Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2023, 14:58   #37681
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
https://Youtu.be/0yNEiaDTtls

Hosur TITAN Watches Dharga Mariamman temple stop, it's at the end of a big down hill ramp.

Received over WhatsApp, seems like it happened today, awaiting further details.

Must admire the quality of CCTV in this bus.
What sort of a road and what sort of a divider is this. Vehicles seem to be going in both directions on the other side. Is that a service road on the right of the video?

That speed the truck was carrying is something else!!! Shocking.
Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 15:07   #37682
BHPian

Quote:

Hosur TITAN Watches Dharga Mariamman temple stop, it's at the end of a big down hill ramp.

Received over WhatsApp, seems like it happened today, awaiting further details.

Must admire the quality of CCTV in this bus.
I was on the other side carriageway when this happened. Vehicles are moving both sides because that is a service road.
The tipper was just too fast and in the wrong lane. This is a very dangerous spot because there are bus stops on both sides (unofficial), and people crossing from one side to the other all the time on the road.

When this happened I turned my neck to only be able to see the biker getting up and trying to recover himself. I did not realize which vehicle had hit the bike, only once I saw the video I fully understood what actually happened.

The bus driver was quick to respond and turn his vehicle away from the out of control tipper.
chaksjr is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 15:07   #37683
BHPian

Quote:

Just out of (morbid?) curiosity, I'd like to ask:
1. Does this seem like a truck whose brakes didn't work and gravity doing its deadly work downhill?
2. Would anyone know if truck drivers are usually taught what to do in such situations (e.g. downhill with dysfunctional brakes)?
3. It seems as though the truck driver might have intentionally driven right over the divider to probably help stop the truck. Is this generally the right move that truckers should employ?
4. While the truck seems to have missed most of the objects on the road, it seems to have taken out a few bystanders. When did this happen and are there any news reports? I am unable to find any.
Old 25th March 2023, 15:09   #37684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
:
When did this happen and are there any news reports? I am unable to find any.
This happened today morning at around 8:35AM.
Old 25th March 2023, 16:27   #37685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A thumb rule is to leave adequate space between your vehicle and the road divider in case you are moving at a reasonable or logical speed.

The gap between your vehicle and the divider is needed so that morons can display their "roadbatic" skills that maybe self destructive, but at least no harm is caused to you.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 25th March 2023 at 16:29.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 17:06   #37686
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like someone was trying to save some diesel, just like the Pune accident recently, where 50 vehicles were involved.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 20:52   #37687
BHPian

An accident is reported on the Mysuru - Bengaluru expressway today.
As per the news, the car hit a stationary TATA Ace.

https://twitter.com/KodaguConnect/st...909272576?s=20
Old 25th March 2023, 22:29   #37688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Why we are seeing so many accidents from Kerala?
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=0q3F7r4bkEs
Guess winding undivided roads. And young blood on bikes is a contributory factor too. Our brains stay in the teen risk taking mode well into our mid-20s.

I know of two male nurses from kerela (most are young as they hang around for a 3-5 years ICU experience in india before leaving for the gulf or uk) who have scummed to accidents on delhi roads in the past year.
regards kaps
Old 26th March 2023, 11:05   #37689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I don't think I have ever seen anything like this

The first minute of the video may be skipped.

https://Youtu.be/YM4Z65Jxtf4
I really hope the guy gets to see this video / the snippet to see how close he was and how grateful he should be for his friend who was such a quick thinker and sprung into action of pulling him out of the line like a flash! Almighty blessed him to the fullest extent God bless them both!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 11:27   #37690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I really hope the guy gets to see this video / the snippet to see how close he was and how grateful he should be for his friend who was such a quick thinker and sprung into action of pulling him out of the line like a flash! Almighty blessed him to the fullest extent God bless them both!
This is a big problem in India. Why are all these people walking so carelessly on the road with vehicles zipping by only mms away from them? There is clearly a safer area available to walk where the girl was standing. People need to carefully walk as far away from traffic as possible with continuous awareness of traffic rather than acting like they are in a garden. I realise there are few footpaths available but you can at least try and stay off the road and go behind parked vehicles whenever possible rather than blindly walking in traffic.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 11:29   #37691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I don't think I have ever seen anything like this before.

A person saved his friend just in time. 0.25x speed shows how close it was.

The first minute of the video may be skipped.

https://Youtu.be/YM4Z65Jxtf4
Holy Crap ! That was a close call. The person who saved that guy has fast reaction skills and presence of mind! That was horrific.

Last edited by MotorDev : 26th March 2023 at 11:30.
Old 26th March 2023, 11:56   #37692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
This is a big problem in India. Why are all these people walking so carelessly on the road with vehicles zipping by only mms away from them? There is clearly a safer area available to walk where the girl was standing. People need to carefully walk as far away from traffic as possible with continuous awareness of traffic rather than acting like they are in a garden. I realise there are few footpaths available but you can at least try and stay off the road and go behind parked vehicles whenever possible rather than blindly walking in traffic.
They won’t be seen. They need to be seen. The T shirt which they bought, the pant they bought has to be noticed. A footpath is for peasants. It’s for lesser mortals. Lots of up and down. These people like to be part of the traffic. They belong to the road and then to the grave.

This happens everywhere. Even educated people do this. Even where there are proper footpaths free of any form of encroachment, you have these type of people who would still walk three to four in a row on the main road.
raycers_honda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 12:17   #37693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Why we are seeing so many accidents from Kerala? is it because they've more dashcams/cctvs or increased average speed because roads are good?
Penetration of CCTV cameras are high even in rural areas. Apart from that, while most of the roads are narrow with single carriage ways, they are mostly very smoothly laid with proper markings, even in rural areas. There is a very high density of vehicles, especially good two-wheelers. Speed breakers are rare too. Over last weekend, I traveled some 200+km of rural roads in Kerala. I cannot recollect a single speed breaker. People speed 60+ even on narrow rural roads. Average speeds are low on highways as highways are pretty congested in Kerala, spotted with towns. But average speeds are higher on rural roads.
impala is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 18:12   #37694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Why are all these people walking so carelessly on the road? ... ... ... I realise there are few footpaths available ...
Even when there are wide, clear, new-made footpaths, a family or group will be found walking side by side in the road.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 18:34   #37695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Penetration of CCTV cameras are high even in rural areas. Apart from that, while most of the roads are narrow with single carriage ways, they are mostly very smoothly laid with proper markings, even in rural areas. There is a very high density of vehicles, especially good two-wheelers. Speed breakers are rare too. Over last weekend, I traveled some 200+km of rural roads in Kerala. I cannot recollect a single speed breaker. People speed 60+ even on narrow rural roads. Average speeds are low on highways as highways are pretty congested in Kerala, spotted with towns. But average speeds are higher on rural roads.
Agreed. I live in a relatively "backwards" place in Kerala, still rural roads are excellent. Vehicle and population density is too high, and couple that with CCTV penetration, you get your answer I guess.
epiccross is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed