Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2022, 09:34   #36751
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
Happened to witness the aftermath of a freak accident that happened this morning at Connaught place.
https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...d-2513747.html

Some more information regarding the accident has surfaced since, and what caught me by surprise was the police's response time, a full 45min after the accident happened. Imagine being trapped in mangled metal for 45 mins, sheesh, gives me the chills. Unfortunately, the article is still devoid of details and it's hard to come to a conclusion on the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
I don't think any similar car would have fared any better in such an impact, where it's being sandwiched between a curb and a battering ram that weighs almost 10 times as much. When it comes to crash worthiness, mass ratio and crash compatibility play a much bigger role than NCAP ratings.
10 times? Dude, try more like 20. Collision was with a Tata Marcopolo bus, and yes, I agree with you that NCAP ratings can only do so much, especially when either or both parties are on the other side of the law. Regardless, a supposedly premium hatchback should have fared better. Hitherto I believed the Baleno to be safe within city limit, but I'm not so sure about that anymore and being a fellow Baleno owner myself, I might not be able to comfortably drive this around anymore. Have made up my mind to replace it with a safer car soon.
MotoBlip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 12:14   #36752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
Witnessed this yesterday. Sudden turn by car, biker with too delayed a reaction, another completely avoidable fender bender. Minor injuries to the senior citizen.
https://Youtu.be/qMKhHmtqvdU
You turn when you see adequate space between vehicles, not turn and assume everyone else will automatically create the space. Though fault can be claimed to be on both sides, the car driver is certainly more responsible
bosem123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:43   #36753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless they we as strong as the front grill (or number plate) I doubt how they survived.
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:51   #36754
BHPian

Quote:
Happened to witness the aftermath of a freak accident that happened this morning at Connaught place.
Looks like a T-Bone and a rollover after that. In the mornings, when signal lights are not turned on, we have to Stop, Look and Go at every intersection as there is scope for incidents like these.

When we see incidents like this, a better rated car might have a better rate of survival, however, we are missing to include the trained driver in the scope before going for NCAP ratings.

A trained/skilled/defensive driver will anticipate and avoid being in situations like this, even if he is in a nano car or even if he/she is a pedestrian.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 2nd November 2022 at 11:54.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:18   #36755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
During our drive to Goa and return, saw four trucks met with accident on NH-52, Hubli - Karwar section.
This is the ghats after Yellapur I am guessing. Looks like brake failure is the cause in all cases. They ditch the truck on purpose before it gains more speed.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 22:00   #36756
BHPian

https://www.ndtv.com/pune-news/video..._lateststories

Just saw this news along with the video clip on NDTV.com.

Its a miraculous escape. How far from the concrete wall was the pillion lady's "helmetless" head?

If you observe frame by frame, the motorcycle has simply not noticed the car!

These kind of instances make driving a car on well built roads in India so dangerous!

Pune Bangalore road is an excellent example wherein the roads are of top notch quality, but you have enough 'heart in the mouth' moments every time you pass through intersections of a town / village.
Charioteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 22:14   #36757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Its unfortunate that the Brezza or the person in the cycle didn't even stop to see what happened. Hope the people in Yaris Survived.
No way I'm stopping and checking on the well-being of maniacs like that if they overtake me and end up crashing. It's just asking for trouble. I'd do exactly what the Brezza driver did here if I were in his position.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 22:21   #36758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charioteer View Post
https://www.ndtv.com/pune-news/video..._lateststories

Just saw this news along with the video clip on NDTV.com.
This is the worst road design I have ever seen. On top of that, the divider is missing in action after a point.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 22:25   #36759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charioteer View Post

If you observe frame by frame, the motorcycle has simply not noticed the car!

These kind of instances make driving a car on well built roads in India so dangerous!

Pune Bangalore road is an excellent example wherein the roads are of top notch quality, but you have enough 'heart in the mouth' moments every time you pass through intersections of a town / village.
Looks like they even had a baby with themselves . As for the woman banging her head on the road and getting back up i have two words internal injuries.

Even though biker is completely at fault in the above scenario, i am amazed that the car driver did not even slow down on a intersection and he had plenty of time to react.

It is not uncommon to see similar situations on six-lane highways where two-wheeler drivers, tractor trolleys, etc are oblivious to other users.

I don't whether i have shared this incident here or not, but some time back when i was travelling on NH34, i overtook a state bus and an intersection was coming up where i saw a e rickshaw on the other side of highway and naturally i lifted my foot off accelerator expecting some stupid move, so the guy took a U turn and toppled and i looked at my rear view mirror as i had overtook a bus which i did not see in RVM so i changed my lane and continued my journey.

Last edited by revvharder : 2nd November 2022 at 22:37.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 14:34   #36760
BHPian

Jeep compass driven by Kerala MP crashes behind a stationary truck.

News says the MP has only minor injuries.
Old 3rd November 2022, 20:39   #36761
BHPian

How safe is a sunroof in case of a shattering incident?

I think we should treat it as strong as any glass surface. Which means that if a car turns turtle, or something drops at high speed on a highway from the top, it is going to lead to a potentially dangerous situation.

While other glass surfaces like windows are vertical (they will collapse down and not on you), sunroof is going to collapse on you - as also allow things like gravel and stone to come at you like shrapnel if this happens at high speed.

What do the esteemed members think?
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 21:01   #36762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Early sunroofs were not glass, they were metal, and painted to match the body.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:17   #36763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

What do the esteemed members think?
It is as safe as any other glass pane. Even the side glass if struck by an object still end up flying inwards towards the respective seat and not just collapse straight into the door. I have experienced this when an oncoming vehicle struck my car mirror and that then broke the glass. I had glass all over the driver footwell and seat. This was in spite of having sun film on the glass. Only around half of the glass remained intact and the rest shattered.

The sun roof will be no different. However you should take each scenario separately and consider the consequences. In case of a roll over, the moment of impact will be when the car is upside down and that will throw the glass pieces outside the car. In case of a foreign object breaking the glass, then it will land all over the cabin depending on the area of the sun roof. However the glass being tempered glass creates smaller pieces which are also relatively not so sharp to cause severe injuries. However there will be some bruises and cuts to be expected if there is a multi impact collision.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 23:55   #36764
BHPian

Quote:

I think we should treat it as strong as any glass surface. Which means that if a car turns turtle, or something drops at high speed on a highway from the top, it is going to lead to a potentially dangerous situation.
The biggest concern with sunroofs has been the spontaneous shattering similar to the one mentioned in the shared video. There have also been numerous class action lawsuits in the US against major automobile manufacturers in regard to this spontaneous shattering as some instances have led to minor injuries. However, most of these lawsuits haven't gone too far as it's difficult to produce evidence to pinpoint the real cause behind the shattering.

In response, some manufacturers have started using laminated glass for sunroofs and panoramic roofs as it's harder to break and is less likely to hurt the occupants as the film holds the glass pieces together.

Although it cannot be ruled out, I haven't come across any incidence where objects have pierced through the sunroof and injured the occupants while the vehicle was traveling or rolling over. The safest option to save oneself from these rarest of scenarios would be to buy a car without a sunroof.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th November 2022 at 12:12. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Rohan265 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 09:33   #36765
BHPian

A Father and his son died after their car veered out of control and fell into a well at Nellikunnu in Kannur. Looks like the father was teaching son how to drive.

News here
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1image.jpg  

Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks