Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 19:17   #9481
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

My car was parked outside my friends apartment and another car of the same make - coming out of the neighboring apartment feels like kissing my car - hard! :(

The driver - a young chap - working for a big company - said he blanked out for a moment because he came out of his house and directly under the blazing sun on Sunday @ 11:00 AM. Result ---->

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car2.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car3.jpg

Though it looks like its a minor damage - the radiator/ac unit is yanked off. the impact hit another beemer parked behind mine - my car was pushed back almost 6 ft from where it was parked.
Old 10th October 2011, 19:31   #9482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Though it looks like its a minor damage - the radiator/ac unit is yanked off. the impact hit another beemer parked behind mine - my car was pushed back almost 6 ft from where it was parked.
That was sad. Do update us with the cost of repair of radiator/ac unit. If one goes by pics, it looks like a minor hit.
Old 10th October 2011, 19:35   #9483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
That was sad. Do update us with the cost of repair of radiator/ac unit. If one goes by pics, it looks like a minor hit.
I left the car at the Hyundai accident repair center and this morning went and filled out the insurance papers. the surveyor was to have come in the course of the day and assess, which has been done I guess. So will get to know the costs etc by tomorrow I hope.

I should've clicked the pics of the sheared radiator/ac unit as well.
Old 10th October 2011, 19:47   #9484
BHPian

Quote:
Was the parking brake not applied? And even then that's (the radiator unit) a lot of damage for such a small impact. Which vehicle hit your I-20??
Old 10th October 2011, 19:50   #9485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Was the parking brake not applied? And even then that's (the radiator unit) a lot of damage for such a small impact. Which vehicle hit your I-20??
I always ALWAYS park with the parking brake applied! it was another i20 which hit mine. and the pavement was recently done, so there was gravel below the tires, that could have given it a "sliding" effect.

Even I am wondering how come so much internal injuries without much external one's. Now my worry is - what more internal injuries I could possibly miss upon.
Old 11th October 2011, 10:32   #9486
BHPian

Quote:
I always ALWAYS park with the parking brake applied! it was another i20 which hit mine. and the pavement was recently done, so there was gravel below the tires, that could have given it a "sliding" effect.

Even I am wondering how come so much internal injuries without much external one's. Now my worry is - what more internal injuries I could possibly miss upon.
Real sad incident, sorry to hear about it. Do get your car checked throughly for any internal damages. BTW, didn't you apprehend the guy? Did he agree to pay up, partially at-least?
Old 11th October 2011, 11:23   #9487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ Wonderful gesture, mitrajdeep.

It's really shocking how we treat drivers (not to mention other paid service providers) like sub-human creatures that deserve no compassion or respect.
One of my close friends who is also a TBhpian (PravinSN) had a similar experience somewhere around 2005 when the tired driver failed to notice a parked tanker on a 2 lane highway near Bangalore and rammed his brand new Versa into the back of the truck ! Everyone was lucky to have escaped with minor injuries .

Later on I remember Pravin mentioning that as this was his first highway drive ,he had hired this driver from some tourist agency and the driver who had just returned from some night driving trip was asked to go ahead with this trip !!

I know most intercity bus/truck drivers work in similar fashion .Unfortunately ,like many other issues on the road,even working hours for drivers is something thats grossly neglected ...and none of us are bothered as well !
Old 11th October 2011, 11:31   #9488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I left the car at the Hyundai accident repair center and this morning went and filled out the insurance papers. the surveyor was to have come in the course of the day and assess, which has been done I guess. So will get to know the costs etc by tomorrow I hope.

I should've clicked the pics of the sheared radiator/ac unit as well.
Why are you paying for this? Isn't it the fault of the other guy? Let him pay from his insurance!!
Old 11th October 2011, 14:58   #9489
Distinguished - BHPian

Shubz... sympathy. And agreement that this young guy should pay.

Nobody with any sense (and/or maturity?) drives out of premises with so much force as to cause the amount of damage that your car has sufferred. blinded-for-a-moment is hogwash. Even if it were true, there might have been a bump, and some dents, not major damage with your car pushed six feet into another car.

It is amazing how the plastic parts spring back into shape. In a minor bump, this is a great advantage. In a worse accident, it just hides the damage inside.
Old 11th October 2011, 15:04   #9490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
,,,,,the impact hit another beemer parked behind mine.....
Sorry to hear about the incident. Hope you get your ride back in perfect shape very soon.

BTW, what happen to the Beemer? Did it manage to escape without any damage?
Old 11th October 2011, 15:53   #9491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I know most intercity bus/truck drivers work in similar fashion .Unfortunately ,like many other issues on the road,even working hours for drivers is something thats grossly neglected ...and none of us are bothered as well !
I Must appreciate the Himachal roadway for this . All the drivers gets a 2 days rest after a round trip which involved night driving. between trip also ,they get approx 10 hours of rest and if route is more than 500 + KM;s ,there is a Mandatory driver change ,as soon as BUS is about to enter into hills. So In hills, Driver is fresh after a sound sleep. For eg a bus coming from Delhi to kangra , gets a new driver in UNA.

Been traveling in HRTC for whole life now never Saw a Driver sleeping. Conductors though are a different story altogether where as they are supposed to keep a check on drivers not sleeping .
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 20:32   #9492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The driver - a young chap - working for a big company - said he blanked out for a moment because he came out of his house and directly under the blazing sun on Sunday @ 11:00 AM. Result ---->
Sad indeed. How that chap with big company can survive on the road if he gets blanked off so often. I think it is his sheer arrogance. The chap is real bad driver.
Old 11th October 2011, 20:42   #9493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The larger question that should be asked is your second Q - why pay so much of money for a car without safety features, the fact that all died in the car is a shock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Check out the picture and decide yourself if you are expecting any 20L Car to survive that crash.

And too many loose parameters you have ignored. A car is safe as long as safely driven, seat belts locked(in all seats) and having some road sense while driving over 100kmph.

I just drove back from Banglore last night. I was doing a 100 in my jetta while i saw some senseless Alto drivers doing over 100-120.

Knowing the limits of a car is very important. Any car over 100kmph is a moving mass of destruction if it hits something as solid as a truck.
This has to be the most depressing thread on team-bhp. Really sad to see so many people un-necessarily pass away in road accidents. Read the telegraph article, so many of them were in their 20s - imagine the plight of their parents and families.

Trying to understand what should be done to avoid accidents like these - i guess some of the obvious ones are control speed (80-100 kmph max), all passengers wearing seat-belts, and maybe some of the car safety features like crumple zones/ABS/airbags help a bit.

Looks like in this case speed was way above 100, and so the chevy was completely scrapped. Or maybe even speeds of 100 are dangerous enough to cause this kind of damage ?

This makes me think that cars should have warning beeps for speeding also, just like for passengers not wearing seat-belts or doors not being closed. Maybe a beeping sound would wake up the passengers and get them to instruct the driver to keep within a speed limit.

The highways have improved a lot in last 10 years, but looks like we need to get more disciplined. Or maybe, there is a case for devices like speed governers, even in private cars
Old 11th October 2011, 21:02   #9494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Sad indeed. How that chap with big company can survive on the road if he gets blanked off so often. I think it is his sheer arrogance. The chap is real bad driver.
I wasn't around when that happened but the good thing is the chap hung around instead of scooting away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Sorry to hear about the incident. Hope you get your ride back in perfect shape very soon.

I just got back from the workshop - Insurance guys have approved and work has begun as in paint matching is on for the front bumper. Radiator/ac unit will be worked upon simultaneously.

BTW, what happen to the Beemer? Did it manage to escape without any damage?
Beemer rear bumper was bumped into and minor scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Real sad incident, sorry to hear about it. Do get your car checked throughly for any internal damages. BTW, didn't you apprehend the guy? Did he agree to pay up, partially at-least?
I have asked the service center guys to do a thorough check up and I don't want any compromises as far as fixing it is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Shubz... sympathy. And agreement that this young guy should pay.

Nobody with any sense (and/or maturity?) drives out of premises with so much force as to cause the amount of damage that your car has sufferred. blinded-for-a-moment is hogwash. Even if it were true, there might have been a bump, and some dents, not major damage with your car pushed six feet into another car.

It is amazing how the plastic parts spring back into shape. In a minor bump, this is a great advantage. In a worse accident, it just hides the damage inside.
you are right, even I was amazed that the fiber just bounced back into shape.

The young guy - I have made him understand that he needs to pay for the towing charges, the extra charges that insurance will not cover, the no claim bonus that I will be losing on renewal etc. Another factor is that he is afraid that I am thorough with the local language and could influence the cops too (as I was the interpreter at the police station all along)

I understand he should've been made to pay for the entire cost of repair - that would be 3rd party claim - for which I need to file a FIR - both the vehicles will be confiscated by the police, then court hearing, then release, then vehicle goes for repairs. So didn't want to go through this route. May be I wasn't totally right with this approach.

Finally - Thanks a lot guys for empathizing with me. Hope I get my car back real soon. Its a real pain to commute now with the weather being so bad and my other vehicle is an open top Jeep!
Old 11th October 2011, 21:59   #9495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car was parked outside my friends apartment and another car of the same make - coming out of the neighboring apartment feels like kissing my car - hard! :(

Attachment 825001
Attachment 825002
Attachment 825004

aw shucks man! sorry about your car!

i'm actually surprised that although the damage looks visually less, internal damage is more!

i was once rear ended by a RE500 at around 60kmph (the guy fell off the bike); didn't even make a scratch on the rear bumper, which was surprise considering the impact!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks