Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
  Search this Thread
52,052,607 views
Old 20th September 2023, 12:17   #39016
BHPian
 
MyLife_MyCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 237
Thanked: 891 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Bus fishtails in wet road, knocks car off the road to a ditch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sravankrishnan View Post
...possibly because of that genius pedestrian walking on the road even though there was enough space on his right.
It seems the path on the right of the pedestrian is filled with water or mud, hence, no choice for him but to walk on the road.
However, he indeed is a genius and alert road user. Observe him looking over his shoulder when the Terrano crossed him, like he had an intuition that something is about to happen (or simply because one of the vehicles honked, I don't know). And the moment bus hits the car, he starts to run first and then looks back to see what happened.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 12:26   #39017
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 232
Thanked: 947 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
Similar incident, a police vehicle overtaking on a blind curve. Luckily, I was in sedate speed and had just enough room towards my left to move to.
If that is the way you drive always, then hats off. You have shown amazing patience to drive just around or below 60kmph in the entire clip. During my drives to Udupi from Bangalore and back, I see many idiots trying to do 85 or 90kmph on these roads.

Three accidents now on this thread makes me feel sadistically happy. And sad, at the same time. While it vindicates my stand against overtaking from left, blah, blah, it also shows how we Indians are so unwilling to learn. In the Thar accident, at first sight it does look like the Swift was also slightly driven on the edge considering the conditions and possibly was aware of the cars behind. But a second look gives an impression he was trying to avoid the accident as much. But I won't blame him for the accident. It is highly arguable whether the Swift could have done anything at all to avoid the accident, the Thar surely could have.

I recently had a KiA Seltos guy pulling a similar maneuver overtaking about 5 or 6 cars in a crowded road as though he is entitled. Makes my blood boil. In general, I have seen that folks with the CSUV/SUV form factor are the major culprits followed by those driving "cult" Cars known for their power delivery. And as a citizen, I surely don't have an iota of hope that things will improve. With more money flowing into the hands of the younger generations, I see only more and more of such entitled driving. Sad.

Last edited by theabstractmind : 20th September 2023 at 12:42. Reason: Added the comments on Thar
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 12:46   #39018
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Palakkad
Posts: 384
Thanked: 1,170 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
It seems the path on the right of the pedestrian is filled with water or mud, hence, no choice for him but to walk on the road.
However, he indeed is a genius and alert road user. Observe him looking over his shoulder when the Terrano crossed him, like he had an intuition that something is about to happen (or simply because one of the vehicles honked, I don't know). And the moment bus hits the car, he starts to run first and then looks back to see what happened.
Not just mud and water, most likely a viper too (in the thick undergrowth during rains). Most kerala roads leave no room for pedestrians and as a result we have situations like this. All the more reason to slow down and stick to lane not just on curves but every where.
electric_eel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 14:42   #39019
HTC
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 320
Thanked: 1,033 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Received on WA about a fatal fire accident on Bangalore - Mysore Highway. No further details.

Attachment 2505925

XUV300?
Looking at the alloys, it seems to be Hyundai i20. Wondering what caused the fire.
HTC is offline  
Old 20th September 2023, 15:51   #39020
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 8,175
Thanked: 19,910 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
But isn't the SUV the culprit in first place?

Don't you think the bus driver applied brake seeing the car cutting across his lane and to avoid hitting it, and that caused the bus to drift.
Rightly pointed out.The Terrano was slightly to the right side of the empty road (the white dividing line), till its driver suddenly saw the bus and swerved to the road's left. At first sight, the bus driver saw the Terrano moving towards the right and must have applied brakes to save the situation.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 20:17   #39021
BHPian
 
ashivas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 203
Thanked: 975 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Looking at the alloys, it seems to be Hyundai i20. Wondering what caused the fire.
Nope, Mahindra XUV 300 or 400.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20230920-201620.jpg  


Last edited by ashivas89 : 20th September 2023 at 20:21.
ashivas89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 20:51   #39022
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Thiruvannamalai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 903 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
But isn't the SUV the culprit in first place?

Don't you think the bus driver applied brake seeing the car cutting across his lane and to avoid hitting it, and that caused the bus to drift.
I disagree sir.

SUV was slightly off lane because he /she was trying to maintain a safe distance from the pedestrian walking in opposite direction. At the time of impact, car was in its lane.

Both the vehicles were doing average speeds, difficult to blame anyone. I find these contributing factors, wet Road, Lack of ABS in bus?

Regretfully, I would blame the poor pedestrian. He was walking on the road, I assume that the the soil beside the road was wet and muddy.


We need better pedestrian walkways.
tiagoatrix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 21:08   #39023
BHPian
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 12.97N, 77.59E
Posts: 801
Thanked: 2,138 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Received on WA about a fatal fire accident on Bangalore - Mysore Highway. No further details.
Another case of reckless driving leading into a fiery crash...
https://starofmysore.com/former-sold...on-expressway/
SR-71 is offline  
Old 20th September 2023, 21:25   #39024
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 3,489 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
But isn't the SUV the culprit in first place?

Don't you think the bus driver applied brake seeing the car cutting across his lane and to avoid hitting it, and that caused the bus to drift.
After quite a few replays I believe both are at fault.

Bus driver was over speeding on a curve in wet conditions. That's why he couldn't control his bus under hard braking.

Terrano driver was not only over speeding, he went into bus lane for a second which caused bus driver to apply hard brake. We can say Terrano was unlucky but they contributed equally in this mishap. I hope no injuries happened.
harry10 is offline  
Old 20th September 2023, 22:00   #39025
Senior - BHPian
 
balenoed_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: KL14 <> KA01
Posts: 1,777
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Regretfully, I would blame the poor pedestrian. He was walking on the road, I assume that the the soil beside the road was wet and muddy.
We need better pedestrian walkways.
It is easy to blame anything under planet earth as the cause of an accident. The ground reality is always different. It is not practical to have a pedestrian walkways all across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Terrano driver was not only over speeding..
Not sure how do you infer if it was over speeding by just looking at a mere average quality CCTV visual.

Regarding this accident, the maneuvers both of them did is very common and that is the way of life in KL roads. If you have driven in KL roads, you would have done the same umpteen times.

The only reason for this accident is both of them did not account for one factor and how their vehicles would behave in that condition - i.e Wet road.
balenoed_ is offline  
Old 20th September 2023, 23:21   #39026
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd
Posts: 3,513
Thanked: 6,832 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
It is not practical to have a pedestrian walkways all across the country.
I always thought it ought to be fairly straightforward to expect most roads to come with space on either side for pedestrians or even to pull over if it is a country road/state highway. Just out of curiosity, could you explain why it is impractical to expect pedestrian walkways in our country?
IshaanIan is offline  
Old 21st September 2023, 07:55   #39027
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,500
Thanked: 5,366 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
could you explain why it is impractical to expect pedestrian walkways in our country?
One reason is - roads such as these (panchayat roads) are developed, constructed and maintained by state PWD using grant funds like PM-GSY or MP/MLA LADS. The money is almost always insufficient so corners like shoulder space, pedestrian walkways, drainage system etc. are cut routinely.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 13:36   #39028
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 73 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
With the recent rains, there seems to be a sudden increase in the number of accidents in Kerala.
Bus fishtails in wet road, knocks car off the road to a ditch.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=dM51G_Ve_WI
People lacking understanding of the driving dynamics in wet roads.

In a state highways of this kind, I feel nothing amiss. These are ideal situations, including the speeds, limited width two lane, a blind curve, wet tarmac, water puddle on the shoulders, pedestrian on the road, SUV drifting onto oncoming lane (briefly) to keep safe distance from the Pedestrian. And for the Bus driver, I am sure this is not the first time to see an oncoming vehicle on the middle of the road, round the corner. All I guess is, Bus driver had over reacted to the given situation. Had he took off his foot from the brake pedal a little earlier, the mammoth machine would have behaved better.
Street_Smart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:35   #39029
BHPian
 
Neil Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 450
Thanked: 1,646 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
With the recent rains, there seems to be a sudden increase in the number of accidents in Kerala.
Bus fishtails in wet road, knocks car off the road to a ditch.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=dM51G_Ve_WI
People lacking understanding of the driving dynamics in wet roads.
It seems that the major contributing factor to the slide was the condition of the bus tyre combined with rains. With bald tyres, any speed is asking for trouble in rains. In my opinion, the bus driver showed remarkable skills in controlling the fishtail without crashing into the adjacent wall. If there is any mistake that the driver has done intentionally, it is driving a bus with such tyres.
Neil Roy is offline  
Old 21st September 2023, 17:05   #39030
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 3,364
Thanked: 4,953 Times
Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

We've blamed the bus driver, the Terrano driver, the pedestrian, the road builders and the bus maintenance crew so far. Who's gonna add their mother-in-law to the list?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (21) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks