Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2011, 08:43   #7861
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Spotted this i10 near my house. Was facing the wrong direction. Guess it lost control and jumped over the median. The marks on the road indicates that.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00380201104090816.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00383201104090817.jpg  

Old 9th April 2011, 13:10   #7862
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Not really they wont work. Even then that's as bad as not working remember this is panic situation.
Like Thad said, the brakes will work but will need much greater force and their effectiveness is greatly reduced. I can scan and post the user manual of my vehicle if required. Moreover, I have tried it myself as well.
Old 9th April 2011, 13:22   #7863
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
but will need much greater force and their effectiveness is greatly reduced.
And that is alright in a car snapping the tow rope and moving backwards?

I would be a fool to try something like that and then rely on greater force and greatly reduced effectiveness instead of using my commonsense.

I knew an idiot who used to switch of his car and roll it to the red signal. One day he hit a two wheeler and then he lost 100 times the amount he had saved. Now he is wiser.

PS: You can use the handbrake too. But then BUT is a relative term.
Old 9th April 2011, 13:28   #7864
BANNED

Quote:
I knew an idiot who used to switch of his car and roll it to the red signal. One day he hit a two wheeler and then he lost 100 times the amount he had saved. Now he is wiser.
Naah, I didn't mean that. What I meant was that the brakes will work irrespective of the engine condition and will work better than the parking brake alone and knowing this is very essential in panic situations. Period.
Old 9th April 2011, 14:08   #7865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, to the best of my knowledge, I think the car will continue moving forward in the given scenario. No?
Old 9th April 2011, 14:51   #7866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Spotted this i10 near my house. Was facing the wrong direction. Guess it lost control and jumped over the median. The marks on the road indicates that.
What's shocking is the amount of speed the driver must have carried at the time of the accident. From the background of the photos it looks like it's a residential area. Reminds me of the Ford Ikon accident at Worli Sea Face where the car hit an electric pole and broke in two pieces. Irresponsible and dangerous.
Old 9th April 2011, 15:26   #7867
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Naah, I didn't mean that. What I meant was that the brakes will work irrespective of the engine condition and will work better than the parking brake alone and knowing this is very essential in panic situations. Period.
Me and THAD were only discussing the particular incident - towing + switched off car + nylon rope + up a slope. Not all generic situations.

For all other generic situations where the driver switches off the car and then tries to brake creating a panic situation, there is no really a safe method to try unless the driver is on a death wish.

For engine failures and engine switching off - genuine panic situation what you say is valid. We don't have a choice otherwise do we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Well, to the best of my knowledge, I think the car will continue moving forward in the given scenario. No?
Read the newspaper article regarding the incident? I am guessing you have not and applying your logic here instead.

For your benefit: They were going up a slope. Now?

Last edited by Spitfire : 9th April 2011 at 15:34.
Old 9th April 2011, 16:04   #7868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read the newspaper article regarding the incident? I am guessing you have not and applying your logic here instead.

For your benefit: They were going up a slope. Now?
Ooops. I didn't know they were going up a slope.

Coming back to the point, as far as I have experienced, brakes lack the bite even with full force on the pedal, when there is no servo assist.

I am not sure how to put it, but a conventional non-servoed brake, bites better than a servoed brake with no servo assist at that moment.
Old 9th April 2011, 16:07   #7869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Theres paint on the road!! Seems the roof and bonnet beared the car's weight while it was skidding. Hope the occupants were wearing seat belts.
Old 10th April 2011, 10:39   #7870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Theres paint on the road!! Seems the roof and bonnet beared the car's weight while it was skidding. Hope the occupants were wearing seat belts.
Yes, there's paint on the road. Looks like it jumped over the median and landed on it's roof. There's a decent curve before that. Might have lost controlled while turning and hit the median. Speeding might be the culprit here.
Old 10th April 2011, 17:45   #7871
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for going OT. BMW Z4? But the tail light is a bit different.
Looks like a 6 series to me... Sorry about OT.
Old 11th April 2011, 15:28   #7872
Senior - BHPian

The dream of Techie from Hyderabad ends on highway - The Times of India

Another accident where the cab driver and the (only) passenger was killed. Can't recognize the the car but could have been a Indica/Indigo. Article says cab driver probably lost control, jumped the median and collided head-on with a lorry.
Old 11th April 2011, 15:43   #7873
BHPian

Saw a nasty accident yesterday near Kesavadasapuram in Trivandrum. A bike hit head on with a Maruti 800. The car was badly damaged and had the mark of a head hitting the windshield. There was some blood around too. The bike was a newgen bike, no idea about which one though. The front wheel was broken and the rest of the front was mangled. Hope no one lost lives.
Old 11th April 2011, 21:24   #7874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
The dream of Techie from Hyderabad ends on highway - The Times of India

Another accident where the cab driver and the (only) passenger was killed. Can't recognize the the car but could have been a Indica/Indigo. Article says cab driver probably lost control, jumped the median and collided head-on with a lorry.
It is not clear where exactly this accident occured, considered AFAIK there are know 2-lane roads on the way.

I just travelled Anantapur > Bangalore in the Morning, and somewhere between Penukonda and Kamath, I saw a shiny black toppled SUV (Fortuner?Safari?) on the roadside, with a crowd, and a "driver" kinda guy was sitting on the road beside it. I was half asleep and had to reach Bangy ASAP, so couldn't stop, yet again.
Old 11th April 2011, 21:55   #7875
Team-BHP Support

Deccan Chronicle claim that the taxi driver fell asleep at the wheel

Most Viewed