Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 09:16   #9076
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
This is what happens when one does not wear seat belts.
how is that there is a depression in that area? sort of cave-in. shouldn't it be protruding if the impact was from inside?
Old 26th August 2011, 10:03   #9077
BHPian

Quote:
This is what happens when one does not wear seat belts.

Attachment 599683
Looks to me like something hit it from outside! The damage looks like its been caused by a bigger projectile than a head.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:12   #9078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
how is that there is a depression in that area? sort of cave-in. shouldn't it be protruding if the impact was from inside?
even if it was outward, there is not enough tension to hold the bump continuously.
over some time, gravity takes over.
and this looks like it has been parked for some time.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 12:52   #9079
BHPian

It was almost midnight when I left Colaba. I was accompanied by a couple of friends who I was gonna drop off at Mohd. Ali road, which meant I'd be skipping the J.J. Flyover. As soon as I passed C.S.T. station, there were these hordes of bikes and scooters all around my car, zipping-zapping as if they owned the streets! Madness, absolute insanity! I was supposed to take a right turn so as to reach P. D'mello road. I was trying to be as careful as possible, but these nuts wouldn't budge.
They were honking and shouting and the whole place was going crazy. Cops were useless. The bikers would ride on the wrong side of the road and if they'd almost bump into you, you'd be the one RECEIVING a cold stare!
So there I was, about to take that much awaited right turn. Indicator on, steering steered and BAMM!!! One of those orangutans clipped my rear bumper! Although I wanted to get down and check the damage and do some verbal damage, I must admit that I was scared to do so and kept moving on. Till I reached my friend's place which wasn't more than 700 meters away, I could hear the sound of that piece of fiber dragging all along the way, hitting every stone and pothole that came in the way. When I finally checked the damage, I knew that there's gonna be some extra expenses this Ganpati! :(

P.S. About the two wheeler riders. Well, I do understand that it's a religious time, this month. And I respect that. However, what I do not understand and will never respect is the madness that happens every night at places like Mohd. Ali road, Bandra, Kurla West, etc. Followed by victimizing people who have nothing to do but use the road as humanly as possible! I have nothing to say about the political revolution happening around, but if there were some strict traffic rules implemented here, I'd love to see and follow that sorta discipline!
Old 26th August 2011, 12:55   #9080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Looks to me like something hit it from outside! The damage looks like its been caused by a bigger projectile than a head.
mayankk is right. Automotive glass deforms exactly like this on head impact. It crumbles, and the bits are held together by the plastic lamination, which is very much flexible and cant hold shapes, so it gets pulled down by the gravity.
Old 30th August 2011, 21:27   #9081
BHPian

Skoda Laura on Fire

I gotta see a horrifying site when I went for my evening walk today.

Apparently the owner of this Skoda Laura went out of the car for lunch and it caught fire. The car burnt for about an hour till the fire brigade came. This happened on ECR Chennai, near Adyar Ananda Bhavan.

This should be shown on Sun TV today I guess.

Will upload videos tomorrow or the day after.

If any one has any news regarding as to why it caught fire, please do share.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo.jpg  

Last edited by xtremeshock : 30th August 2011 at 21:29.
Old 30th August 2011, 21:46   #9082
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for going off topic,here i'm posting a picture of a bridge on a state highway in the hinterland.This is Accident waiting to happen.A new 2 lane bridge has come up just next to it but the approach road is being made.

Click on image for larger snap.

Mods-Kindly move to appropriate section if this is not the correct one.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-290820111016.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-290820111017.jpg  

Last edited by BoneCollector : 30th August 2011 at 21:53.
Old 30th August 2011, 23:14   #9083
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura on Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Apparently the owner of this Skoda Laura went out of the car for lunch and it caught fire. The car burnt for about an hour till the fire brigade came. This happened on ECR Chennai, near Adyar Ananda Bhavan.

The car is parked right next to an 11 KV line[?] or a transformer. Could be a reason of sparks flying from the line? Could he not park the car 10 metres up or down further??!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th August 2011 at 23:16.
Old 30th August 2011, 23:27   #9084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This is Accident waiting to happen.
True, and for that exact reason, they will have restrictions to the max tonnage, tru that bridge. Don't they?
Old 31st August 2011, 08:18   #9085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The car is parked right next to an 11 KV line[?] or a transformer. Could be a reason of sparks flying from the line? Could he not park the car 10 metres up or down further??!
Sometimes short circuits or 'transformer burst' as they call it, causes sparks to fly out from a transformer. But that shouldn't set the car on fire! (Unless the car was doused in some inflamable substance.) Probable he was carrying some inflamable substance inside, like gas cylinder or something, which might have leaked and caught fire with some of the electricals of the car.
Old 31st August 2011, 09:46   #9086
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True, and for that exact reason, they will have restrictions to the max tonnage, tru that bridge. Don't they?
Well,surprisingly there was no notice or anything posted on this bridge.All vehicles that can negotiate the width,pass through it.Though there was another bridge which had huge iron pillars on both ends to restrict large vehicles,but then i saw the Tata 407s and 608s fully loaded and crossing it.There have been instances when the bridge has collapsed owing to heavy load.This is a recipe for disaster.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:58   #9087
BHPian

Quote:

Will upload videos tomorrow or the day after.

Hmmm. No flames under the bonnet or from the rear where the fuel tank would be. Seems the fire originated in the cabin itself. It could be that something flammable or explosive was left in the cabin and overheated, leading to the fire. A wilder guess would be that the car perfume bottle or similar glass object became a lens to the sun-rays and focused on something long enough to light it up.
Old 31st August 2011, 22:17   #9088
BHPian

Quote:

Just heard from someone that this did not happen when the car was idle, but it happened while the owners were driving the car and someone told them that the engine area was giving out smoke, they stopped the car on the side of the road and it caught fire soon afterwards . Still don't know the exact reason.

Here are the videos.

Old 1st September 2011, 17:36   #9089
Senior - BHPian

I witnessed today bad accident on Inner Ring Road, Bangalore 12:00 PM 01st Sept. It was just happened when a Audi Q6 guy hit a Suzuki A-Star and A-Star was toppled after it was in air for some time. It must be high speed crash and I cannot find out whose mistake it was. Audi's front right side gone completely and it touched rear left side of A-Star.

I was not able to manage to take pic of Audi Q6 but taken couple of pics of A-Star. No information about causalities.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0041.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0042.jpg
Old 1st September 2011, 18:09   #9090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I was not able to manage to take pic of Audi Q6 but taken couple of pics of A-Star. No information about causalities.
Audi Q6? What is that now?

Most Viewed