Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 13:57   #36616
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Why blame the manufacturers, when the same Cars are speeding on the such high speed on Autobahns in Germany and do not cause accidents ?
That isn't true. Accidents do happen and involved cars get smashed to smithereens at those speeds. Their accident rates are low - that's it.
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 13:59   #36617
BHPian

Re: BMW crash at 230 kms killing all 4 occupants

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The expressway seemed to be relatively empty and they were in fact driving in the fast lane. How did the Container truck reach the fast lane where they are absolutely not allowed to drive. Don't know on the Purvanchal expressway but on MPEW and Yamuna, it is not allowed.
Reportedly, the truck was on the wrong side too. In U.P., wrong side driving is rampant, everywhere. Sometimes, even on Expressways. Unfortunately, it still remains uncontrolled. Also, a lot of people can be seen driving in Lucknow, especially on roads like Shaheed Path, looking on their mobile phones, WhatsApp messages, etc and also holding and talking on the handset itself (despite hands-free being available in most cars these days). It has become a menace.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 14:42   #36618
BHPian

Quote:
Why blame the manufacturers, when the same Cars are speeding on the such high speed on Autobahns in Germany and do not cause accidents ?
In USA, people are fascinated with Muscle Cars, although speed limits are considerably low and strictly enforced.
Why not? The countries are different with different requirements and environment for automobiles plus we have a reasonable speed specified as speed limit. They can electronically limit the speed. As I said earlier people will find a way to overcome this but then I have suggested no insurance of any type. And if it found that it is tempered with then have a very strict punishment for the person and also the technician who did it.

Having a car with higher speed doesn't give license to break the speed limits (read law)
Slowjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 15:31   #36619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
You have to correct your expectations about professionals and your perception about society in general.
Every facet of human endeavor or human occupation follows a 'bell curve'. The majority will be 'average' in their intelligence/expertise, a small minority will be excellent and another small minority will be total idiots.
Agree to this 100%, I just wrote it out of frustration I guess and it wasn't targeted on a specific profession. My reference was just about the fact that they all were educated and could have used better sense. When a person is in his 30s, has responsibilities and has kids and has seen enough things going wrong in the world, one tends to become extra cautious and puts his knowledge to best use. I saw this sense lacking in the occupants of the car.

I do a lot of road trips with my friends and do lot of fun, but it is always out of the car. I too 'lose' myself when I am with my friends, but at such times the car is resting peacefully. The world is full of temptations, the assumption is that the educated and wise will know which one to give in and where.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 15:37   #36620

Quote:
The expressway seemed to be relatively empty and they were in fact driving in the fast lane. How did the Container truck reach the fast lane where they are absolutely not allowed to drive.
Likely a diversion because of maintenance work underway. I have seen this happen - with poor signage around carriageway lanes.
Old 18th October 2022, 15:39   #36621

Quote:
It is confirmed that they were overspeeding and crashed into a container truck, case has been registered against the truck driver. Also threat of cases against Road maintenance officials. What pathetic laws.
In my opinion, the accident may be considered as 'Suicide' and all Insurance payments be stopped to the beneficiaries.
As per media reports they were streaming this whole speeding thing on facebook live and police has registered a case against the truck driver who, probably, lost his job due to these idiots. Such is the law of land.
Old 18th October 2022, 16:02   #36622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowjet View Post
Why not? The countries are different with different requirements and environment for automobiles plus we have a reasonable speed specified as speed limit. They can electronically limit the speed. As I said earlier people will find a way to overcome this but then I have suggested no insurance of any type. And if it found that it is tempered with then have a very strict punishment for the person and also the technician who did it.

Having a car with higher speed doesn't give license to break the speed limits (read law)
In someone sense is this not akin to blaming the knife manufacturer for a murder? And this argument can be extended to the point that we should not have private transport as this would solve a lot of issues.

While there is that much you can do to police, ultimately the question is, is it practical and will it solve the problem. Think about someone crawling at 20km an hour on an expressway on the fast lane, because their lorry does not have enough power to pull the permitted load.

I guess the point is a uni dimensional approach will not solve anything. Road safety is also about road sense, common sense, corruption, lack of infrastructure. But given that all this brought to a fore only when someone lacking common sense crashes their expensive car and for the rest of the time we do ignore, the signal jumping, driving up the wrong side, parking in dangerous spots, cannot feel that nothing is going to change.
Caramba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 16:41   #36623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
How on earth can a Doctor do that? His profession was to save people's lives! This is unbelievable. That's why controlling speed and road safety education in school should be the topmost priority. Simply clapping and praising 5-star rated cars doesn't change a damn thing on Indian roads.
Even Cyrus Mistry's car was driven by very famous doctor Anahita Pandole.
X-Saint is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 16:43   #36624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Reportedly, the truck was on the wrong side too. In U.P., wrong side driving is rampant, everywhere. Sometimes, even on Expressways. Unfortunately, it still remains uncontrolled. Also, a lot of people can be seen driving in Lucknow, especially on roads like Shaheed Path, looking on their mobile phones, WhatsApp messages, etc and also holding and talking on the handset itself (despite hands-free being available in most cars these days). It has become a menace.
Thanks for the update. The truck driver was not a "poor fellow". He was driving on the wrong side, in the fast lane, on an expressway. He should be charged with murder. This has to happen or they will never learn.

Actually I forgot about the wrong side drivers since I haven't driven in UP for years but now that I remember, this is quite common. Tractors, trucks, driving in the fast lane on the wrong side. I experienced it on NHs but didn't know it happened on E-ways too.

FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneasyrider View Post
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Jassi View Post
---

Last edited by antz.bin : 18th October 2022 at 16:46. Reason: Added FYI
Old 18th October 2022, 16:53   #36625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Saint View Post
Even Cyrus Mistry's car was driven by very famous doctor Anahita Pandole.
Cyrus was on the Rear Seat. He passed away in the accident. His family must have received millions in insurance. Much before that, common man seated on rear seat, started paying fine for not using seat belt.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 16:56   #36626
BHPian

I mentioned sometime back that we as a society are entering another inflection point. The first one being when Pulsars were introduced.
We do not know what to do with these cars. Whole system needs an upgrade, from mindset to infrastructure.

Here is an example from Hyderabad, where there is ORR, one of the best roads in India.

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I saw a warning on the display shown in the image.

It read: Drive Slow, Vehicle Breakdown Ahead Lane 4 Closed.

As usual, I was at 100 km/hr.

I had to take the exit on the left I slowed down and moved left.
There it was, a truck had broken down just before the exit. I may have been in some trouble as the left two lanes have 80 km/h limit and I am usually right on target when I approach that exit.
That day, I was pre warned and slow. I was about to enter the left most lane from behind a truck when I saw the broken down truck blocking the full lane. I moved back to lane two and then took the turn.

This is what we need. Had this been on the highway where the BMW crashed, some lives could be saved.

Forget about these displays, some illuminated barriers/reflecters 500 meters behind the spot which was under repair could have saved the speedsters.

By the way, ORR is indeed a driver's paradise, especially during monsoon.
Thanks to Hyderabad/Cyberabad Police for keeping it safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20221018_162239.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20221018_162208.jpg  

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 18th October 2022 at 17:05.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 17:24   #36627
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I saw a warning on the display shown in the image.

It read: Drive Slow, Vehicle Breakdown Ahead Lane 4 Closed.

As usual, I was at 100 km/hr.

I had to take the exit on the left I slowed down and moved left.
One small suggestion please. The right most lane is for overtaking only. Your normal cruising should be in the middle lane/s. It’s possible your picture is from when you may have just finished an overtake and were going to move back to one of the middle lanes but just saying this for information to anyone who may not be aware.

At least here on Bombay Pune expressway far too many drivers cruise permanently in the right most lane - a hazard in its own right.
Axe77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 17:35   #36628

Quote:
Thanks for the update. The truck driver was not a "poor fellow". He was driving on the wrong side, in the fast lane, on an expressway. He should be charged with murder. This has to happen or they will never learn
He was not driving on the wrong side, one side of the road was closed and the traffic was diverted to the other side.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...429-2022-10-17

It was the unreasonable speed and lack of common sense that caused the accident and destroyed 4+1 families.
Old 18th October 2022, 17:48   #36629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
One small suggestion please. The right most lane is for overtaking only. Your normal cruising should be in the middle lane/s. It’s possible your picture is from when you may have just finished an overtake and were going to move back to one of the middle lanes but just saying this for information to anyone who may not be aware.

At least here on Bombay Pune expressway far too many drivers cruise permanently in the right most lane - a hazard in its own right.
This expressway could be different. All four lanes have max speed marked: Right two are at 100 and left two are at 80 km/h.
As I am already at 100, there is no point someone can overtake me without breaking that rule.
I myself face many commuters who are at 70 or 80 in the rightmost lane and I myself get agitated and pass them from left.
The same problem is with the second lane. Cars moving at 70 or 80 crawl in that lane and if I am in the second lane, driving smoothly in that lane at 100 km/hr is impossible.
The best case happens when I am at 100 and meets someone at 95 in that lane. In this situation, I donot return to the right most lane until someone blocks me on the second lane.

I just reviewed the 3 min video I downloaded from the dash cam. No one overtook me from left and I had to overtake a slow car from the left.

Someone well versed with the ORR rules may pitch in if my approach is wrong.
Attached Images

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:30   #36630
BHPian

Found the rule, sorry for repeat posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_2022_1018_182943.jpg  

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed