Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2023, 14:39   #38011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

They can be enjoyed on toll highways and expressways in a responsible manner. Most toll roads have a speed limit of 80, some 100 and a few expressways have 120. The bike can be taken for a long ride on those roads and enjoyed. The top speed may be 300 but it does not mean the bike won't be enjoyable at 90-140 kph speeds, depending on the speed limit. Doing 10% or 20% over the limit is okay, most drivers do it all the time, it will still be enjoyable and give sufficient reaction time. I myself do 90/95 in my car on long trips when the speed limit is 80.

But there is a big difference in being slightly faster than many vehicles on the road and being twice/thrice as fast. The latter will give so little reaction time and endanger other road users.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 16:43   #38012
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGrid View Post
I was crossing a signal with my wife and a 4-day-old baby when a motorcycle from the left side slammed into my car (Polo), damaging one of the back gates. First I checked if he was fine, then I asked him why he didn't follow the signal. He replied, "Aapki galti nhi hai, main apne khayalo main khoya hua tha" (It's not your fault; I was lost in my thoughts.) I didn't request a repair sum out of compassion, as his bike was damaged too, and obviously he got scratches; fortunately, he was wearing a helmet. I was depressed for two days as so many thoughts ran through my mind. Now I am literally scared to drive a car with my infant in it. I can drive, taking all precautions, but how do I deal with this instance where I didn't even know what happened until I heard and felt that thud?

Attachment 2450513
The only way you can minimise chances of personal damage is to refrain from unsafe and poor GNCAP safety record cars and manufacturers. Seen some people who buy unsafe cars for daily chores but an Accident does not differentiate between daily chores and highway. You can replace everything except life and personal damage.
steadfast is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 23:07   #38013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGrid View Post
I was crossing a signal with my wife and a 4-day-old baby when a motorcycle from the left side slammed into my car (Polo), damaging one of the back gates.

You should be glad brother that you were not on a bike or scooter. Driving Etiquette is almost non existent these days. Safety of our family comes first. Don't let a single incident get better of you. Roads are full of idiots, even CEAT agrees to it.
Recently I was going with my mom on activa and this really smart guy came on his bike and hit my activa and run off. He didn't even bother looking. He was in speed and my mom fell and sustained some injuries. But injuries were less thanks to empty road and my activa being stationary. I am still driving and my mom also goes on same activa with me.
We just curse these guys and move on. Just chill and enjoy your future rides. Consider it as an one off incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
The only way you can minimise chances of personal damage is to refrain from unsafe and poor GNCAP safety record cars and manufacturers. Seen some people who buy unsafe cars for daily chores but an Accident does not differentiate between daily chores and highway. You can replace everything except life and personal damage.
I have a different opinion regarding this whole safe car scenario. You see people are buying safe cars but driving them like they are on race tracks, which the safe car loose its safety aspect. I am not encouraging anybody to buy unsafe cars. Safety should be a priority but safe driving and road manners should be equal or more importance. People don't anything about driving a car yet they have a DL with motor car on it and many are even driving cars .
I think most important think in today's time is to made people aware of their responsibilities else I highly doubt we are safe in any car.
Also there is a big difference between an accident on highway and an accident within city. Speed makes a huge difference. I may have gotten wrong idea from your post if that is so them I am sorry.

P.S : Mods I made 2 posts by mistake. I used quote instead of multi qoute. You can merge both posts or delete one of the two.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th May 2023 at 01:32. Reason: back to Back posts merged
Clown Prince is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 00:12   #38014
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Prince View Post
I have a different opinion regarding this whole safe car scenario. You see people are buying safe cars but driving them like they are on race tracks, which the safe car loose its safety aspect.
The discussion here is about a stationary car being hit by another vehicle. So in that case, the at least thing we can do is buy a safe car to protect ourselves and loved ones. Way of driving is a separate topic al together.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th May 2023 at 01:32. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
steadfast is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 02:54   #38015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Looks like the driver accidentally put Reverse instead of D, i think maruti should label Ignis as SUV as well after all it did manage to climb up over parked vehicles

https://Youtu.be/8dvFA1TrvIs
“Agar ye utaar paati toh chadhati hi kyun?” Always gets me

Beginner drivers should be very well made aware of the difference between Brake and Accelerator. I know we do teach them but it should be engrained in them. There are many little incidents in which in a panic stricken move driver ends up accelerating the car instead of braking or a wrong gear is selected in an automatic.

Well whatever the driver is on seems to be working for her because she is calm Atleast. That’s a small win as well.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 14th May 2023 at 03:02.
Old 14th May 2023, 14:31   #38016
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

W.r.t the superbike discussion, my 2 cents :

What fools the 'I can lean like MaxBiaggi, I am a superbiker' biker enthusiasts into a false sense of control, is the following :

Let's say it takes 0.5 seconds to react (react = apply brakes or escape maneuver) to something (cattle/dog appearing out of median bushes or sudden lane shift by another car/bike in front etc etc) completely unexpected :

1. at 100 kph, reaction time distance ~= 5m, stopping distance ~= 50m
(assuming very conservatively that 0.8g of deceleration is possible on the street tyres, without sliding/ABS involvement)
2. at 200 kph, reaction time distance ~= 10m, stopping distance ~= 200m
3. at 300 kph, reaction time distance ~= 15m, stopping distance ~= 450m

When speed scales 1x:2x:3x, the distance to stop scales in an ax + bx^2 manner. Let's say someone feels in 'control' at 200 kph on an expressway, and his zero-duration 'anticipation and reflexes' have made the 'a' in that equation to 0 ; even then, the limit of physics will more than double (in fact 2.25 times) the 'distance gap' to avoid an accident at 300kph. That means, one's eyes have to be like an eagle's, to spot something that's 450m away and react instantly whilst also the road has to be straight. Add to it a realistic reaction time of 1/2 a second, and we have a restriction of "one needs to be able to see 1/2km ahead and understand whether an obstacle is stationary/opposite/same-direction, AND either maneuver/brake with full force, immediately". In other words, to drive/ride at 300kph on any expressway in India, one has to have a race engineer telemetry in ear, warning of possible obstacles and suprises happening ahead.

It's simply not possible. The decision to drive above 200kph (which itself is mega dangerous) on a public road in our country is insanity, even if it's a mahamarg like access controlled expressway. If not random appearance of cattle/dog, the surface concrete and bad expantion joints can cause instability or a tyre burst. That he made the "300 decision" is the root cause of his death. Not 'what happened on the road'. There is nothing 'unfortunate' about this. It's plain stupid.

Last edited by venkyhere : 14th May 2023 at 14:47.
venkyhere is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 15:54   #38017
BHPian

Quote:

I have a different opinion regarding this whole safe car scenario. You see people are buying safe cars but driving them like they are on race tracks, which the safe car loose its safety aspect. I am not encouraging anybody to buy unsafe cars. Safety should be a priority but safe driving and road manners should be equal or more importance. People don't anything about driving a car yet they have a DL with motor car on it and many are even driving cars .
We can't control what other people do but one thing under our control is how safe is the vehicle we purchase. For example, if we start having a lot of thefts and robberies in our areas then it would obviously be better to have the police improve law and order but that doesn't mean we wouldn't take precautions like installing a better lock or a more secure door. If you lived in a dangerous area where there were armed people breaking in everyday and you went to buy a new door for your home, would you not want to buy the strongest possible one with high tech features like a sensor with an alarm?
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 16:11   #38018
Distinguished - BHPian

100MPH is 160kph. That is as about as fast as I have ever driven anything (I only drive 4-wheelers) and it is not something that I even strove to do more than a few times.

One thing that struck me (metaphorically!) is that the difference between 90MPH and 100MPH doesn't seem much in numbers, but is actually very great. The speed at which things happen means that they might have happened already before one mentally processes, let alone physically responds, to them. Any small mistake of steering is horribly magnified.

Disclosure: yes, the highest British speed limit is 70MPH. Yes, driving faster is illegal. Having said that, the general traffic speed on motorways (and "unrestricted dual carriageways") is likely to be 70-80MPH. And at 80, one is regularly overtaken.

Nothing I have ever done has come even close to preparing me to drive at 300kph (186MPH) and I am not even interested in going there. Not even on a private straight-line track! Maybe... forty years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Beginner drivers should be very well made aware of the difference between Brake and Accelerator. I know we do teach them but it should be engrained in them. ...
From the first minutes of getting into a car, nobody could drive if it wasn't engrained! But it seems that, in a panic situation, some people are unable to correct a wrong action instantly.

There is another possible explanation: shoes. My usual footwear is common cheapo Batta chappels. It has happened to me that, when taking the foot of accelerator, the edge can get caught under the brake pedal.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th May 2023 at 17:59. Reason: As requested
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 17:34   #38019
BHPian

Brezza accident, not wearing seatbelt cost us a life
Hi team,
This happened to my friends near warangal, lost one sitting in co-passanger side. Two people got multiple fractures and lung injuries, only one escaped with minor injuries.
Reason behind accident is they were overtaking a truck and misjudged vehicle ahead and when vehicle came near driver couldn’t navigate and steered to right side and hit a tree. Apparently they were going 120kmph(dont know exactly)
We reached spot within half an hour, ambulance reached in 15 min. Took all to nearby govt hospital. One was declared brought dead, rest three referred to higher centre.

Mostly no one was wearing seat belt, airbags opened as usual but ruptured. A pillar is intact, crumple zone took impact very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_9690.jpeg  

Neurodoc is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 20:54   #38020
BHPian

Quote:
You should be glad brother..
Recently I was going with my mom on activa and this really smart guy came on his bike and hit my activa and run off.
Thank you mate and sorry to hear about your incident. City driving has become difficult. The current requirement requires humans to have a 360-degree camera, more than in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Spoken like a true father who has nothing but love and concern for his child.
Every word you said is nothing but true. Thank you so much, Neil.
GhostGrid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 21:42   #38021
BHPian

Dumb idiot two-wheeler rider. It was night time, and it was drizzling. He didn't use his turn signal, and he turned right from the left side of the car. Luckily, I escaped. If I had hit the bike, the mob would have attacked me.

Bonemechanic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 21:51   #38022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemechanic View Post
Dumb idiot two-wheeler rider.
You are on the wrong side of the road for most of the video's duration, aren't you? Despite the solid white dividing line? Even when there is oncoming traffic?
binand is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 22:53   #38023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You are on the wrong side of the road for most of the video's duration, aren't you? Despite the solid white dividing line? Even when there is oncoming traffic?
Hilarious how he calls the biker dumb and idiotic while breaking pretty much every rule himself. And then proudly posts it on YouTube expecting sympathy!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 07:42   #38024
BHPian

I hate people who drive in the center across lanes like this, even in broken white lanes. Not to mention that it's a solid white line with oncoming traffic, so yeah you're as bad as the biker guy if not worse. There's no reason for you to cut thr white line. I understand that there are situations where you maybe forced to (like crazily parked vehicles in the middle of the road etc), but yours clearly is not one of those.
epiccross is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 15:30   #38025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Perfect example of how much distance to maintain from the vehicle in front as per speed or was it ADAS in action? .

But what was the Venue driver doing?

https://Youtu.be/BmFUyGMzM2k
Whatever he was doing I am shocked that the car just spun in the air ! That is so so scary. Think its more to do with the lightness of the car that it couldn't be planted !

Most Viewed