Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2022, 13:20   #36991
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Was at around hundred when I saw the cow. Had slowed down quite a bit - probably around 20 kmph when I did hit it.

My guess
Glad to know everyone was safe including the cow.

The speed at impact was definitely higher which would explain why the cow flew that far off. You were probably at about 60 kmph at impact. At 20, the cow would have just toppled in front of you.

Still, very happy that you didn't have to encounter a mob or the cops.
Old 11th December 2022, 15:58   #36992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
To the best of my knowledge, HCV have pneumatic brakes. If there is no air in system, the brakes would automatically be applied. And if there is sufficient pneumatic pressure, the brakes wont be applied. This is exactly opposite of system we have in passenger cars. So in the event of brake fail the pneumatic pressure in the system will be lost and automatically brakes would be applied. This pneumatic system is also the reason why HCV would have to run for around 10 mins or so in the morning to build up pressure in system after parking the vehicle overnight.

So how exactly can it fail ?
Brakes can overheat and fail,has nothing to do with pneumatic, hydraulic or a wire actuated system, but with the business end of the braking system. In a drum brake system the drum overheats, expands and moves away from the calipers. Causing the brakes to be less effective. Thus discs are better in this aspect. Folks from plains driving the hills can be easily smelt a mile away (the smell of a burnt clutch and brakes).
People who know how to drive, use engine braking while going down hill most of the time and drive across hairpin bends (kainchi mor) to conserve brakes.
regards kaps454
kaps454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:13   #36993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=q-iOIJozNuY

Khandala ghat: truck's brakes fail.
Whoever built those guardrails did a very good job considering it held the weight of a fully loaded truck. I really thought it would jump over to incoming traffic and obliterate those cars.
Cresterk is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 14:20   #36994
Distinguished - BHPian

Brakes can just simply wear out too. Seeing the condition of some truck tyres, it's doubtful anyone paid attention to the brake pads.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 22:44   #36995
BHPian

This is scary stuff. How many of us routinely do this drive.
The most notorious section of the highway. The “Missing Link” project should be helpful in avoiding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=q-iOIJozNuY

Khandala ghat: truck's brakes fail.
Agree. It’s equally challenging climb from other side and many vehicles break down there. Not much any car driver could’ve done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Whoever built those guardrails did a very good job considering it held the weight of a fully loaded truck. I really thought it would jump over to incoming traffic and obliterate those cars.
Hope it is restored back to strength to protect against future accidents.
Old 13th December 2022, 09:58   #36996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
To the best of my knowledge, HCV have pneumatic brakes. If there is no air in system, the brakes would automatically be applied. And if there is sufficient pneumatic pressure, the brakes wont be applied. This is exactly opposite of system we have in passenger cars. So in the event of brake fail the pneumatic pressure in the system will be lost and automatically brakes would be applied. This pneumatic system is also the reason why HCV would have to run for around 10 mins or so in the morning to build up pressure in system after parking the vehicle overnight.

So how exactly can it fail ?
You are right about the working of pneumatic system, but you are missing one big point. Brake Fade! It means due to continuous application of brakes, the temperature of brake pads increases to a level where there is no heat transfer possible between drum & brake pad. That's what happens with 90% of Truck's brake fail cases. During the steep slopes, if drivers applies brakes numerous times or continuously, brakes fade.
There are ways to not let this happen. Common practice in Indian trucks is Exhaust brakes. But in Europe or US, there is a device called Retarder fitted after gear box & before propeller shaft. This helps to reduce the load on the brake pads, increases their life & most importantly brake fading can be avoided.
speedguy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 21:13   #36997
Distinguished - BHPian

The first ever accident on the Samruddhi Mahamarg, super expressway connecting Nagpur to Mumbai, now ready upto Shirdi. It was inaugurated on 11/12/ 22.

Here we find a speeding Mercedes Benz car hitting a Maruti Swift at its rear. The Swift owner had halted to pay toll at the first toll plaza at Waifal, while moving westwards from Nagpur.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nagpur-city-line_20221213.jpeg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th December 2022 at 21:30.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 21:54   #36998
BHPian

Check this out, I'm at a loss for words. Honourable mention to the Chevrolet Beat driver doing that feat. Watch from 0:24

https://mobile.twitter.com/ndtv/stat...olice-video%2F

It just does not matter whether you -

1. Increase fines ten or even hundredfold
2. Launch safety awareness campaigns
3. Increase patrolling personnel

One thing that cannot be changed is the mindset of people. There is plenty of awareness raised and data published regularly advising people to not break rules. It is a mental issue at this point, nothing you say or do is going to change the safety culture in our country. Every rash driver knows the repercussions of their actions, yet they somehow lose all sense of rationality once they're at the helm of a vehicle.
Yash390 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 00:53   #36999
BHPian

Another overtaking gone wrong

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 02:26   #37000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I don't think "gone wrong" really describes this kind of accident, of which we see all too many. It is an overtake that never had any chance, outside of pure luck, of going right. An overtake that should never, ever have been attempted.

Judging by the moments that we see, the driver of that car was being completely reckless. Maybe for the last time ever: did he survive?

I do feel sorry for the truck driver, and hope he wasn't hurt.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 07:07   #37001
BHPian

Found this Pajero to have jumped the median on the NH44, just after Krishnagiri going towards Salem (our direction). This was on 9 Dec, 2022.

Not sure what transpired for the car to have jumped the median but thankfully, no other vehicles impacted.

This is the reason why I rarely stick to the fast lane while driving unless for overtakes or if due to road condition the slow lane isn’t proper.

Captured in my dashcam. Unfortunately my rear dashcam was angled incorrectly after the last vehicle service so don’t have the view from behind as we pass.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 15th December 2022 at 07:08.
krishnakumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 15:48   #37002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post

https://Youtu.be/bNVr6fFF5h4

This is the fundamental rule of overtaking - Do not overtake where there is no clear line of sight to what's coming next. e.g. curves, slope/inclines etc. I just hope the driver lives to apply his learning from this incident.
LordSharan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 16:01   #37003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Every vehicle should carry a red reflective triangle and it should be placed 200 metres ahead after an accident or breakdown. Still they have used age old method of using tree branches to warn, which is pretty useless in night. A man is seen standing on the highway and waving others to move away from the lane- a potentially dangerous situation for him.

Picture credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Attached Images

Arwin07 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 16:52   #37004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Still they have used age old method of using tree branches to warn, which is pretty useless in night. A man is seen standing on the highway and waving others to move away from the lane- a potentially dangerous situation for him.
I thought the same but realized those were the plants uprooted from the median which got stuck to the grill.

Needless to say, standing in the middle of a fast highway that too on a curve is just asking for trouble. I'm pretty sure the car is equipped with a warning cone, but alas, if only money could be buy common sense!

We didn't stop to check or advice because (a) I felt it was risky to stop on the flyover where there is no shoulder (b) we were on a schedule and headed to a function that was still 300km away.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 16:45   #37005
BHPian

In a freak accident near Thoothukudi, Tamilnadu , a motorcyclist got admitted with neck injury when he got caught in a rope hanging from a lorry carrying fertilizer. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

1. He didn't wear a helmet. Lucky he survived without a major head injury.

2. It's safe to pass heavy vehicles like lorry or bus leaving a safe distance of 4-6 feet in side while overtaking or crossing. So that even if there is a fall by accident, we don't get under the tyres.

3. Makes me think what could have been a small dent/scratch if a car was in that place compared to a neck injury in a motorcyclist. After realising how dangerous Indian roads are for motorcycles, I have recently bought a car.
Arwin07 is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks