Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 15:34   #9346
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
I saw this happened couple of day back in Hyderabad.
the attachment is missing. Please try and upload the image again.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:41   #9347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Well you are believing TOI's reporting?

How can airbags burst and more so when they did not deploy??

Airbags deflate after they are deployed, they are not balloons to get burst as reported.

And it is pretty convenient to bash a car manufacturer when the driver flew off some 30 feet!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
That was my first thought exactly. Our press/media are seriously irresponsible. There are a lot of people who will see that report and say, damn these Honda guys and their unsafe cars. It was probably the 30 foot drop that killed that poor guy.

3:50 in the morning, headed back from a South Delhi party...you can do the math. Feel bad for the family that has to pay for the youngster's mistakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

You can't expect a set of airbags to save you, when you launch your car off a flyover and land it on the concrete floor, 30 ft below. People are so quick to blame the safety and integrity of the car. The car is as safe as the person who is driving it is. You can't be reckless and drive like a hooligan and expect to walk away from a 30 ft fall from a flyover.

The airbags would have inflated, but after the impact, the airbag automatically deflates. What the airbag does is cushion the blow for the occupants. How much of a blow can airbags cushion when the car achieves 5 second airtime and lands, rubber-up, on a hard concrete floor?

It is driver error. Period.

RIP Kuldeep. Sad to see a life lost in this fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

You expect to survive a thirty-foot drop? Whether in or out of a vehicle, it is likely to be either fatal, or so badly injured that you might wish it had been.

If it is necessary to design cars to protect the most stupid and the most over-confident, under-trained youths that just might ever driver them, then they would probably become unaffordable.

Apologies for jumping the gun.
Feeling ashamed to have gone by the literal meaning of that reporter.

The details provided by you guys throws the real light. Wonder how many, like me, will get fooled to suspect Honda for that reporter guys reporting stupidity.
manojmis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 15:52   #9348
Distinguished - BHPian

To my best knowledge:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
1. How exactly the car jumped off the flyover?
150+ km/hr and a sharp and sudden swerve is enough to make a car fly.
Quote:
Did it hit the footpath? I don't see much damage to front left tyre in the pic. Was the footpath a sloping one? This would explain pole vaulting.
Umm.. does the report say that front left tyre hit the footpath? In any case, the tyre need not burst. A couple of weeks ago, my ikon met with an accident, and the rim was badly damaged, but the tyre was intact.
Quote:
2. Which part landed first? From pic, I can't see any part which shows landing damage.
Need to have the full pic, but then, it looks to me, like the vehicle has rolled over several times after landing.
Old 30th September 2011, 16:31   #9349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
A couple of weeks ago, my ikon met with an accident, and the rim was badly damaged, but the tyre was intact.
Now what happened with you Dhanush? Hope it was nothing major.

Quote:
Need to have the full pic, but then, it looks to me, like the vehicle has rolled over several times after landing.
I know that place. But I still can't fathom, how did he manage to launch himself from that flyover.
To my eyes, it doesn't look like the car rolled over. I can't see any major deformity in the shape of the roof .
IMO it landed rear first and then the front banged on the footpath. The left rear fenders, boot door and the bumper of the civic gives a feeling that it took the first hit after falling .
Old 30th September 2011, 17:59   #9350
Senior - BHPian

i concur with that , and by reading all the reports so far it does not appear to be a case of any part failing. The reporter mentions that the driver was at a South Delhi club before that - so maybe alcohol involved?

There is also this speculation if 2 cars were racing which the police declines to comment on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
IMHO, no blame can be assigned to the car manufacturer here unless it is proved that any part (steering/ brakes) malfunctioned or did not function. The airbags have performed their expected function based on impact.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:34   #9351
BHPian

Quote:
150+ km/hr and a sharp and sudden swerve is enough to make a car fly.
I beg to differ. Civic is a low slung car. Swerve all you want but still you can't make it fly over a thing as high as flyover railing. I remember some years old reports of a Laura suddenly swerving at speed like 200kph at India Gate, Delhi. The car crashed but didn't leave ground in the process.

Quote:
Umm.. does the report say that front left tyre hit the footpath? In any case, the tyre need not burst. A couple of weeks ago, my ikon met with an accident, and the rim was badly damaged, but the tyre was intact.
Oops I mixed words! I meant the rim and not the tyre. Hope your accident was not serious. Have you shared details for the same here?

Quote:
Though we don't have the full pic but the roof looks remarkably fine. Even the rear window glass seems to point that it never landed on roof, either by rolling or by falling. Or, may be Civic's body cage is ridiculously strong.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:47   #9352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
the attachment is missing. Please try and upload the image again.
Hello

Sorry about this.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sriupload1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sriupload2.jpg  

Old 30th September 2011, 20:13   #9353
BHPian

Got one more pic about the Civic flying off a flyover. Now this one should answer some questions.

Old 30th September 2011, 21:36   #9354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Now what happened with you Dhanush? Hope it was nothing major.
Quote:
Hope your accident was not serious. Have you shared details for the same here?
No, nothing serious Manish and devilscry, no one hurt. Thanks for the concern guys. But, I fear I might end up with a huge repair bill. The car is still in the workshop. Had some insurance issues. I have not shared the details here.
Quote:
I can't see any major deformity in the shape of the roof .
Quote:
Though we don't have the full pic but the roof looks remarkably fine.
Well, the car needn't land on the roof, and rolling over needn't damage the roof badly. Check the pic below, the 800 rolled over twice in front of my eyes, and landed upside down. Still the damage to the roof doesn't justify it. Also, for the Civic, there seem to be impacts almost everywhere around the car, and hence the statement.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25082011075.jpg

Well, arnt we speculating too much?.
Old 30th September 2011, 22:35   #9355
BHPian

I don't know how it happened. Got it as an email forward.

Name:  timing.jpg
Views: 4455
Size:  54.4 KB

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2011 at 12:06. Reason: Replacing with a jpeg version so that others can easily view the thumbnail
Old 1st October 2011, 02:17   #9356
Senior - BHPian

yesterday evening when returning from home i got nudged!

i was in front of BDA complex 3rd block Koramangala, waiting at the signal. that's a three lane road which usually gets converted to four or sometimes five lane road. as the signal goes green, i start moving and all of a sudden there is a thud! i look back and i see a black Indica had hit my car on the right back. i slow down and gesture the driver to pull over to the left. i too pull to the side, put on the hazard lights and get down from the car.

one look and the impact doesn't seem to be much. the Indica just scraped the right rear wheel arch. i wait for the guys in the Indica to get out and i speak to them in God's own language (the vehicle was from Palakkad). i ask the driver where was he looking when driving the car; he said he came to the left when the Omni beside him swerved to the left.

i looked at my car, looked at the driver and thought i'll just let it go. no point unnecessarily dragging the issue. before parting i told the driver of the Indica that next time someone swerves into him, brake instead of going sideways! this time if was me; next time it could be a family on a two wheeler and they could really get hurt.

end of story

Last edited by IronH4WK : 1st October 2011 at 02:18.
IronH4WK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 06:28   #9357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
Hello

Sorry about this.
Hey I ve seen this same pic on your FB. Was this a recent sighting?
Old 1st October 2011, 12:46   #9358
BHPian

This happened with me about a year ago. Was travelling at @20 kmph due to a slight hump on the road. Suddenly there was a loud cracking sound. Before i knew what was going on, THUD. In an instant, I unlocked the door, the seat belt was bit of a struggle under panic situation. All this time, the tree was slowly inching its way down over the passenger side. Luckily i was alone in the car, and more amazingly no one else got hurt on the road. A white Swift suffered a shattered windshield and bruises on its bonnet.

My car could only be removed, after an army of fire tenders with heavy duty chain saws sliced through the tree.

The pathetic T.A.S.S here in Goa, kept the car for over two months for the required repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0000.jpg  

a_myth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 15:57   #9359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
This happened with me about a year ago. Was travelling at @20 kmph due to a slight hump on the road. Suddenly there was a loud cracking sound. Before i knew what was going on, THUD. In an instant, I unlocked the door, the seat belt was bit of a struggle under panic situation. All this time, the tree was slowly inching its way down over the passenger side. Luckily i was alone in the car, and more amazingly no one else got hurt on the road. A white Swift suffered a shattered windshield and bruises on its bonnet.

My car could only be removed, after an army of fire tenders with heavy duty chain saws sliced through the tree.

The pathetic T.A.S.S here in Goa, kept the car for over two months for the required repairs.
This was very dangerous situation and felt happy that there was no passenger in the car, however it still is a panic situation as you are inside the car when the tree fell off. How was the car taken care did the insurance cover all the damage ? because this is not an man made accident did insurance agree to this situation and what are the repairs taken up because it's the left side 'a' pillar which is damaged and did you change the body.
Old 1st October 2011, 16:55   #9360
BHPian

Had a close shave today on the noida expressway.
The expressway has 3 lanes. I was in the right most lane at the time overtaking a slow moving people carrier winger.
There was a Scorpio ahead of me (at about 100 ft) and I was doing about 85 km/h.
Suddenly the Scorpio swerved to the left and I see a broken down truck bang in front of me.
Had to brake hard, let the winger pass ahead of me and then cut left. Even then my right front wheel went over a tyre kept on the road just before the broken down truck. Then the rear wheel went over the tyre on the road. My car was on 2 left tyres for about a second.
Thankfully I stayed calm, let the car land on all 4, then steered, slowly braked and stopped on the kerb about 300 ft ahead from the incident.
Whew! Trust me it was an experience

Broken down vehicles on the right most lane and incoming traffic from the wrong side, am damn pissed off right now!

Tyre wall has a cut, will go tomm to a tyre shoppe for inspection. Front bumper will need replacement :(
Suspension and underbody check will be done tomorrow.

Last edited by nitin.rai : 1st October 2011 at 16:56.

Most Viewed