Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 12:46   #7081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
The crash bar was made mandatory for trucks in Delhi (and a few other northern states) quite a while ago. This has saved many lives. There was a study in England (I believe) which concluded that a simple lowered bar which prevents cars from going underneath the rear of a truck saves lives, as the loading bay of the truck nearly always decapitates the car (and therefore - occupants).

This is a cheap and simple safety feature which I have not seen in Karnataka or the southern states. Seems pretty silly that something as simple and cheap as this should be ignored.

I think its mandatory for all "new" HCVs and LCVs to have these.Older trucks wouldnt have this.And ,if you observe closely,most of these bars would have dents or bends on them indicating a rear end shunt
Old 17th November 2010, 12:57   #7082
Senior - BHPian

I saw a Fiat Punto being taken off the Bellandur lake today morning. It was a white color Punto. They had the car off the lake at around 7.30 so the incident may have happened early in the morning (or in the night). This road has got some sharp turns and it teaches a good lesson if drivers are too enthu. They have put a metal fence along the side of the road facing lake recently, but that doesn’t cover the full stretch.
I see such small accidents frequently on this road, most of the times its cabby guys. I remember how beautiful this road a year or two back. Not much of traffic and the lake side was serene experience to drive/walk.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:58   #7083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I think its mandatory for all "new" HCVs and LCVs to have these.Older trucks wouldnt have this.And ,if you observe closely,most of these bars would have dents or bends on them indicating a rear end shunt
Indeed it's mandatory. But many people don't care to fix/replace it once they are broken or damaged. The authorities don't insist it either. Many trucks run around with only the two mounting points. And old ones does not have them at all. Front, side and rear under run protection norms are in place, but mostly, only in papers.
Old 17th November 2010, 13:59   #7084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I saw a Fiat Punto being taken off the Bellandur lake today morning. It was a white color Punto. They had the car off the lake at around 7.30 so the incident may have happened early in the morning (or in the night). This road has got some sharp turns and it teaches a good lesson if drivers are too enthu. They have put a metal fence along the side of the road facing lake recently, but that doesn’t cover the full stretch.
I see such small accidents frequently on this road, most of the times its cabby guys. I remember how beautiful this road a year or two back. Not much of traffic and the lake side was serene experience to drive/walk.
The way people drive on this road, accidents are just waiting to happen. I use this road daily and I see people overtaking on blind turns and driving too fast on the curves. I get scared at the way people drive without realising how dangerous their actions could be to themselves as well as their fellow road users.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:50   #7085
BHPian

^^ This is due to the Indian mentality, where a good driver is the one who takes you to your destination in the minimum time, not the guy who drives safe, slows down and reaches late, though the comparative late will never be very significant amount of time.
Old 17th November 2010, 17:02   #7086
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what had happened to this vehicle. But on the way to Yercaud I found this. IMO this vehicle had rolled over.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3594.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3595.jpg  

Old 17th November 2010, 18:56   #7087
Senior - BHPian

Guess it ventured too close to the Nuclear plant!
Old 17th November 2010, 19:44   #7088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guess it ventured too close to the Nuclear plant!
Bro! Goes to say what mutation can do!
Old 18th November 2010, 07:57   #7089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I saw a big dump of slush/mud taken off the lake when I returned home in the evening yesterday with a cop still around.

Today morning still see a few guys around that place - stopped my bike to ask and heard that it happened around 4AM in the morning previous day, there were 4 of them with one girl and they were drunk, they got 3 folks out of it, none seriously injured (except the girl is in hospital), but the fourth guy is missing and thats the reason they are digging that slush.

lsat night cops may have got some serious talk with other 2-3 in the remand home to find out where is that fourth guy and if they did something before driving straight into the lake..

I travel during less traffic hours (06-0630 and 1530-1800) so I dont see much traffic on this road except when I'm late and face rush hour. I have seen folks stopping their car on the lake side and having beer in the morning at 0630. Sometimes that really turns out worse.
Old 18th November 2010, 08:56   #7090
BHPian

^^^^about this

This is what is given in today's TOI

e-paper Sign-in

Car lands in lake; 3 hurt, 1 missing

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: Drinking and driving and ignoring repeated warnings had to take its toll after all. One man went missing and three others, including a woman, sustained minor injuries when the car they were travelling in fell into Bellandur lake in airport traffic limits at 4 am on Wednesday.
Traffic police said the missing person, identified as B Aditya, was sitting atop the car when the accident occurred. Suspecting Aditya might have drowned, fire department personnel, along with rescue team and expert swimmers, searched the area for more than two hours, two times over. The first round of search was conducted between 5 and 7am. The team returned around 10.30am to conducted another round of search, but in vain. The injured are Kishore Kumar and Manjunath. The name of the woman is yet to be known.
According to police, the revellers left Sahakarnagar after ‘downing few pegs’. Meanwhile, they decided to enjoy a drive in Marathahalli Ring Road. “Aditya may have either fallen midway or drowned, we don’t have an idea. His mobile is not reachable,” police said. Traffic DCP BA Muthtanna said medical tests have confirmed all three had consumed alcohol.

Last edited by rocky080 : 18th November 2010 at 08:59.
Old 18th November 2010, 09:23   #7091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
^^^^about this

This is what is given in today's TOI

e-paper Sign-in

Car lands in lake; 3 hurt, 1 missing

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: Drinking and driving and ignoring repeated warnings had to take its toll after all. One man went missing and three others, including a woman, sustained minor injuries when the car they were travelling in fell into Bellandur lake in airport traffic limits at 4 am on Wednesday.
Traffic police said the missing person, identified as B Aditya, was sitting atop the car when the accident occurred. Suspecting Aditya might have drowned, fire department personnel, along with rescue team and expert swimmers, searched the area for more than two hours, two times over. The first round of search was conducted between 5 and 7am. The team returned around 10.30am to conducted another round of search, but in vain. The injured are Kishore Kumar and Manjunath. The name of the woman is yet to be known.
According to police, the revellers left Sahakarnagar after ‘downing few pegs’. Meanwhile, they decided to enjoy a drive in Marathahalli Ring Road. “Aditya may have either fallen midway or drowned, we don’t have an idea. His mobile is not reachable,” police said. Traffic DCP BA Muthtanna said medical tests have confirmed all three had consumed alcohol.

Sorry if this is off topic, what happens to the car which goes through this adventure? What would happen to electricals/electronics? Would it be possible to restore this one, provided there was no major structural damage?
Old 18th November 2010, 09:30   #7092
Senior - BHPian

^ Yes,
Exactly the same sight I saw yesterday morning. Its foolish to drink and ride atop the car. I can just laugh.
My guess is B Aditya must have fallen somewhere before they went to ride into the lake and is now hiding somewhere.
Old 19th November 2010, 08:58   #7093
BHPian

Quote:
^ Yes,
Exactly the same sight I saw yesterday morning. Its foolish to drink and ride atop the car. I can just laugh.
My guess is B Aditya must have fallen somewhere before they went to ride into the lake and is now hiding somewhere.
As per today's TOI report, his body was fished out today.

Aditya's body fished out - The Times of India
Old 19th November 2010, 10:15   #7094
BHPian

That is very sad. Yesterday, while i was going to the office, i saw some crowd standing near the lake and blocking part of the road. I thought it must be another accident and didn't realise it was related to the same incident that i had checked on this thread the day before.
Old 19th November 2010, 10:17   #7095
BANNED

Source: Article Window

Three killed as buses collide on Mumbai-Goa highway

Reason: Dangerous overtaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-getimage.dll.jpg  

Most Viewed