. Imagine what could have happened if the vehicle jumped the median or if the fools running out of the car came under the wheels of a heavy vehicle.
SR-71 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 19:12   #36591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I am unable to fathom the monkey antics by the occupants of this vehicle.
Vehicle malfunction can be 99% ruled out. The driver simply didn't steer in the right direction.

We don't know what was happening in the car: an argument? A fight? Someone grabbing the wheel? Something from which people would run away, seeing the consequences.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 19:56   #36592
BHPian

God, please save me from mobile addicts on the road!
Some of us will find car's fault, as it looks to be at a high speed; but what was this guy doing!?

Found another interesting one, sorry to say, but I would have rammed his scooter when he was intentionally blocking the path in the end.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 17th October 2022 at 20:24.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 20:37   #36593
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
On the BMW accident on Purvanchal highway, I wonder what kind of doctor in his 30's will do such stupid things (or encourage his friends to do such acts). The person encouraging the driver to reach 300kmph is clearly not an engineer as he had zero understanding of machines or physics in general.
You have to correct your expectations about professionals and your perception about society in general.
Every facet of human endeavor or human occupation follows a 'bell curve'. The majority will be 'average' in their intelligence/expertise, a small minority will be excellent and another small minority will be total idiots.

That applies to every profession, do you think there aren't crap doctors and crap engineers (who must have gained their 'seats' through payment/reservation, and hence had total lack of respect for the 'eligibility' to be doctor/engineer and barely scored 39/100 marks when passing out) who are happily treating patients or building bridges/apartments/software/machine-parts , all over the world ? They are definitely there. I know of chain smoking doctors and software professionals who are poor in 'logic'. What does that mean ?

Just by being in a profession doesn't confer 'common sense' or 'wisdom'. Please remove this association from your mind.

Last edited by venkyhere : 17th October 2022 at 20:50.
venkyhere is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 22:42   #36594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Found another interesting one, sorry to say, but I would have rammed his scooter when he was intentionally blocking the path in the end.

Indian motorists are ever ready to throw hands and that's why I keep a pepper spray with me whenever I drive. Earlier I used to keep my riding gloves in the door pocket when I was foolish enough to be prepared for a fight.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20221017_223302.jpg

While I still get frustrated facing such idiots while driving, violence is just not worth it. Nobody knows when things can go from bad to worse.
Get a dashcam, pepper spray and say no to road rage.

PS - Sometimes I binge watch this YouTube channel, it has an endless collection of mindless people having access to vehicles.
Yash390 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 06:57   #36595
Distinguished - BHPian

Stupidity levels people cross to gain some bragging rights, although this one had more than that.

Posting here but can be moved to funny incidents thread.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 07:27   #36596
BHPian

How many of you think this is a staged accident?

For me, the helmet of the scooty rider gave the hint.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 09:09   #36597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Once I was out of the car, it was clear that either I am taking a bus back or I am driving the car - case sorted and I am alive to share this incident. If the driver is doing foolishness on the road, make a scene in the car - if he won't slow down to 100 kph, he certainly won't maintain 150+.
I have mostly driven safe through my 13 years of driving. There is just a one odd incident of a near miss Or panic braking. Never drove to show-off. But used to drive faster - not sedate. However, there was one day (about 8 years ago) when returning from a wedding, I was driving my colleagues back home. I was somehow pumped up in my Punto and was zooming past the few vehicles on the empty roads. Then I committed to a pass from the left. Entirely unnecessary. I wouldn't do it in general even in those days and never do it now. But, that was just that bad day when I did it. I pulled it through without drama.

Then, my colleague blasted me. Said that what I did was entirely unnecessary. And, dangerous. I couldn't understand, then. In the hindsight, I do. In fact, within a year or two after that incident, I had turned a sedate driver.

It takes a lot to speak up in such instances. I am thankful my colleague did. And, that you did.

At the same time, now I plainly refuse to overtake from left (not the same as passing), or use the shoulder to overtake, even when some co-passengers ask me to. Or do some other stupid stuff which I would not want the other person to do - like cutting lanes, blocking a turn, drive on wrong side, etc.
theabstractmind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 09:46   #36598
BHPian

Re: BMW crash at 230 kms killing all 4 occupants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Recently our transport minister said you will be
able to drive from Bengaluru to Bombay in 5 hours when the new expressway is built.

Hope no one tries once it's done.

There is absolutely no enforcement of speed limits on our highways. It's present in some form within our cities.
Have not broken speed limits across highways many times so speaking from limited experience here.

The Mumbai Pune Expressway has reasonably good enforcement of speed limit with instant fine of Rs 1,000 sent via sms and app notification. Have received one fine already and know many friends who have received it too. Since the fine amount is high and is well enforced (they send legal notices etc if not paid) the drivers who frequent this highway are quite cautious.

Hope other highways also follow such practices to spread the message of hefty fines and enforcement to reduce such instances of rash and negligent driving practices.
Old 18th October 2022, 10:00   #36599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Stupidity levels people cross to gain some bragging rights, although this one had more than that.

Posting here but can be moved to funny incidents thread.
Its GIRLS....GIRLS were the reason for this accident
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 10:05   #36600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Its GIRLS....GIRLS were the reason for this accident
Ya, and he ended up with more than just bruised ego. His backside bore the burnt of the stunt.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks