Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 13:33   #8581
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Looks like a Roadlink bus .Not sure though.The flag like logo is something I have seen on their buses.

Most of these bus drivers drive like this YouTube - ‪Volvo at its topspeed. Madurai to Bangalore.MP4‬‏

At these speeds ,the only way that these buses can stop suddenly is crashing into someone.

And idiots like the one who took this video say that they were enjoying it .He doesnt realise how this bus driver was endangering so many lives.Had the 2 trucks that he was overtaking veered to the right ,it would have easily been one more headline on our news channels!!

These buses which are manufactured in other countries have seat belts for all seats .Here ,I rarely see anything beyond the first row of seats !

Holy cow! ~120(with speedo corrections) is even too much for a bus and that too the way he was cutting lanes between the car and the sumo and then sumo and the truck. The driver is for sure counting not just his days but the days of passengers he is taking with him. We can call him "Yamadharmaraj" in a new avatar, instead of a buffalo he is now riding on volvos it seems.
Old 26th June 2011, 14:18   #8582
BANNED

On the Udaipur - Delhi route drivers go upto 140 kmph as per GPS .
MAny drivers also driver sanely but yes few of them actually take it to 140kmph .The last week when i came back this speed was at in midnight on chittorgarh expressway.
Also the new Merc buses in Gujarat are also topping charts at around 150+ as i heard from few of my contacts .

Seatbelts definitely should be mandatory in these buses.
Old 26th June 2011, 14:25   #8583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Has to be KPN. They are the only day time Multi-Axle operator on the Madurai-Bangalore route.
Looks like a Kallada bus. See the log here.
Welcome to ::Kallada Tours & Travels ::

-- Torqy
Old 26th June 2011, 14:27   #8584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Looks like a Kallada bus. See the log here.
Welcome to ::Kallada Tours & Travels ::
Torqy,

We were talking of the bus in the Video - that was surely not a Kallada. The bus that met with the accident yesterday night is surely a Kallada - was running Bangalore-Kottarakkara.
Old 26th June 2011, 14:45   #8585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of these bus drivers drive like this At these speeds ,the only way that these buses can stop suddenly is crashing into someone.

And idiots like the one who took this video say that they were enjoying it .He doesnt realise how this bus driver was endangering so many lives.Had the 2 trucks that he was overtaking veered to the right ,it would have easily been one more headline on our news channels!!

These buses which are manufactured in other countries have seat belts for all seats .Here ,I rarely see anything beyond the first row of seats !
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Holy cow! ~120(with speedo corrections) is even too much for a bus and that too the way he was cutting lanes between the car and the sumo and then sumo and the truck. The driver is for sure counting not just his days but the days of passengers he is taking with him. We can call him "Yamadharmaraj" in a new avatar, instead of a buffalo he is now riding on volvos it seems.
I remember a major crash involving a coach in England in September/October 1993 after which the seat belts were made mandatory.

This is the way the Volvo interstate buses are driven and which is why Vovos require lesser time. I remember when Volvls were first introduced in the Kochi Bangalore sector the advantage was two to two and half hours. Then the departure was between 9 and 9.30PM while the Leyland used to depart around 630 PM but arrival at Bangalor was ahead by 30 to 45 mts notwithstanding the peak hour traffic woes for the Leyland ones.

Last edited by rajeev k : 26th June 2011 at 14:47.
Old 26th June 2011, 17:20   #8586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This is the way the Volvo interstate buses are driven and which is why Vovos require lesser time. I remember when Volvls were first introduced in the Kochi Bangalore sector the advantage was two to two and half hours. Then the departure was between 9 and 9.30PM while the Leyland used to depart around 630 PM but arrival at Bangalor was ahead by 30 to 45 mts notwithstanding the peak hour traffic woes for the Leyland ones.
Yes, this is true. Now a days, buses are doing Kochi - Bangalore in 8 hours, Chennai - Kochi in less than 10 hrs with breaks!! I have seen several interstate multi axle buses doing more or less the same speed. At the same time, I traveled Bangalore-Mumbai-Bangalore four times by bus and every time, they were doing smooth speeds.

Earlier Volvo used to train drivers but now anyone can take the wheel. The infulence of liquor in drivers also increases the risk level. I heard that some dinner outlets serve liquor to drivers for business though I am not sure.

Last edited by coolclouds : 26th June 2011 at 17:23.
Old 26th June 2011, 18:47   #8587
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to hear this. Horrified when I saw the news on TV. One main reason why I stopped traveling by bus to blore. The last time I felt comfortable traveling by bus was to Chennai. This was Parveen travels and the driver was well educated. He drove really well and I felt safe. Might be because it was a brand new Volvo (They even distributed sweets since it was the first trip). Hope now atleast they will learn from this. Also, the horn on the bus in the video is really irritating. Firstly, ban these musical horns.
Old 26th June 2011, 19:51   #8588
Senior - BHPian

It was this January when we were returning from Kanyakumari to Chennai and it was a Volvo. The bus was doing speeds pretty much around 100-110Km/h. The roads were good but speeds like this can only kill.
Old 26th June 2011, 20:20   #8589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Hope now atleast they will learn from this. Also, the horn on the bus in the video is really irritating. Firstly, ban these musical horns.
I don't know who will learn from this and when. Kallada also had several serious accidents even after limiting speeds. Only thing is to educate drivers about good driving habits and importance of lives.

Regarding the air horns, during my last visit, I saw that lot of private buses in Ernakulam area using those very irritating air horns (those widely used in CBE-Salem and other parts of TN) even though its banned.

Last edited by coolclouds : 26th June 2011 at 20:23.
Old 26th June 2011, 23:21   #8590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Yes, this is true. Now a days, buses are doing Kochi - Bangalore in 8 hours, Chennai - Kochi in less than 10 hrs with breaks!! I have seen several interstate multi axle buses doing more or less the same speed. At the same time, I traveled Bangalore-Mumbai-Bangalore four times by bus and every time, they were doing smooth speeds.
Yes, the Volvos are a good thing which landed in bad hands. Blame the uneducated drivers or pressure from the management. They know that people will flock to those buses which are faster. So they might be trying to beat each other's time.

I had traveled BLR-Mumbai-BLR in KSRTC. They were absolutely smooth. Never did i feel they were rashly driven.

A few days back on my way to Kerala, i thought i was doing good speeds until an SRM overtook me and kept pulling away mercilessly.

I strongly feel that "DRIVING IN HIGH BEAM" contributes A LOT to these accidents. So, all ye FULL TIME HIGH-BEAMERS, with XENON, KRYPTON, NICKELODEON etc....you just got away....but the bus which just passed you hit a truck which broke down on the highway....coz' you blinded the driver.
The same goes with idiot bus drivers.

Some people feel that its ok to be on full time hi-beam on divided 3 lane highways. NO. You can blind others from miles away.

-- Torqy
Old 27th June 2011, 08:26   #8591
Team-BHP Support

The ironic thing is that the KSRTC Volvo's are decently driven and maintained since they have been trained. Private fleet operators suffer from high turnover so there is no incentive to train and retain.

Again, BMTC have rapidly expanded the fleet and finding good drivers from the existing pool has dried up and it is a testiment to the vehicle that incident are relatively low.

APSRT Volvo's are in a terrible state
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 09:55   #8592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Yes, the Volvos are a good thing which landed in bad hands. Blame the uneducated drivers or pressure from the management. They know that people will flock to those buses which are faster. So they might be trying to beat each other's time.

I had traveled BLR-Mumbai-BLR in KSRTC. They were absolutely smooth. Never did i feel they were rashly driven.
True. KSRTC (Karnataka) Volvo's are well maintained and driven well. I used to travel in this during my college days in Chennai when I used to go to blore during the weekends. Private buses are competing against other travels. Let me quote an example, normally it's about 900/- for a ticket from Cochin-Blore but during season they charge 1500/- for a single ticket. I traveled once during peak time.

Also I got this news from a guy working for southern railways - These private bus owners have got huge political contacts and they somehow block majority of trains tickets so that people will opt buses to blore. This shows that these guys will do anything.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:05   #8593
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like a Roadlink bus .Not sure though.The flag like logo is something I have seen on their buses.

Most of these bus drivers drive like this

At these speeds ,the only way that these buses can stop suddenly is crashing into someone.

Holy cow, this is crazy. The chap can cause a serious accident and kill innocent people. The only way these things can stop in our country is to have mandatory speed limiters installed on these buses and trucks. No amount of training will instill common sense in these drivers.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:28   #8594
BHPian

Yesterday had a brush with a minor accident which thankfully did not turn into a major one.
It had drizzled in the evening, and I was waiting at a red signal near the Whitefield Big Bazaar junction(ITPL road). I was on the right most lane and there was hardly a good gap for even a cycle to go through. As soon as the signal turned green and I slotted into gear, this moronic Pulsar rider carrying a pillion crossed me at 30-40kmph through the narrow gap!

In the process he banged my Right ORVM which narrowly missed breaking off. The rider too wobbled around almost loosing balance and crashing down.He realized his folly and made a quick getaway. I decided chasing them was foolish(wife and kid in tow) and the number plates were dirty/worn off, so could not get a note of it.

It was heartening that the moron missed scratching the whole length of the car, however the mirror's plastic cladding took a beating and developed a crack.
Will have to get a replacement for that now. Dont know if I should consider myself lucky or get angry for the same.
Old 27th June 2011, 12:36   #8595
Senior - BHPian

Holy cow! The Volvo bus video is very scary. As it is by virute of high CG, these buses sway from side to side. I wonder how the bus must have swayed when the driver overtook that car, then Sumo, then that ruck. And notice how he is overtaking, without slowing down one bit AND passing within inches of those two trucks he overtook. And 140-150? These speeds are not safe even for a low slung car, on our roads. God help these passengers. In fact with this kinda driving, I wonder how there are so fewer accidents. So, there IS GOD.

Most Viewed