Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2023, 09:23   #37906
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWorld View Post
No, i did not. I don't know how to do this. But yes, it should be done. I have seen the same case with Shriram Best Vada pav on Satara road. Gmaps shows it is 2 km ahead but it comes before it.
In GMaps, select the location and choose "Contribute" -> "Edit map"/"Suggest"
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 10:08   #37907
BHPian

These kinds of pile-ups are bound to happen, will happen, and will always happen. It's just the mentality of the people who drive on our highways. I have been in one such incident on the expressway where I was rear-ended. This all leads to one simple problem that can be easily avoided.

On an expressway, one needs to keep a safe distance. And by safe distance, I don't mean a one-car space gap. One needs to be at least 20 car lengths behind the car in front.

I have noticed many vehicles, whether driven by educated or uneducated people, truck drivers or drivers in posh cars, even teambhpians and my own family members, drive literally on the rear of the other vehicle. It's crazy; I don't understand the need to stick to one's rear and drive.

Below is an excerpt from one of the US road rules for expressways.
You may find that understanding safe driving distances is easier than following them. For each “second rule,” choose a static point along the side of the road such as a speed limit sign or post. Count from the moment the back of the vehicle ahead of you passes the point until you reach it. In general, use the following rules to assess your current driving behaviors:

3-second rule. Count to three seconds during normal driving conditions. Whether you’re going 25 mph or 75 mph, this rule should give you enough space to safely evade road hazards.
4-second rule. Commercial trucks have a large blind spot directly behind the vehicle that can hide up to two vehicles. Give yourself an extra second when following large tractor-trailers for added safety.
6-second rule. In inclement weather and other unsafe driving conditions, increase the time to six seconds. For particularly poor weather, increase the driving distances even more.

These type of things should be taught. Displayed all over on expressways. Until then if not followed, sorry, but we will keep hearing and seeing such accidents.
raycers_honda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 11:23   #37908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono213 View Post
Unknown miscreants wreck havoc on my car. someone hurtled a rock from the position in the above picture. Due to the shock of the impact and the lights turning green, nothing much could've been done other than getting home.

Cheers!
Really sorry to hear about the incident. Luckily, it was just a car involved. If it had been a motorcyclist or a pedestrian without a helmet, the outcome could have been much worse. I suggest filing a complaint at the nearest police station. If you have free time, you could also keep an eye on the area during similar times. This may not be the first time such an incident has occurred, so if you witness anything suspicious, you could potentially catch the perpetrators red-handed and hand them over to the police. However, only do this if you feel confident in handling the situation.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 12:20   #37909
BHPian

Check this youtube short to understand how heavy vehicles when fail can be dangerous and big challenge to bring them to halt.

Note: This video is of Pune to Mumbai lane under Amrutanjan bridge. But this video has no connection with current accident being discussed here.

varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 16:14   #37910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The video rather emphasizes why one should not drive wrong side. Seat belts are not a cure for stupidity and suicidal driving.
The crucial point this illustrates is how people can get ejected if they don’t wear a seat belt.
If there were rear occupants they’d also have gotten ejected.

In most cases of ejection the occupants die or have severe head injuries (imagine diving on your head from a 2 storey building)
StopUnderrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 07:42   #37911
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
I did read that, that statement's what got me puzzled - head on collision while reversing would look something like the attached isn't it? What am I missing.
Attachment 2443567
IMO missing point is direction & side of of the road.

It is possible to have such crash if Thar is being parked on right side of road facing oncoming Baleno.

This is not as per normal behaviour nor the standard norms of parking .

However accidents happen also when there is irrational behaviour
Old 30th April 2023, 15:52   #37912
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay T View Post
IMO missing point is direction & side of of the road.
It is possible to have such crash if Thar is being parked on right side of road facing oncoming Baleno.
This is not as per normal behaviour nor the standard norms of parking .
However accidents happen also when there is irrational behaviour
Irrespective of the direction, I simply cannot make out how in a "head on" collision (it was not a "T-bone" based on OPs description), the driver's side of an oncoming vehicle can hit the passenger side of a vehicle.
Also, from the images shared it appears that the OPs car got badly hit only on the driver's side.
Name:  temp2.png
Views: 958
Size:  53.5 KB
Posting a flipped image that would illustrate the scenario you postulate, the impact would still have to be on the driver side of both the vehicles, while the reported one is not.

The OP has not responded, so I suppose we will have to leave it at that.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 00:11   #37913
BHPian

First time took the Newly opened Bangalore to Mysore expressway. Surprisingly there are lot of unmanned entry points at various places.. this is scary!

Caught an accident happened few hours before today heading towards Mysore
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20230430_0913079013.jpg  

Old 1st May 2023, 01:10   #37914
BHPian

Why is it important to slow down when someone ahead of you has slowed down (or stopped).

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 01:10   #37915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
... took the impact like a champ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_cars_guy View Post
Small correction, it's a black Toyota Hyryder. Going by the side airbags deployed, looks to be a G / V variant.

I am actually impressed with the way its body shell has survived.
On closer observation, the Hyryder got impacted in the rear by the front portion of a low slung sedan or hatch-back during the pileup.

As seen in the video, the point of impact has been on the rigid wheel and rear axle of the Hyryder resulting in the low slung car behind to plough under the Hyryder and raise it high up.
The upper body shell of the Hyryder did not take much impact in this case and hence is intact.
Old 1st May 2023, 09:07   #37916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Why is it important to slow down when someone ahead of you has slowed down (or stopped).
That idiot moped rider got excellent lesson. No helmet, riding like rocket; most likely got some teeth and sense knocked inside him.

It's good that the moped hit the wheel of Scorpio. So, I think, other than few scratches on the fender, there won't be much damage.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 16:36   #37917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Absolutely. Typifies the attitude, so common among 2-wheelers, that what the rest of the world does is nothing to do with them.

He doesn't seem to be going very fast. Which makes it all the more ridiculous that he drove straight into the SUV!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 19:32   #37918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Witnessed this on the way to work. Fortunately, the rider seemed ok.

https://Youtu.be/Kri21ZIlZl8
Reminded of a similar accident my dashcam had recorded many years ago (when dashcams were not so refined as today).
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 21:52   #37919
BHPian

When you think you have seen it all and this comes up!

Looks like the driver was attending to something more important or dozed off.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 1st May 2023 at 21:55.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:02   #37920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Reminded of a similar accident my dashcam had recorded many years ago (when dashcams were not so refined as today).
Thanks for sharing. Such videos have made me more alert while I am driving around 2-wheelers. Any mistake on my part might result in only small scratch/ dent on my vehicle, but may end up severely injuring the 2-wheeler rider.

In your video, though, the outcome is similar to the one shared by sohail99, it is different in terms of fault of each party involved. Here, though I felt bad that the cyclist suffered loss (spilled milk), he too must share some blame for the accident. He had no business of riding close middle lane when there was nothing blocking the road on the left. Also, at the last moment, he made slight right swerve (involuntary ??).

The major share of blame lies on XUV500. It was driven in rash manner from the beginning of the video (hard braking/ acceleration) and the sudden lane change that resulted in the accident. One thing to note, the XUV500 driver might have mis-judged the gap with cycle due to the right swerve and the front mounted milk container. In the end it was a small nudge to the container that dis-balanced the cyclist. While saying this, I am no way absolving the XUV500 driver of his fault.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks