Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2022, 15:33   #36721
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
I do agree with this.

But I have to highlight a rather irritating & dangerous behavior I have noticed on Indian roads, both in the city and on the highway. Consider this scenario. When trying to change lanes to overtake a slower vehicle in front me, I have seen cars behind me accelerate that much harder to just not allow me to do my pass of the vehicle in front of me.
Totally agreed. This behavior has spread like a pandemic especially in Bombay. In a way, it has compelled some of us to merge into lane without giving indicator It doesn't feel right. But seriously, playing chicken game on the roads feels more dangerous.

Last edited by Gotham_City : 28th October 2022 at 15:40.
Gotham_City is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 16:24   #36722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
With such fast moving traffic, there is no way the driver can judge traffic in both the directions. He has to protrude dangerously to slow down traffic before moving further.
Yes, there is a way. This type of crossroads can probably be found all over the world, and yes, people manage. Basic driving skill.

Things can go wrong. As per a previous accident, with the biker, one thing is that the crossing car has no right to expect that others will give way. Certainly they should not act as if they will and cross, regardless.

Another thing is not to dither. During my learning days, I was a ditherer. My instructor told me: "When it's safe to go, go. Don't dither."
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 16:26   #36723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How to cross this road?

My suggestion would be to either close this road or put barricades such that traffic slows down while approaching this intersection. The zebra crossing is no deterrent either.

With such fast moving traffic, there is no way the driver can judge traffic in both the directions. He has to protrude dangerously to slow down traffic before moving further.

The reason why this CCTV is facing that direction is understandable.
Yeah, that is one scary intersection and i would hate to be the one who has to cross the road everyday. My paranoid self would go left and find a place to take a u turn and get back safely
deathwalkr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 17:29   #36724
BHPian

Quote:
How to cross this road?

My suggestion would be to either close this road or put barricades such that traffic slows down while approaching this intersection. The zebra crossing is no deterrent either.

The reason why this CCTV is facing that direction is understandable.
The speed at which the vehicles are moving in that road, one would need a lot of luck as well to cross safely.

The red car which crossed initially did it wrong by driving on the opposite lane. But this is typically how people cross roads. The grey swift which met with accident was doing it right, just had to wait for some more time for the truck to pass. Maybe there was another vehicle in the opposite lane approaching which caused the driver to move ahead.
Patience is the key, the driver had to wait till both the sides are clear. It is difficult but not impossible and definitely better than the current outcome.
Meph1st0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 17:32   #36725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
My paranoid self would go left and find a place to take a u turn and get back safely
That's exactly what i would do as well. It is better to just check one side of the traffic, merge with it and take a U wherever there is a proper U turn possible than cutting across this intersection.

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 19:16   #36726
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This diagram is a scene from my daily commute. This is the way we indians 'give space' for a turning vehicle. See space ? occupy space - that's our mantra. This is how 80% of gridlocks are formed. You can imagine what happens in the next two pics, once the blue truck has fully turned into the narrow road.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-how-indians-wait-long-vehicle-turn.png  

Last edited by venkyhere : 28th October 2022 at 19:28.
venkyhere is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 20:09   #36727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
This diagram is a scene from my daily commute. This is the way we indians 'give space' for a turning vehicle. See space ? occupy space - that's our mantra. This is how 80% of gridlocks are formed. You can imagine what happens in the next two pics, once the blue truck has fully turned into the narrow road.
If one is at a railway crossing, this gets even more exciting.

Both the sides of the road are completely packed. Once the train passes, the tracks are used to converge into the lanes on the opposite direction. Its a site to relish upon. Cannot happen anywhere else in the world.

An example:

In this one, we have traffic on the tracks!

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 00:05   #36728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The biker's only option was to brake and hope, because swerving either left or right (esp. right into oncoming traffic) could've ended horribly. To be fair, he doesn't appear to brake at all.

Still, if you're willingly giving someone a 'brake and hope' chance of not hitting you, you aren't a good driver irrespective of how things end. I doubt the car driver would've pulled that move in front of a large vehicle.

Statutory sermon: Indicators don't give one right of way!
Agree, this is the right way to execute a turn across an oncoming traffic. However, am surprised nobody has suggested that the roadway design itself is prompting these dangerous maneuvers.

Why not designated turn-off points and turning lanes which will allow vehicles to safely stop till oncoming traffic is clear, and not impede through traffic behind them.
Name:  turninglane.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  37.5 KB
Picture courtesy.

And then cameras + fines for people who still drive recklessly.
dust-n-bones is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 00:16   #36729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post

Why not designated turn-off points and turning lanes which will allow vehicles to safely stop till oncoming traffic is clear, and not impede through traffic behind them...
Good point in general, safer the roads the better, but not every road can be made for free-flowing traffic all the time. Even in developed countries, B & C roads are often undivided two lanes, and it's common practice to wait for turning or merging traffic.

All that of course needs patience and civic sense, attributes a majority of Indian motorists wouldn't recognise if they crashed into them head-on.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th October 2022 at 00:19.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 05:52   #36730
BHPian

Indian Roads can be constructed to Western standards, but mentality of the road users cannot be changed. Whatever improvements Government may do to the roads, unless the drivers improve their habits, it would all be a waste.
Amrik Singh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 06:25   #36731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Consider this scenario. When trying to change lanes to overtake a slower vehicle in front me, I have seen cars behind me accelerate that much harder to just not allow me to do my pass of the vehicle in front of me.
This is indeed a frustrating situation, where you remain stuck behind a slow moving vehicle on the left lane, with vehicles coming up behind you on the right lane refuse to allow you to move into the right lane and overtake the slow vehicle on the left lane.

However, I often experience a some what different and even more irritating scenario. Imagine on a 4 lane highway, two trucks/buses are moving in the same direction side by side, occupying both lanes in one direction. The truck on the left lane is slower and the truck on the right (fast) lane is in the process of overtaking and moving past it. I am behind the truck on the right (fast) lane.

Suddenly, someone comes up in the left lane behind the slower moving truck, flashes his indicators to turn right into the lane I am in and honks too, and tries to squeeze in - aggressively - between me and the truck in front, that too from the left side!

This happens almost every time I am on the highway on a long trip. I have lost count of idiots on the road.
sparameswaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 06:28   #36732
BHPian

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/ras...w/95153444.cms

No questions asked but Section 279, Rash Driving was the first section that would be added to other sections, in any type of accident.
Old 29th October 2022, 13:13   #36733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Indian Roads can be constructed to Western standards, but mentality of the road users cannot be changed. Whatever improvements Government may do to the roads, unless the drivers improve their habits, it would all be a waste.
Agreed that Indian drivers have generally low technical skills (how to stay in lanes, as an example).

We however overestimate importance of such technical skills and underestimate the cultural aspect of driving as social behavior. This is how the same Indians suddenly turn into rule abiding citizens in more developed countries.

What helps this transition is a) we see infrastructure that is safe by design, b) we implicitly follow norms we see around us, and c) all this governed by a transparent system of fines for violators.

Good infra prompts better behavior. Have to disagree that its 'wasted' unless habits change first.
dust-n-bones is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 17:52   #36734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
This is indeed a frustrating situation, where you remain stuck behind a slow moving vehicle on the left lane, with vehicles coming up behind you on the right lane refuse to allow you to move into the right lane and overtake the slow vehicle on the left lane.
My take on this is that it’s a fair thing for them. It’s the responsibility of the driver changing the lanes to make sure to do so when it’s safe and not switch lanes when there is traffic in the merging lane. I have been in this situation enough times and wait till I get a clear passage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post

However, I often experience a some what different and even more irritating scenario. Imagine on a 4 lane highway, two trucks/buses are moving in the same direction side by side, occupying both lanes in one direction. The truck on the left lane is slower and the truck on the right (fast) lane is in the process of overtaking and moving past it. I am behind the truck on the right (fast) lane.

Suddenly, someone comes up in the left lane behind the slower moving truck, flashes his indicators to turn right into the lane I am in and honks too, and tries to squeeze in - aggressively - between me and the truck in front, that too from the left side!

This happens almost every time I am on the highway on a long trip. I have lost count of idiots on the road.
I have seen this far too many times and used to get agitated like crazy. Later on forced myself to think that may be they are on some emergency and let them pass. I still don’t give way once in a while in such circumstances though I don’t want to do that anymore.
sbkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 18:30   #36735
BHPian

Almost qualified to merit a post here -

https://twitter.com/DoctorAjayita/st...20zo_lC-VvSBhQ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks