Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:05   #37396
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

From the video, it looked like the driver did an "U" turn after climbing instead of straightening . If it is was because of his parking space ( or something ) was in that direction and which is a normal drivable road then the mistake might be with children or parents( they have no business to sit there). On the other hand if he did not straighten the car due to his negiligence or carelessness( like phone usage or other distractions) then it is purely driver's fault.There is no pillar on the left side at the exit and I don't think thick A pillar can be the reason for not seeing the children since the driver must be already knowing it and experienced enough to take care). When climbing from underground parking it is better to stop the car for a moment after reaching the top to check the condition of the main road or before taking the car itself better to reach the parking by walking through the car exit just to check the distractions and problems ( like children playing or anybody else parked just near the exit).

Last edited by kvsneela : 22nd February 2023 at 09:10.
kvsneela is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:08   #37397
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Ford Ecosport owner here from last 8 years.
The A pillars block off a big area. I am super careful whenever reversing or turning. Association cannot enforce this, they can only put guidelines. Kids playing in dark was avoidable. Very unfortunate.
Please take extra care, drivers from gated communities, one small mistake can be fatal.
RunGaDa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:28   #37398
BHPian

Bad luck for the driver, parents and kids sure do have to take some blame here. This is a perennial issue in my apartment complex, where there is no clear boundary between play area and driveway. In spite of countless warnings and cautions, people do not bother to educate kids on safety and neither the kids listen, a ticking time bomb.
bullitt1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:53   #37399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post

Replace the kid with a similar sized boulder or a pet or anything for that matter.
You may replace the kid with whatever you like, but the fact is none of those things - not the pet, not the boulder - is supposed to be on the road/drivable areas.

The kids should not had been playing near cars. A boulder should not be allowed on the road. A pet should not be left unsupervised on open roads. It's as simple as that.

I quite see the possibility that the kids would had been in the driver's blind spot, as others have already said earlier.
N.A.GTC is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 10:02   #37400
BHPian

Kids that are too young to know any better were allowed to continue to sit and play by unconcerned watchmen and parents in an area where vehicles are driven, leading to unnecessary emotional and/or physical suffering for everyone involved. Did that capture this situation accurately? This is what happens when rules aren't followed and common sense goes for a toss.
kinetic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 10:54   #37401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I cannot see 70% of the parked Accent in this image. Kids on the ground are impossible.
Add to it - The climbing angle of the ramp that makes the view skywards,
The LEFT U turn, which makes the blind area further wider and kids being on the ground [looks like they were lying there.]. This accident is impossible to avert.

I saw somebody suggesting mirrors - Won't help the driver as his view is skywards. His vision may be adjusting to the day light as he is coming out of the cellar.
Another suggestion was to honk. Seriously? We suggest no honking inside the premises. Just imagine every car honking while exiting. It becomes impossible to live on the ground floor houses. Inside the compound is usually 'No-Honk' zone.
FORTified is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:00   #37402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Bad luck for the driver, parents and kids sure do have to take some blame here. This is a perennial issue in my apartment complex, where there is no clear boundary between play area and driveway. In spite of countless warnings and cautions, people do not bother to educate kids on safety and neither the kids listen, a ticking time bomb.
Its a lost cause. We've faced this same issue countless times in our complex, yet no one seems to be bothered.

Let me narrate an incident that happened a year or so ago. It was around 4-5PM (kids are playing everywhere). My wife and I walked to our car and got in. Mind you, we weren't quiet. We opened and closed the rear door and were talking all this time. Once inside, as soon as I turned the ignition ON, a kid shot out from somewhere in front and ran away! Must have been a 4-5 year old. All this time, he was hiding somewhere in front of the car, probably crouched down under the front bumper, perhaps playing hide and seek. The loud cold start of the diesel must have scared him. My wife and I sat in stunned silence for a while!

I reported the same to the residents whatsapp group, only to have the majority gang up on me (and a few other sensible ones). No one wants to take the responsibility to educate the kids, and god forbid if something bad happens, it ALWAYS someone else's fault. ALWAYS.
GeneralJazz is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:21   #37403

I don’t understand why everyone is blaming kids or their parents here. This is a housing society and kids will be found playing, walking, sitting etc. every where.

It’s the drivers responsibility while coming up a ramp or a turn to stop and check before proceeding which he clearly did not do in this case. If the kids were in his blind spot that’s his problem and that’s more a reason to be more cautious while driving such vehicles. I drive an Ecosport and it’s not particularly challenging to do that if you are careful every single time despite the thick pillars.

These are the kind of drivers while joining a main road from a smaller one that do not wait and check but rushes onwards.

It’s just sad that he ended up punishing the kids as well as himself for his lackadaisical attitude.
karthikg87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:32   #37404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Replace the kid with a similar sized boulder or a pet or anything for that matter.

In a society like this one, if you cannot see a tennis ball lying on the floor, you cannot drive there.
Buddy, if the standard is that drivers need to be able to spot tennis balls, we won't be able to drive anywhere!

There is a certain reasonable expectation that a parking lot should be free of obstacles, children and pets.

Moreso for small kids and pets, as it's impossible to see such objects below bonnet height (I partly blame CSUVs for being more dangerous in this aspect). Pet owners and parents in my society are very careful to ensure they monitor pets/kids if they are in area where vehicular traffic is expected.

I'm having trouble understanding your comment. This Ecosport owner was in the parking lot! Are you implying that he cannot drive there?
kadanaJ is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:43   #37405
BHPian

Happened in my hometown, not sure when.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3999.jpg  

ramki.grandhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:37   #37406
BHPian

Both their licenses should be canceled and should not be allowed to even touch the motorcycle. The car guy failed the basic rule of checking OVRM before making a turn and the auto guy failed the basic rule of letting the car pass as he had turned on the indicator. Now who is the sufferer, the poor person who got sandwiched between the car and auto I sincerely hope she/he is fine

I find this to be very strange behavior, while I am driving or riding whenever I make a turn, subconsciously it is tuned in me to check the OVRMs and I am sure this will be the case with many drivers. It is beyond me to understand what made the car guy turn just like that, mind you he was doing considerable speed as well

https://twitter.com/i/status/1628010051029061633
vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 16:30   #37407
BHPian

I know it's easy to blame parents here, but one of the kids seriously injured is a schoolmate of my son. His father passed away a couple of months ago, and the mother is trying hard to compensate. Add to that, the severe injuries of the kid need around 30 lacs for treatment.

A sad reminder not to start blaming without completely knowing the facts.
nishsingh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 18:31   #37408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Lungi Dada-

Disappeared when he saw the dashcam
It should be used by Dashcam companies to market their products.

As a (Digital) Marketing guy doing his thing for over a decade now, I leave out a sighhhh to still see some companies marketing the features rather than the problems the product/service solves.
Nitish.arnold is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 19:25   #37409
BHPian

It is very obvious that the kids should not have been there and it is the responsibility of the elders, security etc to prevent them from playing wherever they want.

But that is not going to help the Ecosport driver in any way. He alone will be held responsible. As mentioned by others, always get into ultra defensive mode inside apartment complexes, offices, malls, petrol bunks, schools etc, places where human movements are more unpredictable and sudden. As mentioned in another post, when exiting out from a ramp with nothing visible outside, come to a near halt and then proceed after a quick scan. He had completed his climb and taken a left when he hit the kids. So very evident that he was not as alert as he should have been.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 19:26   #37410
Senior - BHPian

Kozhikode accident, she is holding on to her life!

Overspeeding, lost control, hit boundary wall, and toppled. Happened around 10.30 p.m. yesterday. All 4 passengers including an infant are safe.

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd February 2023 at 19:29.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed