Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 22:19   #8071
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I might be wrong (cannot see the video in office to confirm), but i think the snaps appear to be different.
Amit, my apologies, I stand corrected, the video and the pics are different but are of the same location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thanks for sharing the link.
Also, the guy did not survive. There is a post by HTP there in the comments that says that he succumbed to head injuries. Helmet would have surely saved him.
I am not sure what happened, but yes that guy did not survive. Read it later as HTP commented after I posted this.

Meanwhile have a look at this too.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video...27538&comments
luckily, the guy stood up on his foot after the somersault.
Old 10th May 2011, 22:29   #8072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Meanwhile have a look at this too.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video...27538&comments
luckily, the guy stood up on his foot after the somersault.
Now this video is even more confusing. The biker and the swift both breaking the signal here?? Because i can see the traffic from the opposite end had started moving.

Again no helmet. When will these guys learn? The biker was very very lucky.

So hyderabad police posts these videos on some central site??
Old 10th May 2011, 23:32   #8073
BHPian

Hyderabad police post these videos for what? Entertainment? Looks like it.

What about the actions and imposing of rules? They let the Bus go away!

A policeman sitting in a room and watching on camera is not going help.
Old 11th May 2011, 07:30   #8074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Saw a video on the FB page of the HTP caught by one of their cameras....
Reply of HTP on fb:
Quote:
Hyderabad Traffic Police: We r sorry, above guy was died. After accident he was admited in the hospital while under going treatment he was died. He would survived if he was weared Helmet. Main cause of death was severe head injury. Every day there are major accidents are occured with Two Wheellers only. Majority of not wearing the helmet and some of are driving rash and negligent manner. Check accident analysis in our website Accident Analysis - Hyderabad Traffic Police.
Really sad news. I don't know why people don't care about (at least) their own lives!

About HTP, I wonder who is in charge of the fb page. On the DTP page you can see regular updates from the commissioner himself. I see no such thing here and moreover just read the 'english'. I do hope they are taking this seriously, fb can be a great way to generate awareness about traffic rules!
Old 11th May 2011, 07:33   #8075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

I think the cameras are located at all the strategic junctions to capture the traffic violators. If you look at the second video the camera zooms in on the swift number plate to capture it. I am assuming (read hoping) by looking at this data they are capturing the offenders.

I am not sure that they let the bus go away. I think the bus must have stopped a bit ahead which is not visible in the video. Else it would have blocked the junction and caused more chaos.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 09:46   #8076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So hyderabad police posts these videos on some central site??
No central site Amit, they posts these videos and pics on their Facebook page.

Quote:
Oh!! this can't be the thing. If somebody looks at this video to get entertained then, that is really sad. IMO, these videos are intended to make the Hyderabadi citizens or netizens realise the danger and risk of not following the traffic rules and regulations. Probably, looking at these videos some will mend their driving/riding habits and become a safe driver on the road or just be cautious of the dangers lurking due to the traffic violations.
These videos and pics can be used as evidence against the violators in the court of law and there have been many instances, where the e-challan sent to the violator was challenged by the violator, and these pics came handy as evidence.
Also IMO traffic police have limited power, they can at best provide evidence, act as witness or may be impound the culprit vehicle, rest of the work has to be done the Police department who will then file the FIR or investigate the case.
I really don't think these videos are for entertainment.

Quote:
I think the cameras are located at all the strategic junctions to capture the traffic violators. If you look at the second video the camera zooms in on the swift number plate to capture it. I am assuming (read hoping) by looking at this data they are capturing the offenders.
Yes, even I was not aware of so many camera's around. And looking at their zooming ability,and capturing the registration details, there must be some follow up action. A challan or a FIR may be.

Quote:
I am not sure that they let the bus go away. I think the bus must have stopped a bit ahead which is not visible in the video. Else it would have blocked the junction and caused more chaos.
+1, would totally agree with your statement.
Old 11th May 2011, 13:43   #8077
Senior - BHPian

If that is signal breaking, then there are so many vehicles breaking the signal! Is it that, the bus continued its course even as the light turned amber from green, and the unfortunate biker and the others started moving their vehicles just as the light turned amber from red (before turning green)?

At least here in Bangalore, I have seen people accelerating the moment they see the light turning amber from green, even when they are approaching the signal. Also, no one waits for the light to turn green and start moving their vehicles the moment it turns amber from red.

As far as I understand, light turning amber from green is to have enough buffer time for those vehicles to reach the other side, which have already crossed the stop line. At this point, any vehicle having not crossed the stop line must slow down and stop. Since amber is for this reason, no vehicle waiting for green should move until their light turns green.

Hell, if you don't move when the light turns amber from red, or if you slow down when the light turns amber from green, you get to hear enough honks and abuses. My Palio has even been rear ended once by an Omni when I slowed down for green to amber!
Old 11th May 2011, 14:11   #8078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
If that is signal breaking, then there are so many vehicles breaking the signal! Is it that, the bus continued its course even as the light turned amber from green, and the unfortunate biker and the others started moving their vehicles just as the light turned amber from red (before turning green)?

At least here in Bangalore, I have seen people accelerating the moment they see the light turning amber from green, even when they are approaching the signal. Also, no one waits for the light to turn green and start moving their vehicles the moment it turns amber from red.

As far as I understand, light turning amber from green is to have enough buffer time for those vehicles to reach the other side, which have already crossed the stop line. At this point, any vehicle having not crossed the stop line must slow down and stop. Since amber is for this reason, no vehicle waiting for green should move until their light turns green.

Hell, if you don't move when the light turns amber from red, or if you slow down when the light turns amber from green, you get to hear enough honks and abuses. My Palio has even been rear ended once by an Omni when I slowed down for green to amber!
I was rear ended and thrown out of my bike once when I had stopped on seeing the light turning green to amber. It was not that I came to a sudden halt by any chance, still a sonata behind me didn't expected this and hit me. The intersection was just after a flyover and it's a wrong place to have a signal. Luckily it was not a high speed one. Since then I always try to look in my rear view mirror whenever I am stopping at the signals ( and even toll booths now after reading horror stories recently). I keep my brakes pressed until the vehicle behind me comes to a stop and sometimes pump my brakes so that in case someone is driving without enough attention gets a chance to notice that I have stopped.
Old 11th May 2011, 16:20   #8079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
ISince then I always try to look in my rear view mirror whenever I am stopping at the signals ( and even toll booths now after reading horror stories recently). I keep my brakes pressed until the vehicle behind me comes to a stop and sometimes pump my brakes so that in case someone is driving without enough attention gets a chance to notice that I have stopped.

Yes.Thats what even I do .If i do plan to stop/slow down at an intersection ,I always warn the driver behind me by pumping the brake pedal.

And in case of sudden stops wherein the signal light changes to orange,its very important to check your RVM before you slow down .Not many people intend to stop when the signal is orange .
Old 11th May 2011, 20:48   #8080
BHPian

At Mumbai, when the light is green, amber would come and then turn red. From red it is direct green.

A person who has driven at Mumbai for quite some time, would tend to get confused. I was when driving at Bangalore.

Why there is no uniformity? how is it in Chennai, Delhi or Calcutta?
Old 11th May 2011, 21:23   #8081
Senior - BHPian

A Scorpio collided with a truck and three persons lost their lives and another two got seriously injured on Tuesday morning. They were returning from Kollur where they had gone on hearing the news that their family member who had deserted home and ran off is there.

The mishap occurred at the Thottappally spillway bridge between Alappuzha and Quilon on NH 47, where in a similar accident involving a truck and a Wagon R or Estilo, claiming couple of lives, last year.

Details can be had here http://expressbuzz.com/cities/thiruv...on/273432.html

Last edited by rajeev k : 11th May 2011 at 21:29. Reason: addition
Old 11th May 2011, 21:37   #8082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
At Mumbai, when the light is green, amber would come and then turn red. From red it is direct green.

A person who has driven at Mumbai for quite some time, would tend to get confused. I was when driving at Bangalore.

As far as I recall from my visits to all of the mentioned cities, it is the same everywhere as it is in Bombay. I was in Bangalore a few weeks ago and cannot recall any lights going from Red to Amber, I believe they went directly to Green.
Old 11th May 2011, 22:02   #8083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
As far as I recall from my visits to all of the mentioned cities, it is the same everywhere as it is in Bombay. I was in Bangalore a few weeks ago and cannot recall any lights going from Red to Amber, I believe they went directly to Green.
In Bangy the sequence is Green -> Amber -> Red -> Green. Amber comes as an intimation for the vehicles to slow down for RED. But in Kerala, I have been seeing the Amber coming even before RED turns Green. Now whats that for ?? Get ready to wheel spin ?

Ideally the Amber should come only before the signal turns RED. But I have seen guys on other signals start riding [its bikes always] as soon as one of the signals turn Amber !! They cant wait for their signals to turn green to move.
Old 11th May 2011, 22:25   #8084
BHPian

Quote:

Were you entertained by the video? If you did watch it, did you not observe that the biker was bunking the signal and wasn't even looking in front?
And why oh why shouldn't the bus be left to go (though he was n't)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
One more thing: In Bang, the green arrow (for left/right)starts blinking when it is about to turn off. But in Chennai, the blinking green arrow indicates Free left or/and "proceed with caution".
Old 11th May 2011, 23:48   #8085
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
In Bangy the sequence is Green -> Amber -> Red -> Green.
SWIFTNFURIOUS
What about the crazy siren they play in Bangy at some intersections before the light turns Red/Green? I have been fooled many times into thinking that an ambulance is stuck in the queue behind me and tried to make way for it!

Most Viewed