Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2010, 18:06   #4576
BHPian

Drunk & Drive is the worst... They should have real strict laws against this ...
Old 31st January 2010, 09:47   #4577
BHPian

Two lives were lost, 2 cars were damaged and one young person now has a grim future.

There is a drunk driver involved, but there is also a Taxi taking U-Turn involved. I have no basis on the case, but if this turns out to be the reason for the accident, I would not be surprised.

The Taxis on Mumbai streets are a menace, they rarely have their indicators working, cut-lanes like crazy w/o signals and are generally very slow due to their outdated existence. A disaster waiting to happen especially during the night when the traffic is light and there is a natural urgency to reach your destination faster.
Old 31st January 2010, 10:08   #4578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Drunk & Drive is the worst... They should have real strict laws against this ...
Sorry for the un-parliamentary words...but my blood was in boiling temp while reading this. That ugly drunker should be flogged and hanged in public. There is no need for the stupid court and peanut brain judges/lawyers.
In india, we don't understand the seriousness of DUI

Last edited by mohandas : 31st January 2010 at 10:19.
Old 31st January 2010, 10:11   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
the driver is true to the caption on the truck -0- a Vegetable
You called the (truck) driver a Vegetable even without knowing what happened! Amazing!

What if this is the after effect of a DRUNK IDIOTIC MORON in his souped up car speeding on those hilly roads?

-- Torqy
Old 31st January 2010, 15:50   #4580
Distinguished - BHPian

New Years Eve

Spotted this one on New years eve

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ny.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ny2.jpg
Old 31st January 2010, 16:42   #4581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Sorry for the un-parliamentary words...but my blood was in boiling temp while reading this. That ugly drunker should be flogged and hanged in public. There is no need for the stupid court and peanut brain judges/lawyers.
In india, we don't understand the seriousness of DUI
in India, we don't understand anything. we think we're above the law. we think breaking the law don't hurt nobody. just go out and have a look. dada-giri, corruption, lawlessness - its everywhere.

at least what i've seen in Bangalore is that the cops don't catch you to punish you for breaking the law. they just use it as a means to make money for themselves.

the traffic problem in Bangalore i'll solely attribute it to the traffic police. people have gotten so used to paying money and getting away with it that now people think it is their right to do whatever they feel like doing, even if it includes somebody else paying the price for it.

just downright sad.
Old 31st January 2010, 16:58   #4582
BHPian

The Verna seems to have taken it better than the WagonR. Since this was witnessed first hand, can you comment whether this happened at a junction or a two lane (divider-less) highway?
Old 1st February 2010, 14:34   #4583
Senior - BHPian

Another case of a drunk girl involving herself in an accident. check out this article.
Airhostess crashes car, battles for life - Kolkata - City - The Times of India
The airhostess rammed the car into a signal post. She is in critical condition
Old 1st February 2010, 14:40   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Another case of a drunk girl involving herself in an accident. check out this article.
Airhostess crashes car, battles for life - Kolkata - City - The Times of India
The airhostess rammed the car into a signal post. She is in critical condition
Article says that there were 2 youths also in the car but in the back seat , so does it mean that she was the only one sitting in the front..sounds very strange. Hope she makes it for her marriage.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:47   #4585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Holy Grail in Indian motoring: Always expect the unexpected. This will cut reaction times and accidents drastically.

Yes! You said it. Following this simple guideline will make your drive far less accident prone.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:52   #4586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Article says that there were 2 youths also in the car but in the back seat , so does it mean that she was the only one sitting in the front..sounds very strange. Hope she makes it for her marriage.
Even if she does, the case would be in the media hype then, and probably she would be under trial. Anyway, as long as there is no fear of punishment and you can pay off the cops, all offenses would continue to remain "chalta hai" stuff.
Old 1st February 2010, 15:52   #4587
Senior - BHPian

This one month old wagon R belongs to a lady doctor.

She told me it was banged up by her husband when he rammed a demo scorpio, which he was test driving to replace his 2003 old scorpio with a new one.

Only the bull bar of the demo scorpio sustained damages with a broken front headlight, not else. And look at the wagon R here. This incident occured in my locality as the doctor had called for the scorpio test drive at his home itself yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02061.jpg  

Old 1st February 2010, 15:59   #4588
Senior - BHPian

I'm curious but what happens if you crash a car when its being TDed? Do the dealers have insurance for it or are you expected to pay for it or is a combination?
Old 1st February 2010, 16:16   #4589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
in India, we don't understand anything. we think we're above the law. we think breaking the law don't hurt nobody. just go out and have a look. dada-giri, corruption, lawlessness - its everywhere.

at least what i've seen in Bangalore is that the cops don't catch you to punish you for breaking the law. they just use it as a means to make money for themselves.

the traffic problem in Bangalore i'll solely attribute it to the traffic police. people have gotten so used to paying money and getting away with it that now people think it is their right to do whatever they feel like doing, even if it includes somebody else paying the price for it.

just downright sad.
I completely agree with this statement. Bangalore Police are probably the most corrupt in India and will do anything for a few hundred rupees.
A few weeks ago i was traveling along with one of friends who had driven from Chennai. His vehicle was a TN registration and as we were on our way to Whitefield, the cops near KR Puram flyover pull us over and start asking for documents. Then they ask for Emission. He has the TN emission, but they insisted on a KA emission. I mean, he was in Bangalore for just 2 days. Do we need KA emission for a TN vehicle for a 2 day trip? End result was a Rs100 spot fine, with no challan whatsoever! I mean, this is really sad. I am glad they have blackberries now, so that will limit the amount of corruption. But on drunken driving, i think its pointless making things strict. People will never realize the danger they put themselves and others into. Going to extremes is not right. People have the right to drink, but not getting behind the wheel after drinking. Its high time they introduce road safety as part of high school curriculum. That's the only way to curb it i guess. Those charged with drunken driving, should be forced to serve 1 month of social service such as cleaning streets or giving seminars at schools/colleges. They should be made to feel embarrassed for what they have done.
Old 1st February 2010, 16:21   #4590
BHPian

@McLaren Rulez,

To my understanding, i dont think we will have to pay for it as whenever i do the test drive i would ask the Guy, how much rash i can drive?( as a word of precautions) cos i would love to test the car on the potholes and speedbreakers. He would say no issues this is a test drive car... ( hope he would have thought that there wont be a pothole that is much deeper than the wheel size and base:P)

Most Viewed