Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2022, 20:22   #36946
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Thankfully, my wife and I had no injuries. We were belted. The air bag didn’t deploy because the first impact was to the front right lamp assembly.
The most important thing - you and your wife are safe. This is one of those ugly unpredictableness of our roads showing it's face

But count your and your A6's blessings, this could have gone sideways in 9 different directions.

Curious though - if the father is so worried about his son's future, why the heck is he even allowing him to drive a vehicle without even a valid fitness/ 3rd party insurance? Is he at least compensating you?
ph03n!x is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 22:04   #36947
BHPian

Quote:
Breaking down after hearing about my intent to file an FIR for keeping an illegal car on the roads, he broke down and pleaded, given his sons education, passport, visa etc.. I finally took the choice to let go.
Wrong choice. By not filing an FIR you are encouraging such behaviour to not have third party insurance. What if instead of hitting your A6 he’d have killed a poor pedestrain who could be the sole breadwinner ? Who would have paid compensation in that case? The father fooled you. If an uninsured car has an accident the person named in the RC gets involved in the case not the driver.
StopUnderrides is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 22:26   #36948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
What if instead of hitting your A6 he’d have killed a poor pedestrain
What if scenarios are endless.
I think he took a good decision. Father's story could be a gimmick, but for FIR, the car would have to stay at PS for a week and other hassles.
Looking at the damage, it is better to solve things outside PS.
For the other part, just raising a complaint in the RTO against this vehicle will ensure that it doesn't burn any more rubber until it is deemed fit.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 10:56   #36949
BHPian

Quote:
Very close to home, there is a road around a tank bund, with lake on one side and barren ground on the other. It’s a very lovely curvy road and I’m about 1 minute to home. It’s an undivided two lane stretch on Kanakapura Main Road.
Really sorry for this harrowing experience. If I am understanding the turn of events correctly your car might have saved that boy's life? If not for your car he would have fell into onto the lake on the other side?

Also, is this near the kaglipura lank bund stretch? That section is too scary and asking for trouble.
TheRandomGuy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 11:09   #36950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The owner [...] broke down and pleaded, given his sons education, passport, visa etc.. I finally took the choice to let go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Well, can't say whether it was a right call for you to let the guilty go unpunished. Without any penalty such wrong doings are likely to be repeated.
I was thinking what I would do under such circumstances. Perhaps a self-determined, large enough to be a deterrent rupee amount to be donated into a reputed charity? Say in this case, "show me proof of deposit of Rs. 5 lakhs into PM-CARES or Karnataka CMRF within 1 hour or I register the FIR"?
binand is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 11:41   #36951
BHPian

Quote:
If there is one thread that I would never went to see my car pictures, it’s this one.
Thank god you and your wife are safe. Must be a harrowing experience. It’s difficult to even think straight during such ordeals, especially when one is at the receiving end for no fault of ours.
You not only saved the driver (20 year old kid?) from the crowd, but also showed great magnanimity in letting them go. We can just hope they learnt their lesson.
warrioraks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 12:20   #36952
BHPian

Quote:

The Innova doesn’t have a Fitness certificate (2007 model) and no insurance either. The owner, who is the father of the boy who drove the Innova reached the spot and the police station after 90 minutes of the accident. Breaking down after hearing about my intent to file an FIR for keeping an illegal car on the roads, he broke down and pleaded, given his sons education, passport, visa etc.. I finally took the choice to let go.
I'm not sure if it was the right decision to just let the person go without any consequences, but then again, I would concur that leaving your car in the police station is generally to be avoided.

I have seen loiterers around police stations steal tyres, ORVMs, windshield wipers etc from the cars that are parked there related to an accident. And there is no point arguing with the police, they'll just brush you off, or worse, make some snide personal comments about you fusisng about losing your car tyres when you could afford an Audi. Best to not trust others to take care of your car, especially when none of this was your fault.
Small Bot is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 12:26   #36953
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this Tata Punch today in the service road next to Agra Lake on ORR. It was very weird how this car was lying there with a broken wheel. The car was in the opposite direction of traffic and there was no vehicle apart from this car. The kerbstone by the side of the road was ripped off the kerb and the only way I can describe the crash is that the vehicle spun out of control, hit the kerb on the drivers side and rotated to the opposite direction.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5b662bd541d7444cb1e6236e1b52fae4.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-087128d32c544dd78179e1391d119c20.jpeg
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 12:50   #36954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Feel sorry for the damage to your car. But relieved that no bodily harm to any of you.

Well, can't say whether it was a right call for you to let the guilty go unpunished. Without any penalty such wrong doings are likely to be repeated. And one cannot always be lucky to escape with minor damages.

Take care.
As far as I'm concerned, it's not his responsibility to do the cops job for them. Let them file the FIR themselves for rash driving in a fitness expired car. All we should be concerned about is making sure our family is safe and getting a report for our insurance to ensure that our car is repaired back to factory standards at lowest cost to ourselves. Let the insurance company's lawyers go after them to recoup costs if they want. Why should we take time out of our busy days to do all this for no fault of our own?
Cresterk is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 13:03   #36955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
As far as I'm concerned, it's not his responsibility to do the cops job for them. Let them file the FIR themselves for rash driving in a fitness expired car.
This is a big problem with the system being complaint-based, rather than law-based. If an offence has been committed, the police should act, at least warning the offender, regardless of some other party complaining or not.

The only accident I had in UK in which police were involved, the other driver received a warning for driving without due care and attention. I had no say whatsoever in what they did or did not do. In fact I was quite surprised to get a letter saying that I was exonerated, but the other guy was "warned." (None the less, I certainly learned lessons from the event)

(And that's official. On record. Not just a stern word.)

(do they call it warned or cautioned? I forget. It was thirty years ago.)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 13:19   #36956
BHPian

Quote:
The Innova doesn’t have a Fitness certificate (2007 model) and no insurance either. The owner, who is the father of the boy who drove the Innova reached the spot and the police station after 90 minutes of the accident. Breaking down after hearing about my intent to file an FIR for keeping an illegal car on the roads, he broke down and pleaded, given his sons education, passport, visa etc.. I finally took the choice to let go
This incident must-have happened at Kaggalipura tank bund or Ravgodlu tank bund. I studied at Aps college on the same road and it was a daily affair seeing KL/TN vehicles crashing on the metal barrier and sometimes dropping into the lake below. I know emotions would be running high, for you seeing your expensive car damaged and for that rascal student who has the guts to drive like an idiot and trembling like an ass later without any idea of its consequences. Would have pursued it and made sure both father/son suffered. The father for handing over an irresponsible car to an irresponsible son and the son for rash driving.
100Kmphormore is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 14:06   #36957
BHPian

Another murder from Noida. A speeding Jaguar XKR(?) crashed into a scooter on Sunday morning, killing the rider on the spot. The driver has been arrested.

Name:  99ntliv_noidaaccident_625x300_06_December_22.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  38.9 KB

https://www.ndtv.com/noida-news/noid...cooter-3581237

Sadly, the road safety situation is not getting any better anywhere in the country. People are too eager to push the pedal to the metal and twist the throttle. An adrenaline rush has more value over human life in our country.
Yash390 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 14:21   #36958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The only accident I had in UK in which police were involved, the other driver received a warning for driving without due care and attention. I had no say whatsoever in what they did or did not do.
(

That is the way it should be. The police should be charging them based on the laws of the land violated, other citizens shouldn't be having a say in it. If it is up to the other party to decide, then why even have laws? The police don't try to make it anyone else' responsibility to decide whether we should be punished when they give us speeding tickets or for driving without a helmet, do they?

This whole system is pretty bad because it can also lead to extortion where one party demands massive amounts of cash to withhold from filing an FIR.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 14:44   #36959

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
A minor accident that took place today.
Everyone was safe; however, eager for fist fights, which were stopped by bystanders. The bus braked in time too.
I just hope the police look at such huge loads kept on the roofs of the buses as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus-roof.png  

ts75 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 15:32   #36960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
Another murder from Noida. A speeding Jaguar XKR(?) crashed into a scooter on Sunday morning, killing the rider on the spot. The driver has been arrested.
If one reads the full news, it is evident that the police have booked the errant bank employee for murder. He was rashly and negligently driving his car, abandoned it after killing the lady scooterist and fled, but was soon apprehended and arrested.

If all such criminal negligence cases causing loss of lives are booked as murder by the police, it can help check such fatal accidents.

I am not sure how such a police charge sheet nailing the criminal driver as guilty of murder will stand during trial before a magistrate's court. But if there are loopholes in the charge sheet found by the criminal driver's lawyer to argue and obtain his acquittal, it will be unfair and a travesty of justice, with the sole motive to free such criminals.

It's high time our laws were amended to book similar criminal drivers for murder when they kill someone on the road. This is a better way to get a call on road safety, rather than increase fines, where crooks end up bribing corrupt law enforcer-crooks to emerge unscathed.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th December 2022 at 15:47.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks