Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:37   #6421
BHPian

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^ That is one hell of a story man! I'm sure you have captured it digitally. What was the look on the face of the cook like ?
And what was the expression on your face! Not many of us get to have kind of an "out of body experience"!
Old 22nd July 2010, 23:04   #6422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Question : What was the reason for all that rage? According to my paper, the bull was in musth (spelling?). Thus it should never have been involved in ceremonial activities. Those responsible should be punished.

Musth is the right spelling. It’s a high testosterone period in bull elephants. Usually occurs once a year (if I am right). They are very dangerous when they enter this phase. Camp elephants are always isolated deep within the jungle, tied to a tree usually till they get out of it. They have a tiny orifice behind their ears through which a fluid oozes and flows. As far as I have seen only the mahout takes care of it. (The relationship of camp elephants and Mahouts are very different from the temple elephant and their mahouts. From what I’ve heard, the mahouts bonding to the elephant is far greater than that to any of his own family members.)

It appears to be the same with African elephants too. (?) There have been incidents of Bull elephants attacking other species during the musth.
Old 22nd July 2010, 23:17   #6423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Musth is the right spelling. It’s a high testosterone period in bull elephants.
(The relationship of camp elephants and Mahouts are very different from the temple elephant and their mahouts. From what I’ve heard, the mahouts bonding to the elephant is far greater than that to any of his own family members.)
This is hillarious . And this is the accidents in India Thread! Hump Hump!
Old 23rd July 2010, 07:07   #6424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
And what was the expression on your face! Not many of us get to have kind of an "out of body experience"!

Expression on my face,well,disbelief to rage to propah sad!!!
imagine being without a ride for a week!!!
And so much important commuting to do(the sorts that can only be done in college!!)
I'm trying to locate pictures, but it seems files stored on mails 5 years before are quite hard to locate, especially if you have multiple accounts!!
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:38   #6425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
This is hillarious . And this is the accidents in India Thread! Hump Hump!

LOL! NOT IN THAT SENSE! Bonding doesn't have to be a Hump Hump! But still you did give it a new angle
Old 24th July 2010, 11:01   #6426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
well,i'll also pitch in here.During my PG, i used to drive a Zen('97 LX).....

....kind of an out of body experience.
Hey,

Where exactly in Delhi was this?
Old 24th July 2010, 12:13   #6427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hey,

Where exactly in Delhi was this?
This was in qutab institutional area,Pandit's dhaba...
Old 24th July 2010, 19:32   #6428
Senior - BHPian

saw an accident this morning near the Baiyappanahalli railway gate. a trailer truck was trying to take a wide turn (coming towards OMR) and i think what happened was the an auto tried to squeeze through - and that's what it got! a tight squeeze! the auto got squeezed between the divider and the trailer. almost got crushed into half its width. didn't see any injured around - i think the trailer stopped below he completely crushed the auto!

when will people learn!!
Old 24th July 2010, 20:20   #6429
BHPian

Saw this accident on my way back to Bangalore from Hyd, 21st June 2010. This was near Penukonda i suppose. I remember seeing this bus overtaking me at some point in the night but had an accident somewhere later unfortunately. Don't have much details but this is HKB bus and the name is darkened by the bus guys.

Somehow i feel the new breed of volvo drivers are not trained properly unlike in the past (or its just that no one really cares sending drivers to volvo training) as i see too many of these accidents these days on hyd-bangalore, bangalore-tvm highways regardless of the operator.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0047.jpg

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 24th July 2010 at 20:23. Reason: added date.
Old 24th July 2010, 21:54   #6430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
....when will people learn!!
NEVER. That's my everyday route and i see them everyday.
I'm amazed by their display of confidence when they take that fast, wide sweeping BLIND left turn riding on the wrong side of the divider.

-- Torqy
Old 24th July 2010, 22:59   #6431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

Somehow i feel the new breed of volvo drivers are not trained properly unlike in the past (or its just that no one really cares sending drivers to volvo training) as i see too many of these accidents these days on hyd-bangalore, bangalore-tvm highways regardless of the operator.

Attachment 393176
Talk about terror these guys are unleashing on roads. Last friday a SRS Volvo guy was driving the volvo in such a way which would put Street racer to shame.
Fellow sped past me from left side!!!! And with a gap of less than 10 cms !!
Old 25th July 2010, 11:07   #6432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Just learnt from my wife that her friend's wife of '3' months passed away in this

She came to bangy to see the new home that her hubby had bought for them post wedding, she was to settle in bangy once the house warming was over.

They both hardly lived a life together in the 1st 3mths of wedding, were looking forward to the new life until this!!!
I was shocked to hear this, she is mom's colleague working in the same bank. Too sad.

The bus guys have become arrogant (regardless of the operator) after initial good service period to customers. They drive recklessly and don't care about passengers or other vehicles on road. I don't think any of these bus guys have insurance policies to cover passengers (and the disclaimer behind tickets say so) It hurts to see expensive buses being reduced to trash and invaluable human life being lost. And police would let off every culprit the moment they see few notes being thrown to them. I am getting worried about this practice.

Few weeks back on my way to tvm, saw a linea being tail ended by a mini truck and a ABT bus behind. Could not take pics as the traffic was getting blocked.

Another incident that happened near HSR Layout bangalore, a new manza and a container truck involved in an accident. There is considerable damage to the new manza and truck is unharmed. I did not see what happened but reached the spot a second after the incident as i was walking towards home. Car and truck guy arguing, (few said truck had no fault though) two policemen in uniform comes and start abusing the truck driver. Luckily the truck guy knew kannada and started arguing back. Police guy loses cool and tries to beat him, and driver escapes the lathi. I Somehow got pissed with the attitude of police and screamed at the police in telugu to clear the traffic and then try to act smart.

Police did not like it but he listened to me and asked to move the truck and car by their respective drivers. Car moved first and truck was following, he uses hand signals and the cleaner also screaming to other cars coming near to let him go first, well no one listens. Suddenly in front of my eyes, a NHC comes and hits the front left tyre of the truck and gets stuck. The driver gets down and abuses the truck guys in hindi for no fault of theirs. I asked the NHC driver to take car and leave as its his fault. He seemed to have got the point and then next question "sir, do you know how to drive ? I don't know how to take reverse"

I just did not know what to do, i am sure my blood pressure went to maximum, can't drive a car but tries to act smart. uh. Helped the car take reverse and ultimately ended up clearing the traffic. Policemen no where to be seen.

Once the track parked to the side (HSR layout - NIFT road, near Bata showroom) our policemen friends appear again and speaks to driver in tamil telling him that he pay money and they can release the truck or park it in HSR Layout police station.

Trucker: tells why should i, not my fault.
Police - I don't care about that, yours is the bigger vehicle so you need to be careful
Trucker - I drive every type of vehicle, shows his license and training certificate (I think AL or some reputed one) and rules are same to all.
Police tries to beat the driver again. The car guy who was upset comes and tells that he needs compensation.
Trucker - i have 700 rupees, take this, and my truck. Speak to owner and get the money. I cannot help.

Policemen leaves again.

Car guy obviously is upset. Seeing his t shirt with a company name, i figured he knows english, spoke to hm and told "call your insurance guys and claim it, if you leave the car and proceed with a case, the vehicles will be left in the station rotting for few days, court case, bribe and ultimately you will have to lose money. Since its a new car, no depreciation and get full claim except for painting and tax. Car guy understands and calms down,
decides to shake hands with truck driver. Both thank me and then push off.

After i started walking the policemen follows me and following conversation,

Police - What's your problem ? are u a politician or an advocate ?
Me - No one, a normal citizen (in a sarcastic tone)
Police - We would have got something out of the issue and you ruined it (in an arrogant tone)
Me - Is govt. not paying you salary ?
Police - That's not enough, we don't have car/bike, fancy cell phone like you (He saw my Nokia E series)
Me - Is that a necessity ? Why can't you save money or try to move up the career and get what you want ?
Police - Got irritated, abused me (meaning mother whatever abuse) and was cursing me.

I smiled and walked off, wanted to hit him and kill him, but something controlled the generally short tempered me, felt happy for helping the accident victims and resolve the issue.

The sad state of affairs. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share with all and this thread seemed appropriate.
Old 25th July 2010, 20:40   #6433
Senior - BHPian

Just got involved in a pile-up. My heart's breaking as I am typing this.

After almost successfully completing my first trip in my 3 week old Figo and enduring 4 hour long traffic jam from Amby Valley to Lonavala and getting back to Pune, my scariest dreams came true!

The worst thing is I got involved in the pile up just before reaching home!

An Indica braked hard for god knows what reasons and Santro banged into it! I safely stopped within the safe distance and laughed within myself when I saw a Swift too stopping without any damage, but my happiness was short lived when an i20 banged into swift and swift banged into me (santro was safe again as my brakes are still on) and then a honda city banged into the i 20 and the i 20 banged into swift and swift banged into me AGAIN!!!!! ( this time I banged into santro) and then something else rear ended the city!<repeat>

Damages:

Santro front bumper broke and a few scratches

Figo : back door dent and got jammed!

Swift: bonnet bent badly and bumper ripped apart!

I20: front bumper and bonnet gone, back bumper ripped!

Honda city: the guy was not wearing seat belt so he crashed into the windscreen and was bleeding badly. City's front bumper gone! And something else rear ended the city but it left the scene by the time i was assessing all the damages!

I am having blood tears now! I am feeling so bad that for no mistake of mine I have to face the brunt! Seat belts saved us, the two girls in the swift and the ones in i20. I20 had rear passengers, they seemed to be injured as they did not wear seat belts.

Honda city guy is not in a position to drive, I think he is semi-conscious. Ambulance was called upon.

Could not take any pics was not really in the mindset to do :(

Again, I do not know but this feels very depressing!
Old 25th July 2010, 23:16   #6434
Senior - BHPian

^^ Man, that is sad. I understand how bad you must be feeling, however, I commend you on getting everything right on your part. Keeping your foot on the break for the first impact was well done.

If your finances permit, get the car fixed tomorrow itself. This was just plain bad luck, here's wishing you better times ahead. Take care.
Old 25th July 2010, 23:36   #6435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Just got involved in a pile-up. My heart's breaking as I am typing this.

After almost successfully completing my first trip in my 3 week old Figo and enduring 4 hour long traffic jam from Amby Valley to Lonavala and getting back to Pune, my scariest dreams came true!

Could not take any pics was not really in the mindset to do :(

Again, I do not know but this feels very depressing!
These things happen. Life still goes on.
Get it repaired soon. Rust should not be allowed to settle.

Most Viewed