Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 10:10   #36811
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
it truly is amazing what a few leds, features and a bunch of predictable creases in the body work can do for a car company. Even on our forum there exists a thread about scary downright dangerous brake failures in the Hyundai Creta yet the company seems to have taken no hit to their public image quite impressive and scary I must say
I totally get that, when I bought S-cross last year, most people who have very limited knowledge of cars asked me, why not Creta or Seltos? They also asked about features and stuff. Every thing else is secondary for them over features and looks.

They don't understand much about a well put together car and if features are there, that's all they brag about. Not that features aren't good, but not above the basic things a car needs to do. Better safety - good brakes, mechanically well put together, niggle free etc.
Beingtraveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 10:12   #36812
Senior - BHPian

By Part-9 or Part-10 that tree would have become a social media legend!

The Gentleman in part-2 is standing as if 'Had a boring zoom call, let me come out watch the usual crash-bang opposite my home'!
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 10:17   #36813
Senior - BHPian

^^ The municipality, by allowing that tree to exist, is taking the policy of green city to the extreme. That tree should be removed, it is leaning too much into the carriage way.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 11:48   #36814
BHPian

Hello BHPians, I wanted to share my 2 cents here. I read my fellow mates stating cars as tin cans and such. But, I honestly feel worried about this trend. And I am willing to go a little on a harder tone with my argument. With this emphasis on a strong steel body, NCAP ratings, etc., we people are not focussing on the most essential factor for a safer drive. It is Accident preventing systems, educated drivers, and better infra to support all these. All the build quality, features, etc., come into the picture only after the accident.

Some accident-related quotes, headlines, and excuses go like: "I agree, I was a bit on the faster side"; "The bus was overspeeding"; "The lorry came on the wrong side"; "Biker fell down due to pot-holes"; "Car skidding off the road due to hard braking" etc. The question should be why did the accident happen in the first place and not praising the build quality of cars for protecting drivers and passengers or blaming them right away for a mishap.

The government is thinking of making 6 airbags mandatory....... but why? Why not systems like ESP, Traction control, ADAS, etc, (they are an optional extra in most cars who are willing to pay. Is safety even a luxury?). These systems are known to avoid accidents occurring in the first place. Why don't we emphasize having those in all our cars, like European ones?

Educating drivers is super essential. The common scenes on Indian roads are, driving on the wrong side, using high beams as standard (excuse they say, Oh! I can't see the road properly!), the recent trend of using white LEDs (a disaster in the making for fog conditions), overspeeding because no one is watching them, and admit it the majority of us got our driving license without much of a fuss. Had our road tests been like those in the UK etc most of the early drivers won't have licenses. There is no proper patrolling or checking (corruption, Of course!).

Good infrastructure. Many times it's the roads that lead to accidents. potholes, lack of lighting, less to nil indications on road, people ignorant of traffic rules, construction of buildings creating blind spots, inferior road manufacturing practices, etc.

So, guys, I wanted to leave just these thoughts (in the corner of your minds, take your time but do give a thought) to my fellow BHPians and readers. I guess it's that time when we must stop focusing on issues from manufacturers or other external factors. But question our role in the accident and how we can prevent it! If we start to think and take initiative by sharing with ignorant people around us, slowly but steadily our Indian roads will definitely see the change we all want and wish for.

I am genuinely open to your thoughts and I never intended to hurt anybody directly or indirectly here. But some things have to be said in the right tone to get the point delivered.

Thanks for reading. Happy and safe motoring.
PetroHeado is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 12:07   #36815
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, it is from the initial CKD batch. We booked it in January 2010 and received it in April 2010.
The reason I asked you this is the first lot of cars is heavier, thick sheet metal, solid door closing. Once CKDs were done the later cars had shaved off a good 220 kg.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th November 2022 at 14:55. Reason: Fixing quote tag
RunGaDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 12:42   #36816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroHeado View Post
The question should be why did the accident happen in the first place and not praising the build quality of cars for protecting drivers and passengers or blaming them right away for a mishap.
You can only control the 50% of the situation by adopting the extremely defensive driving style, rest 50% is still in the hands of others. I find it a rare sighting these days to spot drivers who are either not busy with their mobile phones or fiddling with the 'electronic features' in their vehicles while driving. And the situation is getting scarier day by day.

Govt., which is nothing more than a puppet in the hands of big industrialists is allowing all this because once everyone will turn into dumb enough and not capable of driving, the car companies owned by the feeding industrialists will disruptively attack the market with their self-driving cars at the increased price point.

Its same like how they first allowed to degrade the environment by allowing their industrialist friends to all the misdeeds to kill it, now they have started disrupting the car market by selling the use-and-throw electric vehicles in the name of saving the environment. But do you really think this step will improvement the state of the environment, especially when the electricity is being made of the dirty coal causing pollution somewhere else? Well, they will not let you see, because they are seeing more opportunity of making cash by selling more electricity at much higher price in near future.

And what about dumping the batteries, have you ever seen the tire dump-yard? If not then Google the photos of it and imagine the battery dump-yard with the batteries containing much more harmful chemicals, forget about the mining of rare earth materials for which all the wars and political instabilities are going on these days.

The whole chronology is just about the business and money. More problems bring more opportunities of business so let the problems grow. Your or mine life has no value. So you have to be in a tank to have a tad better opportunity of survival.

Quote:
The government is thinking of making 6 airbags mandatory....... but why?
Business, it makes everyone happy, you know! Even the customers gets happy when they are buying more airbags in the name of safety. Advertising is so powerful that it has made people believe that airbags are more important than having a strong and crash-worthy bodyshell. Advertising has made LOreal a 16 thousand crore rupees company which is just selling few chemicals in the name of enhancing beauty.

Well, looks like my post has diverted into way too off-topic so resting it here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th November 2022 at 16:18. Reason: Edited
tbppjpr is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 13:33   #36817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
the car companies owned by the feeding industrialists will disruptively attack the market with their self-driving cars at the increased price point.
I don't understand, I always thought self driving will reduce the car ownership to greatly, I support self driving cars and I will never buy one. How will the industrialists gain from self driving cars when the car ownership itself falls by some 5 times(just my estimate)? Even if the price point is increased, it is Uber who buys them, since they don't pay the driver, the ride will be cheaper for me.

Off topic: Your hate towards EV has no reality, lead acid batteries are more harmful than Li ion batteries when dumped in landfills, yet nearly 100% are recycled, even the little lead acid battery in my scooter is returned to the battery shop, I did not throw them.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 15:17   #36818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
You can only control the 50% of the situation by adopting the extremely defensive driving style, rest 50% is still in the hands of others.
I indeed agree with this perspective. I am stating my point a bit more clearly here. Being in a solid-built car is genuinely important. I was only against the notion of terming low-budget cars as "Tin Cans". Now again I ain't any fanboy. I love cars for the fact that I just love them. (So that was off-topic.) But again reiterating my point of contention here: The blame game from an accident should not just rest on build quality, weight, or engineering of the car but also significantly on the factors (that are grossly overlooked) I pointed out in my previous post.

Defensive driving alone won't save you, and I completely agree with you here. And that was exactly my point. People are ignorant about driving rules, etc, etc. I just want sane fellow drivers who know the rules, to educate people around them. It's a small act but a big impact. If you can bring one person into the safe driving style and if everybody does their part in this regard, imagine how better the roads would be! (Ah! Heaven right there)

And I too resonate with your ideas on electric vehicles here. In fact, there is some news that materials used to make a battery are much more polluting than running a car on gas. Time only will answer how secure our future is with respect to the upcoming trends in electric cars. But that I guess is not a topic to be discussed on this page.

Overall the post was really insightful, especially that analogy of business marketing was amazing! Thanks for that, mate!

I am hoping to learn and share more here!

Have a good day!

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th November 2022 at 08:06. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion while replying,Thanks.
PetroHeado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 09:24   #36819
BHPian

Weather is good, I have a sunroof, let's enjoy my friend!

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 21:51   #36820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post

https://Youtu.be/WrFi3c3z1AE
This video needs to be included in teaching schedule of every class in every school.
NG_EV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 00:52   #36821
BHPian

What not to do while riding and how not to HELP an injured accident victim.

Mature audience should only watch. Scary accident.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 13th November 2022 at 00:54.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 07:38   #36822
BHPian

Quote:
With this emphasis on a strong steel body, NCAP ratings, etc.,
Unfortunately these tests only cover the car but do not cover the driver's ability, which helps him to prevent himself for being in tight situations or come out of a tight situation by having sufficient CAS ( Exit Route ).

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 13th November 2022 at 08:00. Reason: Added video links
chaitanyakrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 10:04   #36823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/WrFi3c3z1AE
Total idiots. Leave alone grown ups, this is why it is dangerous to allow kids to stand like this. A kid being short, can hurt his/her throat seriously.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 10:04   #36824
BHPian

Quote:
What not to do while riding and how not to HELP an injured accident victim.

Mature audience should only watch. Scary accident.
Motorcyclist is the one to blame himself and no one else. Blind overtaking, couldn't control the Bike, learnt a hard lesson. Hope he's ok without any major ailment. Guess, he suffered a neck injury. A stretcher or even a blanket would be ideal to help such accident victims, since the person has to reach the hospital in sleeping position. Making him to stand was wrong. But it all happened in seconds, so no one is prepared what to do or not.

Can't blame the Car Driver as he had very little time to brake, still the Girl got saved as it was an Audi. The Girl is brave enough to come out of shock and still run to help the accident victim.
jaaz is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 10:12   #36825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
The Girl is brave enough to come out of shock and still run to help the accident victim.
From what I see, girl came out of the shop and NOT from the car. The car driver has NOT come out BUT the co-passenger comes out slowly.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks