Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2010, 09:30   #5056
BHPian

That XYlo crash looks real horrible. He must have been doing speeds far in excess of 100kph. Without knowing how the vehicle handles, it is downright stupid to drive fast. People never learn.
Old 7th March 2010, 15:57   #5057
ada
BHPian

After motor-cycle pests, now a days in addition we have to deal with SUV bully's. With a bigger car they think they can brow beat any other small vehicle, I guess people buy SUV not out of necessity, but to accommodate their bigger egos, and that reflects in their driving.
Old 7th March 2010, 16:40   #5058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
After motor-cycle pests, now a days in addition we have to deal with SUV bully's. With a bigger car they think they can brow beat any other small vehicle, I guess people buy SUV not out of necessity, but to accommodate their bigger egos, and that reflects in their driving.

My experience on driving on NH-47: If you're in a car, and you see a Scorpio/Xylo/Qualis/Sumo with a flag on the bonnet and bearing a TN/AP registration coming from the opposite direction, it's better to give way. They are outright reckless, turn on the headlights demanding us to give way even if there's no room for them to overtake, and rarely show or heed signals
Old 7th March 2010, 17:31   #5059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
My experience on driving on NH-47: If you're in a car, and you see a Scorpio/Xylo/Qualis/Sumo with a flag on the bonnet and bearing a TN/AP registration coming from the opposite direction, it's better to give way. They are outright reckless, turn on the headlights demanding us to give way even if there's no room for them to overtake, and rarely show or heed signals
Innovas also..
TN, AP and ofcourse the yellow regn plates..
NH 17 and NH 47 in Kerala are like fast city roads...
Old 7th March 2010, 17:32   #5060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Thats the MLA from Kerala Alphonse Kannanthanam with his crashed scorpio. The News paper says he was trying to overtake a speeding bus when the bus suddenly banked right. The car tumbled over the divider/median and rolled twice. The MLA who was driving the car escaped even without a scratch.
Pardon me... but the Scorpio now looks like a Xylo! Now I know where they got the design for the Xylo from. (Apologies to Xylo owners I you find this offending).
Old 7th March 2010, 17:43   #5061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Lesson learnt: Don't bother to stop your vehicle if you're cent-percent sure that it's not your fault. You will end up in trouble otherwise.
that's exactly why people don't stop after an accident coz even if it's not your fault, the people will make it yours!

sorry to hear what happened with your dad. in Malayalam, that biker would be classified as "nanni illyatha vargham"!

that's "the ungrateful species" for the not so mallus
Old 7th March 2010, 19:28   #5062
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Where this happened? Near Kochi, on NH47?
Eramalloor, Aroor, NH47
Old 7th March 2010, 19:48   #5063
Distinguished - BHPian

How can anyone have an accident, and quite a nasty one, on the private road inside the Chennai Trade Centre grounds?

When I drove past on my way in, they were rigging a recovery truck to pull the car off the central median. I saw that the bonnet was badly bent up. It was a busy day, and it took some time for me to park. By the time I walked back, they were already towing the car away.

My mind has gone blank on what kind of car it was (Esteem, maybe?) all that is stuck in my brain is that it was black, had headrests marked "Ferrari" (for their safety, that is one driver that should change their fantasy maybe), but most of all, the two damaged areas of the windshield where the heads would have struck. Nothing could drive home the seat belt message harder. Wear them: where-ever you are, even in a car park.

Anyone know what happened here?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th March 2010 at 19:49.
Old 7th March 2010, 20:31   #5064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Eramalloor, Aroor, NH47
Its one of the most dangerous roads in Kerala (4line NH-47 from Aroor to Cherthala). The road is so straight and wide, so people used to fly their ride through the road. Most of the accidents happens when people try to avoid unexpected pond like portholes and peoples and animals who runs across the road . If you are riding through that road always expect the unexpected to happen.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:44   #5065
Senior - BHPian

7th March 2010, 2 Govt Buses, 1 Idiotic driver on cellphone, 5 Women dead

I saw this accident about 2 hours after the moment of impact. 2-3 police jeeps and lot of media and villagers helping around it.

Learnt from todays paper, the moron on the left (pic) who got minimal damage was on CellPhone!! The good guy ended up taking the brunt!!!

This was on a turn with a angle. The turn is needed for the legendery Indian Highway tree due to which 1000's of accidents happen!! We just cant have straight roads!!

The good guy was going up the slope doing a left turn. The bad guy was approaching the slope + right turn. Looks like he turned a good 20 feet soon, and ripped the good guy open!! Baddy was smart enough to avoid much damage to his bus - but damage was done...

Paper says - 5 women died. Not clear on why 10 names with ages are written out.

The ride back to blore was filled with this image in mind. RIP!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pic.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-text.jpg  

Last edited by svsantosh : 8th March 2010 at 12:47.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:52   #5066
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Paper says - 5 women died. Not clear on why 10 names with ages are written out.
Oh man that is such a horrible sight.

When deaths are reported mostly women/children are mentioned. So if it mentioned 5 women and 10 dead alltogether. It means there were 5 men killed too. I had a churning feel in my stomach writing this para.
Old 8th March 2010, 13:20   #5067
Senior - BHPian

OMG, this is too much. We were just speaking on this cross road on other thread named "divider required or not". Everyone were telling that divider is a life saver. After seeing this I am sure that everyone will say YES to the dividers at the crossing/hair pin bends.

Last edited by shishir_bn : 8th March 2010 at 13:36.
Old 8th March 2010, 13:26   #5068
Senior - BHPian

Those 10 names are of the people badly injured.
It says, of the those 10 names, 3 women with names and 1 more unidentified woman died in the hospital. And the (5th with name) one died on the way to a bigger hospital.

I am surprised how the driver escaped.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 8th March 2010 at 13:31.
Old 8th March 2010, 15:00   #5069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I saw this accident about 2 hours after the moment of impact. 2-3 police jeeps and lot of media and villagers helping around it.

This was on a turn with a angle. The turn is needed for the legendery Indian Highway tree due to which 1000's of accidents happen!! We just cant have straight roads!!
Where this happened?
Old 8th March 2010, 15:12   #5070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Innovas also..
TN, AP and ofcourse the yellow regn plates..
NH 17 and NH 47 in Kerala are like fast city roads...
Color of the numberplate doesn't matter. Missed out the Innova.

NH-17 are NH-47 are like city roads. I find it hard to do a 60kmph for more than a few hundred metres, on the stretch between Palakkad and Thrissur, unless I'm driving like a maniac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
that's exactly why people don't stop after an accident coz even if it's not your fault, the people will make it yours!

sorry to hear what happened with your dad. in Malayalam, that biker would be classified as "nanni illyatha vargham"!

that's "the ungrateful species" for the not so mallus
+1 to that

I was reading a thread on dividers, and got reminded of a small incident that happened a few days back in the North Usman road flyover in T-Nagar. It was late at night, after ten. I was in a bus, and as always the driver was inches away from the flexible dividers on the road. Some bikers were trying to overtake from the right side, thru the other lane. A member of the fairer sex without a helmet on an Activa zipped by. The signal turned red, and she bumped on the back of another bike that had stopped on the wrong side. For a moment I was wondering if the rules of the road got changed. Because the bus started moving by then, I couldn't find out what happened after that.

Most Viewed