Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2023, 14:49   #37321
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
It's absolutely unacceptable to stick your head out of sunroof/let your kids do it - but frankly, had they been on a bike, would the outcome have been any different?
That is the inherent risk of being exposed on a two wheeler; one is exposed to the elements, manja, falling coconuts, pebbles kicked up by tyres or blue metal dropping from a loaded fast moving truck in front of us and also to falling down on the road. Someone inside a car is protected from all these, unless they deliberately expose themselves.

Will we allow our kid to open a car window and stick his hand or head out while driving? Then why allow kids to open a window in the roof of the car and stick their head out? What is different with the latter? Call it what you will, it is nothing but a window in the roof of the car.
Gansan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 14:57   #37322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Will we allow our kid to open a car window and stick his hand or head out while driving? Then why allow kids to open a window in the roof of the car and stick their head out? What is different with the latter? Call it what you will, it is nothing but a window in the roof of the car.
Honestly, I'm not at all absolving the parent in this case, it's unacceptable. I absolutely agree with you. My point was purely that our health infra should be equipped to deal with such unfortunate incident as well. The kid doesn't deserve to die because of his idiotic parent. Or the scenarios you had mentioned above with respect to the bike.

PS: Whether the kid could have been saved is a different topic, as mentioned above.
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 22:18   #37323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Very well said. There's no better way to put it across than this.

As for the blame being put on the ambulance/doctors/Healthcare, I think that's quite unfair. It is near impossible to have full service tertiary care centres that could deal with such major injuries all across the highways.
That being said it's unfortunate and unacceptable that the child had to wait hours for an ambulance and timely medical help which could have saved that kids life.
Our govt Health centres could also definitely improve. Just building large highways with no improvement to existing health centres isn't helping those who need medical help on the highways.
mac13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 21:52   #37324
Senior - BHPian

https://twitter.com/CitizenKamran/st...mBsx2PgNg&s=19

Major accident on Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore:

A concrete mixer lorry lost control and fell on top of a car near Doddi in Balamara near Bannerghatta, killing mother and daughter.

Deceased were as Gayatri Kumar (47) & Samatha Kumar (16)
Lorry was coming at high speed at turn lost control and fell on top of the car
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:28   #37325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

As per newspapers, they are driving from Concorde Napa Valley on Kanakapura Road to Sherwood High School on Bannerghatta Road.
The Road goes through a forest and very curvy and due to less traffic, vehicles speed a lot.

Name:  curve.PNG
Views: 905
Size:  200.4 KB
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:09   #37326
BHPian

Terrible accident, 2 lives lost.

They were in Venue. A stronger built car might have increased the chance of survival or maybe not considering the weight of the lorry?
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:15   #37327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhokal View Post

They were in Venue. A stronger built car might have increased the chance of survival or maybe not considering the weight of the lorry?
I don't think any car could've taken the load of a concrete mixer falling on the roof. This is extremely unfortunate!
krishnakumar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:28   #37328
BHPian

Quote:
Why are we dragging this every now and then for certain cars? This is a huge concrete truck that's overspeeding tipping over on a car. Similar to or even heavier than boulders, for instance. Would you dissect Tata's build quality over this or Honda over this?

It's a heavy object multifolds heavier than the car coming at high velocity, the impact is going to be brutal, no matter which car it is. Plus, this is the roof of all parts. Absurd to discuss such "what ifs".

I hope the truck driver is caught though, truck drivers who drive like maniacs are increasing by the day. I myself have had some close shaves with trucks. Just a really sad.
epiccross is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:40   #37329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Why are we dragging this every now and then for certain cars?
I understand that's it's unfair that this is dragged often but maybe it's the only way that will get Hyundai to make safer cars for India. With increasing awareness of safety measures people do realise now that what Hyundai sells in India needs to improve on the safety aspects.
mac13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:40   #37330
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think any car would have taken the weight and momentum of a fully laden concrete mixer. According to the news report, four cranes and an excavator were used to shift the truck from the car. Just imagine that weight, coming on a car, even at a speed of 40kmph. As mentioned above, this is a forest road with lots of turns and I've seen lot of people speeding here. I almost got hit by a car who miss judged a curve and came wide, during one of my Sunday rides. (TNIE report of the accident)

Last edited by A350XWB : 2nd February 2023 at 12:05.
A350XWB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 13:34   #37331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
The Road goes through a forest and very curvy and due to less traffic, vehicles speed a lot.
The shorter route goes through some not good and narrow sections, and not much chance of speeding there. The other route via Bannerghatta circle has good roads and many go fast in that area. Checking the news papers reports, this has happened close to where the two routes split.

Quote:
Not with the weight of that mixer.

Last edited by condor : 2nd February 2023 at 13:55.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 18:54   #37332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranabegins View Post
Found a toppled Scorpio early in the morning on Marine Drive in Patna, I see a new accident here every week as this is a newly built road and people are racing here all the time.
IIRC, the end of the road just below the Railway bridge has a curvature. People tend to be fast and immediately encounter this curve, which is very dangerous. I have seen all these SUV's doing this hard braking to control the speed.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 06:28   #37333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

A concrete mixer lorry lost control and fell on top of a car near Doddi in Balamara near Bannerghatta, killing mother and daughter.

Deceased were as Gayatri Kumar (47) & Samatha Kumar (16)
Lorry was coming at high speed at turn lost control and fell on top of the car
It was quite devastating. The husband and father is our regular morning badminton player living at the same neighbourhood.

It was before 8am that this happened. Can’t even write this here. Loss of words.

The car app sent a message about the car involved in a crash followed by a call from Hyundai informing the location and the crash, within no time.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11deb29a8cfa46edb8a75a8b460b506b.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ce9bcc89d05046048e97a403d23004c9.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-51cbb913908748d4b5cd479402fd1fc5.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-74df97b456e148ac8fa3cba13d5cc616.jpeg  

jkrishnakj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 07:33   #37334
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened yesterday right outside my office. Some 4-5 cars and 10-12 two wheelers damaged. Looks like the truck lost control.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230202_131417765.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230202_131522202.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230202_131931074.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 07:45   #37335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I don't think any car would have taken the weight and momentum of a fully laden concrete mixer.
While I fully agree with you that no car is designed to take such a heavy impact and therefore cant be judged , we have a case in the past where occupants of a Fiat Linea survived a truck carrying stones/ construction debris that toppled over its roof. So it may have been a miracle, luck or whatever but it has happened.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed