Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2023, 00:48   #38161
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_maan View Post
I am sad to say that the dashcam footage showed that he was riding rashly, weaving in highway speed traffic without a helmet. He moved in front of the lorry without building sufficient gap first. The lorry driver probably never saw him and ran him over.
Good that you stopped to help! Feel sorry for his friends and family. His death was his own making unfortunately. He just ran out of his “nothing happens” luck.

Was this on the South bound direction or towards Bangalore?
krishnakumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 07:52   #38162
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Glad that you actually helped, instead of switching on the phone camera and just shooting a video.

Quote:
I am sad to say that the dashcam footage showed that he was riding rashly, weaving in highway speed traffic without a helmet. He moved in front of the lorry without building sufficient gap first. The lorry driver probably never saw him and ran him over.
Can't see the lorry in the video, nothing stopped by the side of the road, after the place of impact, either.

Also, that Duster and yourself, stopping on the fast lane - very very dangerous.
venkyhere is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 08:34   #38163
Team-BHP Support

Feel really really sorry for the boy and more so for his family. As a father, I cant even begin to imagine the loss of a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Also, that Duster and yourself, stopping on the fast lane - very very dangerous.
Ordinarily yes - but best left to discretion of whoever is on ground.

Imagine this, the right lane is occupied by an immobile human being who’s been hit. The middle and right lane are undriveable because of the broken bike strewn in that path. That leaves only the left most lane. All vehicles will start moving left now, some may even veer left suddenly if taken unawares.

If cars start parking on the left side even off on the kerb, it creates a very narrow bottle neck and its own safety issues. They’ve both parked well ahead of the incident, in fact the OP went one step more and parked “ahead” of the Duster.
Axe77 is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 08:43   #38164
BHPian

That's horrifying. OP, thanks a lot for at least giving the guy a chance at survival.

I absolutely am scared of riding motorbikes (or even being pillion) and I constantly scold my brother (who's roughly 25 now) for being adventurous on road. Now he's much better, drives a bit sedately and stopped riding aggressively. All it takes is a very small hit from anything to send you flying.
epiccross is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 09:54   #38165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Good that you stopped to help! Feel sorry for his friends and family. His death was his own making unfortunately. He just ran out of his “nothing happens” luck.

Was this on the South bound direction or towards Bangalore?
This was on South bound direction towards Chennai
Old 4th June 2023, 10:38   #38166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Glad that you actually helped, instead of switching on the phone camera and just shooting a video.

Can't see the lorry in the video, nothing stopped by the side of the road, after the place of impact, either.

Yeah. On YouTube, you can't zoom in. When you download it, you can see it happening. Also, I agree that stopping on the fast lane is not ideal. But the fast lane was already closed due to debris. I considered moving to the left, but the traffic was already moving to the left and so I thought it was better to stay right
oh_maan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 11:18   #38167
BHPian

Quote:
This was on South bound direction towards Chennai
Small nitpicking, unless coming via Kolar, Chittoor it's mostly eastbound to Chennai I guess. But I do think the road is directionally southbound near Krishnaigiri where this incident took place.

Also fun fact, most of Bengaluru is south of many parts of Chennai. They are basically same latitude with center of Chennai north of center of Bengaluru.

Mangaluru-Chennai via Bengaluru is basically a coast to coast straight line.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 4th June 2023 at 11:22.
Yieldway17 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 11:54   #38168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Small nitpicking, unless coming via Kolar, Chittoor it's mostly eastbound to Chennai I guess. But I do think the road is directionally southbound near Krishnaigiri where this incident took place.
Bangalore-Krishnagiri is generally south-east directionally. Krishnagiri-Vellore is north-east. Vellore-Chennai is east more or less.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 13:18   #38169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinds View Post
Yes. Totally the Aura's mistake but both vehicles encountered a barricade squeezing them together. The Aura went blind though by tailgating.
Indeed, the haphazardly placed barrier is a precipitating factor, Biker on the left to avoid the barrier had to come toward the center, and to avoid him Aura also had to shift, while the truck to avoid the barrier toward the median shifted left. It's common across WB to find such barriers even on the village side along with unmarked speed breakers.
drsnt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 16:06   #38170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
"Tyre burst led to accident" is just about as believable as alien invasion stories.

I personally know of two cases in which occurred in this manner. Tyre burst at high speed combined with inappropriate steering and braking response. It’s not as improbable as you make it sound.
Old 4th June 2023, 18:31   #38171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
I personally know of two cases in which occurred in this manner. Tyre burst at high speed combined with inappropriate steering and braking response. It’s not as improbable as you make it sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
"Tyre burst led to accident" is just about as believable as alien invasion stories.
Although I don't know if a tyre burst caused it or not, this video at 0:28 shows some plants behind the car which were also on the divider, perhaps meaning that the car jumped the median and that it was not on the wrong side.

sravankrishnan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 20:33   #38172
BHPian

Re: Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review

While the tragic loss of life in the train accident is still bothering us, I was witness to another accident, this afternoon, which I'm afraid may have been fatal to some in the Ertiga. I sincerely wish and hope speedy recovery for the rest. It was a gory sight and one which will haunt me for a long time to come.

WARNING : PLEASE WATCH THE BELOW VIDEO AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. VIOLENT VIDEO CONTENT.

WARNING : PLEASE WATCH THE BELOW VIDEO AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. VIOLENT VIDEO CONTENT.

I am yet to shake this off and have been thankful and grateful, to come out unscathed. Amazing reflex by the SWIFT TN 43E XXXX (Not revealing the license plate number) who stopped just in time - Thank you my friend. Which otherwise could have resulted in another collision with the XUV.

Let's respect the privacy of those involved and please don't ask for more details on this incident. I put this video up for a few reasons.

No one in the Ertiga was wearing a seat belt, including the driver. - Why !!!!
The airbags deployed, which saved the lives of driver and passenger. However they were badly injured.
There seems to be another person seated in the passenger seat, who may not have been so lucky.
The lady seated in the second row middle seat bore the burnt of the impact.
The ambulance came, exactly after 5 minutes, which makes all the difference between life and death.
The locals came out in full force, retrieving the gravely injured, prying open the jammed doors with bare hands and getting them on the ambulance.

While we always wear the seat belt, I'm mandating all passengers, even third row passengers to wear seat belt in my car henceforth.
The brakes and steering control on the XUV was amazing. I felt in control of the vehicle all through out. All the tech in the car does make a difference when it really matters.
  • Please don't load a car seat beyond its stated capacity. One seat is meant for one adult. And there's only one seatbelt per seat !
  • Please, please please wear seat belts.
  • Please choose a car that has a minimum of 2 airbags.
  • And for heaven's sake, pay attention to the road when driving.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 20:51   #38173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
I hoped never to be part of this thread... and here I am Brand new car, just been ~3 months and this

Dashcam footage revealed I left acres of space for this guy and he still did this.

PS: Here I guess 360 cam helped me more than dashcam, clearly shows the lane markings and how the KSRTC driver hit my car.

https://Youtu.be/Eh0Rnkdckrc
Really sorry to see this happen. It's really bad to see bus drivers driving all over the road instead of sticking to their lane. I've seen thus attitude several times in many places. There is absolutely no late discipline and they impulsively shift lanes. I've too had a few near misses but even if you try to stay away from them, they come to you.

Hopefully you get the vehicle back into shape and running soon

P.S.: I am curious which dashcam are you using to get this 360 coverage? It's really effective and am planning to get one for my verna though I don't know if it will play foul with any of the adas systems. Is it connected to your Sonet's display or does the camera come with its own screen. TIA

Joe
Grand Tourer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 21:26   #38174
BHPian

Quote:
I caught a heart breaking accident ony dashcam today near Krishnagiri.
I feel really annoyed at him for putting other road users and his family through such trauma due to sheer stupidity and negligence. But then they say you should never speak ill of the dead. Sincerely appreciate the Good Samaritan in you.

I have been doing the Bangalore-Coimbatore stretch every Friday (up) and Sunday (down) for the past 7 weeks straight. This is the first weekend I am at home. And I can tell you this stretch is a huge stress inducer despite strictly driving between 80 and 90 at all times. On one of the occasions I really lost my cool (after many years that is) when a couple of guys in a beat-up Chevy Beat were weaving in and out of traffic like morons. On one occasion he almost crashed into me despite the fact I was strictly in my lane. I lost my cool and at the next possible occasion pulled him over and gave him a piece of my mind. My anger must have shown in my face cause he cowed down completely. I had just lost my father in law and probably the anguish is what turned into anger when I saw that joker on the road. I am definitely not happy about what I did. In short am starting to loose interest in these drives, thanks to these morons.

Last edited by SR-71 : 4th June 2023 at 21:28.
SR-71 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 08:01   #38175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Unfortunate incident. I've had one hit from a ksrtc, so I'll just stop before the curve at the mere sight of a big metal junk coming towards me at a turn like that.

Could you manage to get any compensation from ksrtc? That would be the biggest achievement for any vehicle owner.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th June 2023 at 08:10.
clevermax is offline   (27) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks