Old 20th February 2023, 21:45   #37381
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Lungi Dada-

https://Youtu.be/WdzPqg2ACHk

Disappeared when he saw the dashcam
, I guess with the help of social media people have become aware about most of the scams so in search of a new way to con, they found out about the insurance scams committed abroad but in India insurance is highly unlikely to pay any amount so the vehicle owner/driver would end up compensating at the end.

All in all it shows how important it is to have a dashcam nowadays.

Last edited by revvharder : 20th February 2023 at 21:47.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 23:23   #37382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
This happened in Hyderabad few days ago and I think the driver was distracted.

https://twitter.com/ParasaRajeswari/...67857600188416
Yes, the driver probably could have taken that turn slower, or blown their horn, or at least checked twice before turning.

But seriously, why are children playing unmonitored in parking lots, and especially near the ramp? The blame should also go to the parents, the watchmen, the builder's design flaws that doesn't have proper speed breakers while turning, etc.

But we know that the driver would be the only one blamed for this entire mess. I'm not implying that the driver's blameless, just that the other people at fault will never be held accountable here.

Last edited by Small Bot : 20th February 2023 at 23:25.
Small Bot is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 23:59   #37383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. I think the driver was distracted.
The driver simply did not see the kids, not really distracted. It is so unfortunate but what he trying to do, an awkward left turn after a ramp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
..turn slower, or blown their horn, or at least checked twice before turning.

But seriously, why are children playing unmonitored in parking lots, and especially near the ramp?
I think he was slower enough and never would have thought that some kids will be sitting over there.

One such accidents where it is not quite sure that who is to be blamed. Either all of them or none.
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 06:39   #37384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would give some benefit of doubt before assuming this. One can always check the phone records to see if it was in use.

The driver is coming up a ramp when the vision becomes a bit skyward. That is immediately followed by a “left” U turn on his far side (also likely a blind spot with the A pillar) and the kids are very close to the ramp climb and sitting down to further reduce their visibility.

It is a really unfortunate set of circumstances having come together but I wouldn’t immediately jump to assume the driver was reckless / distracted.

Its not inconceivable in many buildings that driving zones and kids playing areas will overlap - that’s a reality. But there should be some bare minimum supervision or oversight as to where these kids are playing in such areas. Speed limits rigorously implemented throughout the gated community and kids kept away from some specifically blind spots like these.

Overall, a very sad outcome indeed of course. My prayers for the speedy recovery of the children.
Axe77 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 09:29   #37385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A simple case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time for both the driver and the children. Can't blame either of them - the kids are too young to understand anything about blind spots and the driver is seriously in the blind spot.

If I had to choose whom to pin the blame on, it has got to be the kids (or the responsible parent) - it's a bad idea to sit down and play in areas where there are vehicular movements. But then again, these are extremely rare cases even for parents to be aware of.

Wishing those kids a speedy and complete recovery.
Turbohead is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 09:38   #37386
BHPian

Quote:

A sad case of, careless parents, I have a very similar ramp and U turn for my parking in my society, It’s a huge blind spot, and if somebody is sitting on the ground there, I wouldn’t be able to spot them immediately, but just one question why did the driver not stop after seeing kids running, he should have immediately stopped the car.

Last edited by W16rocks : 21st February 2023 at 09:41.
W16rocks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 09:45   #37387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W16rocks View Post
but just one question why did the driver not stop after seeing kids running, he should have immediately stopped the car.
A car will have to gain some momentum to climb up a ramp. With that momentum and when someone spots an object immediately after taking a turn , do you think, will one be able to respond instantaneously to stop the car? The driver here, even though didn't stop, turns the car away from the running kid and towards the wall. However, to his bad luck, there are two kids still sitting on the ground who gets crushed.
I don't think the driver should be blamed here, he did what any normal human could do. Can't expect super human reflexes in such a tight spot.
There is no point looking for whom to blame, this is unfortunate incident and all precautions have to be taken to never let this repeat, not just in this society but in all societies where such ramps and parking exits happen to be.
deetee is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 10:05   #37388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
There is no point looking for whom to blame, this is unfortunate incident and all precautions have to be taken to never let this repeat, not just in this society but in all societies where such ramps and parking exits happen to be.
Not looking to blame anyone here, but if he had the reflexes to turn, surely the car was stoppable, but again that would have been an unlikely perfect scenario.

I think the best way is to install convex mirrors at all such turns, and honk at once before turning , best to take all precautions.

I will bring this up in my next society meeting to install convex mirrors at all such points.
W16rocks is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 10:48   #37389
BHPian

Quote:

My residence has similar design. Before starting the ride, I circle around my vehicle. When entering from outside, I slow down, stop any conversation with passengers / music and lower windows. All these are now a habit, because this scenario mortifies me (would anybody).

Buildings with stilt parking and roads just outside the plinth - this design is very common in urban areas. Children playing (running, hiding, cycling) in such roads and parking areas is also very, very common. Educating them is a start but doesn't guarantee and not practical for parents or guardians to keep a watch the entire time.

In this case the children were sitting at a distance of few feet away from the parking, but I've had a bunch of children run towards my vehicle from behind a wall/pillar chasing a cricket ball. I see a lot of residences put up boards of 10-20 KMPH speed limits. An adverse encounter even at lower speeds with a vehicle can do a lot of damage to a small child - physical and psychological.

Don't think sensors/radars and other driver aids are yet there. The spatial awareness of the driver is paramount and the best defense here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytragopan View Post
Last year Nitin Gadkari promised to reduce road accidents by 50% by 2024. Given the track record of the government, I wonder if it is doable at all.
Ha ha.. he and the rest of govt are mere mortals. I say given the rising sales, increasing road coverage and the track record of the people of this country, would be glad to see the accidents not rise by 50%!
subuiyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 17:24   #37390
BHPian

On the apartment accident being discussed, very clearly the fault is with association, security rules and the careless parents. Wouldn’t blame the kids because they are kids and don’t know better, but if it was an adult, it is fairly simple to understand why they are at fault.

In my apartment, there is a defined time for kids play time and certain parts of the society are cordoned off with no vehicular movement allowed. Security personnel actively manage traffic during this time on the allowed areas.

Once I caught a kid cycling on the driveway that’s allowed for vehicular movement and had a near miss with a cab that was reversing. Instead of blaming the cabbie, I gave an earful to the kid and posted on the group notifying parents to ensure their kids don’t flout the rules.

I can only empathize with the driver in this case because even if they are not blamed for it, they have to live with this guilt/fear. I hope the kids recover quickly and to complete health. Wishing them the best!
krishnakumar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 18:42   #37391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Once I caught a kid cycling on the driveway that’s allowed for vehicular movement and had a near miss with a cab that was reversing. Instead of blaming the cabbie, I gave an earful to the kid and posted on the group notifying parents to ensure their kids don’t flout the rules.
Kudos to you for doing that.
We regularly see underaged kids driving rashly in the society, kids playing on driveways /internal roads but many ignore them without trying to correct them. Many hesitate to stop and correct the kids thinking about possible reactions from their parents.
We can't always rely on watchmen/ security / police to keep eyes everywhere. Whenever we see a potentially dangerous act, we should try to stop it. But, most of the times reactions from opposite parties to such responsible acts is hostile. That discourages any further interventions to such acts. We should discourage such hostility and encourage / support the whistle blowers/ responsible monitors in the society.
deetee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 19:18   #37392
Senior - BHPian

The blame here lies with everyone in society who allowed those kids to play in that place and that too in sitting position! Its impossible that no one saw them sitting there, but sadly no one cared about them. i assume their parents didnt see them sitting else they would have been warned. Other's should have clearly known it was a driveway and sitting down in that place was dangerous and should have moved kids from that place. The entire society should take blame for this.

Speed of the car was within usual 20kph limit in societies, he is not at fault neither are kids.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 22:02   #37393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Many hesitate to stop and correct the kids thinking about possible reactions from their parents.
Most of the time, we end up being looked up as a paranoid person, but until an event like this happens, very few realizes the importance of being risk aware.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 23:50   #37394
BHPian

Quote:

It is a clear case of reckless driving.

Replace the kid with a similar sized boulder or a pet or anything for that matter.

In a society like this one, if you cannot see a tennis ball lying on the floor, you cannot drive there.

I am extremely cautious in our society after watching so many kids related videos. In one video a car drove over a kid, who still had a miraculous escape. In one video, the car moves into an open parking area and decides to reverse, to his horror, he ran over a kid who came just seconds after he drove in.

I think I am suffering from some sort of OCD. As I always feel that someone came behind while I was starting the car and connecting the phone. Thanks to these traumatic videos.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 07:22   #37395
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Those tree-trunk A-Pillars of the EcoSport are surely a contributor too. They are way too thick & create dangerous blind spots. That & the tall stance of crossovers can reduce road-level visibility. If the driver was short, it only worsens things further.

I cannot see 70% of the parked Accent in this image. Kids on the ground are impossible.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fordecosport25.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2023 at 10:44.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks

Most Viewed