Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2023, 20:46   #38191
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Could you manage to get any compensation from ksrtc? That would be the biggest achievement for any vehicle owner.
Is it even possible to get a third party claim done without having to break your head over the process and bureaucracy that one will have to endure?

I was recently at the receiving end of a tanker truck in barely moving (inches apart sideways) traffic - the cleaner side step went into the rear quarter panel of my car resulting in a gash/hole.

The run around I got from the insurance companies - both mine and his in the few calls I made, got me take the 'settlement'/compromise even though I knew I would have shell out something out of pocket
ridersam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 21:24   #38192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
I deliberately follow and watch every video in accidents in India thread every week so as to give constant conscious reinforcement to my brain about the perils of driving in India, to keep on reminding myself one can end up in an accident even though one follows every rule and drives defensive. One can not control others on the road to act irresponsible and number of those who act irresponsible far outnumbers those who drive responsibly.
Unless one has severe compulsions, driving a two wheeler should absolutely be avoided at all costs in India. It's not worth it I guess however tempting it looks
I do, too. However gruesome the video maybe. Just to see a possible accident scenario. And, unfortunately, possibilities are endless.

In fact, govt. should make a compilation of these videos and forward it to every cellphone in India on a weekly basis. Maybe that will knock some sense into the heads of some reckless drivers/riders.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 21:31   #38193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Sir, God bless you for being a great human being. However, want to understand the state of your mind when you got down from the car.

1. Did you think that stopping on the right lane would make you look like the culprit?
2. Did having the dashcam footage offer some level of protection against hoodlums accusing you ?
3. Would you have still done the same if you saw a crowd gathering and saw potential harm to you or the occupants in your car?
4. Depending on the injury, other than calling the ambulance, did you think what you would do when you stood by that exiting soul waiting for the ambulance?
5. Is there even time for thinking through all this or you just did what you did based on your instinct and values?
1. No. That thought never crossed my mind. As I came to the scene, the middle and fast lanes were blocked by debris and they seems to be the safest place to park. All traffic behind me had stopped and were moving left to avoid debris. So it would have been difficult to move to the left and stop there. Having said that, multiple people asked me if I was worried about getting blamed. That thought didnt cross my mind. Maybe it should going forward.
2. Like I said, My car was in pristine condition. Looking at the damage to the bike, only an idiot would think that I caused it. But yes, I was also confident that the dashcam gives me the cover that I need.
3. I stopped mostly because I was one of the 1st ones on the scene and I kind of felt responsible for helping. I have come across other accident sites where there was already a crowd of people. In those cases, I drive on assuming that the folks on site would be providing the required help.
4. It was very traumatic watching the fear in his eyes. For the injuries he had, he must have been in pain, but his system was flooded with adrenaline that I dont think he felt anything. He asked for water, which someone provided. He provided his mother's phone number. I called her to inform. That was a very difficult conversation as I didnt want to cause panic. She wanted to talk to her son. People on site convinced me not to do that. I regret that now. I should have let them speak. I will have to carry that with me. I dont think she got to speak to her son before he died.
5. It is mostly instinct, trying to help. People were trying to move him. I vaguely remembered that moving accident victims without proper care was a bad idea. So I stopped it. I was gauging the extent of damage, asking if he hurt his head. He said no. After a couple of mins, you are not alone anymore. More people had come forward to help and things just happened. The ambulance arrived very quickly. I was pleasantly surprised at that.
oh_maan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 21:35   #38194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post

1. Did you think that stopping on the right lane would make you look like the culprit?
2. Did having the dashcam footage offer some level of protection against hoodlums accusing you ?
3. Would you have still done the same if you saw a crowd gathering and saw potential harm to you or the occupants in your car?
4. Depending on the injury, other than calling the ambulance, did you think what you would do when you stood by that exiting soul waiting for the ambulance?
5. Is there even time for thinking through all this or you just did what you did based on your instinct and values?

I ask all these because I have seen twice these type of incidents just a few feet ahead of us :

a) Once on the Kanakapura road where a rash biker collided against a village person on his TVS (T boned) and the biker ran away. My friend was driving the 3-door vehicle that we were in and I was in the backseat. Within seconds there were locals and many of them started asking "Is this vehicle that crashed into the tvs", thankfully there was already another bystander that had seen what had happened and said the actual culprit on the bike had gotten away. There was no dashcam on this vehicle that we were in.
b) Another one where a white nexon had pulverized a two wheeler on the Mysore expressway. We were the second or third vehicle to pass after the accident and the locals blocked all vehicles in a few seconds (including us) and started getting too aggressive physically.
Very very pertinent points. I have some personal experience as well in my circle.

I was once visiting my hometown and was driving a borrowed swift (with no dashcam) at a very low speed (25kmph) and was about to cross a roundabout and suddenly a scooty was in front of me and I did not even have time to think. I still swerved to the left as much as possible to avoid and still it hit the back. It was being driven by a lady without a helmet, without a license (I came to know this later) who was coming full speed without thinking. My car still hit the back but to my astonishment and luck, she got only minor bruises though the scooter was gone.

I did stop and in no time there was a huge crowd and of course I was the culprit. All the local aspiring politicians were there. I kept my sanity and composure but I still recall one guy commented you are lucky, usually by now you would have been beaten by the crowd already. I paid Rs 25k to get out of that mess to the owner for no fault of mine and still thanked my stars that I got away with JUST Rs 25k when the lady could have been dead if I had not swerved.

As much as it may sound cruel, it is almost always never a good idea to stop in such scenarios. One of my close friends gave me this tip from his experiences.

Once he stopped on a traffic light and a biker scraped against his SUV. They went to the police station and in summary the deal offered by police was given the SUV, the income level of my friend and the community of the biker, Rs XXXXk is due to the biker. Such is the state of our tribal laws (in NCR).

Post that he mentioned he was once going on DEL-JPR expressway, about to climb a flyover when the biker just in front of him decided he does not want to climb the flyover and slammed brakes without thinking, coming to full stop. He could not avoid hitting at those speeds, could see the biker falling in rear view mirror and decided to run away and it was wise decision for sure in retrospect.

I have also heard some stories where passerby helped a person who met accident and in no way involved in the accident. Still the victim, after recovering, blamed the person who helped him reach hospital and lodged a criminal case.

Unless our police is just and crowds have objectivity, STAY AWAY or even RUN AWAY from ACCIDENTS. Might sound cruel, inhuman but the risk of you being sucked into an unnecessary mess is VERY HIGH.

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 5th June 2023 at 21:52.
OffRoadFun is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 21:44   #38195

Spotted this Innova and Altroz collision on the way to Mandalpetti road in Madikeri on 3rd of June. The road is very narrow with bushes on both side and the accident occurred late night. The shopkeeper nearby said that travellers in both the cars were safely recovered without serious injury.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_5671.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_5674.jpg
zeshhaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 22:17   #38196

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeshhaan View Post
Spotted this Innova and Altroz collision on the way to Mandalpetti road in Madikeri on 3rd of June. The road is very narrow with bushes on both side and the accident occurred late night. The shopkeeper nearby said that travellers in both the cars were safely recovered without serious injury.

Attachment 2459907

Attachment 2459908
This goes to show that even though build quality of Tata and Toyota cars are excellent and some are even rated 5 stars, the drivers need to understand that they are not exactly bullet proof and need to be vary of that and drive cautiously at all times.
sentinel733 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 23:08   #38197
BHPian

Quote:
Unless our police is just and crowds have objectivity, STAY AWAY or even RUN AWAY from ACCIDENTS. Might sound cruel, inhuman but the risk of you being sucked into an unnecessary mess is VERY HIGH.
How about starting a topic "How to help accident victim without getting accused"?

Sharing my own experience, Couple of yrs. back, me and my wife were going to take care some business on a two wheeler, We were going through the Meenambakkam Subway(Chennai)(The subway is designed in curved manner, so we can't see vehicles the vehicles on the other side ) while I was approaching the middle, Heard thud sound, Slowed down, As I approached the turn, Saw an old man lying on the ground. I looked for vehicle that possibly could have hit the man, but there was none. It was Sunday noon and the road was completely deserted. Took stock of the victim status, His right ankle was twisted in a bad manner, He was conscious but was not speaking, So I called ambulance, By the time few passing vehicles started stopping and they to started helping him by offering water and trying to talk him. There will be a patrol vehicle stationed on one side of the subway, some passing vehicle alerted them and they also came to the spot. I told cops that I already called ambulance.

Now the investigation started while we were waiting for the ambulance, police and people started asking what happened and we narrated the story, After few mins couple of the guys started inspecting my bike, for first few seconds it didn't strike me, then I realized I am being the accused here, OMG my bike already and few dents and scratches which I didn't bother to repair.

Somehow the cops were not showing interest in investigation the cause. They were just waiting for the ambulance to come, By this time quite a big crowd gathered and most of them find it difficult to believe our story. Now comes the savior, seeing the crowd few ladies who are residing adjacent to the subway came to the scene, They claimed that the old man is a home less person migrated here from a different town few days ago and he is almost blind. The also told he could have fallen from the pedestrian crossing stairs. The ambulance arrives, the old man was shifted to the ambulance. cops thanked us, asked us to continue and dispersed the crowd.

It took me months to shake away that incident.
sram is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 09:10   #38198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
KSRTC buses are the most reckless and killer vehicles on Kerala roads.

This is a norm here in Kerala. KSRTC buses never stick to their lanes. One day while I was on a trip, I saw 2 similar accidents caused by KSRTC busses in blind corners. In one of the accidents, both were KSRTC buses.

These people have no consideration for the life of others. They overtake in narrow lanes and force vehicles coming on the opposite side of the road to go out of the tarmac at times. (By turning on the high beam).
Because they don't risk anything. Even if someone dies, it'll be classified as an 'accident'!

No value to the life of people. Thankfully, it's running at a huge loss and I hope it would be closed down soon for good!

Last edited by sac23 : 6th June 2023 at 09:13. Reason: Spelling
sac23 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 12:20   #38199
BHPian

Quote:
I deliberately follow and watch every video in accidents in India thread every week so as to give constant conscious reinforcement to my brain about the perils of driving in India, to keep on reminding myself one can end up in an accident even though one follows every rule and drives defensive. One can not control others on the road to act irresponsible and number of those who act irresponsible far outnumbers those who drive responsibly.
Exactly. Not that I am a rash driver, but no other medium has helped me drive sensibly as much as the posts in this thread. Its a constant reminder of what can go wrong, and how bad the consequnces can be.

This is a thread I visit daily even if there are no new posts.
nettooran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 12:42   #38200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac23 View Post
KSRTC buses are the most reckless and killer vehicles on Kerala roads.

These people have no consideration for the life of others. They overtake in narrow lanes and force vehicles coming on the opposite side of the road to go out of the tarmac at times. (By turning on the high beam).
Because they don't risk anything. Even if someone dies, it'll be classified as an 'accident'!

No value to the life of people. Thankfully, it's running at a huge loss and I hope it would be closed down soon for good!
1) I assume that's just generalization.
As per Kerala Police Data for 2022, out of a total number of reported accidents in the state, 551 were attributed to KSRTC and 1,902 to Private Buses. Fatal accidents out that was 106 and 201 respectively.

2) True for the most part and it's a scary sight seeing them overtake!

3) For a service that's most commonly used by the working class and students, wanting it to be closed down would be pretty drastic. Corrections must be made in their way of operation and driving.
deathwalkr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 13:23   #38201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac23 View Post

IMO it's not just KSRTC, it's private buses too. I just got back after signing my insurance papers, and the private bus I took - the guy was driving like a madman. I don't believe in god - but I was praying and holding on to my life while this guy was driving. Overtook 3 trucks back to back ignoring oncoming traffic and nearly scraped a parked KSRTC (or he actually might have, I don't know). Even people started swearing at this guy after that, and we here have a great threshold for rash driving as most buses drive like crazy.

Besides, I think public transport (especially government owned) should be for the welfare of people. KSRTC for instance provides service in many remote areas (at least here) where there are hardly any private buses providing service. Might not be "profitable" but it's important provide access to buses to everyone possible.

What I am pissed off about though, is that there's no excuse for driving like maniacs. Especially government buses, should be mandated to drive sensibly. It's more about driving culture and how much leeway these buses are given (or even rash drivers in general, more so in buses though). So I totally agree, these people drive like a goddamn Alto, completely neglecting the fact that they're heavy vehicles and should be multifolds careful!

Last edited by epiccross : 6th June 2023 at 13:46.
epiccross is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:38   #38202
BHPian

Not an accident per se but cars were lost to fire.

https://www.manoramaonline.com/distr...llur-fire.html

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/koch.../100754219.cms

The first link is to news in Malayalam and the second one is from TOI.

In the past when I was in Ernakulam, I had use there services. Pretty good workshop with repute. I feel really bad for the owners of those cars.
Old 6th June 2023, 16:31   #38203
BHPian

Quote:
I hoped never to be part of this thread... and here I am Brand new car, just been ~3 months and this
https://Youtu.be/Eh0Rnkdckrc
Tells volumes about the importance of having a dash cam (360 deg cam is a boon).

Myself was embroiled in a situation where a drunk truck driver couldnt contol his truck in a bumper to bumper traffic and hit on my car's rear. Since I had no dashcam, i could not put up a proper case.
Only settled in private.

Just because he admitted he was drunk, poor, stressed and wanted to settle, i didn't emphasize much on police report or calling the trucks owner etc. In hindsight, it Could have been worse.

Have been planning to install a dashcam, please do suggest which of dashcam you have ?

Thanks in advance
Sunny
Sunny_7937 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 17:37   #38204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_7937 View Post
Tells volumes about the importance of having a dash cam (360 deg cam is a boon).

Have been planning to install a dashcam, please do suggest which of dashcam you have ?

Thanks in advance
Sunny
Hey, sorry that you had to go through that! I had the dashcam installed immediately before taking my brand new car for its first highway trip, precisely because of tons and tons of incidents like this and it becomes he said she said. Even with dashcam, it's difficult to convince some people of the facts.

My dashcam is DDPAI mini, which is quite decent for the price. THe posted video is a bit lossy, the actual file is fairly good. 360 cam is different though, I have checked with the accessories guy to get the name of 360 cam as everyone's asking about the cam
Old 7th June 2023, 11:49   #38205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IMO it's not just KSRTC, it's private buses too.
Agree to what you mentioned.

I see your location as mentioned as North Kerala, so I can guess what you mentioned. In this side of KL, I feel the KSRTC buses are lesser of the evil.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed