Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 10:18   #6241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Guys the ritz rolled over just once and when it was taking the turn it was at about 50kmph (since i was behind him 2-3 car lengths for last 2 kms) and it landed on th eleft side tyres pretty badly.The driver was hurt pretty badly (no seatbelts) ,passenger had some sharpnel injury from side glass.
Trust me, it will take good amount of negligent driving to land up in such a state. I am a firm believer in the fact that a car always gives you enough vibes if she is losing control. I drive an Indica Vista, though she is not exactly a tall boy but i have always felt she gets unstable on curves and hence make it a point that i slow down. Some cars cant be driven like others, its as simple as that. If you want loads of head room and want to sit taller don't expect great handling.

Last edited by gurudutt : 1st July 2010 at 10:19.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:26   #6242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Guys the ritz rolled over just once and when it was taking the turn it was at about 50kmph (since i was behind him 2-3 car lengths for last 2 kms) and it landed on th eleft side tyres pretty badly.The driver was hurt pretty badly (no seatbelts) ,passenger had some sharpnel injury from side glass.
If that was the speed it was doing for real, we should have more of toppled Ritzs here.

Why are the left side of the front and rear axles bent so badly?

There is definitely something wrong here.

@Ayan: Though the ZXi comes with 185 section tyres, they suck. (JK Vectras)
Old 1st July 2010, 11:15   #6243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Does the airbag open if we hit , say a wall at 15-20 mph? (3)
Regarding air bags, the type of impact also matters. I was going through the manual of my Swift a few days back and it has pictures showing when the air bag will activate and when it will not. For example, a rear end collision will not actiavte the air bag. Sugest that you go through the manual to get a better understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
I am a firm believer in the fact that a car always gives you enough vibes if she is losing control.
. The car may not be a living thing but it still talks to you. It's just like the olden days when people used horses and bullocks. If you love your "animal", respect it and treat it well, it will serve you faithfully for life.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:25   #6244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
@Ayan: Though the ZXi comes with 185 section tyres, they suck. (JK Vectras)
Wouldn't it be less likely for a car to topple if it lost grip and started to slide? If your tyres don't have grip, you can't make sharp turns and will therefore not topple, but slide wide instead. I thought that cars were engineered to behave this way at most speeds to ensure that rollovers occur as rarely as possible.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:31   #6245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
I am a firm believer in the fact that a car always gives you enough vibes if she is losing control.
Actually "loosing it" can be very quick.

The vibe that told me that the car wasn't going to make it around an unexpected sharp curve was that the car was moving sideways along the side of the road. Luckily there was a roadside and my car stopped before it hit anything.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:50   #6246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Is your surname Bond by any chance?
Oh how i wish! Imagine all the fancy cars and girls! *sigh*

OT: The easiest way to topple a tall-boy car is by taking a sudden sharp turn at around 60-70 and slamming the brakes.
Old 1st July 2010, 16:33   #6247
BHPian

last night at vellara junction on richmond road i saw a van runinto a private bus when it was forced to brake suddenly. reason , an uncle cut across the buss from its left side to go to the right .
result - the van's left frond was badly damaged, didn see any1 in that seat though .
there was a scorpio behind the van, probably the strong disc brakes on the scorpio prevented it from running into the van from behind .
somebody's mistake and some1 else pays the price.
sorry, i wasn able to click any snaps, just saw it happen in front of my very eyes .
Old 1st July 2010, 17:45   #6248
Senior - BHPian

Wife's co-worker's wife passed away :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

This is the remains of a Blore-Kerala (pathanamthitta) Kallada travels bus which which met an accident near Salem. I had two of my friends traveling in it, fortunately the only ones who escaped completely unhurt.he said he saw the tail of the truck just by his side after the impact!!! so so close!!!!

As per their narration => The driver was feverish right from the onset and they had heard the co-driver asking him if needed to drive. Driver was running on an antibiotic it seems which made him drowsy and eventually ran the bus into a stationary truck late night when he slept at the wheels!. Completely irresponsible and careless behavior from Kallada travels to play with the lives of innocent people.

And the worse part => My friend who was still stuck inside crying for help says, three Kallada buses passed through and none stopped to help. Eventually a car driver came up with a rod, broke open the glass and pulled him out.

Such is the mentality of some travels in here in South India. Hats off! And the media, who cover everything, 'miss' such things too often. Travels mafia playing big hand?

Here is the malayalam news link :-
Mathrubhumi - ??????? ????????, ????? ?????????? ???????
Just learnt from my wife that her friend's wife of '3' months passed away in this

She came to bangy to see the new home that her hubby had bought for them post wedding, she was to settle in bangy once the house warming was over.

They both hardly lived a life together in the 1st 3mths of wedding, were looking forward to the new life until this!!!
Old 1st July 2010, 18:00   #6249
Senior - BHPian

Oh may God! My heart goes out to the family. So much pain and suffering due to human error. God knows how many families are destroyed in that and such accidents.
Old 1st July 2010, 19:24   #6250
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Aint that just brilliant! He buys a top of the line Zxi with ABS and Airbags, but doesnt even bother to wear seatbelts! If this had been a head-on collision the airbag would have contributed its bit to injuring the driver further! For the life of me I cant figure out why we Indians dont bother with seatbelts.

What i found surprising was that there were no airbags deployed in the Ritz .And i am absolutely sure that there no airbags deployed .I wonder why ?
Probably Maruti decided to cost cut on the number of sensors :-(
Old 1st July 2010, 19:53   #6251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Your concerns about Indian car safety standards vis-a-vis Europe etc are very justified, however I think at least in the case of the Ritz we cant blame Maruti-Suzuki of any negligence. Since this very same car is sold in Europe, I am sure it went through the Elk rollover test etc before sale commenced over there. And we do have the same latest generation car here.
aHowever Trust_in_Thrust's point is still very much valid. For two cars with everything else being the same - same manufacturer, same mechanicals, same generation product etc, the tallboy would be more susceptible to rollovers (was talking about Swift and Ritz, and Swift doesnt even have that low a stance). Agreed that tallboy designs are extremely useful in liberating space, but I still cant figure out why there is SO much unnecessary headroom in some tallboys. The Wagon R roof could have been 6 inches lower and it wouldnt have bothered anyone. And Maruti actually went ahead and chopped the roof of the Versa down by a few inches when creating the Eco. So why did the old Versa, or the Wagon R have so much headroom in the first place?
</p>
I drive a Swift and feels that in high speeds and on stock tyres the Swift is not a very safe car especially when you are forced to change directions. Om modified rubbers it could be better than in a stock car.
Old 1st July 2010, 21:14   #6252
Distinguished - BHPian

In what can be called a freak accident yesterday in Amravati (Mah) this Maruti Omni was being brought back after repairs by the owner and his friend.They stopped near a "paan" kiosk when it started raining heavily.Apart from the duo who were seated in the van, three vegetable vendors got into the Omni to save themselves from the rains.A tree suddenly fell down on the van. Seeing the tree fall down the owner and his friend jumped out.The owner however sustained serious injuries and is in a critical condition. The vegetable vendors got trapped-one died on the spot while the two others sustained serious injuries.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc05550.jpg
The Omni has shown its true, inborn properties- getting thatched, flattened and turning into the ductile sheet metal of cold rolled steel, from which it was originally made. It is meant to transport people - not to protect them from impacts!
Old 1st July 2010, 21:17   #6253
BHPian

@Trust_In_Thrust

this car was the one near DC chowk, Rohini right?? even i saw it in the morning, there were glass bits everywhere on the road.
Old 1st July 2010, 21:31   #6254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Omni has shown its true, inborn properties- getting thatched, flattened and turning into the ductile sheet metal of cold rolled steel, from which it was originally made. It is meant to transport people - not to protect them from impacts!
Agreed that it has cardboard above but I'm not sure which car has the capacity to bear that tree fall. Yeah, maybe in some other car there would not have been a death but the roof would have caved in a big way for sure. Thats a big maybe.
Old 1st July 2010, 22:10   #6255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Agreed that it has cardboard above but I'm not sure which car has the capacity to bear that tree fall. Yeah, maybe in some other car there would not have been a death but the roof would have caved in a big way for sure. Thats a big maybe.
No car can survive a tree of that size falling on the roof, you are right. Talk about bad luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks