Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 11:32   #7711
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The only way to tackle such scenarios is to ensure very strict adherence to and compliance of traffic rules AND to make traffic rules and safety regulations an integral part of primary education. It will take time but within a few years the behavioral change will be there for all to see.
+1. Road travel etiquettes are to be made part of the education.
By education I don't mean books but by action.

I have seen School vans going in the opposite direction of an one way, Breaking all signals and rules.
The children in these vehicles will growup learning the same thing and they take traffic rules for granted.
Everyday i pass through a single lane oneway and many times I've had to raise my voice to get my right of the way.
Whats even worse is the rule breakers fight as if I have broken the rules and they ask me to "Adjust"

Today was my most irritating day in traffic after my punto arrived.
It was bad not because something untoward happened, but just because the road is filled with so many educated Illeterates/fools.
It was that much more irritating since I was trying hard to be punctual to a meeting.
Yesterday I left home at 6:47am and reached my destination at 7:13am
Today i had a very important appointment and I left at 6:45am hoping to reach by 7:15am. In the end I happened to reach by 7:20am.
10 minutes is a big delay during that time of the day IMO.
There were many reasons for this delay but One reason is worth highlighting.
I was going over the Richmond cirlce flyover and at the end of it, it curves down to the right creating a small amount of blindspot.
Just When I turned right at around 60-70kmph, There was a FOOL standing and praying to the rising sun with his hands folded and eyes closed.
There was a bike parked on the opposite side adjacent to the flyover wall which must have been his vehicle.
Just at the right time I sensed some obstacle and had to brake hard.
If not, my car would've become just another post on this thread.
After this, I had to slowdown and thought that It would be better for me to go late than getting involved in any unfortunate event.
Of all the places, he wanted a flyover to pray.
If I see him tomorrow, I'l definitely give a tonk on his head.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 17th March 2011 at 11:34.
Old 18th March 2011, 13:17   #7712
BHPian

Hi
On 14th March 2011 witnessed an accident on Bangalore Chennai Highway (near Vaniyambadi) a white swift had overtaken me and nearly 30 mins later saw the same car in a crash with a lorry. Got down to help and noticed that the ambulance was on the way and people were crowding around the spot and the cops shooing away people. Felt really awful for the person involved in the crash. Hope he recovers fast (could not take pics as was proceeding for a meeting )
Old 18th March 2011, 14:06   #7713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Of all the places, he wanted a flyover to pray.
I guess he was praying to attain Nirvana. What better place then Indian roads for it
Old 18th March 2011, 14:25   #7714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi
On 14th March 2011 witnessed an accident on Bangalore Chennai Highway (near Vaniyambadi) a white swift had overtaken me and nearly 30 mins later saw the same car in a crash with a lorry. Got down to help and noticed that the ambulance was on the way and people were crowding around the spot and the cops shooing away people. Felt really awful for the person involved in the crash. Hope he recovers fast (could not take pics as was proceeding for a meeting )
I can uncerstand your feelings mate. 2 years back when I was driving on NH48 on my M800, a similar incident happened.
4 guys in an omni overtook me and after 15 mins they had hit a 2 wheeler and the Omni had turned turtle. one lady riding pillion on the two wheeler died on the spot and the omni driver's leg was cut (yes almost into 2 pieces...terrible). he was in deep pain and bleeding profusely. 2 other boys in the car had fractured limbs.
I got down and also people from other vehicles got down to help. I gave them some water from my car and then called the ambulance. We left once the ambulance arrived.
Such experiences are so terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I guess he was praying to attain Nirvana. What better place then Indian roads for it
But why did he choose my car for this
Old 19th March 2011, 01:06   #7715
BHPian

another accident sighting today.

where : Palm Beach Road, at the Belapur end of it
when : around 8:30 PM
the scene : scooter (Activa i think) fallen under a Ford Endeavor (yes it was absolutely centered under the Endy!!). I don't know for sure if there were any casualties; but from what i could see, only the scooter was there under the ford (no humans/bodies). Also, there was one guy wearing a helmet standing next to the vehicles.

I hope he was the rider of the scooter, and that there was no one else on it.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:26   #7716
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
For someone who takes home in a month what the car guzzles in a week or lesser time, it is a question of survival in these times not one of morality.

If anyone is responsible morally or otherwise it is the parents.

The only way to tackle such scenarios is to ensure very strict adherence to and compliance of traffic rules AND to make traffic rules and safety regulations an integral part of primary education. It will take time but within a few years the behavioral change will be there for all to see.

Curious - So how will you ensure strict adherence to traffic rules and compliance in this case? Jail the parents as a warning? Or the Driver who disobeyed the rules? A soldier disobeys orders on the battle field. My guess is you will want to court martial and dismiss the commander and not the soldier saying its not the time to pinpoint moral responsibility?

Dad is sleeping, kid sneaks out with the car keys goes for a drive and crashes ... who is responsible when dad has firmly told the kid never to touch the car keys?

Its funny how you come down against perceived moralizing in a heavily sermonizing tone - both two sides of the same coin
Old 19th March 2011, 14:25   #7717
BHPian

I have attached a couple of pics with this post. This was the accident I was involved with on 31 December 2010.

A brief of the accident:

I was doing about 80-90 kmph on a sight decline on a right-hand curve. There was an oil tanker coming the other way. I had just about started to pass the oil tanker when a biker with a pillion suddenly decided to overtake the tanker. I only saw the biker when he pulled away from behind the tanker and came directly in front of my car. On that curve, there is no way the biker could have had a clear view while overtaking.

I braked hard. The biker braked hard. Fortunately, the tanker too braked hard. The bike skid and rammed into the front of my Bolero. They both fell off their bike. The pillion actually got under the truck. Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt.

This occurred on the way to Pondicherry around 2 in the afternoon. It took me about 4 hours of haggling with the villagers to sort the whole mess out. We were about 200km from Pondicherry - mere 3 to 4 hours away - in Kallur, about 40-odd km before Chittoor.

We spent the night at Chitoor and spent all of next day driving back to Hyderabad. It took me 15 hours to cover 600 km compared to 9 hours just the day before. The car was damaged and I did not exceed 60 kmph ever.

Trust me, slow driving on a highway is very stressful. One has to fight pain in the ankle since the accelerator is not pushed all the way down. This means that the pedal is only supporting half the weight of the foot. Also, one has to constantly look in the mirror for faster vehicles to make way for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_6181.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_6177.jpg  

Old 19th March 2011, 16:41   #7718
BHPian

Saw this en route to work. Learnt later that this guy was rammed into by another heavy vehicle that fled. Wonder what the other vehicle would've been to inflict such damage on a truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-truck.jpg  

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 19th March 2011 at 16:45. Reason: Pic
Old 19th March 2011, 16:55   #7719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Fortunately, the tanker too braked hard.
Seeing the pics, the biker is extremely fortunate that the tanker too braked hard!.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:18   #7720
BHPian

Quote:
Trust me, slow driving on a highway is very stressful. One has to fight pain in the ankle since the accelerator is not pushed all the way down. This means that the pedal is only supporting half the weight of the foot. Also, one has to constantly look in the mirror for faster vehicles to make way for them.
I understand your point. But that is why taking breaks during the drive is mandatory. This time you were really lucky. Learn from this and take breaks from now on.

And no matter what, drive safe buddy!
Old 19th March 2011, 18:17   #7721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
I understand your point. But that is why taking breaks during the drive is mandatory. This time you were really lucky. Learn from this and take breaks from now on.

And no matter what, drive safe buddy!
Took breaks. My wife and I usually spot something that demands us to stop and take photos. That gives us ample break time. Plus, the highway had a couple of level crossings and we had to stop on every one of them on the way back.
Old 19th March 2011, 19:51   #7722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Saw this en route to work. Learnt later that this guy was rammed into by another heavy vehicle that fled. Wonder what the other vehicle would've been to inflict such damage on a truck.
How can the other vehicle flee after such an impact?

Quote:

It took me about 4 hours of haggling with the villagers to sort the whole mess out.
Unfortunate that inspite of the Biker's mistake you had to undergo this. This happens all the time. More often 'rightness' is judged by the size of the vehicle. But generally if we see, larger vehicle drivers drive more responsibly than smaller ones. I have seen truckers in general are more sensible than many passenger car drivers, car drivers sensible than bikers, bikers better than cyclists and last come pedestrians but when it comes to the blame game it is always the inverse.
Ofcourse there will be exceptions to this but I've seen this to hold in general.

Lucky for you that it ended as a minor accident. Drive safe!

Last edited by pacman2881 : 19th March 2011 at 19:55.
Old 20th March 2011, 20:47   #7723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
That is some serious impact. Wonder how the other vehicle survived and managed to get away. It looks more as if the truck rammed a divider or a bus stop on the road. The roof is torn apart.This pic reminds of the "World's wildest police videos" episode on AXN, in which they showed a madman driving a tank through a neighbourhood.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 20th March 2011 at 20:48. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 20th March 2011, 21:36   #7724
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Dad is sleeping, kid sneaks out with the car keys goes for a drive and crashes ... who is responsible when dad has firmly told the kid never to touch the car keys?

Its funny how you come down against perceived moralizing in a heavily sermonizing tone - both two sides of the same coin
Ah you laugh at this. I am guessing you don't have kids yet.

Let me tell you something. In my growing years my parents looked to it that basic safety and traffic rules were instilled in me. Even if it was playing with fire (festivals) or water (swimming) or something as basic as crossing a road. The need to know the right from the wrong. The need to know the consequences of one mistake. The need to know that we have a social responsibility.

I could never, never ever think of taking the keys when papa is asleep. NEVER!! The thought itself could have send shivers down my spine. Its the way you are brought up. The small wrongs that may look insignificant now turn out to be fatal as we see in that accident that took away the life of the 15 year old.

Due to your demeanor you it might seem the above to you as preaching. If so take it. Hopefully you never have to repent otherwise.

Last edited by Spitfire : 20th March 2011 at 21:38.
Old 21st March 2011, 10:06   #7725
BHPian

^^ +1
Its about educating, not enforcing.

Talking about big vehicles taking the blame, that seems to be like a law in India. I was witness to a accident where a bikers(Pulsar) trying to take a U turn over a broken divider was hit by a car. The Car (Alto) was already braking and just nudged he bike over when it came to a halt. The biker went away with INR 1500 in his pocket to cover any damages, body or vehicle, despite his mistake with the police taking his side.

Most Viewed