Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2023, 10:42   #37891
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono213 View Post
Today our Creta was the unfortunate victim of what seemed like a rock throwing contest between some really idiotic individuals.
This is just crazy, and horribly dangerous! Can you check with local cops if there a CCTV nearby that they can get recordings off of.

Quote:
Also what really irked me was that our DDPAI dashcam failed to record this event and stopped recording just 30 minutes before the incident and I've no idea why that happened. Thoughts?
I've noticed this with my DDPAI dashcam that the recordings are often in incorrect order; did you try checking all the recordings. Look them up on the computer so it's easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Sh*t happens! We have to move on.
This is not something you just accept and move on, man. This can be potentially life threatening. Long back, Mumbai locals were subject to stone pelting incidents, and numerous people suffered lifelong injuries / lost their lives. A LOT of measures (eg. dense metal meshes over windows) and policing had to be done to bring those incidents down.
libranof1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 11:45   #37892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This one sent a chill down for me for a few minutes ....
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - something seriously has to be done about the road (un)worthiness of some of the heavy vehicles plying our highways and expressways. .
Second that.

Being a regular highway driver and watching those loaded beasts pass by, I cannot stop thinking about them, especially when I slow down at tolls.

They may seem harmless with their limited speeds, but the momentum they carry, with all those tonnes behind, they are like crouching tigers that maul all the vehicles in their path.

Though our whole transportation system needs an overhaul which shall require a lot of time and resources, certain aspects like road worthiness (especially of heavy vehicles) must be attended to ASAP without any leeway as this one step can save a lot of lives with immediate effect. But alas, this aspect is also a cashcow and I am afraid this might just be a fantasy, unless some bigwig gets impacted by such incident
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 12:07   #37893
BHPian

This may sound off-topic, but relevant. Mods, please delete it if you think it's irrelevant.

Quote:
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - something seriously has to be done about the road (un)worthiness of some of the heavy vehicles plying our highways and expressways. Sadly there does not seem to be sufficient attention to this aspect of highway safety with the authorities focus being on the low hanging fruit of speed limits alone.
While worthiness of the road can be questioned, a real nuisance is created by regular users of the road (I just believe they are regular, basis how confident they are). Especially near the Amrutanjan bridge, cars cut corners, at speed, as if they are on a suicide mission. It gives chills down my spine, seeing them.

Recently we drove from Mumbai to Pune on that road in 2 cars. The other car was being driven by a family member, who's not a regular driver of car (just about 30 thousand km experience over 20 years). I was so worried about their well-being while on the expressway, throughout. In my mind, I also was questioning, if we should have taken the old highway.

So many crazy high-speed cars really create havoc on the road, leaving no margin while overtaking. They even overtake slow-moving trucks (read 80kmph) from the left using reserved lanes beyond the left continuous line marking at speeds of 120-140 or more. Imagine a not-so-experienced driver is just beyond those trucks, feeling safe in the slow lane, around equally slow trucks (again, read 80kmph); if (s)he makes one abrupt move out of sheer surprise, due to the appearance of a fast car overtaking from left!

P.S.: Patience is missing. Why not slow down a bit for those trucks? Is time and speed and fuel so much more important than life itself? An interesting thread to reflect Driving sedately, and learning to love it

Last edited by akshye : 28th April 2023 at 12:16. Reason: PS
akshye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 12:16   #37894
BHPian

Quote:
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - something seriously has to be done about the road (un)worthiness of some of the heavy vehicles plying our highways and expressways.
If you have seen the way cars drive around these heavy vehicles, you will feel pity for the drivers.
On the Khopoli-Khalapur side, the downward slope brings out the speed demons of everyone and cars try to overtake from any possible nook and cranny, squeezing past the already under pressure heavy vehicles. Any case of misjudged overtake by these cars can definitely cause accidents like this.
The habit of "cut marna" or swerving in front of any vehicle is a habit of many road-goers on this road.

I am 99% sure this incident was caused because of cars and not heavy vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
While worthiness of the road can be questioned, a real nuisance is created by regular users of the road (I just believe they are regular, basis how confident they are). Especially near the Amrutanjan bridge, cars cut corners, at speed, as if they are on a suicide mission. It gives chills down my spine, seeing them.
+1. It is a very scary sight and if you are in a taxi, you can only hold your breath and wait for all this to pass.
turbospooler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 13:20   #37895
Team-BHP Support

I’m in no way saying high speed cars are not a menace, particularly those that are weaving dangerously cutting other drivers. I’m just saying safety drives by authorities need a more 360 approach.

In fact, I had mentioned elsewhere that I’m now seeing a recent trend of cars driving very very recklessly with their plates “stickered up” to cover the number. I’ve seen this on at least two recent expressway trips - on both occasions close to the toll booth - while in the toll booth I’ve seen someone pop out of the car and remove the sticker, perhaps because there are usually cops on the other side. Basically the speed cams have prompted these clowns to sticker their plates and drive with complete abandon. So yes - I can relate to these frustrations and fears too.

I’m just saying enforcement needs to be across many and multiple fronts. Even on NH4 approaching Pune from Satara side there are repeated accidents, many involving heavy vehicles with some sort of critical part failure. Not surprising as I wont be surprised if corners are being kept in even the most basic maintenance and upkeep of these - notably on brakes and tyres, which are perhaps being stretched well beyond their sensible usable life.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 13:41   #37896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Accident on Mumbai-Pune expressway.
Quote:
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - something seriously has to be done about the road (un)worthiness of some of the heavy vehicles plying our highways and expressways.
I'll also blame the authorities for this pile up. Because that slope has a senseless speed limit, where you could do 120 with no accelerator input.

Every time I drive through that section, there's absolute confusion amongst all small and heavy vehicles. Obviously none are driving below 50 kmph because its difficult, and then there's random braking where some wonder whether there's an ertiga with the boot open at the end for a photoshoot.

I've also observed the worst lane discipline by heavy vehicles on this stretch of the entire E-way.

Some sensible limit for light vehicles with strict monitoring enforcing on lane discipline for all could have led to minimal damage and injuries.
TROOPER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 14:12   #37897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
That black Suzuki Grand Vitara took the impact like a champ.
Small correction, it's a black Toyota Hyryder. Going by the side airbags deployed, looks to be a G / V variant.

I am actually impressed with the way its body shell has survived.

Last edited by Crazy_cars_guy : 28th April 2023 at 14:15.
Old 28th April 2023, 15:36   #37898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Such things happen once in a blue moon , look at the brighter side of life and put this behind.
Yes, unfortunately there's nothing much else to do. The car was dropped off at Hyundai for an estimate of around 10k all included, ego isn't hurt, just the wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Was the incident reported to the Police?
No, as dad doesn't want to deal with the complications involved due to his work schedule, we're just happy that nobody was hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I've noticed this with my DDPAI dashcam that the recordings are often in incorrect order; did you try checking all the recordings. Look them up on the computer so it's easier.
I did both, checked on the app as well as on the computer, the camera is supposed to overwrite old footage when it runs out of space, but neither was the sd card full, nor did it even record.
Old 28th April 2023, 16:59   #37899
BHPian

Reckless driving is the new trend. And recording reckless driving for reels, stories and YouTube videos is a far greater trend, and menace of course. It is no surpise that there are people driving crazy in their cars just to record videos. The other day, I was on a fairly empty stretch of road when a sedan whizzed by at 100+ kmph with the driver recording his drive with one hand and one hand on the steering. There are infleucners (so called) on Instagram and YouTube, posting videos of them driving their cars at 200+ kmph while recording with one hand!

I once saw a reel where the guy was driving a fortuner at 180+ with one hand on steering and one hand being used for recording. Even 'heavy drivers' can't control the car at that speed with one hand, should the need arise.
acquillew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 17:06   #37900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
There are infleucners (so called) on Instagram and YouTube ...
And the sad thing is that they do indeed influence.

It's bad enough that uncles, brothers and dads (I'm guessing it's mostly the males), who never learned properly themselves, are the teachers of the next generation of drivers. Throw in the influencers, and the natural inclination of youth to deny risk, and...
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 22:50   #37901
BHPian

Regular road worthiness tests for heavier vehicles are need of the hour in today's era of high speed expressways. The latest trend of recording reels while driving is equally dangerous. There must be very harsh laws, like suspension of Driving licenses for such drivers.
Old 29th April 2023, 04:00   #37902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono213 View Post
No, as dad doesn't want to deal with the complications involved due to his work schedule, we're just happy that nobody was hurt.
Please report it to police on Twitter or Hawkeye app, using pictures and location. In my experience Hyderabad police are comparatively better and you can just indicate that this for information only. They usually geo tag the incidents to map any trends or relation to past and future occurrences. This will help fellow commuters. Just a suggestion.
JReacher13 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 08:00   #37903
BHPian

Hello All, what i have experienced is Google map shows khopoli exit still 2-3 km ahead and the left turn for khopoli suddenly appears. This causes problem for vehicles who are in rightmost lane, many apply sudden brakes and take the left turn. I have even seen people going 50 - 75 meters ahead and then come back till the turn in reverse gear. Those who know the exit, they are aware but many rely on Google maps. Someone needs to correct the location on map.
Old 29th April 2023, 08:57   #37904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWorld View Post
...I have even seen people going 50 - 75 meters ahead and then come back till the turn in reverse gear. Those who know the exit, they are aware but many rely on Google maps. Someone needs to correct the location on map.
Have you tried providing feedback in the Gmaps? This may help. My past experience has been a hit & miss, some changes get approved, some don't.
Old 29th April 2023, 09:06   #37905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Have you tried providing feedback in the Gmaps? This may help.
No, i did not. I don't know how to do this. But yes, it should be done. I have seen the same case with Shriram Best Vada pav on Satara road. Gmaps shows it is 2 km ahead but it comes before it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks