Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 23:51   #9436
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Here is something I saw whiole on our way back to Bangalore. This must have been about 50 km from Hubli on the GQ.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1000425.jpg

And this one was 50 km from Ankola, while on the way to Hubli.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1000364.jpg

Truckers don't seem to understand the weight they lug around when they drive on highways. they don't know from adam how to control their vehicle and simply swerve when they see something in their way. There were just two of a dozen accidents i'd seen in our 1400 km drive.
Old 8th October 2011, 00:16   #9437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Is this a banged up Endeavor? It looks like it went under something, though I find it hard to imagine, how can an Endeavor go 'under' something? This was taken from my office cafeteria, this one was got here on a flat bed. I thought they didn't make flatbed trucks big enough to get Endeavors, but this one came to the repair shop on a 'big' flatbed!

Also, Saakshi TV seems to be a south indian tv channel, so it beats me how a car belonging to a south indian tv channel ended up in Pune?

Attachment 823076
These news channel car's have a antenna on the roof, so I think they've covered it up to protect against rain/dust. I don't think it went under something.
Apple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 01:43   #9438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Is this a banged up Endeavor? It looks like it went under something, though I find it hard to imagine, how can an Endeavor go 'under' something? This was taken from my office cafeteria, this one was got here on a flat bed. I thought they didn't make flatbed trucks big enough to get Endeavors, but this one came to the repair shop on a 'big' flatbed!

Also, Saakshi TV seems to be a south indian tv channel, so it beats me how a car belonging to a south indian tv channel ended up in Pune?

Attachment 823076
These Endeavor belong to a news paper and news channel called "SAAKSHI" which has FORD Endeavor as their studio units unlike other media channels having Innova as their units. Regarding toe trucks esp flat bed for a Endeavor shouldn't be an issue wherein toe service cater for all types of vehicles even in India however depends on the service center as well, yes I wouldn't doubt if it was a normal Endeavor but this is a studio unit hence I am surprised.

Last edited by chanu : 8th October 2011 at 01:44.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 06:53   #9439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Lots of vehicles have ABS switch. Normally in dash or side of dash.
What was I thinking or ....

My bad It is air bag switch. ABS /EBD etc. can be turned off by removing the relevant fuse. Lots of rallying people do this.
Old 8th October 2011, 13:07   #9440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
. I remember some years old reports of a Laura suddenly swerving at speed like 200kph at India Gate, Delhi. The car crashed but didn't leave ground in the process.
Yes. The Laura had crashed into the boundary wall of a building whose design our office had done. I made the drawings for the particular boundary wall a few years ago.

And I don't believe that 200 kph speed one little bit. If you see the corner of Zakir Hussain Marg and the India Gate C-Hexagon, even Ferraris wouldn't be taking them at that speed. The accident reconstruction skills of Delhi Police have always been highly questionable.
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 13:28   #9441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Yes. The Laura had crashed into the boundary wall of a building whose design our office had done. I made the drawings for the particular boundary wall a few years ago.
Wow, you designed that boundary? Kudos to you!

That explains your handle (username).

Quote:
And I don't believe that 200 kph speed one little bit. If you see the corner of Zakir Hussain Marg and the India Gate C-Hexagon, even Ferraris wouldn't be taking them at that speed. The accident reconstruction skills of Delhi Police have always been highly questionable.
I had been thinking that too! 200kph around that particular corner is ridiculous. Driving at 60kph in that corner and still keeping in my lane in my Figo was pretty nervous for me.
Old 8th October 2011, 13:37   #9442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, you designed that boundary? Kudos to you!

That explains your handle (username).
That boundary wall is a straight replica of the original boundary wall of Jaipur House (National Gallery of Modern Art, NGMA) on the C-Hexagon side. So in a way its not our original design but a replica of a 80 year old design with lesser (cheaper) material used. When our office designed the New Wing (the new blocks of the NGMA which you can see from the Zakir Husain Marg), I was the one who made the drawings of the boundary wall, as a fresh architect, back in 2004-5. I know that building and its surroundings like the back of my hand, and was quite shocked when I read about the accident.

Quote:
I had been thinking that too! 200kph around that particular corner is ridiculous. Driving at 60kph in that corner and still keeping in my lane in my Figo was pretty nervous for me.
I take that corner in 3rd gear at 40-50 kph and even then most cars nearby are shocked. 200 kph is near impossible on that corner.

After that incident, whenever I read "such-and-such was driving his "luxury" car at 100 / 120 /160 / 200 kph and killed the poor pavement dweller / bystander / cyclist / motorcyclist", I always read it with a bit of scepticism. Who decides what speed the car was doing? Does an average eyewtiness / by-stander even know how many metres in a second does a car travelling at 100 kph cover?

Also, I remember in this incident that the only person to survive was the only one wearing a seat belt. I think the other guys' airbags (and the Laura has quite a few of them in L&K) never inflated.

Last edited by architect : 8th October 2011 at 13:38.
Old 8th October 2011, 13:48   #9443
BHPian

Quote:
Who decides what speed the car was doing? Does an average eyewtiness / by-stander even know how many metres in a second does a car travelling at 100 kph cover?
That's a good point. There is simply no need to speculate about speed in case of accident scene.

Quote:
Also, I remember in this incident that the only person to survive was the only one wearing a seat belt. I think the other guys' airbags (and the Laura has quite a few of them in L&K) never inflated.
That's what I had in mind while buying my Figo too. So many people on T-BHP put emphasis on safety and ask to go for highest model of a car to avail airbags.

In my opinion, while wearing seat belts, the benefit of airbags are either minimized or nullified. While travelling, I ask even the rear passengers to wear seat belts.

What's more, I would happily buy a car if it had airbags in sides but there seems to be no such car in India. In India, manufacturers just seem to add some balloons in front and call it safe cars while sending a car with all kinds of airbags (including side airbags) to NCAP to get stars.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 8th October 2011 at 13:50. Reason: correcting a mistake in last line
Old 8th October 2011, 15:09   #9444
BHPian

Incident on IRR kormangala today. Black Innova facing towards Kormangala and lying on left of road going to Indiranagar. Apparently while travelling from indira nagar at high speed this innova jumped divider and ended up on other side. No details of anyone getting hurt
Old 8th October 2011, 15:49   #9445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
yes perfect. what happened was , i was merrily cruising @100kmph in my linea and we had already crossed belgaum and next cities.
then comes a place somewhere near davanagere and a honda city is trying to play foolish and i try to showcase him the high speed handling power of my linea.

@ 140kmph there was a big curve and on the big divider some kids were swaying hands and jumping, and were showing something on the road.

it was too late before i realized that on the dark black newly laid road there is a dark black camouflaged huge speed breaker. i saw in the rear view mirror that the honda city was closing in. within microseconds i put on my hazard blinkers , cut the lane to extreme left and slammed my brakes the hardest ever in my life.

this all drama happened at @ 100-110 kmph and the honda city driver too saw the breakers and he too slammed the brakes hard and was in parallel to me.

what happened inside my linea was - my heart had stopped beating,the seat belts tightened on me and my cousin sitting on front seat, my wifey and cousins wifey tilted totally to front with the seat also almost tilted for a second.

Man, you are lucky. I think I know this place and this is one car wrecker installed by authorities without any sign of the impending danger. Just few weeks back (while returning from Kaas) I saw a Volvo B9R flying over these breakers at high speed just next to me. Luckily it was a Volvo and it seems to be in absolute control while flying past, the driver didn't even bother to slow down(probably he either didn't noticed it at all). But still it was a scary sight for us who braked on time to see a Volvo flying. Oh BTW, this was during night around 2.30/3.00 am.
But again, if you are new on the road then better not do speeds like 140kmph, right? I know these roads are inviting but still. I've nowadays developed this habit of slowing down whenever I see a curve or anything that looks like a junction.
Old 8th October 2011, 16:15   #9446
BHPian

This accident happened right outside my office Building. A guy was driving out of the parking and taking a right turn. Looks like he came out pretty fast and a Swaraj mazda (that was also travelling at a good speed) was coming from his right side and hit him almost perpendicularly.

This guy managed to get away without any injuries!! Lucky i would say.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-26092011258-1.jpg  

Old 8th October 2011, 16:40   #9447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
yes perfect. what happened was , i was merrily cruising @100kmph in my linea and we had already crossed belgaum and next cities.
then comes a place somewhere near davanagere and a honda city is trying to play foolish and i try to showcase him the high speed handling power of my linea.

@ 140kmph there was a big curve and on the big divider some kids were swaying hands and jumping, and were showing something on the road.

it was too late before i realized that on the dark black newly laid road there is a dark black camouflaged huge speed breaker. i saw in the rear view mirror that the honda city was closing in. within microseconds i put on my hazard blinkers , cut the lane to extreme left and slammed my brakes the hardest ever in my life.

this all drama happened at @ 100-110 kmph and the honda city driver too saw the breakers and he too slammed the brakes hard and was in parallel to me.

what happened inside my linea was - my heart had stopped beating,the seat belts tightened on me and my cousin sitting on front seat, my wifey and cousins wifey tilted totally to front with the seat also almost tilted for a second.

my linea stopped as if someone threw a 10ton anchor but still jumped over the speedbreaker with a big bang and a explosion like sound.

what happened with honda city - heart of the driver came in his mouth, luckily only 2 people were in honda city, the honda city couldnt stop and banged with its nose over the breaker and a big exploding sound emerged and the honda city was flying in air for a second or 2 , it stopped with one tyre over the skirting of the divider.

the front right tyre was burried inside the wheel arc, and lots of fluids leaking from engine bay and scratches on front bumper. i think the struts broke off.

at this moment i felt very proud that my 10 lac rs spent on linea are "Paisa Wasool"

we all cursed the govt a lot. the honda city driver was damn frustrated and was giving lot of dirty bad words to the road authorities.

there was a huge crowd that gathered, and those kids were laughing merily at us. i gave a 20rs note to the kid for saving us

the rest of the journey both myself and my cousin drove with eyes wide open and searching of speed breakers everywhere. and luckily we dint jump any further.

when i reached ooty i went to TAFE access and put my linea on ramp and found that there is no evidence of any bang on the underbody anywhere.

the engine guard is made of tank sheet metal.
You are very lucky to get away with that incident unscathed. Unscientific speed breakers are so dangerous on our highways. I drive from Bangalore to Belgaum very often. I have counted a total of two speedbreakers on the entire stretch of highway. There used to be three earlier, one of which was at the end of a banked curve. This was recently removed , probable due to accidents such as described by you. These two breakers have good warning signs on both sides of the road which allow the driver to slow down. Guess the one you have experienced is a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
But again, if you are new on the road then better not do speeds like 140kmph, right? I know these roads are inviting but still. I've nowadays developed this habit of slowing down whenever I see a curve or anything that looks like a junction.
It is better to be careful even if you are a regular on a particular highway as you never know when a new breaker is installed. We just cannot assume anything while driving. Just trust what your eyes can see on that particular day. It is always advisable to slow down to a controllable speed in curves, even if it is a long wide curve on 4L highways. You never know what greets you at the end of the curve.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 8th October 2011 at 16:43.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 16:58   #9448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
It is better to be careful even if you are a regular on a particular highway as you never know when a new breaker is installed. We just cannot assume anything while driving. Just trust what your eyes can see on that particular day. It is always advisable to slow down to a controllable speed in curves, even if it is a long wide curve on 4L highways. You never know what greets you at the end of the curve.
Yup, one need to be alert all the time, otherwise the moment you drop your guard, you may become just another statistical data adding to the growing numbers of a long gory list. There is no other way out to survive on our roads but to be careful in every moment. You can't become complacent any moment from the moment you take out your car till the moment you park it back.
Old 8th October 2011, 17:26   #9449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Guess the one you have experienced is a new one.

yeah it was a new ones, which i could make out as it was dark black in color on dark black newly patched road. i was looking at this speed breaker while returning too, but i dint find it, guess it was only on one side and not both sides.

a jumbo speedbreaker on a national highway that to NH4 was the last thing i would have expected. the vision on the road and sides was very clear. there were no vehicles in sight ahead of me, smooth roads and 2-3 kids on the divider on right hand side swaying hands.

you are right, you should be very careful about new roads.
i learnt a hard lesson about the roads in south and the whole journey i dint exceed 120 anywhere and was damn conscious and my eyes were continuously scanning for speedbreakers and till i reached tirupati i encountered hell lots of them, all jumbo size. they are all over the south.

but if i rethink about them i think they are very much necessary in south seeing the amount of truckers and sick bus drivers all over. they are build jumbo size for trapping heavy commercial vehicles.
but sadly our cars face the wrath.
Old 8th October 2011, 19:56   #9450
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Is that a showroom or washing bay for multibrands...I asked this because I find a UVA and a ZEN.
The UVA is too close to the car...hope it was not damanged.
It must be such a bad feeling to get a car repaired even before running it.
UVA got damaged. Must be owned by staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Feel sad for the owner. Hope it was not a "For REGN." vehicle awaiting insurance formalities. It may take him years to overcome the devastated feeling psychologically - in order to enjoy driving again.

-Ragul
Already registered.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks