Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2023, 10:33   #38221
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Caught on cam: Bus mows down man crossing road near Delhi's Majnu ka Tila
Quote:
In a tragic incident, a man was mowed down by a speeding bus in Delhi. The incident reportedly took place on June 3 at 5:30 am in the morning. The incident was captured on CCTV camera. The police managed to arrest the accused and seized the bus. The police had gone to the location but found that the bus driver had fled the spot.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...100793862.cms?
DetectiveMiles is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 11:12   #38222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
Caught on cam: Bus mows down man crossing road near Delhi's Majnu ka Tila
That's so unfortunate and the Guy was almost on the Zebra crossing. However, the design of Zebra crossing is also of question, where it ends (Both Sides) on the median with trees/shrubs.

Looks like the bus driver was distracted. RIP the departed soul.
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 15:59   #38223
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

I dont understand, what was the driver supposed to do here? He's driving a loud vehicle over some poorly maintained roads, probably wouldnt even have noticed running over the child.
Surrender at the nearest police station and he is likely to get bail as well I think. If a driver ran someone over, that is the least s/he can do. Not hit and run.
Old 8th June 2023, 16:38   #38224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Surrender at the nearest police station and he is likely to get bail as well I think. If a driver ran someone over, that is the least s/he can do. Not hit and run.
The flip side is, if it's a kid, the odds of mob justice taking over is very high. I would understand if he flees the scene at the moment, but he should absolutely surrender rightaway.

But just thinking of the trauma for all the people involved here - parents, driver and even people who witnessed, good god
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 11:03   #38225
BHPian

Another day, another rash bus driver vs something accident in Kerala. This time, attempting to overtake on a narrow bridge.

one-77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 11:30   #38226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac23 View Post
KSRTC buses are the most reckless and killer vehicles on Kerala roads. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
1) ...
.... 551 were attributed to KSRTC and 1,902 to Private Buses.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
IMO it's not just KSRTC, it's private buses too.
Agree with the above - we can see public and private transport buses driven in a similar (reckless, intimidating) manner across the country, not just KL. I have come across such drivers UP to TN, GJ to WB, KA to OD, even in AS/AR (see how those Tinsukia - Itanagar or Itanagar - Guwahati buses bully others).

Typically, they are govt or govt contracted buses, but also many scheduled private buses like say MH-GJ-RJ or MH-GA-KA 'Volvos'. Also, how can I leave out mining trucks/dumpers in states like WB, JH, OD and KA. Does not mean these drivers don't exist in other states - just cited the ones I have driven in recently.

Looking for pattern, these are typically drivers who:
  • regularly ply on the specific route and so may have the 'false confidence' of knowing the terrain and their vehicle's capability intimately
  • are on the clock
  • drive a vehicle that no one else seem to care about (e.g. how others behind a bus or truck honk as if it's their right to be allowed to overtake; in Mumbai we people honk madly at BEST buses halted at bus stops though everyone knows they are meant to stop there!)
  • drive a vehicle much larger than others so eventually makes them fall for primal behavior - intimidation (heck I too have fell for this more than once).

As mentioned by many other, I have settled for clearly moving away from such vehicles (or letting them overtake) as the best way to deal with them.

Last edited by subuiyer : 9th June 2023 at 11:39. Reason: correcting semantics
Old 9th June 2023, 11:37   #38227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Another day, another rash bus driver vs something accident in Kerala. This time, attempting to overtake on a narrow bridge.
Looks like the bus driver was ignorant or deliberately showing who is the big guy. Fortunately the two wheeler riders didn't come under the bus and survive to see another day.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 11:44   #38228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
[b]
Caught on cam: Bus mows down man
Too tragic ! As pedestrians we need to be cautious as in such a location, no driver expects a pedestrian to all of a sudden pop up. More so for these callous bus drivers, who have a different DNA.

Quote:
Another day, another rash bus driver vs something accident in Kerala. This time, attempting to overtake.
Again so tragic and avoidable. It's another one involving a bus. Luckily, one scooter rider escaped unscathed. Not sure about the second one/ pillion. Owing to providence, the scooter flipped transverse to the direction in which the bus was moving. Else had it flipped to its right, God only knows what could be in store.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 11:59   #38229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was quite the lucky escape for the people on the two wheeler. One side the bus tyre, the other, a fall into water.
Old 9th June 2023, 12:32   #38230
BHPian

Re: Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
While the tragic loss of life in the train accident is still bothering us, I was witness to another accident, this afternoon, which I'm afraid may have been fatal to some in the Ertiga. I sincerely wish and hope speedy recovery for the rest. It was a gory sight and one which will haunt me for a long time to come.
[/list]
Boss, you just got really lucky twice in a row. God was there for you.

That Ertiga driver is incompetent and unfit to drive.

The pick-up truck bore the brunt of the damage. Your instant reaction was to pull over to the right, which could have been fatal, but the Swift driver spared you.

If I had to rank the alertness of drivers in order,

1. The White Swift
2. Alto
3. You - However, I believe you should have been more cautious.

4. Camper Bolero - I don't see him breaking hard enough to avoid a collision. He was expecting Ertiga to return to its lane until the very last second.

5. Ertiga - The less said about him, the better.
dicor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 13:59   #38231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post

4. Camper Bolero - I don't see him breaking hard enough to avoid a collision. He was expecting Ertiga to return to its lane until the very last second.

5. Ertiga - The less said about him, the better.
Thank you. Yes I do feel extremely lucky.
I saw the Ertiga coming straight for Camper Bolero and was hoping he would correct at least at the last moment. You could see the Bolero trying to get out of the way starting 18seconds in the video and simultaneously applying brakes. (Only one brake light was functioning. No surprises there).

I seriously can't fathom how and why the Ertiga guy did what he did. I could have accepted if it was a curve and the driver was distracted. Ertiga is overtaking a SWIFT and everyone expects you to be extra cautious until after the overtaking. However this guy...was on a suicide run. The irony is that the driver survived, not the 2 passengers ! Guess what he was holding on to - not his dear life, but his phone. We tried to retrieve him from the mangles, but couldn't force open the driver side door and were trying to retrieve him through the windows. But this guy wouldn't let go of his phone even while his life was tangling before his eyes.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 15:09   #38232

Hello, This is just a quick reply. I am a Surgeon, who has treated many accident victims. I always insist everyone traveling with me to wear the seat belt, whichever seat they are occupying.
But what I want to convey especially is that it is always better to wait for the Ambulance persons, who are trained, to retrieve persons from within the vehicle, unless there is a fire. Locals, tend to cause more harm to persons who are already gravely injured by trying to manhandle them out.
Pynummoottil is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 17:37   #38233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_maan View Post
...A young guy on a bike came under the wheels of a lorry.
I would have made a intentional sentence forming mistake of saying 'went under the wheels'.

For the uninitiated, please read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pullingo

and

search 'pullingo bike' on u tube.

PS - the spot is on the down slope of Melumalai ghat (coming in from Hosur towards Krishnagiri).
svsantosh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 17:50   #38234
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 damaged by villagers after it hit a buffalo calf

A new video has surfaced showing the villagers damaging Mahindra XUV500 with tractor and stones after it hits a buffalo calf.

https://www.cartoq.com/villagers-dam...buffalo-video/

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capturete.png

As per the post, car owner remained calm and called the police as soon as the accident happened.

Wanted to hear more from our fellow BHPians on how to save from these kind of situations when there is no quick help (mobile network, police station) available.
Old 9th June 2023, 19:31   #38235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
... But this guy wouldn't let go of his phone even while his life was tangling before his eyes.
Many years ago, we were taking some friends to a hospital after their Alto crashed into a tree. The driver who was the least injured, was asking for his shoe which had gotten stuck under the brake pedal. It took him almost a day to get out of that shock and realise that the shoe was the least of his worries after an accident. Shock makes people do such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynummoottil View Post
... it is always better to wait for the Ambulance persons, who are trained, to retrieve persons from within the vehicle, unless there is a fire. Locals, tend to cause more harm to persons who are already gravely injured by trying to manhandle them out.
+1

We should be having a mandatory training on first aid before we get to the point of applying for a learner's license - and it should cover what can be done and to be avoided when one is at a scene of an accident.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed