Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 11:15   #5311
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
This morning paper carried this freak accident.
The guy was surely testing Darwin's Theory here and he proved most of it as correct except the survival part. Maybe he will give it a try again. This time waiting for a train to show up. The rest of our lot will be a safer bunch if such people are eliminated.

This is what happens when dumb folks try to get infront of everyone else on our roads.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:28   #5312
Senior - BHPian

I want to start a campaign for safety and plead to every manufacturer to make ABS and dual airbags standard on ALL variants of all cars sold here. Sales of cars that fail to comply with the minimum safety standards should be banned.

Let the price go up, and let people get aware and pay extra for safety. Unfortunately, the Indian car market lags light years behind when it comes to ocupent safety and some companies continue to sell prehistoric products here and people continue to buy it.
When will we learn? Isn't this thread enough?
Old 9th April 2010, 11:37   #5313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
The ToI article is here.

My thoughts:
1. Even if people shouted at the driver to stop, he would not have heard because his windows were rolled up. And everybody would roll up their windows and keep the A/C running in the Chennai heat.
2. I don't know why the paper always has to say "speeding" and "rash driving". We don't know what speed the Scorpio was driving at, and this could have happened even if he was driving within the speed limit and saw the road ending ahead of him too late.
3. The case has been book against the driver? Unbelievable! The case should have been booked against the officials who did not leave a barricade or warning signs.
This accident happened at 11:10 AM which is peak time, In Chennai - he must have at least realized that at that time why there are no vehicles running on that stretch
Old 9th April 2010, 11:40   #5314
Distinguished - BHPian

Where in the world is a flyover to space left unfinished for years? Where in the world is such a flyover left open? Apparently ropes were put ...and stolen.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:01   #5315
Senior - BHPian

Not to sound funny, but if it is as in case of an action movie, more acceleration could have landed him on the other side of the bridge. Anyway, the fact that he came out alive is now a advertisement material for M&M.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:09   #5316
Senior - BHPian

Hahahahaa@the flying scorpio

Reminds me of the song from the movie Crazy Heart:
"Funny how falling feels like flying... for a little while"

Maybe he was trying this theory out.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:12   #5317
Senior - BHPian

I think the guy driving the Scorpio may have just seen the CBZ Extreme ad & was unconsciously emulating it - you know the one where the rider crosses over ferries, tracts of ocean or whatever & ends with the words "Thinking is such a waste of time"

Last edited by suman : 9th April 2010 at 12:14.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:26   #5318
BHPian

@cardeepIt seems that police-wallahs were more interested in minting money from rich family than saving the middle class old man.

Delhi needs better Police Men/Women not only for CWG, but generally: No comments on that because most of the people would prefer to give bribe instead of getting a challan, just walk off by paying money.

Public around the incident could have also helped the oldy, however, they were busy in watching/touching a beemer, and on the top of it, no one wants to get into an accident case.

{i remember 1 friend of mine helped an old couple (sum car hit the old couple, and they were in a 2 wheeler)by taking them to a hospital in new delhi at 1am, and the police man was rude to my friend, that if the person who hit the 2 wheeler didnt stop, why did you stop, he wanted to say that my friend had hit them}

But thats Delhi for you my friend..Welcome..

Last edited by Mpower : 9th April 2010 at 21:29.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:26   #5319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Not to sound funny, but if it is as in case of an action movie, more acceleration could have landed him on the other side of the bridge. Anyway, the fact that he came out alive is now a advertisement material for M&M.
Remember the scene from "Speed" where they made the bus fly???

But, good that it landed the way it did; any other angle would have been fatal! Look at the roof, the pillars seems to have collapsed on the impact force!
Old 9th April 2010, 12:30   #5320
Senior - BHPian

the BMW crash is sad, HT has carried all the details of the story. The flying scorpio, I fail to understand on what sense does the police register case against the driver ? If he drove over a road and fell down what was his fault ? Shouldnt he sue the corporation for endangering his and others lives at risk, ask from them for the damages etc. This can happen only in India where the aggrieved party is penalised.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:14   #5321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
BTW, no roads or any public places are meant for defecating or urinating. If the old man could has held is (nature) urges & walk 5-10 to his home he would have been alive.
Interesting observation.. at the risk of sounding as if I am advocating publicly defecating or urinating , had the deceased not taken that route for morning walk, or for that matter, had not stepped out of his house for his quota of morning walk, or better still, had never indulged in the healthy (though turned out to be deadly for him) habit of going out on morning walks in the first place, he would have been alive!

Sir, there are way too many ifs in life and that doesn't mean one would stop living his everyday life (of course I am not talking about public defecating or urinating) because if he does abc, he could die.. or if he does xyz, he could again die!
Old 9th April 2010, 13:46   #5322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
@cardeepIt seems that police-wallahs were more interested in minting money from rich family than saving the middle class old man.

Delhi needs better Police Men/Women not only for CWG, but generally: No comments on that because most of the people would prefer to give bribe instead of getting a challan, just walk off by paying money.

Public around the incident could have also helped the oldy, however, they were busy in watching/touching a beemer, and on the top of it, no one wants to get into an accident case.

{i remember 1 friend of mine helped an old couple (sum car hit the old couple, and they were in a 2 wheeler)by taking them to a hospital in new delhi at 1am, and the police man was rude to my friend, that if the person who hit the 2 wheeler didnt stop, why did you stop, he wanted to say that my friend had hit them}

But thats Delhi for you my friend..Welcome..
We all know that, those people who blocked traffic or as a matter of fact passed from that road at the time never did care to take the deceased to hospital, but rather preferred to watch the man suffer & die. Pity isn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Interesting observation.. at the risk of sounding as if I am advocating publicly defecating or urinating , had the deceased not taken that route for morning walk, or for that matter, had not stepped out of his house for his quota of morning walk, or better still, had never indulged in the healthy (though turned out to be deadly for him) habit of going out on morning walks in the first place, he would have been alive!

Sir, there are way too many ifs in life and that doesn't mean one would stop living his everyday life (of course I am not talking about public defecating or urinating) because if he does abc, he could die.. or if he does xyz, he could again die!
... that fate my dear.

But, I still do not advocate urinating/ defecating on road.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:50   #5323
BHPian

Read this newsreport of an accident on the Worli Sealink. Cannot imagine how the guys got saves seeing the condition of the vehicle. Car manufacturer should take credit !!
Lucky escape for speeding Mumbai teens
Old 9th April 2010, 13:56   #5324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Read this newsreport of an accident on the Worli Sealink. Cannot imagine how the guys got saves seeing the condition of the vehicle. Car manufacturer should take credit !!
I saw the car. Bad shape. Happened on worli sea face not sea link.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:57   #5325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
From the report
Quote:
"We are investigating the case. The boy was speeding and he seems to have lost control. We still have to conduct a test to find out if he was intoxicated," said U K Mane, duty officer, Worli police station.
What are they waiting for? For him to get sober if he is drunk? Ze Germans??

Last edited by amitoj : 9th April 2010 at 14:05.

Most Viewed