Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 17:44   #4501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No anger for the 15 morons driving too fast to stop?

Dear,

I have been a part of one such pileup last year & belive me i was only driving at 30. Night fog in these areas is so much dense you cannot see you own headlights & there is no way u can see a stationary truck in middle of the way (exactly what happened to us) & 9-10 cars & Suvs were rammed. Thanksfully all were driving slow so no injuries.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:54   #4502
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no "only"... If you cannot see in front of you then you are going too fast; possibly should not be driving at all. We should admit, sometimes, that the forces of nature have us beaten, and that the journey, whatever it is, is simply not important enough to take the risk to ourselves and others.

If a driver runs into a vehicle in front, it is his fault. There is no except in fog/dark/thursdays/whatever.

I'm not saying I never took the risk either, I did. Just don't blame the person/thing in front.
Old 19th January 2010, 19:38   #4503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If a driver runs into a vehicle in front, it is his fault. There is no except in fog/dark/thursdays/whatever.
Except when someone overtakes and brakes right in front of you (i.e. does not leave enough distance between himself and the car behind)
Old 19th January 2010, 23:47   #4504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Wow! TATA vs. TATA - smaller one making such a big dent in the bigger one.. maybe size doesn't matter afterall
The indica i suppose rammed into the last bolt that was holding that truck together...
Old 19th January 2010, 23:52   #4505
Distinguished - BHPian

Point accepted, but still, I'm trying to drive home this business about driving in reduced visibility. I think it is vital. Who would go for a walk on a cliff top if they couldn't see the edge? Can people not accept that driving is as simple and as dangerous as that?
Old 20th January 2010, 10:32   #4506
BHPian

Quote:
There is no "only"... If you cannot see in front of you then you are going too fast; possibly should not be driving at all. We should admit, sometimes, that the forces of nature have us beaten, and that the journey, whatever it is, is simply not important enough to take the risk to ourselves and others.

I'm not saying I never took the risk either, I did. Just don't blame the person/thing in front.
Let me just say this, if you have been to north India then this wouldn't be your perception. I am hereby attaching pics of the dense fog in Delhi to give you a feeler of what it is here. So that next time before blaming the driver, you can take a look at the condition.

Quote:
Point accepted, but still, I'm trying to drive home this business about driving in reduced visibility. I think it is vital. Who would go for a walk on a cliff top if they couldn't see the edge? Can people not accept that driving is as simple and as dangerous as that?
And as for driving through the fog, when somebody has got to go, they have to. There is no two ways about it. People do not enjoy driving through the fog that they will do it for time pass.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc06525.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc06432.jpg  

Old 20th January 2010, 11:00   #4507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Let me just say this, if you have been to north India then this wouldn't be your perception. I am hereby attaching pics of the dense fog in Delhi to give you a feeler of what it is here. So that next time before blaming the driver, you can take a look at the condition.
And as for driving through the fog, when somebody has got to go, they have to. There is no two ways about it. People do not enjoy driving through the fog that they will do it for time pass.
Yes, the fog makes roads dangerous.I have lived in Delhi for 20+ years, and encountered worse fog than those pictures, so I should know.
Butttt, it's still the driver's fault if he rear-ends a vehicle, tree, divider in front. You can't blame the fog and the driver (or the tree, lol) in front. So, hope you get the correct sense of right and wrong here.
If you drive in the fog knowing of the poor visibility and risks, and meet an accident, you can't blame anyone else!!
I think this is what Thad is trying to point out!

Last edited by lancer_rit : 20th January 2010 at 11:02.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:07   #4508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Yes, the fog makes roads dangerous.I have lived in Delhi for 20+ years, and encountered worse fog than those pictures, so I should know.
Butttt, it's still the driver's fault if he rear-ends a vehicle, tree, divider in front. You can't blame the fog and the driver (or the tree, lol) in front. So, hope you get the correct sense of right and wrong here.
If you drive in the fog knowing of the poor visibility and risks, and meet an accident, you can't blame anyone else!!
I think this is what Thad is trying to point out!
+1 to that. The golden rules to be followed here are:-

1. Drive so that you can stop within the area illuminated by your head lamps. If that means driving at 10kmph so be it.

2. Be visible to others !(switch on your head lamps/tail lamps).

You rear end someone, it's your fault. Fog or no fog.

Last edited by longhorn : 20th January 2010 at 11:08.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:30   #4509
Senior - BHPian

KD that is decent fog. I drove home at 0230 today morning. It was SIMPLY crazy!
Old 20th January 2010, 11:39   #4510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Lost my cousin's husband to an accident two weeks back. Late night, group of 5 driving down the Madikeri-Mysore stretch.
Feel very bad to hear such a cruel news. Let the almighty provide the family opportunities to get enough strength to move on with life. Hope the one alive recover well.
Any idea what really happened? Poor visibility or did the driver slept off? Been to Madikeri many times and I see only some real issue with this road. One is difficult to maintain stretches and the other one being poor visibility.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:42   #4511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post

I live here. Infact I go for some karate classes at 5 in the morning 2-3 times a week (including today) and today the fog was much worse than in those pics. I couldn't see beyond 10 metres. I barely touched 20 in those conditions and was mentally prepared to brake at a hint of trouble.

I agree with Thad's comments.
Old 20th January 2010, 18:55   #4512
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support:

No more off topic discussions please. Lets stick to accident pictures only.
Old 20th January 2010, 21:29   #4513
BHPian

Bus

Bus Accident in Haryana
Attached Images

Old 21st January 2010, 09:19   #4514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diecast View Post
Bus Accident in Haryana
Which is the other vehicle? Looks like a sedan.
Old 21st January 2010, 11:03   #4515
BHPian

Today morning i saw a navy blue M800 stranded by the roadside, and it had a lot of smoke coming from the bonnet area and a lot of crackling noise from within, assumedly the car was in early stages of catching fire. The two occupants of the car, a gentleman and his kid were safe and standing far away from the car. Couldnt linger around too much since the crowd started to gather around and traffic was getting affected and i did not want to be part of creating a traffic jam. This was on the route from ejipura to india garage at around 8:45 a.m. Anyone pass this route at this time, any info on what happened to the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks