Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 15:53   #5551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
13 in a scorpio ...even if there were couple of infants..11 is also too much. Have read lots of accidents by the way of ramming into stationery vehicles at early mornings.

Is that so much of blood on the shattered windscreen ?!
Old 30th April 2010, 16:47   #5552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
13 in a scorpio ...even if there were couple of infants..11 is also too much. Have read lots of accidents by the way of ramming into stationery vehicles at early mornings.
Surprised? Few months ago there were 13 in a Santro, also in TN, broke the divider, went to the other side and I think 7 or 8 died. These kind of people are insanely ignorant about the dangers.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:12   #5553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteem View Post
It happens that to pray for half a minute, people travel 12 or more hours and would like to start back immediately!! So the rest time for the driver will be very less in those pilgrimages.
Not to mention waiting for hours in the queue to pray for that half a minute. This also adds to fatigue.
Old 1st May 2010, 08:10   #5554
Distinguished - BHPian

The route to Vailankanni is very dangerous. Private buses (Especially the ones from Kerala) fly through these roads. I have personally seen many close calls. People from Kerala, you can now use the train to Nagore and get a taxi to Vailankanni.
Old 1st May 2010, 10:02   #5555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The route to Vailankanni is very dangerous. Private buses (Especially the ones from Kerala) fly through these roads. I have personally seen many close calls. People from Kerala, you can now use the train to Nagore and get a taxi to Vailankanni.
if you think these bus drivers are rash on inter-city routes, you should see them driving in-the-city routes! in Thrissur, the private bus drivers drive like they're riding two wheelers, cutting in and out of traffic, close overtaking and the sort.

if these idiots were competing in F1, they would have won each and every race!
Old 1st May 2010, 10:05   #5556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
if you think these bus drivers are rash on inter-city routes, you should see them driving in-the-city routes! in Thrissur, the private bus drivers drive like they're riding two wheelers, cutting in and out of traffic, close overtaking and the sort.

if these idiots were competing in F1, they would have won each and every race!

True. My mom is from Thrissur. I know these guys are even horrible. Same with cochin.
I think Karun Chandhok should see these guys and learn.
Old 1st May 2010, 10:35   #5557
BHPian

Horrifying accident today morning at Chennai-Bangalore route

Most of us who travel between Chennai and Bangalore know the state of Chennai-Bangalore route via Chitoor. Road work is on from long time, till chitoor it is only diversions, diversions and only diversions. And today morning (4:00 am) at one such diversion life of six people traveling in an Indica (taxi) got struck under the wheels of KSRTC Bus – three ladies died, one man and driver seriously injured and a lone survivor with minor injuries was a kid.

As I heard, it was taxi driver’s mistake. He took a catnap and all this happened. The car was coming from Ramnagarama towards Chitoor. Due to ongoing road work traffic was on in a single lane. I guess both car and bus were on high speed. Though not much damage to Bus, car was beyond recognition. I was traveling from Chennai to Bangalore in another KSRTC Bus. And we reached spot after 10 minutes of accident. Due to darkness it was very difficult to see any thing, all relief operations were carried on in Bus’s light. Right side of Indica was completely crumpled. When I went near to the car, I saw a lady was raising her hand and trying to lift her body. She tried once but failed. Her legs were badly stuck under driver’s seat. Everyone was helplessly watching her. I moved little forward and saw the horror, the driver was also stuck in his place. His face was covered with blood and shattered glass pieces. Entire A pillar, steering, dash board were resting on his stomach. His head poped-out from front windshield area and resting on the crumpled roof. Later police and local people brought a crowbar and lifted driver’s seat a little and pulled the lady out. But she was dead by that time. There was one more lady inside. She was already dead.

The difficult part was to remove driver from the mangled car. Police used nylon rope tied on A pillar of the car and other end on a truck to pull the driver out. After half an hour of struggle they removed driver and sent him to hospital.

I hope the man and the driver will survive, though not sure about driver’s leg.

Please be very careful while driving, especially at night and early morning.

it's a request

Drive safe
Old 1st May 2010, 11:25   #5558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
Most of us who travel between Chennai and Bangalore know the state of Chennai-Bangalore route via Chitoor. Road work is on from long time, till chitoor it is only diversions, diversions and only diversions. And today morning (4:00 am) at one such diversion life of six people traveling in an Indica (taxi) got struck under the wheels of KSRTC Bus – three ladies died, one man and driver seriously injured and a lone survivor with minor injuries was a kid.

As I heard, it was taxi driver’s mistake. He took a catnap and all this happened. The car was coming from Ramnagarama towards Chitoor. Due to ongoing road work traffic was on in a single lane. I guess both car and bus were on high speed. Though not much damage to Bus, car was beyond recognition. I was traveling from Chennai to Bangalore in another KSRTC Bus. And we reached spot after 10 minutes of accident. Due to darkness it was very difficult to see any thing, all relief operations were carried on in Bus’s light. Right side of Indica was completely crumpled. When I went near to the car, I saw a lady was raising her hand and trying to lift her body. She tried once but failed. Her legs were badly stuck under driver’s seat. Everyone was helplessly watching her. I moved little forward and saw the horror, the driver was also stuck in his place. His face was covered with blood and shattered glass pieces. Entire A pillar, steering, dash board were resting on his stomach. His head poped-out from front windshield area and resting on the crumpled roof. Later police and local people brought a crowbar and lifted driver’s seat a little and pulled the lady out. But she was dead by that time. There was one more lady inside. She was already dead.

The difficult part was to remove driver from the mangled car. Police used nylon rope tied on A pillar of the car and other end on a truck to pull the driver out. After half an hour of struggle they removed driver and sent him to hospital.

I hope the man and the driver will survive, though not sure about driver’s leg.

Please be very careful while driving, especially at night and early morning.

it's a request

Drive safe
that's just horrible! may their souls rest in peace.

folks, please don't take long drives casually. highway driving is VERY DIFFERENT from city driving. one has to be twice as alert when driving on highways. also, it is imperative that the driver have ample rest before undertaking such drives.

as a rule:
- i make sure at least one co-passenger is awake and he/she makes sure that i don't doze off.
- if i'm sleepy, pull the car off the road and take a nap.
- don't play slow/melodious music which puts me to sleep.
- have a flask of hot coffee/tea and take regular sips at regular intervals.
- long drives can give you cramps. make short stops and stretch my limbs.

remember, the lives of the passengers and yours is in YOUR hands. don't fail them!

Old 1st May 2010, 15:48   #5559
Senior - BHPian

thats a very gory accident you witnessed. Now I can confidently say No to my moms thought of doing 7-8 temples visit including Vaishodevi in a hired cab. This is just suicide, so much driving without thinking of drivers rest.

I once did night driving and it was really very hard to be awake after 4AM. I know now what to avoid during night drives (sleep OR driving seat) (one cant avoid sleep, so better avoid driving seat)
Old 1st May 2010, 16:53   #5560
Team-BHP Support

This is what happened right in front of my house the day before yesterday. We heard a very loud crashing noise at around 6:30pm followed by a flash of light! What sounded like a gelatin-stick exploding was actually a dumper-truck that was being driven like it's a hot hatch and it whammed straight into the beautiful tree right in front of my house! The driver's forehead had opened up a bit and the cops arrived at the scene in 5 minutes flat. Along with the tree, the power and the phone-lines had gone down for an hour or so.

Imagine the speed which he would've been doing! He was fast enough to uproot the tree almost clean off the road! And 10 minutes earlier, I had parked my car right there but decided to park it elsewhere! My car would've been totaled too!

Here are a few pictures at the scene and the next day after the authorities cleared the debris.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-290420101515.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-290420101520.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-290420101522.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-29042010006.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-29042010007.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-290420101513.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-010520101526.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-010520101527.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-010520101528.jpg

As you can see from the picture below, the sheer force of the truck has actually damaged the street as well! A part of the road had literally been yanked off along with the root! Notice the gaping slit.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-010520101529.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st May 2010 at 17:11.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:34   #5561
BHPian

Today I was driving to Greater Noida and spotted a white Octavia which was in bad shape. I passed it and then noticed in rear-view mirror that it had t-bhp's stickers. I immediately reversed the card about 200 meters and checked whether they needed any help. But there was nobody with the car only few people collecting strewn vegetables from road. I enquired and they told me that Octavia rear-ended a veggie-carrying three whealer and turtled.

Here are a few pics -

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0163.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0164.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0165.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0166.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0161.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0162.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st May 2010 at 19:39. Reason: Blanking plates
Old 1st May 2010, 17:41   #5562
BHPian

^ That's a bad crash there. Hope that the TBHPian is safe. The car is totaled, should be considered as a total loss. I don't think one should repair such a badly damaged car, leave alone a Skoda.

Last edited by prateekm : 1st May 2010 at 17:42.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:42   #5563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I am no animal lover but even I will try to save the animal. How am I responsible for the moron who's rear-ends into me?

In this case the guy behind has to be speeding and tail-gating for the Innova to reach such a state. So he was the moron.
Thank you for the bickering ... but unless the examples you have sighted like an idiot who cannot hear (but see), or an elephant (which cannot be seen by those at the tail of my car), I won't be endangering the life of my co-passengers or damage to my car for a slithery creature the adobe of which has been encroached upon by us humans when the Govt hasn't put in efforts for the wildlife protection (after collecting Land Development Charges from each of the inhabitants of the area).

Probably if I try to drive on I would drive over the snake without harming the creature.

Please note that it is my opinion & would never want to hurt the sentiments of any animal lover.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:54   #5564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Today I was driving to Greater Noida and spotted a white Octavia which was in bad shape. I passed it and then noticed in rear-view mirror that it had t-bhp's stickers. I immediately reversed the card about 200 meters and checked whether they needed any help. But there was nobody with the car only few people collecting strewn vegetables from road. I enquired and they told me that Octavia rear-ended a veggie-carrying three whealer and turtled.

Here are a few pics -
He is a fellow. Please check the details to see who is unlucky one.

Hope everything is fine with the guy & his family. The road to Gr Noida is very spacious & smooth leading to few tempted to drive the vehicle out of control. Add to this there are few villagers who seem to have forgot the fact that that area is no longer what it used to be 10 years ago.

Somewhat similar happened few years ago when I was returning from my native place. I was driving my Xing around 90 kmph when a Esteem whizzed past me. It must be doing over 140 kmph. After almost half an hour drive we saw the Esteem overturned in the farms (got out of control while trying to avoid something on the road) & the family helped out by the villagers.
The driver (the father) injured (minor injury) & shaken, the wife same but stunned, one of the kid was also injured in the leg & one kid dead with broken neck-bone, all because the father wanted to enjoy the drive on NH1.

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd May 2010 at 13:15. Reason: Correcting grammar
Old 1st May 2010, 19:32   #5565
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a long time since I have posted an example of the late Thad's Dad's driving wisdom. On one of my first ever experiences of driving on a public road, I turned a corner to see a few birds in the road and slammed the breaks on! Even though my family were animals lovers to the extreme, I got a real telling off for this. For a child, yes: for a bird, no, you do not do that!

An even deeper lesson, though, is that one should know, always, who is behind and how close they are.

And... ... How about a Team-BHP campaign against tailgating?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks