Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2023, 17:12   #37996
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGrid View Post
... Now I am literally scared to drive a car with my infant in it. ...
Don't be. Your car can protect you and your family from far worse accidents than this. Your part is to ensure all adults are belted, and baby is belted into a proper car baby carrier. No babes on laps or in arms.

I've done worse to a door. It is perfectly repairable. Your car will shine again very soon.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 17:33   #37997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was depressed for two days as so many thoughts ran through my mind. Now I am literally scared to drive a car with my infant in it.
Sounds like PTSD. I think you can overcome this. Maybe take professional help if it doesn't happen on its own, with time?
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 18:36   #37998
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Riding responsibly, like most other things that involve risk, is a combination of what-where-when-how. Even on a race track, if one drives/rides the same way in the twisty infield section as one does down the main straight, it wouldn't take long to be deposited in the wall; limb and machine.

Play 'when, not if' on a public road, it eventually only ends one way. The only respect that really mattered here, one that can (and did) make a life & death difference, is the rider's for his own life and machine.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th May 2023 at 11:35. Reason: quoted post has been edited
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 18:59   #37999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... with my wife and a 4-day-old baby

Congratulations... (& sorry we had to know via this post). An Eye opener for you and many here I suppose.

Get the best in class baby car seat (in case your wife or some other person was holding your new born in their arms), learn how to use the Isofix (if its provided in your car). If not provided see this in You-Tube yqFx7veiIfs.

Try to use the car seat from day one and your on-road days as a parent will be so much different and tension free in todays chaotic roads around the world.

PS - found this for you, exclusive You-Tube channel for this topic.

@RearFacingToddlers

Last edited by Sheel : 13th May 2023 at 10:13. Reason: Please type out correctly & proof-read. Thanks.
svsantosh is online now   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 12th May 2023, 20:28   #38000
BHPian

Quote:
Now I am literally scared to drive a car with my infant in it. I can drive, taking all precautions, but how do I deal with this instance where I didn't even know what happened until I heard and felt that thud?
Do whatever is in your control to ensure their safety, including buying and using appropriate safety gear. Many people think it's fine to have babies on the lap, beside them and what not, and try to come up with hundreds of reasons to justify that same behavior too, but don't join that train. Buy a good infant seat (sizes are different for babies 0-6 months, and 6 months and beyond) of the correct size. Install it as per advise. The safest mounting is in the rear seat, facing backwards. If you have to use the front passenger seat for the child-seat don't forget to turn off the airbag, else it can lead to a disaster. If your child gets used to the child seat early on, you'll never have trouble later, but children who are used to roaming around unsecured in a car will have trouble sitting restrained.
supermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 01:21   #38001
BHPian

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2023 at 11:07.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th May 2023, 09:51   #38002
BHPian

Quote:
I was crossing a signal with my wife and a 4-day-old baby when a motorcycle from the left side slammed into my car (Polo), damaging one of the back gates.
Hello GhostGrid. I have been in a very mild form of situation which was same as yours. I was driving inside my society with my daughter in the backseat on the lap of a family member. I do have a car seat installed but she was unwell that day and we were returning from a doctor's visit and she refused to just sit in it. Inside my society, there are cars often parked in the driveway, so I drive very slowly (1st gear only, 5-6 Kmph). Suddenly a parked car rammed into my car from the side without any warning and I applied brakes hard. This caused my daughter to hit her head on the back of my seat (she was 2 years old at that time). I was obviously angry but couldn't do anything as the driver was an elderly man of our society (more than 80 years old).

I then realized that even for short distance (the total trip was 1.5 Km) you need everone to be seated securely. I had bought a car seat for her when she was 3 days old. Her second trip at age of 7 days was in the car seat (trip from hospital was in mother's lap as seat wasn't delivered on time) and since then all long trips and most short trips are in the car seat. I will show your incident to my family and convert all trips to car seat only.

I request you to get a good car seat for her. Its safer than a mother's lap no matter what the family says. Once everyone is safely secured and you are driving safely, you reduce your chances of getting into accidents a lot. Please do not be scared to drive with your baby in the car.
NG_EV is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 11:08   #38003

Quote:
The video you shared is from another accident.

The same accident video was posted 9 months back on Youtube. Please find it here.

https://Youtu.be/S1S-Mxi39_o

I know the urge, but I do not comment on riding skills of these Youtubers for the following reasons:

1. They have driven faster than me. Not once but multiple times.
2. They own a motorcycle that I never rode. I started off with 100 cc and ended with a 150 cc.
3. I do not know what led to that accident, as I was not there. He may have chosen to die than to hit someone. This makes him a martyr? Just exaggerating.

In yester years, when I was riding fast sometimes, I had a pledge, that I will not kill someone for my mistakes. The pledge remains, only the ride got converted to a drive.

I only know that he was riding fast and was a habitual offender and most likely got killed for the offence this time.
I respect your opinion but I am afraid you are mistaken. I have been lucky enough to get multiple opportunities to ride motorcycles as such, and especially after looking at the crash footage it was clear to me. The individual who met with the accident was just not skilled enough for the machine he was riding. Pay close attention to the incident. He hit a divider simply because he was unable to gain the appropriate angle required with respect to his speed and the incoming curve. If he really was fit for a litre class, he would be more than comfortable shifting his weight around in order to lean harder. He was going faster than his own bar of what he can handle. I have seen a fair bit of his videos. With all due respect I have only seen recklessness, no skill.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th May 2023 at 11:36. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
Takumi Fujiwara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 11:11   #38004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too have ridden sub 200cc bikes all my life. Still do. That does not mean I can't recognize the mistake someone riding a super premium bike is making and should not comment on it. It is like saying just because I am driving an Alto I can't recognize the mistake a Merc driver is making.

Basically anyone who rides superbikes way above speed limits on public roads, even express ways, don't know how to ride in my book. They are irresponsible and deserve whatever happened to them. Period.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th May 2023 at 11:37. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
Gansan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 12:45   #38005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Don't be scared of one incident, drive on to create memories. Keep Revving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Don't be. Your car can protect you and your family from far worse accidents than this.
I've done worse to a door. It is perfectly repairable. Your car will shine again very soon.
Thanks saisree and Thad E Ginathom for the motivation and advice. The insurance process is already done, and I will get my car by this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Sounds like PTSD
It's possible, and I have discussed it with my brothers and uncles as well. They have really aided me in continuing to drive while carrying my infant. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Congratulations... (& sorry we had to know via this post). An Eye opener for you and many here I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Do whatever is in your control to ensure their safety, including buying and using appropriate safety gear.
Since we just need to visit the hospital once and won't be travelling with the baby anywhere except this one visit, I really planned to get it before the end of the month. However, as you said, it has opened my eyes to the fact that I shouldn't wait for the entire month to pass. The infant car seat would be the first thing to go once I got my car back (hopefully this evening). Thanks to both of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
Hello GhostGrid. I have been in a very mild form of situation which was same as yours. I was driving inside my society with my daughter in the backseat on the lap of a family member.
I'm sorry for the situation you had, and I feel bad for the child. The only item I would purchase first would be a car seat. I appreciate your advice.
GhostGrid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 13:32   #38006

Bikers are a major source accidents. They are most reckless despite being most vulnerable to injuries or death due to accidents. Despite this the way they thread through small gaps is totally annoying. Many a times i give way to these morons just to avoid getting my cars scratched, damaged. Maybe not all bikers are deranged lunatics but i have yet to see someone riding sensibly.
meisteramg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 13:58   #38007
BHPian

Quote:
...... Now I am literally scared to drive a car with my infant in it. I can drive, taking all precautions, but how do I deal with this instance where I didn't even know what happened until I heard and felt that thud?
Spoken like a true father who has nothing but love and concern for his child. The fact that you even contemplate variables not in your control shows how much you care for your baby. Trust me, you're on the right track. Polo is one of the safest hatchbacks available in the market. There is nothing more you could have done. There is a reason why it's called an accident. Accidents happen and if we're lucky we survive with a little more wisdom and experience. And yes, congrats on the new addition to your family. Keep driving and stay safe
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 13:58   #38008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Perfect example of how much distance to maintain from the vehicle in front as per speed or was it ADAS in action? .

But what was the Venue driver doing?

https://Youtu.be/BmFUyGMzM2k
No. Not a perfect example of following distance. He was maintaining the correct 3 second earlier but reduced it to 1.5 seconds just before the collision. If the car in front had not rolled and given him a few more metres, he'd have hit it.

Also the first reaction should have been to press the brake rather than the horn. Easy to say but not easy to do
StopUnderrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 14:15   #38009
Team-BHP Support

Maruti lovers will cheer up
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20230513-2.06.00-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20230513-2.06.02-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20230513-2.06.01-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20230513-2.06.01-pm-1.jpeg  

Old 13th May 2023, 14:18   #38010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I too have ridden sub 200cc bikes all my life. Still do. That does not mean I can't recognize the mistake someone riding a super premium bike is making and should not comment on it. It is like saying just because.....
.... are irresponsible and deserve whatever happened to them. Period.
I totally agree.
I ride a 390cc old model Duke, and have ridden Street Triple, Daytona, Iron 883, Street 750, etc.

We can't deny, there's a certain pressure to ride fast on high cc bikes:- Most of the times, they're weak at low end torque like my Duke 390 is. And its a noisy, harsh, vibey experience revving in lower gears or handling speed changes (& gear changes) on street level.
Still, I almost never ride above 80 kmph, the speed limit prescribed by Transport Ministry for bikes, where no other limit is given on road signs.

And its not impossible to go slow, its just unentertaining, that's all. You can ride a Hayabusa at 30 kmph should you decide, ride 3rd gear not 6th. Otherwise, get high torque streetbikes, even in lower segment if needed.

Overspeeding is not ok on streets, no matter which bike. You have to draw a line somewhere.
(Although, I agree that mostly its someone else's mistake when I see a Sbk'er crashing in videos. Those "go anywhere" commuters are often more responsible.)

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 13th May 2023 at 14:20.
Samarth 619 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed